• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

persongr

Pokemon_Yellow.jpg

Metroid prime followed by the windwaker and super mario galaxy. Also this thread just made me by SOTN. I hope i like it. Its my first castlevania game.

I can't choose just one, there are tons of games I really love, Majora's Mask, Mega Man X, Mega Man 9, Metroid Prime 2, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Paper Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Perfect Dark, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Timesplitters 2 & 3, GTA Vice City/San Andreas/IV...

image.jpg

Never played a game I could consider perfection, but this one is as close as it gets. Shoddy translation and lego-block character models aside, FFVII continues to blow me away to this day. The cast, the setting, the soundtrack, the materia system - everything about it is iconic and unforgettable. And then there's the sense of adventure about it all (making it to the world map for the first time - wow!), the ambition and scale of the campaign, the mini-games and optional side-quests... it even made random battles and turn-based combat enjoyable! It manages to hit all its emotional beats as well due to my fondness for the characters, my investment in their plight and Uematsu's perfectly evocative score.

Ah to hell with it, it is perfection.

Top ten to fill it out...

2. Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars
3. Ristar
4. Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
5. Shenmue
6. Final Fantasy VIII
7. Fear Effect
8. Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne
9. Klonoa: Door To Phantomile
10. Power Stone

sono

Challenging..let me get to an answer by listing the games that have left an indelible impression..

Unreal (i.e the first SP game) - the moment when you first get out of the crashed space craft and subsequently evolution of the story changed my expectations of gaming forever and the impact it had on spin offs and game engines

Nier for an amazing JRPG the feelings and the music this game evokes are unique.

Quake 2 for multi-player experiences that I have not been able to quite recapture.

Uncharted 2 for the third person Lara Croft meets Indiana Jones story and graphics

Killzone 2 as the first person shooter for its amazing gritty atmosphere and graphics

Wing Commander III for the first cinematic space game experience.

Darksiders for being lots of things.

Overall winner Unreal.. (probably)

Ahmed360

Many really, but if I have to pick one, it will be my dear Final Fantasy 9 ... I just love it :)

Shadow of the Colossus is another amazing AmAzInG piece of Art!

Sorc3r3r

Metroid Prime.

250px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

Could be interesting to know the age of the poster to understand better the context of the election.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Battlefield 2: Modern Combat [PS2]

Does it measure up to its PC cousin? No, but what it managed to achieve on consoles at the time was incredible. Supremely fun game.

Majora's Mask as a personal favorite, but Ocarina of Time is a better overall game.

Other favorites: Super Metroid/Metroid Prime, TWEWY, Viewtiful Joe, SMB3/World

dab0ne

Resident Evil 2. Beat it 5 times during a finals week. Got my playtime down to 1 hr 54 minutes or something like that. No saves. Normal Difficulty. Leon's Campaign of course.

I think Ninja Gaiden (not the NES one) still ranks as my favorite. I've played it on Xbox, PS3, and on Vita. Also really like Bayonetta.

If I had to pick just one, World of WarCraft. I have put more time into that than my other top 10 games combined. It is the eternal game.

hipgnosis

6Fn4ldX.jpg

Castlevania SOTN for me. So much detail in this 2D world, it is amazing. Not to mention it has the greatest game OST ever. The game is magical.

Top Bottom