• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the pettiest thing that pisses you off in a game?

when you have to follow an npc that is slow as fuck

couple that with when your walk speed to follow him is too slow but your running speed is too high...
Every time people bring this up I think of the Witcher 3 where they just have any NPC you are following mimic you're movement speed. You run, they run. You walk, they walk.

Poor quest management, Prey has a terrible implementation of quests in the UX. I never know what quest is active, and it fails to tell me what the objective /is/ that is making me go to different areas.

Forced reliance on mini maps / no way to tell what or where an objective is without looking at it.

Getting "discovered area" XP in large RPGs. Character creation that coincides with you being forced down a "yes man" role that makes your character creation useless in the grand scheme of things.

GunBR

I'm playing Little Big Planet 3 right now and Sackboy always keep looking to the same direction of the blue light of the PS4 controller

So if I'm on the bed, he's always looking up. That's REALLY distracting to me

Games where the main character is a player avatar and the other characters won't stop talking about how amazing I am. I don't need validation from your fictional characters, devs, I can get by just fine without having my dick sucked every 5 minutes.

Roussow

Photomodes that exclusivly orient the camera facing the player.
HUD's that don't dynamically fade in/out. Also, unreasonably thick health bars (Horizon, The Witcher 3).
Those are pretty fucking niche complaints, I think they qualify as petty.

Plum

Developers...

Stop putting artificial input lag into your games. Having to hold down X whilst a circle fills up just to search some chest or choose some option is just terrible design. Horizon Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky are the worst offenders but I'm sure there's more. Stop it. Put a seperate prompt and only for stuff with long-term and permanent consequences.

Skulldead

Any form of level scaling or loot scaling in a RPG

You can have the best game in the world, the most amazing story, etc but this feature totally turn me off from your game. I'm happy to that it's starting to disappear, but it was standard for like 60% of RPG during last 10 years.

Q--_-

When games use bars instead of numbers to display ping.

This bugs me to no end, or even worse, games that don't show their ping at all. I have to deal with sketchy internet at my girlfriend's house and I have to see my ping to know if I need to reset the damn router or whatever to fix it.

Jacqli

I am currently playing Pillars of Eternity (9€ for base game + expansions + some extras) and the amount of names from the lore is killing a bit my interest in the dialogues. Like here, take this bunch of names with little context, it is like they tried to pull a Game of Thrones but in a messy way.
Although from what I saw of Tyranny, it seems this one is even worse in this department. Even there are highlighted words in the dialogues so you can see what they are referring to. It makes the reading boring.

And not to mention the weak reasons of your companions to actually follow you, at least so far. This also gets me everytime: I do not know you, you might kill me while I sleep but I will follow you because yeah, let's do it. As well as for some quests.

I am also a sucker for romance, so yeah, I miss several aspects in this game (although I know they are never going to add romance options, it is a pity that BGII is still the king) and hopefully the sequel improves a few other things. At least the AI is funny:
jdfksdjfls.gif

ffxiv, giving me a linkpearl to communicate with the scions only for minfilia to use the linkpearl to tell me to go the waking sands for 3 lines of dialogue

just tell me what you need to say via the linkpearl

Sotha_Sil

OP makes a good point. I hate it in games. It's the only knock I have on my Dishonored 2 playthrough right now. It doesn't help that a lot of the dialog is awkward.

Galang

Banned
They are not "services". They are Trump-esque paywalls between me and Peer to Peer play on my already paid for ISP.

Aren't these necessary to keep the servers as they are though? As a business hosting these services aren't exactly cheap and I imagine it will get worse not any better.

TissueBox

For some reason I get really peeved if I can't make a fluid transition from a sprint back to a normal-paced run/walk...like I stopped playing Horizon a bit for that very reason. xP

Baleoce

Skill trees and RPG systems in games that don't need them.

Ubisoft towers and endless pointless tat collectibles in games that don't need them.

Please stop making all AAA titles identical.

This is spot on for me. I cannot stand open world collectathons. It's so inane, and seems to promote copy & paste design structure. RPG systems in games that don't require them seem to be a mechanic specificially designed to try and retain the player for when they've realised that perhaps said design structure is shallow.

* Collectibles in linear, story-driven games combined with auto-checkpoints that prevent backtracking. It's the ultimate example of both distracting and detracting from the narrative experience. This shit sucks and devs should stop sabotaging the first playthrough of their games under the guise of adding replay value. It's really the only thing about Uncharted 4 that really pisses me off, because it's pretty much a flawless game otherwise. Naughty Dog has everything highly-directed and choreographed to such a painstaking degree, and they fuck it up when one path progresses Nate's story while the other leads to something shiny, and too often there's no way to know which is which until it's too late. PLEASE STOP.

* Invisible walls and 2-foot tall barriers that, selectively, you can't climb past. Just played through Nier Automata and playing Yakuza 0 right now, and I just shake my head every time I come across this. PLEASE STOP.

Teh Lurv

Having to press a button to pick up items on the ground in non-RPG games. This annoyed me immensely when I played Wolfenstein: TNO. I can understand the need in RPGs with limited inventory systems, but for an FPS there is no excuse why I shouldn't automatically pick up ammo when I run over it.

SOLDIER

Games where the main character is a player avatar and the other characters won't stop talking about how amazing I am. I don't need validation from your fictional characters, devs, I can get by just fine without having my dick sucked every 5 minutes.

I really like how FFXIV doubles down on this trope. There's even a point where a major villain becomes utterly TERRIFIED of you, in addition to how future NPCs sing your accomplishments.

Really does make you feel like a legendary hero.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Zelda pop-ups, and BotW isn't innocent. Let's stop the game for a sec and give you a popup window if you grab an ancient screw from a ruined Guardian, but not when you pick up a Hylian Shroom.

Same with Metroid and missiles. I get it. Stop telling me every single time. IIRC, Return of Samus just had a little sound and let you keep playing, versus forcing you to re-read game mechanics and item descriptions every single time.
This was a problem in Twilight Princess, however in BotW the message only shows the first time, so i dont know what you are talking about.

Bunga

Having to press a button to pick up items on the ground in non-RPG games. This annoyed me immensely when I played Wolfenstein: TNO. I can understand the need in RPGs with limited inventory systems, but for an FPS there is no excuse why I shouldn't automatically pick up ammo when I run over it.

Yeah I didn't get this design decision either. I understand it was obviously an intentional choice, I just don't get the rationale behind it at all.

Bad menu layouts in certain games really piss me off.

Nuclear Throne for Vita, for example. When you pause the game, I don't believe "Resume" is the default first selected option. Worse yet, I believe "Restart" doesn't ask for confirmation, it just restarts.

I can't tell you how many damn times I've restarted when I just wanted to pause the game very quickly. I have had the game for over a year, and have yet to get past 4-1

I forget the games that were doing this (they were probably rpgs) but when you get into a cycle of cutscenes where you walk to a location, get a cutscene, walk down the hall, get a one minute cutscene, walk into the next room, three minute cutscense, etc. Like, just play one big event so I can at least put the controller down.

There's something very specific in side-scrolling games that I can't stand.

When the character or NPCs faces left or right, their weapon handedness changes.

For example, when the character is walking to the right of the screen, they'll have a sword in their right hand and a shield in their left. But the second they face the right, their shield is on their right and their sword on the left.

IIRC in Odin Sphere at least one of the characters has a little animation when you turn around where you can see her switch how she's holding the spear and shield. I thought that was kinda neat.

Rayderism

Intro screens of all the companies involved in the making of a game that can't be skipped every time you load it up. Crash N.Sane Trilogy being a good example.

ozfunghi

Cheating AI. Older Mario Karts come to mind, don't know if it still happens.

Also stuff like Link being able to climb mountains, but he can't jump higher than 20 cm, and he can't climb on anything in the Seikha Shrines, higher than his waist. Ugh. Stuff like this is annoying and it's done in a lot of games.

Bad translations. Also in BotW, i had to look up the English translation of a puzzle in one of the shrines, in order to understand what was asked. Since you can't choose your language unless you change the system language. Also irritating.

Eidan

Any time in a game where I've done something, but NPCs didn't get the memo and keep repeating outdated information. "I've already used the Sword of Light to slay the Dragon of Darkness, thanks. You can shut up about it now."

In Fallout 3 there's a door that blocks your progress that's literally half-rotted away. Your character could, at the very least, reach their arm through the giant hole in it and open it.

gallery_5_6_22677.png

I remember that door. Absolutely fucking absurd.

Developers...

Stop putting artificial input lag into your games. Having to hold down X whilst a circle fills up just to search some chest or choose some option is just terrible design. Horizon Zero Dawn and No Man's Sky are the worst offenders but I'm sure there's more. Stop it. Put a seperate prompt and only for stuff with long-term and permanent consequences.

This.

In Mafia 3, you have to hold X for the circle to fill up to interact with anything!
Even for getting into a car, you have to wait for the circle to fill up. WHY?

And yeah OP, Lara Croft is the worst.

I've been playing Horizon this week, and it's fast-traveled me directly into combat and brought me out of a save into combat. Same thing for games that have started combat behind the scenes while a movie is still playing.

It's not a matter of whether I die or not, just feels like the game equivalent of bullying.

zeorhymer

Couple of things:

1. Fetch quests that has a different person as the end goal. Example, "Please gather 5 watermelons for me." Turn in. "Thanks for the watermelons! They're not actually for me, but for some other guy on the opposite of town (or another area altogether). Would you deliver them? Thanks!" Me -abandon quest.

2. Not being able to go over a ankle high walls (or terrain or object) because of reasons.

3. Artificial world boundaries. Looking at you ME:A. Big giant laser fence keeping you in.

Collectables in games where that not one of the main points of gameplay. FPS games for example should never have them.

It annoys me when scripted moments in games disable or change abilities you freely have usually, like jump height or distances etc.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Unskippable company logos and credits. So arrogant.

Luckily on pc there is almost always a way to remove those videos.

Composer

UI stuff:

1) Lousy fonts
2) Shitty menus
3) Extremely dated designs.
4) Overly-stylized menus.

Not sure if its petty, buts the reason why I can't play Euro-jank RPGS and a lot of JRPGS.

- FPS games where you can't see your feet. I'm a character not some floating camera

I've never really understood why developers do this. It really that hard to model the lower portion of a character's body?

I get its a FPS so we won't really see it when playing but it helps make you feel like your playing as an actual person

JCHandsom

When subtitles are off by default.

I know most people prefer it this way, but it is by far the pettiest thing that bugs me.

This made me laugh too hard! Pretty much what you said and the games I can think of from the top of my head that do this to you are three Fire Emblem games... Blazing Sword, Awakening and Fates.
When the player beats the game, everyone goes on a very short lived spree of joy that the world is saved, maybe a minute or less is spent on that... then right afterwards there are just endless dialogues of each character praising and thanking you. And in all three games, I learned more about myself than the characters in the game. Feels super awkward. Which is why I believe in Fire Emblem series, there should be no player avatar or player involvement in the story. I rather just focus entirely on the main character's legacy, than my "made up fan fiction" if I was in the game.

getting stuck on the tiniest things.

oh no, a pebble! guess I'll have to walk around it or get stuck on it and wonk the fuck out!

Intro screens of all the companies involved in the making of a game that can't be skipped every time you load it up. Crash N.Sane Trilogy being a good example.

hate this shit so much

Doors that open on their own, pressing a button to open a door and it just flies open without your character touching it, NPCs walking through closed doors when leaving a room, etc.

Doors in games kinda suck.

Major Persona 5 spoilers:

The "Blooming Villain" and "Willpower" music for the
Akechi boss fight. Like what the hell. That's a huge boss fight and we get the same damn music we heard about 8 times before.
I never recovered from the disappointment.

ASaiyan

Banned
When a PlayStation game doesn't handle saving itself and you have to click through the super slow system save/load UI every time. This was annoying when it started happening on the PS3 a decade ago, and there are games that still do it.

Omg, Crash is TERRIBLE about this, lol. Takes forever.

There are other games that still do this too.
"A Final Fantasy for Fans and First-Timers"

BouncyFrag

Ridiculous item requirements for crafting and horrible menus in the Witcher 3. The menus were patched but not until after my first play through.

Top Bottom