• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most probable N64 Mini Lineup

GoldenEye is in IP hell. Nintendo owns the orignal. Rare developed it. Microsoft owns Rare now. Activision owns the 007 license now. Too many parties involved with their own competing interests.
Activision haven't owned the Bond license since 2012. That's why all the Activision Bond games got pulled from digital distribution platforms. The Bond license fundamentally belongs to Danjaq, but the games do to some degree belong to developers/publishers/etc.

Balb

Probable or not I don't think they should bother unless they can get the rights to Goldeneye (other Rare games too but especially Goldeneye). Whether you like the game today or not, it's one of the 2 or 3 most iconic games on the system and was massive in North America (where the majority of N64s were sold).

SCReuter

Doom 64 deserves a slot. Its an original game not a port and will satisfy the fps front since Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are out.

Turok 1/2 is also acceptable. Quake 2 n64 is ehh.

Nah, Nintendo should go after GoldenEye 007. It's the third best-selling title on the platform and one of the system's few first-person shooters not rated M.

Doom, Perfect Dark, Turok, and Quake are all 18 and older.

Galang

Banned
Praying for Bomberman 64 and the least probable Snowboard Kids 2.

We will definitely see Star Fox 64, F-Zero, Wave Race, Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time ... I think!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
banjo kazooie
banjo tooie
killer instinct gold
mischief makers
golden eye
perfect dark
mario golf
forsaken
star wars episode 1 racer
mario 64 (with rumble japan only)
mario kart
mario party 1
mario party 2
mario party 3
yoshi's story
extreme g1
extreme g 2
doom 64
dukenukem 64
turok 1
turok 2
diddy kong racing
pilot wings
conkers bad fur day
zelda ocarina of time
zelda majora's mask
lylat wars (with rumble)
harvest moon 64
earthbound 64 and animal crossing (as never released before)

Fuck top 21 gimme 30
All these idiots adjusting lists below 30 ugh

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Super Smash Bros.
5. Pokémon Stadium
6. Donkey Kong 64
7. Star Fox 64
8. Pokémon Snap
9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10. Wave Race 64
11. Mario Party
12. Mario Tennis
13. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
14. 1080°: Snowboarding
15. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
16. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
17. Bomberman 64
18. Ogre Battle 64

gafneo

Banned
1. Mario collection, 64, Paper, Tennis, Party, Kart
2. Zelda collection, OOT, MM
3. Kirby
4. Yoshi
5. F-Zero
6. Star Fox
7. Wave Race
8. 1080 Snow Boarding
9. Crusin Exotica
10. Goldeneye (permission from Activision)
11. Super Smash Bros
12. Sin & Punishment
13. Diddy Kong Racing (permission from MS)
14. Donkey Kong 64
15. Pokémon collection, Snap, Hey you, Stadium 1,2
16. Nintendo 64 DD collection
Bonus Zelda 64, Mother 64 betas

Rumble Pak built in

BiggNife

Super Mario 64 - Duh
Mario Kart 64 - Also duh
Mario Tennis - the more popular of the two Mario sports games
Mario Party 2 - Generally considered the best MP
Paper Mario - Fills the Rpg slot
F Zero X - Different enough from Mario Kart to fit
Star Fox 64 - The most popular SF
Sin and Punishment - it's already on US VC so it seems inevitable
Pokemon Puzzle League - Panel de Pon is already in the Japanese Snes VC and this doesn't have the Tetris licensing issue
Pokemon Snap - it's so unique that I don't think it matters that it's another Pokemon game
Smash Bros - it's fucking Smash Bros
Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time - Easily one of the most popular Zeldas
Bomberman 64- Konami has had games in the other Classic systems and people have nostalgia for this game specifically
Donkey Kong 64 - They can't use Banjo Kazooie because of Rare so this will be its replacement
Kirby 64 - There's always a Kirby game

If Lucasarts allows: Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

15-16 total

I don't see GoldenEye happening. It's a licensing nightmare.

Kevtones

It's validating to my 12 year old self to see all the modern love for Bomberman 64. I played the shit out of that game and thought it was phenomenal back then.

Also essential:

Beetle Adventure Racing
Spacestation Silicon Valley
Both Goemon games
Hybrid Heaven
Body Harvest
Winback
Ogre Battle 64
Rocket Robot on Wheels
Castlevania LoD

Nah, Nintendo should go after GoldenEye 007. It's the third best-selling title on the platform and one of the system's few first-person shooters not rated M.

Doom, Perfect Dark, Turok, and Quake are all 18 and older.
Everyone forgets Eurocom's The World is Not Enough for some reason.

Tevious

I'm going to guess that we'll only get 10~14 games. My reasoning for this is partially because they value N64 games more than SNES and NES games, so naturally we'll get less of them. But also because they'll probably re-use the same Allwinner R16 board that they're using in the NES Classic and most likely are using with the SNES Classic, too. The board they're using can only fit a little over 300MB in games. N64 games range from 8MB to about 65MB; most being 32MB. They could potentially upgrade the memory, but they probably won't want to to combat people modding in the entire N64 library (like what happened with the NES Classic Mini). Additionally, there's no way Nintendo will put any M rated games on this thing and it's highly doubtful they will get any Rare games other than Donkey Kong 64. Goldeneye has too many licensing issues, too. Anyone's list with those games is pure fantasy.

So after looking up file sizes, here's my best guess, and they're all Nintendo owned games:

Super Mario 64 (8,192KB)
Mario Kart 64 (12,288KB)
Paper Mario (40,960KB)
Mario Party 2 (32,768KB)
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (32,768KB)
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (32,768KB)
Star Fox 64 (12,288KB)
Kirby 64 (32,768KB)
Wave Race 64 (8,192KB)
F-Zero X (16,384KB)
Pokemon Stadium (32,768KB)
Super Smash Bros (16,384KB)
Donkey Kong 64 (32,768KB)
Pilotwings 64 (8,192KB)

14 games. 312MB total.

Futaleufu

They may add a couple of Konami/Hudson, the rest will all be first party Nintendo games.

Licensed games, first person shooters and Rare games won't be on this.

Saganator

Super Mario 64 (8,192KB)
Mario Kart 64 (12,288KB)
Paper Mario (40,960KB)
Mario Party 2 (32,768KB)
Star Fox 64 (12,288KB)
Kirby 64 (32,768KB)
Wave Race 64 (8,192KB)
F-Zero X (16,384KB)
Pilotwings 64 (8,192KB)

14 games. 312MB total.

Pretty solid list. I hope they can get squeeze 20 or more in there, some really solid non Nintendo games missing from the list.

An almost all Nintendo-published-titles library, like the selection available on the Wii / Wii U Virtual Consoles that Celine lists, is the most likely thing. We know Nintendo has the rights to those games because they are still available for sale digitally, and they are all good candidates for inclusion. I'm also going to assume that all of Rare's non-DK titles are, very sadly, out.

What I would really like to see, however, are Midway and Acclaim games, because they made a lot of fantastic games that are among my favorites on the system, and it's a real shame their N64 games haven't been re-released like most of Nintendo's do. The rights sshould be available, from Throwback (and Night Dive, for Turok anyway) for Acclaim and WB Games for Midway. For both companies, some of their better N64 releases are out because of age rating issues (the Turok games, Shadow Man, all of Midway's fighting games, Doom 64, Body Harvest...) or licensing rights issues (Midway's NFL Blitz, NBA Hangtime/Showtime, Wayne Gretzky, and such are sadly out, as would be all of Acclaim's sports games; their N64 baseball games, at least, are good.), and there's no way we'd see Wipeout 64 I am sure, but there are still some great ones that should be included.

San Francisco Rush 2049 - The most obvious one for me, Rush 2049 is the best racing game ever and I really love it. Nintendo will probably continue to ignore the N64's third-party library but they shouldn't. Include this amazing classic!

A few more Midway racing games it'd be cool to see include Cruis'n Exotica, Hydro Thunder, and San Francisco Rush. And for a few non-racing titles, Gauntlet Legends would be awesome if T-rated games are acceptable; that game is fantastic. There are also the Rampage games, though they're not great. It is frustrating how some of Midway's best games that aren't racing games are those sports games we wouldn't see because of rights issues though... too bad.

As for Acclaim, Extreme-G 1 or, better, 2 would be my top choice if the Turok games are out. Throwback recently re-released the PC version of XG2, so they have the rights. If T-rated games are okay, Forsaken 64 would be a cool one as well. (I also want to mention Iggy's 'Reckin Balls, it's interesting.)

... So not including M-rated games or things which have serious rights issues, what would I include in a ~20-something game N64 Mini? That's really hard, the N64 my favorite console and while it doesn't have the largest library, there are a lot more than 25 games on the thing I really like!

Definitely needs:

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario
San Francisco Rush 2049
F-Zero X
Wave Race 64
Super Smash Bros.
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Sin & Punishment: Successor to the Earth (the fully translated version we got on Wii VC)
Donkey Kong 64
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64

They should also include:

Goemon's Great Adventure
Mario Party 2 (or 3, though it'd probably be 2)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Pokemon Puzzle League
1080 Degrees Snowboarding
Excitebike 64
Bomberman 64
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Tetrisphere (if Nintendo has the rights)
Majora's Mask
Extreme-G 2
Gauntlet Legends
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

That's 25. Here would be my top options for inclusion not in the above two categories:

Star Wars: Battle for Naboo (the best N64 Star Wars game!)
San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing
World Driver Championship (see below)
Top Gear Rally (see below)
Forsaken 64
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Mario's Tennis
Rayman 2
Bomberman Hero
Cruis'n Exotica
Diddy Kong Racing

... And a title they likely will include but I never would put in the thing myself:

Pokemon Snap

For a bit more rights for on two of the games I mention above:

World Driver Championship - Midway published all of Boss Games' N64 games, including this popular sim racer, but Boss shut down a few years later so I don't know who has the rights to this one... does WB, or is it in limbo or something? It's not a favorite of mine personally, but it'd be a great one to include if they could.

Top Gear Rally (and/or Top Gear Overdrive) - Kemco published four Top Gear games on the N64. All of them are pretty good, but the first one, Rally, is the most popular so it'd probably be the best one to include. It is a pretty good game so it'd be awesome to see, if it could happen. (It's kind of too bad that none of the SNES Top Gear games were on the SNES Mini, though, so maybe it wouldn't happen... but it should.)

And finally... Nintendo would never put them in the Western version of the N64 Mini unless they secretly have translated copies lying around somewhere, but the N64 Custom Robo games are actually really good. They absolutely should put one in the Japanese version of the thing at least.

Beyond the games though, will the controller have a real controller pak port? I'd guess not? If they put any games with controller pak support in the thing and do support them though digital memory cards would be better, so that's not a big issue (unless it supported copying save files from original N64 memory cards, but while neat that isn't essential). What about rumble though, how will they deal with that? It really should have rumble... maybe build it in, yeah.

Rocket Robot on Wheels is a secret best game.

It is a great game, but if Sucker Punch owns any rights there's no way we'd ever see a re-release, sadly, since they're owned by Sony.

I really believe that Nintendo and MS are going to work out a deal regarding not only Goldeneye 007, but the games that Rare currently still owns to appear, whether it be on the N64 mini and/or VC.

SirNinja

Be real with me team.

What are my chances for Harvest Moon 64?

Moderate. The game was recently made available on Wii U virtual console, so it doesn't look like there are any outstanding rights issues to work out. Whether or not it makes the cut of games on an N64 mini is a complete toss-up, however. Depends on how many total games Nintendo wants to have on it: if it's only 10-15, it's unlikely HM64 will make the cut. If they shoot for more games than that, though, it becomes a much likelier candidate, especially in the absence of everything Rare.

I really believe that Nintendo and MS are going to work out a deal regarding not only Goldeneye 007, but the games that Rare currently still owns to appear, whether it be on the N64 mini and/or VC.

This is about as likely as you winning the lottery on your birthday while the planets align. (Or Nintendo actually making enough SNES minis to satisfy demand.)

Well permit me to be the one to say this but, the old rumor was Iwata was the one who kept the deal from happening for VC. Iwata is not there anymore.... Might mean everything, might mean nothing at all. Rumor might not even have had weight in the first place. Take it all with a bucket of salt.

Favorite Zelda of all time , but no way it edges out Ocarina. Only way MM makes it is if both are included.

It edges out Orcarina big time. OoT hasn't aged that well.

The thing would be useless without the Rare games, though. Perfect Dark, the Kazooie games, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps etc. missing? Nah, not for me then.

selo

Id like, the following:
Mario 64
Pilotwings
Wave race
star fox 64
Golden eye
Ocarina of time
Turok 2
Perfect dark
Jet force Gemini
Bomberman 64
Legend of the mystical ninja starring goemon
Mischief makers
Mario party
Mario kart 64
StarCraft
Conker's bad fur day
Banjoo kazooie
Diddy Kong racing
Donkey Kong 64
Pokemon snap
Smash Bros
Castlevania 64

MilkyJoe

Goldeneye
Turok
Shadow of the Empire
Body Harvest

Golden eye won't be on it, so 2 of the other three will be a purchase.

Here's a very random idea that is not a prediction.

I don't see N64 mini shipping with 4 controllers in the package. What if they make the system single player focused out of the box and include a couple of multiplayer games with each extra controller? Color-coded, perhaps? Transferring 32 MiB of data over original I2C is not ideal but they could change the protocol for pads.

The more serious question: what do you think will happen to expansion slot on controllers? Removed altogether? Left empty? Containing fake memory card or force feedback unit? Containing real force feedback unit? Containing real force feedback unit still using batteries?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Maybe this will finally be the impetus that gets the various people who have some claim to Goldeneye to get together, allow it to appear on a N64 classic console, and release the remake that was essentially completed. There's gobs of money to be made by everyone involved on that one.

With Activision out of the picture now, and the Bond videogame rights not currently licensed out to anyone, it has to be slightly simpler than it was back in the 360 era. One can dream...

SCReuter

Players can launch explosive projectiles at the Twin Towers in Pilotwings 64, so that title is probably staying in the vault alongside the original Mario Party.

3KFEKkF.jpg

"Hop into the seat of the Gyrocopter and fire off some missiles [at various U.S. landmarks]!"
GoldenEye 007 is actually a more probable re-release than it IMO.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I'd definitely want a good chunk of the following titles included. I bolded the ones I think are pretty unlikely.

Crusin' USA & World
Beetle Adventure Racing
Blast Corps
Diddy Kong Racing
Doom 64
Goldeneye
Mario Kart 64
NFL Blitz
Pilotwings
San Francisco Rush (1 and 2 please - god knows whoever is just sitting on this license must want to make some money off of it)
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Starfox 64
Super Mario 64
Waverace
WWF No Mercy

Cairnsay

Banned
The 64 was my first Nintendo console (was a Sega kid before that), and loved it. It still worked last year when I sold it. Anyway, here's my list:

The Obvious

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Mario Kart 64
Wave Race 64
Super Smash Bros
Mario Party
Star Fox 64

Probable

Mario Tennis
Surely a deal will be worked out to get either Goldeneye or Perfect Dark on there.
Diddy Kong Racing
1080 Snowboarding
F Zero X
Pokémon Stadium
Mario Golf
Animal Crossing

Probably Impossible But It's Fun To Dream

WWF No Mercy
WCW/now Revenge
WWF Attitude
International Superstar Soccer 64

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think I'd buy one with only first party games. They're great obviously but I've played too many of them and too recently. Super mario, star fox, both zeldas, etc. No interest in mario party or yoshis story.

Rellik

I'd definitely want a good chunk of the following titles included. I bolded the ones I think are pretty unlikely.

Crusin' USA & World
Beetle Adventure Racing
Blast Corps
Diddy Kong Racing
Doom 64
Goldeneye
Mario Kart 64
NFL Blitz
Pilotwings
San Francisco Rush (1 and 2 please - god knows whoever is just sitting on this license must want to make some money off of it)
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Starfox 64
Super Mario 64
Waverace
WWF No Mercy

Yeah, the chances of No Mercy appearing are about as equal as the chance of seeing Goldeneye. Too much licensing bs involved.

Cairnsay

Banned
Yeah, the chances of No Mercy appearing are about as equal as the chance of seeing Goldeneye. Too much licensing bs involved.

I'd say its even less likely than Goldeneye. On top of all the licensing stuff, I cant see WWE wanting it out there, at least not without some heavy editing.

Nairume

Banned
I'm going to guess that we'll only get 10~14 games. My reasoning for this is partially because they value N64 games more than SNES and NES games, so naturally we'll get less of them. But also because they'll probably re-use the same Allwinner R16 board that they're using in the NES Classic and most likely are using with the SNES Classic, too. The board they're using can only fit a little over 300MB in games. N64 games range from 8MB to about 65MB; most being 32MB. They could potentially upgrade the memory, but they probably won't want to to combat people modding in the entire N64 library (like what happened with the NES Classic Mini). Additionally, there's no way Nintendo will put any M rated games on this thing and it's highly doubtful they will get any Rare games other than Donkey Kong 64. Goldeneye has too many licensing issues, too. Anyone's list with those games is pure fantasy.

So after looking up file sizes, here's my best guess, and they're all Nintendo owned games:

Super Mario 64 (8,192KB)
Mario Kart 64 (12,288KB)
Paper Mario (40,960KB)
Mario Party 2 (32,768KB)
Star Fox 64 (12,288KB)
Kirby 64 (32,768KB)
Wave Race 64 (8,192KB)
F-Zero X (16,384KB)
Pilotwings 64 (8,192KB)

14 games. 312MB total.
Pokemon Stadium is highly unlikely, given how gimped it would be. Swap it out with 1080 and there's your likely list.

Players can launch explosive projectiles at the Twin Towers in Pilotwings 64, so that title is probably staying in the vault alongside the original Mario Party.

GoldenEye 007 is actually a more probable re-release than it IMO.

I mean you can remove that part of the game, couldn't you.

BDGAME

We can't forget that N64 made more success in USA than in Japan. So, a lot of western games are necessary to be there, like:

Turok 1 and/or 2
Xtreme G
Beetle adventure racing
Gauntlet Legends
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
NBA Hang time
San Francisco Rush
Star Wars shadows of the Empire
Star Wars Rouge Squadron
Cruis'n

HF2014

Who the fuck need a N64 mini if Golden Eye and other Rare games are not on it? Rare games were the system strong selling point. Oh and here is my lineup

1- Golden Eye
2- Banjo Kazooie
3- Banjo Tooie
4- Conker Bad Fur Day
5- Diddy Kong Racing
6- Perfect Dark
7- Killer Instinct Gold
8- Jet Force Gemini
9 - Blast Corps
10- Donkey Kong 64

Now lets scrap these 10 games and try to do a 20 games hit for a N64 mini

1- Super Mario 64
2- Pilotwings
3 - Zelda OOT
4- Zelda Majora Mask
5- Mario Kart 64
6- Starfox 64
7- Wave Race 64
8- Yoshi Story
9- Super Smash Bros
10- FZero X
11- Cruisn USA
12- Star Wars SoTE
13- Star Wars RS
14- Turok Dinosaur Hunter
15- WWE No Mercy
16- Paper Mario
17- Kirby 64
18- Mario Party
19- Mortal Kombat Trilogy
20- NFL Blitz

It seriously feel empty without Golden Eye, Conker, Banjo, Killer Instinct. Rest i could live without it, but if these games are not in it, its not a system seller for me.

Top Bottom