• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

RevyC

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

I've spent countless hours in that game and it forever changed the way I saw video games.

spectros4

Neo Member
For me, it's between Golden Sun and Heavy Rain.

I played Golden Sun at a time when I was young and first getting into video games. I don't think its a perfect game, but it just resonates with me. I think that's why I prefer the original to the sequel. There's just an aspect of simplicity with the original that I prefer.

I really have an appreciation for what David Cage and Quantic Dream did with Heavy Rain. The whole experience and experimentation with that sort of a game is what sat well with me. I thoroughly enjoyed playing every minute of it from beginning to end. I can't say that about many games I've played.

When I think about this question I feel that the perfect, timeless game for me can't so easily be an RPG or single player action game. Nor can it be a modern, FMV riddled game from this generation. With that being said, my top game is probably Bubble Bobble. No, really.

ibhfFf2wKGQAzH.jpg

I'll keep coming back to Koholint, even after all these years.

Resident Evil 4 still holds that honour for me. It took it from The Secret of Monkey Island. I hope it changes again some day soon.

tamago_sensei

Neo Member
Sid Meier's Pirates! The original version from back in the day. The NES port by Rare (published by Konami/Ultra in the US ) was probably the smoothest version. pirates! presented an open world that changed with the time period, four factions to play in six eras, and a fantastic sandbox full of stuff to do. The Firaxis remake wasn't bad, but the original had no DDR mini-game so I'm sticking with it.

verbum

Old timer here:

Unreal, on my first brand new store bought Win 95 computer with Voodoo graphics. Blew my mind.

Unreal, the excellent old first-person shooter from Epic, unleashed what, honestly, was a new level of gameplay and quality in this genre. The graphics are stunning – the first real mix of Tomb Raider style graphics with Quake 2 style gameplay, but in an environment that outclasses them both, plus adds in a masterful mix of puzzle elements, intriguing storyline, and an ambience of the best adventure games.

Chrono Trigger. It's the one game that I can say I like better than any of the Zeldas or Final Fantasies or Metal Gears or Castlevanias or whatever.

WX3

Half Life 2 is my all time favorite game. Play it annually. I have only played EP1 and EP2 once though...

soultron

Banned
Parappa The Rapper. Fun character designs, catchy tunes, and easy gameplay to get into that rewarded mastery and experimentation. Also doesn't take itself seriously, which is nice to see in a game.

Also, shut the fuck up about Lammy if you're going to be a smart ass and tell me it's better. c;

That's just impossible to say. Especially since I'm the kind of gamer who will buy like one or two games a year, and just play the crap out of them. Very rarely will I buy a game that I end up disliking. But still, every once in a while there will be a game that stands out, even amongst my carefully-picked selections:

Okami
OkamiNTSCcoverFinal.jpg

Pokemon Gold/Silver
pokemon-gold-and-silver_989.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles
Xenoblade_box_artwork.png

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png

Fable
Fablebox.jpg

Chrono Trigger
345567-chrono_trigger_super.jpg

Halo: Combat Evolved
250px-Halobox.jpg

How the fuck do you expect me to choose a favorite?

kevinski

Banned
The Saturn version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Of course, I own every version of SotN in some form, anyway, and I love them all. ^_^

Dom Brunt

GTA San Andreas, Shadow of the Colossus and RDR all still give me feels if I just think about them. Also the original Duke Nukem although I never got to finish it :(

Super Mario World, Paper Mario 64, Golden Sun 1 & 2, Super Mario RPG, Mario Kart 64, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime 1-3, and many more I can't list.

Yamauchi

Banned
That is a really tough question to answer. There are so many I love. But the one game I've probably played more than any other is:

Tribes 2

The game was launched unfinished, but once they got it all patched up, it was kinda like a work of art. The balance between the different types of armor and weapons is simply unrivaled.

Flying through the air, launching a mine in front of you, then hitting the mine mid-air with a spinfusor disc, killing your enemy in one shot... priceless.

Bodacious

Banned
13 pages ... don't know what others have said and ain't got time to read. My favorite video game of all time is Yoshi's Island. Mechanics, graphics, level design - it's just the top in 2D platformers and that's my favorite genre, so that's my favorite game.

Top Bottom