• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most probable N64 Mini Lineup

Zalman

If Nintendo decide to go for 15 games + 1 bonus I think they will choose only first-party games.
I believe the most likely selection will be:

Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Golf or Mario Tennis (Mario Golf sold slightly more)
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Paper Mario
Pokémon Snap
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (may risk to be excluded if OoT is considered to be enough Zelda)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64 or 1080° Snowboarding (Wave Race 64 is more likely)
Yoshi's Story

Bonus:
Sin & Punishment or less likely Ocarina of Time Master Quest

First-party games that won't make the cut despite being available on VC:
Cruis'n USA, Excitebike 64, Pokémon Puzzle League, one between Wave Race 64 and 1080° Snowboarding and one between Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

If Nintendo decide to go with 20 games or 20 games + 1 bonus they could still make an all first-party selection by including Excitebike 64, Pokémon Puzzle League, one between Wave Race 64 and 1080° Snowboarding and one between Mario Golf and Mario Tennis to the above list.
Almost exactly what I'm expecting.

Almost exactly what I'm expecting.

I think most people assuming 15 games agree on the same 10-11ish

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2
Zelda OoT
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64
Yoshi Story
Super Smash Bros
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64

After that it gets fuzzy, do they include both OoT and MM? Will they include any 3rd party games and if so which ones? Is everything rare off the table minus DK64? Or could they possible get Banjo Kazooie or DKR? Do we get a pokemon game and if so which one (probably snap). Do we get either/both mario sports games? Do we get any of the extreme sport games (1080, excite bike 64, wave race 64)? And of course if its only 10 what do you cut from the above?

If we get a 16th/11th game it'll be master quest, sin and punishment was a normal release in japan so it doesn't market itself worldwide as something special.

NJSlay

Banned
If they could somehow to manage to get WCW Revenge or WM2000/No Mercy on the mini, oh man. If I recall, the AKI games never ran right on any of the N64 emulators I tried over the years.

Zalman

I think most people assuming 15 games agree on the same 10-11ish

Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Paper Mario
Mario Party 2
Zelda OoT
Star Fox 64
Kirby 64
Yoshi Story
Super Smash Bros
F-Zero X
Donkey Kong 64

After that it gets fuzzy, do they include both OoT and MM? Will they include any 3rd party games and if so which ones? Is everything rare off the table minus DK64? Or could they possible get Banjo Kazooie or DKR? Do we get a pokemon game and if so which one (probably snap). Do we get either/both mario sports games? Do we get any of the extreme sport games (1080, excite bike 64, wave race 64)? And of course if its only 10 what do you cut from the above?

If we get a 16th/11th game it'll be master quest, sin and punishment was a normal release in japan so it doesn't market itself worldwide as something special.
Personally I think there's no way both Ocarina and Majora's Mask aren't on there. The NES Classic had every main Mario and Zelda game.
Rare is a big question mark.
Pokémon is a no-brainer, although unless they go great lengths to make it happen, only Snap and Puzzle League are possible. (Most likely Snap.)
Mario Golf/Tennis is 50/50.
Wave Race 64 I think will definitely happen. (Takahashi got promoted and Wave Race is his baby.) 1080 and Excite Bike are less likely, I think there are other games they would rather include.

Personally I think there's no way both Ocarina and Majora's Mask aren't on there. The NES Classic had every main Mario and Zelda game.
Rare is a big question mark.
Pokémon is a no-brainer, although unless they go great lengths to make it happen, only Snap and Puzzle League are possible. (Most likely Snap.)
Mario Golf/Tennis is 50/50.
Wave Race 64 I think will definitely happen. (Takahashi got promoted and Wave Race is his baby.) 1080 and Excite Bike are less likely, I think there are other games they would rather include.

I largely agree with that, but of the super obvious games Majora's Mask is the first one I remotely hesitate on and that's only because it's another single player only game. So far we have sm64, paper mario, oot, and yoshi 64. If you include snap that's 5 single player games and considering the n64 classic is going to almost demand people buy more controllers for 4 players I think Nintendo is gonna want to squeeze in as many games that support 4 players as possible. I suppose you could include puzzle league to scratch the pokemon itch (and panel de pon was in japan's snes classic) and still have a 1:2 single to multiplayer ratio with mm being the 5th mp game.

I'd argue excitebike 64 has a better chance then you give it credit for since excitebike was in the nes classic, though I agree it would probably get in after wave race.

It would never happen but Goldeneye would be the killer app. The other rare stuff is available elsewhere. Since MS has Minecraft on Switch, it doesn't sound that faar-fetched for them to do a Goldeneye deal. The licensors would be the problem (B-b-b-bu Bond is worth billions)

other than that (basically a list of M64 games I played or want to see)
Super Mario 64
MK64
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask (despite me hating it)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
Doom 64
Rocket Robot on Wheels (never played but its by Sucker Punch)
Duke Nukem 64
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
Tony Hawk 1 and 2
DK64
Rayman 2

and just for the collectors Starcraft 64

Chronus

From a 1st party perspective, having F-Zero X and Kirby 64 would pretty neat, particularly since I've never played those games. Especially if they include the DD expansion pack.
Third party wise, since I'm an FPS fan, Doom 64 and Quake 2 would be awesome due to their exclusive content, not seen in any other versions. Heck, even Hexen or Quake 1 would be nice. But I'm guessing none of these will end up in the final cut.
Castlevania: LoD would make sense, but I dont think there were that many fans at the time.
An N64 mini classic is a bit of a bittersweet experience, really. One of my favorite consoles, but that has the side effect of having played most of what's probably being included to death, thus diminishing the hype levels.

Nekster

Did a post about this on Twitter:

DFQTp8OV0AAbPw1.jpg

Note: Forgot Smash Bros.

(...)

Nice list, i would buy that + Smash.

I would love Turok to be included as well, but i don't think is going to happen.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doom 64 deserves a slot. Its an original game not a port and will satisfy the fps front since Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are out.

Turok 1/2 is also acceptable. Quake 2 n64 is ehh.

G0523

Wouldn't Nintendo and/or Microsoft have to put more work into making Rare's N64 games "look" like they originally did? Or would Nintendo allow those games to run as their HD remasters? I know Rare decided to use a third-party emulator for porting their games to Rare Replay on Xbox One, and Nintendo would be strongly against that. I imagine Nintendo just wants to treat the inevitable N64 Classic Edition as a big ROM dump like they did with the others. So, in that case, I can see a list like this:

-1080 Snowboarding
-Bomberman 64
-Cruisin' USA
-Donkey Kong 64
-Excitebike 64
-F-Zero X
-Harvest Moon 64
-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party 2
-Ogre Battle 64
-Paper Mario
-Sin and Punishment
-Starfox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wave Race 64
-Yoshi's Story

Just basically see what's already on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console and go from there. I would also be very surprised if Nintendo put 20 games on the N64 Classic Edition. I can see them doing 10 or 15.

San Franciso Rush 2049 its far better in Dreamcast
Which is a long-dead console. It doesn't matter whether a game was available on other platforms. If Sony made a "PS1 Mini", half the games would be "better on PC" or "better on Dreamcast". But people wanting to play the jiggly PS1 version of Metal Gear Solid would be happy.

In the N64's case, SF Rush 2049 is an excellent title with no obvious shortcomings. The existence of an improved Dreamcast version is neither here nor there. Same goes for Rayman, which was originally an N64 game but ported to other platforms. The purpose of an N64 Mini is to play N64 games, not Dreamcast games. Not PS2 games.

Mugy

Which is a long-dead console. It doesn't matter whether a game was available on other platforms. If Sony made a "PS1 Mini", half the games would be "better on PC" or "better on Dreamcast". But people wanting to play the jiggly PS1 version of Metal Gear Solid would be happy.

In the N64's case, SF Rush 2049 is an excellent title with no obvious shortcomings. The existence of an improved Dreamcast version is neither here nor there. The purpose of an N64 Mini is to play N64 games, not Dreamcast games.

Oh, in this case i totally agree. SF Rush 2049 its a great multiplayer game. I would consider it too. In fact, i think battle mode in this game its the best one. This or Twisted metal Black

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sin and Punishment
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Snap
Mario Kart
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario 64
Paper Mario
Mischief Makers
Smash Bros
Zelda OOT
Zelda MM
Tactics Ogre
Star Fox 64
Fighters Destiny
Glover
Kirby 64
Wave Race
1080 Snowboarding
Mario Party 3
F Zero X

iMerc

if this thing is real, then i believe there could be 15-20 games, and i think this is a very likely selection:
-1080 snowboarding
-Bomberman 64
-Fzero X
-Harvest Moon 64
-Kirby 64
-Legend of Zelda: OoT
-Legend of Zelda: MM
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party
-Mario Tennis
-Mystical Ninja starring Goemon
-Ogre Battle 64
-Paper Mario
-Pokemon Stadium
-Rayman 2
-Sin & Punishment
-Starfox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros
-Waverace 64

---------------------------
Games they could get with little difficulty excluding other 1st party titles:
-Hybrid Heaven
-ISS 64
-Megaman 64
-Operation Winback
-Rakuga kids
-Rayman 2
-Resident Evil 2
-Ridge Racer 64
-Snowboard Kids
-Star Soldier: vanishing earth
-Tonic Trouble

i deliberately left out the Castlevania games, as konami has publicly stated they are not happy with their work on these titles, and that we should forget they ever made them (even though i thought LoD was great). oh and aside from ubisoft, i did not include any western 3rd party developed titles either.

Wouldn't Nintendo and/or Microsoft have to put more work into making Rare's N64 games "look" like they originally did? Or would Nintendo allow those games to run as their HD remasters? I know Rare decided to use a third-party emulator for porting their games to Rare Replay on Xbox One, and Nintendo would be strongly against that. I imagine Nintendo just wants to treat the inevitable N64 Classic Edition as a big ROM dump like they did with the others. So, in that case, I can see a list like this:

-1080 Snowboarding
-Bomberman 64
-Cruisin' USA
-Donkey Kong 64
-Excitebike 64
-F-Zero X
-Harvest Moon 64
-Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
-Mario Kart 64
-Mario Party 2
-Ogre Battle 64
-Paper Mario
-Sin and Punishment
-Starfox 64
-Super Mario 64
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wave Race 64
-Yoshi's Story

Just basically see what's already on the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console and go from there. I would also be very surprised if Nintendo put 20 games on the N64 Classic Edition. I can see them doing 10 or 15.
I said the same thing. It will basically be the Wii VC and maybe a surprise like Wonder Project or the F Zero expansion kit. Probably not though.

Yukinari

Every list has F-Zero X but the least they could do to make it on the same level as Star Fox 2 is add the Expansion Kit for X.

Like yeah theres some good 1st party N64 games but without 3rd parties its weak as hell.

DSN2K

how many HDMI ports do you guys TV's have spare ... all these mini consoles are nice but it's not practical.

Chronus

Is Master quest that special though? It was included in the special edition of Wind Waker for the GC. I dont even remember seeing a non special edition of that game. Plus, it's not even that diferent, only the dungeons change some stuff around.

Is Master quest that special though? It was included in the special edition of Wind Waker for the GC. I dont even remember seeing a non special edition of that game. Plus, it's not even that diferent, only the dungeons change some stuff around.

I said if, there aren't that many star fox 2's sitting around to be released as a bonus. I agree master quest isn't that big a deal, but it seems like an easier bonus to throw in then the f-zero x dd content.

I wouldn't rule out Microsoft working out a deal with Nintendo to allow the Banjo games on it.

Not like it's Microsoft's cash cow or anything

The IP is basically just sitting there on a shelf

Ridley327

The whole rights things for GoldenEye is not an insurmountable task, as we know that Iwata pulled the plug on the whole "GE remake on 360 for Rare on VC" deal in what was essentially the 11th hour. However, one element that's changed since then is that the video game rights reverted back to Eon Productions, so we'd be looking at a situation where now either Nintendo or MS (maybe both?) would have to pony up the dough to get those rights. The question for Nintendo now becomes if there is enough money to be made for all the work and cash that needs to happen in order to make it a reality in the first place.

Fox Mulder

They'd absolutely have to license the Rare games. I don't think MS would be against it and Rare Replay seemed to be a sales dud.

duckroll

There isn't going to be a fucking N64 Mini. The NES Classic and SNES Classic exist because they were super popular consoles back in the day that were market leaders and trend settings. There isn't going to be a N64 Classic, or Gamecube Classic, or whatever.

Slermy

Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Tetrisphere
Wetrix

I would line up to buy this. Fantastic puzzle games, both of them.

legacyzero

Banned
Not enough good 3rd party stuff on that. Probably won't see any license or RARE stuff either unfortunately. Shame. Would love to see Goldeneye and Perfect Dark come back for some couch coop.

There isn't going to be a fucking N64 Mini. The NES Classic and SNES Classic exist because they were super popular consoles back in the day that were market leaders and trend settings. There isn't going to be a N64 Classic, or Gamecube Classic, or whatever.
I'll take a tag and your mod status if so.

Let's say 15.

1) Mario 64 - It's a little-known game, but I think Nintendo may want to give it a chance.

2) Ocarina of Time - Majora's Mask would be on here as well, but there's the one-per-series rule (tbh I think Nintendo would include both of them). Maybe Master Quest could be the "bonus" title a la Star Fox 2.

3) Donkey Kong 64 - Whatever arrangement they have with Rare has already let them do this as a Virtual Console title so I'd consider it a shoe-in.

4) Paper Mario - N64 is weak on traditional RPGs and this is easily the most well-known.

5) Star Fox 64 - After two Star Fox games made it into the SNES Classic this seems like a no-brainer.

6) Super Smash Bros. - I don't think this series ever really hit it big until Melee, but the first game still sold well and is fun in its own right.

7) Mario Kart 64 - tbh my least favorite of the console Mario Karts, but it's a staple of the library.

8) Mario Party 2 - Almost has to be represented, and this one seems to be the go-to for Nintendo (1 has the joystick issue, 3 has never been rereleased to my knowledge).

9) Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - Just gotta get all those big Nintendo franchises represented.

10) Mario Golf - I feel the N64 era was where Nintendo really started overexposing Mario in every genre.

11) Mario Tennis - oh god so much Mario

12) Wave Race 64 - Never played it myself but it seems to be fairly beloved, enough to get a sequel on the GameCube at launch.

13) Pokémon Snap - I imagine Pokémon would be represented on here somehow, but Hey You, Pikachu is obviously out, and the Stadium games require the transfer pak to get the most of it (playing with rentals would suuuck) which means it would come down to Snap or Puzzle League. I'm guessing they'd go with Snap just because it seemed to be more popular, but who knows. If they could somehow finagle it to let you upload Pokémon from the 3DS Virtual Console games, I'd rather they do Pokémon Stadium 2.

14) F-Zero X - Almost forgot about this one! Sorry F-Zero, you know I love you baby.

15) Sin and Punishment - It's been a mainstay release for every Virtual Console N64 lineup, so I imagine it would find its way here as an easy "look, a game we never released in America!*"

Swap out the Mario sports games for Majora's Mask and 1080 Snowboarding if preferred.

Bonus, third party deals!

16) Castlevania 64 - This game isn't very highly esteemed, but I could see Nintendo including it for brand recognition.

17) Mega Man 64 - Same as Castlevania. One more name they could slap on the box.

18) Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - I think Shadows of the Empire is more iconic to the N64 being a launch window title, but Rogue Squadron has aged much better.

19) Banjo-Kazooie - One of the biggies, obviously this would require some wheeling and dealing with Microsoft to get this done, but probably an easier lift than...

20) GoldenEye 007 - If they didn't want to deal with the licensing kerfuffle, they could always go with Perfect Dark, but I think Nintendo would shy away from including anything M-rated just so kids aren't prevented from buying the console.

21) Bonus Unreleased Game Wow: Dinosaur Planet - lol

score01

I guess the system would be missing the more popular Rare titles. Blast Corps and GoldenEye would
be good along with the no brainers (Mario 64 etc).

If these games are re-released unchanged from their original release by Nintendo who were the original publishers - would they still need permission?

TannerDemoz

fighters destiny, beetle adventure racing, Turok 2, mystical ninja starring goemon and Res 2 is all the third party support it needs

batfax

They got Harvest Moon 64 working on their emulator after years and then only released it on the Wii U after it was already basically dead. They better have it on a '64 Mini.

As an OG N64 owner twenty (!!!!) years ago, to not see Goldeneye, Banjo, Perfect Dark or No Mercy on there would be a real shame.

As an aside, I'm surprised Nintendo went for a SNES mini before a Gameboy mini.

Here's the OPTIMAL list. 20 Games.

1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Super Smash Bros.
5. GoldenEye 007
6. Wave Race 64
7. F-Zero X
8. Mario Party 2
9. Star Fox 64
10. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter / Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (either one)
11. Ogre Battle 64
12. Banjo-Kazooie
13. WWF No Mercy
14. Mario Tennis
15. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
16. Paper Mario
17. International Superstar Soccer '98
18. Jet Force Gemini
19. Beetle Adventure Racing
20. WinBack

[BONUS ROUND]
21. Perfect Dark
22. Space Station Silicon Valley
23. Rayman 2: The Great Escape
24. Excitebike 64
25. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

atr0cious

All I ask is that they keep the AKi games off the thing. I enjoy scrolling past classic threads knowing I'm not really missing much. But a proper working easily accessible AKi port would have me fully in the whirlwind of shit that is Nintendo's stock estimates. No thanks.

Top Bottom