• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

Labadal

I'll have to go with Final Fantasy VI. It's not the best game objectively speaking, but every time I play it, I feel like the happiest kid in the world.

Metal Gear Solid 2
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 4
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
and more....

gQG4xtM.jpg

Devil May Cry 3,

Is the HD version better ?

I've never had a single game I could always say is my absolute favorite. It's always changed between a group of games.

Alien vs. Predator arcade game by Capcom
Final Fight 3
Super Metroid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Monkey Island 2

Sometimes I prefer the first Monkey Island over the second.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A few favorites:
Yoshi's Island
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Halo 1
Portal

FloatOn

Dark Souls
... Closely followed by Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

But then there is the issue of other types of games.

Favorite FPS campaign:
Bulletstorm
Bioshock

Favorite multiplayer FPS:
Quake 3 Arena

Puzzle:
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes

RPG:
Skies of Arcadia
Final Fantasy 9
Phantasy Star 4
Final Fantasy Tactics

.... And this is why there are so many "impossible to name one" posts.

HPhins54

Neo Member
Have to go with Halo 2. So many memories from 4 vs 4 lans with friends. We'd start around 11pm, and next thing we knew, the sun was rising. Lots of crazy TDM on Lockout and FFA shotguns on Beaver Creek. Good times.

liquidtmd

Banned
250px-Resident_Evil_2.jpg

Like many, choosing one is flippant since it does depend what mood you're in. I never get bored of RE2 though. I've lost count of the speedruns I've done on it throughout the years across many platforms. It's a depth filled excellent experience. Some may whinge like babies now about 'tank controls' waaah waaah, but I'll take RE2 over any that followed. And that includes RE4, which was pretty damn good.

Close also rans are Mario 64 and Silent Hill 2.

braves01

Banned
I can't pick just one but the ones I think of immediately whenever the question is asked are:

Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid 2/3
Super Mario World
Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Metroid Prime
Super Metroid

SxP

Persona 4. Which makes me very happy that the EU release isn't that far off. Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls are up there as well.

Spazznid

Forgot to say Half-Life 2. I've beaten it about 30 times and halfway beaten it at least 60 more. That's not including times I've beaten cinematic mod. Perfect execution of a single payer fps.

Joe Lee

Hard to list just one, but here's my top 5:

Xenosaga1box.jpg

1. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht. I really credit this along with Chrono Trigger as what got me into RPG's in the first place. Tremendous cast of characters, excellent story telling, and a really cool implementation of various areas of religion and philosophy. While its sequels never reached the same heights of the original, the trilogy was just a fantastic story, and I'm still holding on to that faint, slim, non-existent chance that we may see a continuation. But I've also accepted that we probably never will.

Chrono_Trigger.jpg

2. Chrono Trigger. Much like Xenosaga, Chrono Trigger was what got me into RPG's in the first place. Over fifteen years later, this game still holds up incredibly well, and had one of the most memorable cast of characters ever. I can't even count how many times I played this game start to finish. I've actually been meaning to pick up the DS remake, too, so I can check out that new dungeon and ending.

Xenoblade_box_artwork.png

3. Xenoblade Chronicles. Not only was Xenoblade my favorite game from last year, it also became one of my favorites of all time. Goddamn, Takahashi is a genius.

The_Legend_of_Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_box_art.png

4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. This may just be the nostalgia goggles having effect, but goddamn I've gone through Ocarina countless times and it's the only Zelda game I haven't grown tired of. While other games in the series have since expanded and bettered the formulas introduced in Ocarina, that first step into a fully 3D Hyrule still feels as tremendous as it did all those years ago.

Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

5. Super Mario World. Super Mario World was probably the first game I ever played, and it's the reason I'm a gamer today. After all of these years, there's yet to be another Mario game to top World, and it's another one of those games that I just never grow tired of.

Honorable mentions: Okami, Metal Gear Solid 3, Donkey Kong Country 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Red Dead Redemption, Super Smash Bros Melee

katkombat

Banned
I can name some...

Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
The Last Story (best on the Wii, well, I don't have Xenoblade yet but so far...)
Mark of the Ninja
Borderlands 2
Far Cry 3 (2012 was a good year for me)
Mother 3
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Rez
Skies of Arcadia
Ocarina of Time
The World Ends With You
Devil May Cry 3
Resident Evil 4
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Shadows of the Damned + Lollipop Chainsaw (I love Suda51 games)
Mass Effect Trilogy
Uncharted 1+2+3
Grin Fandango
There's a lot more, too. As you can see, it's hard to name one.

Mr. Fix

Hard to say, especially since each one would fall under its own category. There are a few that will always stick with me.

In no particular order:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
MGS
Uncharted 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Final Fantasy IX
Fire Emblem (GBA)
999/VLR
The World Ends With You

I've been playing P4G and FF XII lately and I also think they'd be up there.

Drain You

Resident Evil 4. I get the urge to replay it every few months. I am such a Leon fanboy.

Runner up would def have to go to Donkey Kong Country 2.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Some of you people are nutso. Deadly Premonition? Kingdom hearts 2? I commend your love of these games, but sheesh.

For me it might have to be either:
Monster_Hunter_Freedom_Unite.jpg

Pok%C3%A9mon_box_art_-_Red_Version.jpg

91259-half-life-2-windows-screenshot-main-menus.jpg

Super-street-fighter-4-characters.jpg

or the multi-player in
Twisted_Metal_Head_On.jpg

OMG forgot half-life 2!!!!!!

In no particular order:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
EarthBound