• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Remains of Edith Finch |OT| Short Stories in a Tall Building

JonnyKong

tumblr_olsxycFKdy1w6oohno1_500.gif

😃😄

Thanks for reminding me why I love this guy, even if I do see him every day as my avatar.

WITHE1982

Finished this last night and boy I've never grinned as much playing a game.

The homage to
Halloween/Tales From The Crypt, The Unfinished Swan section (complete with music), The Cannery's Isometric RPG stuff and the Bathtub section
were all masterfully crafted.

The whole narrative and story execution was extremely well done. The voice acting was all on point and the music was terrific. As far as Walking Sims go it's up there as one of the best I've ever played.

Hats of to Giant Sparrow. This is definitely a game that I'll play through again and will stick with me for some time.

My only gripes are the
rather ambiguous ending
and a couple of slight stuttering issues in certain sections.

Ridley327

This inclusive part of the Lewis story was very cool.

what_remains_of_edith_finch_bisexual_lgbt_by_digi_matrix-db75zsn.png

On a similar note,
finding out about Edith's father a little bit before you get the story about he met Dawn was a really cool surprise. I almost had to do a double take when I saw the gravestone until I put two and two together. It's about as beautifully understated as you could get for a relationship like that.

Majora

On a similar note,
finding out about Edith's father a little bit before you get the story about he met Dawn was a really cool surprise. I almost had to do a double take when I saw the gravestone until I put two and two together. It's about as beautifully understated as you could get for a relationship like that.

This must have gone over my head...can you elaborate?

JPS Kai

This had been on my to play list for some time, but I figured there would have been more fanfare up to its release. Feels like it just quietly dropped on the store.

this joins the list of my favorite videogames of all time. i want to see the movie version
I don't understand this. Everything that's great about the story and its delivery is bound to its interactive nature. The same plot as a movie simply wouldn't have the same impact in my opinion.

On a similar note,

We talking about how Edith and Lewis are mixed race because of their indian dad Sanjay?

Majora

Is this a depressing/sad game or it has a happy ending?

I don't mind contexual spoilers just not full blown ones.

For a game all about death it really isn't very depressing or morbid at all, almost entirely because of the way the deaths are presented. It's a really hard game to talk about without spoiling it but it is, by turns, touching, tragic, funny and life-affirming.

It's not three grim hours of watching people die if that's what you're getting at. Some of it is delightful, in its own odd way.

Reedirect

Is this a depressing/sad game or it has a happy ending?

I don't mind contexual spoilers just not full blown ones.

I'm starting to despise this overused term, but this game is the very definition of bittersweet. It deals with some heavy topics, and yet I definitely wouldn't call it depressing.

noomi

Having a hard time finding details on if there are any ps4 pro enhancements, anyone care to comment?

Wozman23

About the ending (Spoilers obviously)

Edith knew that she didn't have long to live, and her dialogue at the end seemed to take place inside of a vein/artery (with lots of heart-pumping sound effects) so I'm guessing she had a heart disease. The game is essentially her letter to her unborn child, telling him about his family, and after writing it all down she lived long enough to have the baby but not much longer.

The boy at the end is her son.

That's the perspective of her son as he is being born

More end game stuff
I'm replaying through Unfinished Swan right now to see how it parallels the game, but my original interpretation was that Edith was writing everything for her missing brother, Milton. Maybe I missed something, but i thought it was never established that he died - I'm not sure where the 2003 death date on the family tree came from since it wasn't listed elsewhere - so I assumed he was the boy at the end. I'd also assumed that the very beginning of the game on the boat was from Edith's perspective, but looking at it again, you are the boy.

I do like the birth and son interpretation better than my initial ambiguous heart-related death and brother returning interpretation, but both are possible if the story is self-contained. I still have to connect the dots with The Unfinished Swan, but if it is cannon, then we have a few other possibilities, like maybe Munroe, the boy in it, is visiting his aunt's grave?

I wonder about the boy's arm cast. Was it simply to denote the difference in characters, or a nod to how accidents strike the family.

Yeah, that thing.
Yeah, that was done so well.
At first I was like, why do I look brown while nearly everyone else is white? And then figuring it out that Dawn went away to India to teach.
Dawn's desk is a dead giveaway but not everyone might check it. Environmental storytelling, ftw.

Yeah, echoing that this game is amazing. It's like if you mixed Gone Home and Kentucky Route Zero together.

At first I was like, why do I look brown while nearly everyone else is white? And then figuring it out that Dawn went away to India to teach.
Dawn's desk is a dead giveaway but not everyone might check it. Environmental storytelling, ftw.
Milton's missing poster in the very beginning of the game describes him as being
part Indian

Yeah, echoing that this game is amazing. It's like if you mixed Gone Home and Kentucky Route Zero together.

Milton's missing poster in the very beginning of the game describes him as being
part Indian

I didn't even check that but now that I have, you're right! Nice catch.

Koralsky

Bravo, Giant Sparrow, bravo! My GOTY so far

The one and only negative that I can say is the performance on the standard PS4. Some, more than visible stutters, mostly because of the level streaming system they are using.

And again, someone reminds me why Sony ditch this project (which IMO, is an absolute masterpiece)?

Melchiah

The one and only negative that I can say is the performance on the standard PS4. Some, more than visible stutters, mostly because of the level streaming system they are using.

And again, someone reminds me why Sony ditch this project (which IMO, is an absolute masterpiece)?

I didn't notice any stutter on the Pro, with boost mode enabled. If there was any, it certainly wasn't as bad as it was in Firewatch.

It's weird, that they dropped an amazing game like this.

Finished it today and can recommend it to anyone who likes narrative-driven experiences. It is very efficient in terms of storytelling and shows what can be accomplished within this new genre of games.

holygeesus

Banned
Played it, loved it. I have no idea how people can think the ending is ambiguous though, although I haven't read through this thread yet.

As to the pro performance. It felt very sluggish to me, and there are odd stutters here and there and streaming assets sometimes take a while to load in, after a new section loads in. There's no noise while playing either, so it doesn't appear to be pushing the Pro at all, which is a shame.

Ridley327

It seems like they're just done with indie incubation in general. It's really weird in the case of this game, since Giant Sparrow used to operate right out of Sony Santa Monica's office.

JonnyKong

In regards to the trophy you get for
waiting until it passes a specific person in the credits
, anyone know why him? Am I missing an in-joke or is it totally random?

ymgve

Was it that hard to figure out? Once you figured out the layout of the family tree on the pause screen, it seemed pretty obvious that the father named Sanjay might not be caucasian.

phansen

Neo Member
Just finished it, beautiful game.
This is the perfect example for how interactive storytelling can be done in really interesting, creative ways. There's no audio logs or plain text to read or holograms to watch. The story sequences are actually told through really cool little gameplay sequences that are very different in very cool ways. A couple of them do things i've never seen in a videogame.
Quite the opposite of games like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture that don't really have an idea how to do interactive storytelling expect for just telling the story. In Edith Finch you experience the events first hand. Loved it.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Does anyone else think this game can totally work well with VR?
Experiencing that swing section in VR would be nuts lol

Wozman23

In regards to the trophy you get for
waiting until it passes a specific person in the credits
, anyone know why him? Am I missing an in-joke or is it totally random?

His role on the game was
"Audio + Unlockables Programmer" so he just programmed himself a shoutout.

It seems like they're just done with indie incubation in general. It's really weird in the case of this game, since Giant Sparrow used to operate right out of Sony Santa Monica's office.

And Giant Sparrow had signed a 3 game deal. That seemed to be the standard contract, so it would appear a few of those deals became null and void.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Beat it as well. Loved every min of it.

Amazing game :)

Wozman23

After game discussion:

I revisited a few sections and
then replayed through the Unfinished Swan - which is still an amazing experience as well - to look for parallels. Just in case you haven't played The Unfinished Swan, the next paragraph is about it then it's back to WROEF after that.

So if we consider it canon and not a work of fiction, then Edith's lost brother, Milton, leaves and lives a long life. However he's a bit paranoid and even has a dream about his own death. He marries an artist, and they have a son, Munroe. So Edith has a kid in 2017 who later gains a cousin in Munroe. Or Milton died, either in the house or elsewhere, or it's all just fiction and fantasy.

I still wonder:
Who buried Edith?
Who's the kid living with?
We don't know anything about his dad, but I'm guessing that's really the only option, unless Milton reappeared?

ToKre

so how long is this game supposed to be??

and is there voice acting , usually trailers for these type a game spoil alot so i want to walk in blind.

Which folks are missable? I feel like I'm at the end and maybe missed one.

Never mind, I guess a couple go at the end together. I'm thinking you can't miss any?

Great game. Great story. Wanted to see what was in
the sunken house.

Melchiah

Played it, loved it. I have no idea how people can think the ending is ambiguous though, although I haven't read through this thread yet.

As to the pro performance. It felt very sluggish to me, and there are odd stutters here and there and streaming assets sometimes take a while to load in, after a new section loads in. There's no noise while playing either, so it doesn't appear to be pushing the Pro at all, which is a shame.

Boost mode on or off?

Short but sweet. Just finished it in about 2 hours. The story could have gone on some and explained everything more since half of it was over my head, but the gameplay was great. Glad I bought it.

Finished it before college this morning. Damn that Owl trophy was tedious though, took me 5 goes to get it. Great game, well worth the €20 I spent

PaulloDEC

Just now finished it. Really liked it overall, though I don't think I quite connected with it emotionally the way I did with Gone Home or The Beginner's Guide. I might have to give it another run sometime and see if I'm able to absorb it all better with a little foreknowledge.

I loved all the individual vignettes though, and the house itself is a beautiful creation.

panda-zebra

Great game. The variety in the storytelling was quite remarkable, all the way through to the credits all very well thought out and implemented. I had a couple of semi-janky moments (awkwardly poping through a door several times while trying to simply look to the side being the worst) but so minor in the overall experience. Spent well over 3 hours, I never rush and don't like feeling I've missed out on anything..

Haven't bothered with trophies for such a long time, but doing so to get just a bit more out of this one. Just got to do more peeping and replay a story.

Top Bottom