• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most probable N64 Mini Lineup

redfox088

Banned
The N64 was my first console(I'm almost 30, so it's not because I'm young but because my family was poor). I have many fond memories of that time in my life, but with the amount of licensing hell Nintendo would have to go through to get certain games which games do you guys think would end up making the cut? This is assuming the console is <$100 USD and has a minimum of 15-20 games.

*GUIDELINES-• One game per series
• Consider if Licensing/cost would make it
Impractical
• brief reason why said game should be
Included

My list(in no particular order)

1. Mario 64- duh
2. Star Fox 64- Best star fox game IMO
3. Mario Kart 64- best racer on the console
4. Bomberman Second Attack- best bomberman IMO
5. Mario Party- the OG Mini game series
6. DK 64- the only rare game that has a chance really
7. Doom 64- classic FPS
8. Super Smash Bros.
9. Pokémon Stadium 2- cuz folks love those 'mon
10. Pokémon Snap- cheating but c'mon you gotta
11. Kirby and the Crystal Shards- decent side scrolling
platformer
12. Paper Mario- the only good RPG on the damn console
13. 1080 Snowboarding
14. Ocarina of time
15.Mario golf
Man so many great games were 3rd party games. What's on your list?

hqdefault.jpg

That's it.

That's the entire line-up.

FelipeMGM

My guess is that it will have fewer third party games.

The N64 controller for sure is more expensive to make than NES and SNES controllers, so with fewer tp games, they pay less in licenses and can keep the cost in that 60-80 dollar area still

Murrah

Banned
I would have to imagine Sin and Punishment would be on there with it being on Wii and Wii U VC, plus them having to fill out the lineup. In a perfect world Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja would be on there, but I don't consider those too probable (though the SNES Mystical Ninja is on the Super Famicom classic...)

Mugy

Honestly i think making a N64-mini without Rare.ltd games will be just a waste. Unless we talk about 10-12 games....and even then its hard to make a list:

Super Mario 64
Yoshi's Story
Super Smash. Bros
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Pokémon Puzzle League
Ogre Battle 64
Doom 64?
Mario Golf

King_Moc

Banned
Doom 64 would be nice. It's buttery smooth and actually holds up pretty well. I played it on an N64 a couple of months back for the first time in years and was actually pretty shocked.

CryptiK

1. Mario 64
2. Mario Tennis
3. Mario Golf
4. Mario Party
5. Mario Kart 64
6. Super Smash Bros
7. Zelda Ocarina of Time
8. Paper Mario
9. Star Fox 64
10. Snap
11. Stadium 2
12. Diddy Kong Racing
13. Harvest Moon
14. Yoshi Story
15. Snowboard Kids
16. Donkey Kong 64
17. WWF No Mercy
18. Golden Eye (HA!)
19. Banjo-Kazooie (HA!)
20. Superman 64

Pretty self explanatory.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'll go out on a limb and say that I think Rare games on an N64 mini are easily possible. I think modern Microsoft would work out a deal if they were asked.

It's Nintendo games on a Microsoft console (i.e. Goldeneye on Xbox 360) that is the hard part.

Most likely?

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario Party (1, 2, or 3)
Paper Mario
Zelda OoT
Zelda Majora's Mask
Smash Bros
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox 64
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story
Kirby 64
Excite Bike 64

What I wish Nintendo would license:

Goldeneye (1% chance)
Rogue Squadron (1% chance)
Beetle Adventure Racing (10% chance)
Resident Evil 2 (30% chance)
Any other non-Bond Rare title (50%)

Zalman

I posted this list in the trademark thread:

20 games without Rare:

DK64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Majora's Mask
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2 & 3
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium 1 & 2 (if possible)
Star Fox 64
Mario 64
Smash Bros.
Wave Race
Yoshi's Story
You can remove some games to follow the "one per series" rule.

You might notice these are all first-party games so I actually think the majority of them are essential. I think the list has all the most important ones covered, and it actually looks great even without Rare even if it might feel incomplete. Most of them shouldn't be an issue, although the Pokémon Stadium games could cause a problem since they require Transfer Pak functionality.

I also completely forgot about Sin & Punishment. That could be a cool game to throw on there.

Ridley327

Assuming that Rare is off the table and they're trying to keep it at a T-rating at a maximum, this is what I think is most likely:

First party:
-Super Mario 64
-Mario Kart 64
-Star Fox 64
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-Yoshi Story's
-F-Zero X
-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
-Mario Party 2 (the first one is never getting re-released)
-Paper Mario
-Mario Golf
-Wave Race 64 (based on the updated VC rom that stripped the long-expired licensing)
-Pokemon Snap
-Super Smash Bros.
-Donkey Kong 64

Third party:
-Bomberman 64
-Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
-Mischief Makers
-Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
-Mega Man 64
-Harvest Moon 64

I'd expect them to keep the game count around the same as the SNES classic. My list has some VC debuts to keep things interesting and give it a better spread of genres, but I don't think there's anything in the N64 library that could come in as a SURPRISE inclusion, unless they did something insane like including Expansion Kit with F-Zero X. This would, of course, be a very different list to consider if Rare is on-board, and a lot harder to figure out.

dci260

I hope Rare titles will be included, but it's probably more realistic to assume the game selection will be essentially what is available on Wii U Virtual Console.

21 Games:

Super Mario 64
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Tennis
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Sin and Punishment
Mario Golf
1080° Snowboarding
Yoshi's Story
Wave Race 64
Excitebike 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mario Party 2
Mario Kart 64
Pokémon Snap
F-Zero X
Star Fox 64
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur
Harvest Moon 64
Bomberman 64

Maybe cut out Ogre Battle or Bomberman to make it 20, but I'd buy it.

EDIT:
For some more possibilities, the original Wii VC also had:

Crusin' USA
(Not a chance in hell)
Pokemon Puzzle League
Super Smash Bros.
Bomberman Hero

Kneefoil

Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie!

Okay those aren't probable but I can dream dangit ;_;
I could almost see BK being there because Nintendo and Microsoft seem to be pretty chummy this generation with all that Minecraft and cross-platform play stuff. However, Nintendo will surely have DK64 in the package, and they'll think "That's a Rareware game -
that quota's filled. We don't need anything else from them."

Zalman

Mario Party 1 is also inferior in every way to 2. 2 even includes some of the best mini-games from the first game. Ideally I would like both 2 and 3, but I can see them only going with 2.

Platy

Why say this when they went all out and gave us star fox 2 for SNES mini?

Because for all we know the game was basicaly finished. The N64 does not have anything on this level. At best the N64DD stuffbut they aren't exactly unreleased

Also 20 games like the op said is crazy.

NES had 30, SNES had 20, N64 having 10 is the natural progression.

ctrl+f majora's mask
0 hits

You all suck.

Love the game, but they either put 2 Zelda games or just Ocarina and my vote is just ocarina

C4Lukins

Such a shit machine. Mario 64, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox, Goldeneye, Turok, Wave Race, the rest of the decent games are available on the Rare collection for Xbox. Not a good period for Nintendo.

Edit: oh and the two Zelda games. Not sure how I forgot those.

Baleoce

I'd have to pass if they don't manage to come to a deal with Rare. They make up too large a part of the more memorable games on that system.

Ridley327

Because for all we know the game was basicaly finished. The N64 does not have anything on this level. At best the N64DD stuffbut they aren't exactly unreleased

10 is just too few for what will wind up as an even more expensive hardware, as the priced will probably hit $100.

Maybe their "Star Fox 2" game will be 40 Winks. Or they could put 64DD content back into F-Zero X and Ocarina Of Time.

Actually they will probably put Master Quest on it.

How about an N64 controller with built in Rumble & Controller Paks at the same time?

Get the rumble support from the Japanese Mario 64 and put it in the other ROMs.

8bit

Knows the Score
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Wetrix

I wouldn't really put faith in the natural progression of losing 10, but it will be less than 20. Doesn't bother me so much as there are far less must have N64 games. My worry is we won't get Banjo, or Perfect Dark because of Microsoft and maturity rating.

Going by Wii virtual console values NES games were worth 500, Snes 800 and N64 1000. NES virtual console was valued at 15,000, Snes virtual console at 16,000 (excluding Star Fox 2) so I think we could expect 15-17 N64 games to be considered at a similar value.

redfox088

Banned
My guess is that it will have fewer third party games.

The N64 controller for sure is more expensive to make than NES and SNES controllers, so with fewer tp games, they pay less in licenses and can keep the cost in that 60-80 dollar area still
No way it has >10 games at $60-80. Especially if a second controller is included.

dci260

Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 haven't got a chance, they rely too much on transfer pak support.
Probably the same reason they have yet to be on VC (which is a shame because when it comes to multiplayer their minigames are some of my favorite things to play on N64). =[

redfox088

Banned
I'll go out on a limb and say that I think Rare games on an N64 mini are easily possible. I think modern Microsoft would work out a deal if they were asked.

It's Nintendo games on a Microsoft console (i.e. Goldeneye on Xbox 360) that is the hard part.
Anything is possible because everything has a price, but I don't think the price will be reasonable.

we need golden eye, blast corps, perfect dark, banjo kazooie and tooie but its out of the question.

1080, excite bike, wave race and pilot wings would be great too

Top Bottom