• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most probable N64 Mini Lineup

gogogow

Here's the OPTIMAL list. 20 Games.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Super Smash Bros.
5. GoldenEye 007
6. Wave Race 64
7. F-Zero X
8. Mario Party 2
9. Star Fox 64
10. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter / Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (either one)
11. Ogre Battle 64
12. Banjo-Kazooie
13. WWF No Mercy
14. Mario Tennis
15. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
16. Paper Mario
17. International Superstar Soccer '98
18. Jet Force Gemini
19. Beetle Adventure Racing
20. WinBack

[BONUS ROUND]
21. Perfect Dark
22. Space Station Silicon Valley
23. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
24. Excitebike 64
25. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Good list, but I don't think anything with licenses will be re-released, unless Nintendo wants to pay Volkswagen.

I would like to see Body Harvest on the N64 mini, never got to play it.

Good list, but I don't think anything with licenses will be re-released, unless Nintendo wants to pay Volkswagen.

I agree, I was just going for what I think would be the optimal list.

We're not likely to get a decent chunk of games I put on my list, sadly.

mrmickfran

Hopefully it can have Rare games, otherwise, it's pointless. It would also be amazing if they allowed M-Rated games

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros.
Kirby 64
Star Fox 64
Paper Mario
Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
F-Zero X
Yoshi's Story
Sin & Punishment

Not much I can think of Third party wise. Easily one of the worst 3rd party lineups for a Nintendo console.

Edit: I could probably swap out a Mario Party for one more Rare game like Jet Force Gemini or Killer Instinct Gold.

Edit 2: Slid out a Mario Party for F-Zero. Can't believe I forgot about that.

I feel like it would come with 12 games. Dunno why, just feels like the amount Nintendo would go with. On that basis:

Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2
Super Smash Bros.
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Pokemon Snap
Starfox 64
Banjo-Kazooie
F-Zero X
Goldeneye
Mario Kart 64

Is there a 13th "bonus" game the N64 could have? Something rare or unreleased like SF2 with the SNES mini?

hqdefault.jpg

That's it.

That's the entire line-up.

There has never been a better first post.

The world needs to bump to the bump to the bump to the bass again.

thefro

we need golden eye, blast corps, perfect dark, banjo kazooie and tooie but its out of the question.

1080, excite bike, wave race and pilot wings would be great too

I'd think MS might license a couple of the Rare games or two for this.

Of course we wouldn't get all the Rare titles that should be on a N64 mini.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I dunno about the whole list, but I don't know why so many lists are skipping on Wave Race and 1080; two titles that'll almost certainly be there.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Even if it means increased cost to the system, I really hope Nintendo can do a deal with Microsoft, Activision and THQ Nordic (?) to get Goldeneye, Rare games and WWF No Mercy on there.

WWF no mercy or WM2000

If those are the two I'm thinking of (the more technical wrestling games), then definitely. Everyone I knew with a N64 played those games a ton, whether they had them or they had a friend with it. I'd love to see those.

I guess Rare games are out of the question.

World Drivier Championship isn't probable, but I'd like to see it.

I tried to make a cool, balenced list but I failed as that's likely impossible. I also don't see how the N64 library could support the price of four controllers, the lack of Rare Replay games, and the lack of a Goldeneye entry. IMHO, N64 games are way more suited to Virtual Consoles, there's just not enough timeless entries left without Rare. Or better yet, just remake Super Mario 64, Wave Race 64, and Paper Mario on the 3DS, call it a day.

I'd rather Nintendo make an all-in-one GB / GBC / GBA Classic Combo portable. Bundle all the great potable games including Tetris GB with a quality backlit IPS Screen. I'd pay $150 for one of those.

Oh God all of these "worthless without Rare" posts. I mean, 1) no, and 2) Rare games are overrated as fuck.

The N64 line-up on the Wii U VC would already be a fantastic collection, and is probably mostly in line with what we'd get, with a handful dropped off and a couple random wildcards.

All I ask is that they keep the AKi games off the thing. I enjoy scrolling past classic threads knowing I'm not really missing much. But a proper working easily accessible AKi port would have me fully in the whirlwind of shit that is Nintendo's stock estimates. No thanks.

Yep. Especially after I dug my 21 year old N64 out of the cupboard for some sweet No Mercy action only to find that it had decided to stop working.

EvB

The NES and SNES minis have all been first party stuff right?

What has the language situation been like?, there are a handful of games that weee never release in Europe’s

higemaru

The NES and SNES minis have all been first party stuff right?

What has the language situation been like?, there are a handful of games that weee never release in Europe’s
There's been some 3rd party stuff. I think Tecmo Bowl and Final Fantasy were on the NES one. Not sure what the SNES lineup had but I think that has a 3rd party game or two.

Well, I don't know if Nintendo will make a N64 Classic. The good news either way is that after Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, and Star Fox 64 3D on the 3DS, I have to imagine that more N64 remakes will come eventually. I have no doubt that someday Super Mario 64 will be properly updated with analog controls. An "A-team" produced Wave Race Switch sequel would be awesome. And paper Mario is a likely candidate for a remake someday. I'm honestly out of must have N64 games for me after that.

DogDude

Because of obvious licensing issues, zero chance of WWF No Mercy or Wrestlemania 2000
I pretty much agree. But I do believe they'd only have to go to wwe since they're technically characters and wwe owns their licenses. Whereas other sports games you'd have to go to every each individual assuming they're retired and out of the PA. Still don't see it happening.

Alright, I'll make a list as well and see how it closely resembles others (feel free to comment/add suggestions I may have missed). I also will prioritize Nintendo published games over others, since its easier to have in the mini that way.

My N64 mini collection (no specifc order):
1) Super Mario 64 - cause obviously.
2) Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - may be GOAT, so gotta be here.
3) Mario Kart 64 - It needs a Mario Kart, and battle mode!
4) Donkey Kong 64 - Nintendo owned, so no issue to have it on the mini.
5) StarFox 64 - again, owned by Nintendo, so easy to add.
6) Super Smash Bros. -Needs to be in this collection.
7) Wave Race 64
8) Mario Party 2 - Overall better than #1, and a party game, so it scratches of having that genre.
9) Paper Mario - Needs an RPG, and its the birth of a current Nintendo franchise.
10) Banjo Kazooie - it kinda needs to be here, and I guess MS willbe willing to cooperate with Nintendo. I dont see Conker ever making it, since its an M rated game.
11) Goldeneye 007 - Its too popular to not be in a N64 collection. Somehow, they make it work and this is in for sure.
12) F-Zero X - Again, popular franchise, would gain major points to add it in this collection.
13) Kirby 64 Crystal Shards - It need a Kirby game, otherwise its not a Nintendo collection
14) Pokemon Snap - Odd and popular enough that they add it, just for fun.
15) Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire - Again, hard not to include this. N64 had some good Star Wars games, so add this gem. This overtakes Rogue Squadron in my mind.
16) Glover - Gotta add some more good yet obscure games, so this is in.
17) Mischief Makers - Personal fav, and also a fan classic and great game. This goes in.
18) Turok 2 Seeds of Evil - Its Turok and another great FPS, so its in.
19) WWF No Mercy - I and many have so many young memories of playing the WWF games on N64, so one game needs to make it.
20) 1080 Snowboarding - Cause it needs a sports game, and Mario Tennis/Golf arent are memerable.

Damn, I missed a lot of gems.

EmiPrime

Oh God all of these "worthless without Rare" posts. I mean, 1) no, and 2) Rare games are overrated as fuck.

Truth.

I think it would have between 10 and 15 games (20 would be uncharacteristically generous), all Nintendo's, no licenses so these are my picks:

Mario 64
Wave Race 64
F-Zero X (with expansion)
Paper Mario
Sin & Punishment
Smash Bros
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64
Yoshi's Story
Zelda OOT
Zelda MM
Mario Kart 64
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Pokemon Snap

EvB

You need some more niche games on there

Rakuga Kids
Mystical Ninja
Mischief Makers
SnowBoard Kids 1/2

ocean

Banned
You can sell this with 10 games and no Rare and it'll still be nostalgia gold:

1. Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Mario Party 2
4. Super Smash Bros.
5. Ocarina of Time
6. Majora's Mask
7. Star Fox
8. F-Zero X
9. Yoshi's Story
10. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
11. Pokémon Stadium
12. Paper Mario

That's a dozen games developed or at least published by Nintendo. If they wanted to pad it out a little more for a longer list, you still have great stuff stuff like Kirby, Mario Tennis, Pokémon Snap, Pilotwings, 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Racer and several more in their publishing catalog.

Non-Rare third parties offer stuff like Bomberman, Mystical Ninja Goemon, and Ogre Battle. There's also the arcade sports games like NFL Blitz, fighters like Mortal Kombat Trilogy, random stuff like Earthworm Jim...this console didn't have a PS2-sized catalogue or anything but you can easily ship it with a solid collection of 10-20 great games.

A bigger wildcard than rare games, for me, would be whether they include any previously unreleased content (as they did with Star Fox 2 for the SNES Classic. I remember reading only a few thousand people ever got a 64DD, so any content released for it would be basically new games for the public at large.

Extreme Padding Edition

Super Mario 64
Pilotwings 64
Wave Race 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Yoshi's Story
F-Zero X
Ocarina of Time
Mario Party 2
Mario Golf
Excitebike 64
Kirby 64
Mario Tennis
Majora's Mask
Paper Mario

Third Party Possibilities:

Bomberman 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Bomberman Hero
Mischief Makers

That's 20 games to the 21 the SNES Classic has. You could also go further add games like S&P, Castlevania and several other 3rd party games I guess. Oh, and all the Pokemon games and Smash. (though as mentioned earlier the Stadium games are in a weird place)
edit: and how could I forget DONKEY KONG 64

They will probably include Mario Party 2 over Mario Party 1. Those mini games in MP1 where you have to spin the control stick were fucking brutal. Also they had some lawsuits because of it. MP1 is not happening.

I think Nintendo could hash a deal between Rare/Microsoft to include some Rare games in there. As Nintendo did allow Xbox Live sign in stuff for Minecraft Switch.

NR1

Realistically both Zelda games will be on this thing.

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Wave Race 64
Pilot Wings 64 (why isn't the original on the SNES?)
Donkey Kong 64
Ocarina of Time
Majoria's Mask
Mario Party (1,2, or 3)
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Snap
Super Smash Bros
Banjo & Kazzoie
Yoshi's Story
1080 Snowboarding
F-Zero X
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark

GoldenEye is in IP hell. Nintendo owns the orignal. Rare developed it. Microsoft owns Rare now. Activision owns the 007 license now. Too many parties involved with their own competing interests.

Top Bottom