• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of game you imagine coming from Naughty Dog?

I've never been a fan of their story/slow walk/cutscene heavy elements but holy shit did TLoU2 play like butter. It's the first ND game that I was fully behind because they did finally let go of the reins at least a little and just let me play for long stretches. Just based on that trajectory, I'm really hoping their new IP is something that continues that direction because they've clearly been honing their grasp on satisfying mechanics, game feel and level design.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Last of us has arrived in most peoples eyes, last of us 2 was legit and it’s a story everyone assumes they’ll be a third.

realcool

"wow this story is absolute drivel"

"yeah but thats some good looking drivel though"

probably something like that

Gojiira

This is exactly how it'll be if they make it. Planet hopping, large open levels. Think the Lost Legacy free roam level but per multiple planets. They showed with that game that they could make more detailed levels than the Jedi dev team with no loading issues of any kind.
Yeah they have been building towards those quasi open world structures for a while tbf. Could be really interesting, hopefully it wont be too long before a announcement 😩

Trunim

I really hope they won't do a jax game again. They've moved away from childish games for a while now. Let's stay on course.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

I'd definitely be down for some more Uncharted but for me what made those games so great and timeless was Drake & Sully, that duo was absolute perfection and their banter and incredible voice acting is what elevated it above everything else, without Drake & Sully, it's just going to be another good looking enjoyable adventure romp like the spinoff was

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

A family friendly title called Swinging & Clubbing
Golf Swing Takes Guy By Surprise GIF by ViralHog

Last edited:

midnightAI

I'd definitely be down for some more Uncharted but for me what made those games so great and timeless was Drake & Silly, that duo was absolute perfection and their banter and incredible voice acting is what elevated it above everything else, without Drake & Sully, it's just going to be another good looking enjoyable adventure romp like the spinoff was
For me it's the gameplay, the Uncharted games are better tomb raider games than tomb raider (I still think the best tomb raider game was the first one, but that may just be nostalgia).

But yes, more Uncharted or a spin off, I don't really care so long as it plays and feels the same (with enhancements if needed of course)

For me it's the gameplay, the Uncharted games are better tomb raider games than tomb raider (I still think the best tomb raider game was the first one, but that may just be nostalgia).

But yes, more Uncharted or a spin off, I don't really care so long as it plays and feels the same (with enhancements if needed of course)
Uncharted 2 and 3 are still some of my all time favourites. I agree with the Tomb Raider comparison, I found the Uncharted games always had better and more interesting characters, stories and comedic elements.

Another thing I loved about the franchise, is the games always pushed the Playstation hardware to the limits, and were always visual benchmarks across consoles. I do hope that if Sony are making a new game, they continue with that tradition and push the PS5 hardware.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Obv nothing is gonna capture that first tomb raider experience where you genuinely felt like you where exploring some distant tomb filled with traps and hidden dangers, not to mention that feeling of isolation was second to none. The original tomb raider was a unique experience we never had before in gaming tbf.

I really enjoyed the reboot but didn't think the sequels where as good and they where certainly nowhere near the quality of UC4 or Lost Legacy, then again Naughty Dog are just way out in a league of their own when comes to these sort of narrative driven 3rd person games

ButchCat

I think Sony will have a bigger executive say in their next game, sure TLOUII sold well but was expensive to make (est. $220m) and I have a feeling that their profit margins were not as high as Sony had hoped and so whatever they're making might be "safer".

Last edited:
The same old game we've had for the last 15 years but, if we're lucky, a new setting/characters slapped on top of the boring old formula.

We'll probably get TLOU3 next so they can rush it before the show gets to it.

Would be nice to see them try something different but hey if people buy it you can't blame them for playing it safe and bring in the $

Last edited:
Another moviegames that just hardens my heart even more.

Possibly it will be the great Sony singularity, where it is both a moviegames and a marvel game at the same time.

Maybe Microsoft can save us by buying Sony and mismanaging them so badly that we never hit that point. That is the only thing that can save us from the great capeshit moviegame singularity at the end of time within AAA

Hudo

They're probably (I mean actually Druckmann, mostly) too honed into the "cinematic third-person" game to try something really different. I'd love a new Jak & Daxter game by Naughty Dog. But to be brutally honest, I'd actually love for them to try something completely new. Hey, maybe they can resurrect Motorstorm.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Naughty dog kinda goes through phases (Jak, uncharted, last of us etc.) I think they’ll be a new phase.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I hope we're talking about Factions II here.

If so, I want a more polished, bigger budget Day Z inspired game. It's crazy that they didn't start making that back in 2019.

tusharngf

A game suited for genz people with diverse cast plus graphics never seen before. May be a semi open world game with rpg mechanics or a futuristic mecha based title. I hope they go all out with this one.

Probably some pseudo artistic endeavor under Dr.Uckmann's leadership that'll make you continue to wonder if its the same studio it once was.

Are we talking the OG Tomb raider or the "new" Tomb raider? Even though Uncharted was enjoyable for what it was, the old Tomb raider games had supremely more gameplay depth than anything Uncharted could offer.

I just hope it's a simple old dime store adventure novel story with simple characters and simple but fun interactions. No revenge plots. No multi-dimensional characters, Just give me a good guy and a bad guy who butt heads in fun ways.

Set it in the 1930's With a big Blimp set Piece and Biplanes.

midnightAI

Probably some pseudo artistic endeavor under Dr.Uckmann's leadership that'll make you continue to wonder if its the same studio it once was.

Are we talking the OG Tomb raider or the "new" Tomb raider? Even though Uncharted was enjoyable for what it was, the old Tomb raider games had supremely more gameplay depth than anything Uncharted could offer.
Uncharted is better than any of the new ones obviously. I already said that in my opinion Tomb Raider 1 is the best of the lot.

They are different games though, Uncharted main focus is guns really with some platforming and puzzles, Tomb Raider (originals) are all about platforming and puzzles with some gun play.

mrmustard

Banned
Funny how different opinions are. I don't know the old Tomb Raiders, but i think the new ones have way better gameplay than Uncharted 4. Walk, Talk, climb, hours of driving that boring Jeepi in a wannabe open world, 2 button brawls, very rudimentary shoot outs, rudimentary ridiculously easy 'riddles', no skillsystem, no crafting, no upgrades, no items (except basic weapons).

Last edited:

midnightAI

Funny how different opinions are. I don't know the old Tomb Raiders, but i think the new ones have way better gameplay than Uncharted 4. Walk, Talk, climb, hours of driving that boring Jeepi in a wannabe open world, 2 button brawls, very rudimentary shoot outs. No skillsystem, no crafting, no upgrades, no items (except basic weapons).
So it's you who keeps buying Tomb Raider, stop it, they may go back to the original style of games

A literary thriller like " The Alienist" or "Devil In The White City" . They have a knack for environmental design, it would be cool to see their version of Victorian NYC or Chicago.
That said, I would be surprised, and maybe happy, if they are not tapped to do an IP from Marvel or Universal...

Robbinhood

Banned
Whatever game you want them to make, there’s 10 more out there. Let them make whatever they want. That will lead to the best end product.

VEZ1R

Neo Member
They were best of the best but ND changed too much and in game industry they are not a flagship studio anymore. Their next game will prove that. They have unhealthy amount of woke poisoning in their bodies. I'm waiting next Cory Barlog game instead.

Ar¢tos

Crash Bandicoot!
But Crash is now a middle aged bandicoot in the middle of a bitter divorce after his teen lesbian slut daughter died from cocaine OD, stuck in a dead end job, constantly reliving the past in his head wondering what he could have done differently, addicted to sleeping pills and finding pleasure only in auto erotic asphyxiation, in a quest to find peace again.

Shubh_C63

Definitely something fantasy or heavy exploration.

I think they wanna go really open world this time padding out the game time and fantasy secret temple exploration like Uncharted would be the key. No idea about combat, can't see them doing swords and shields though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They were best of the best but ND changed too much and in game industry they are not a flagship studio anymore. Their next game will prove that. They have unhealthy amount of woke poisoning in their bodies. I'm waiting next Cory Barlog game instead.

Not a flagship studio? Lol, TLOU2 is like the most AAA flagship game ever made (you liking it or not doesn't change that).

VEZ1R

Neo Member
Not a flagship studio? Lol, TLOU2 is like the most AAA flagship game ever made (you liking it or not doesn't change that).
That game was made mostly in transition phase of ND, so it still had very high production quality and some artistic vision. I think current ND incapable of reaching to that level again.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That game was made mostly in transition phase of ND, so it still had very high production quality and some artistic vision. I think current ND incapable of reaching to that level again.

How can you say that when they haven't released (or even shown) a game since then (except for the TLOU1 remake)? What is "current ND"?

Top Bottom