• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Remains of Edith Finch |OT| Short Stories in a Tall Building

ike_

Welp, Giant Sparrow is 2/2 for games I absolutely adore. Didn't even realize they were the devs on Unfinished Swan until after I bought it.

That was great. I do think that it fell just short of hitting the same kind of emotional weight as a Life is Strange or Walking Dead S1, but there were a serious number of "wow" moments throughout the entire game, and the pacing of exposition and your path through the house felt much, much more refined than Gone Home. The Beginner's Guide was my favorite walking sim before, but I think this might be my new #1.

What a masterpiece of storytelling and design, trully incredible.

Only gripe is that it's feels almost on rails but what do I care? brilliant game.

Edith: I'll replay this at least once.

me, everyday
BvN5zCS.jpg

Now I finally get this haha hilarious.

I felt ripped off buying Gone Home all those years ago. This seems to also be a short but actually great experience going by all the reviews comments here. It's tempting me to be honest but I'm cautious still.

I liked some of the individual stories. But the overall story was just kinda bland. I cared more for the people in the stories and their plights than the overall family themes.

I felt ripped off buying Gone Home all those years ago. This seems to also be a short but actually great experience going by all the reviews comments here. It's tempting me to be honest but I'm cautious still.

It's way more directed and the design is sublime with different interactions, it's the same genre but it plays differently than Gone Home.
Don't wanna say much but I got some Benjamin Button vibes from it.

The narrative is much more direct told in this game, explicitly told across concise short stories that require no vaguely archaeological gameplay to uncover.

If you wished that Gone Home was more to the point and varied (across multiple genres no less), without spending as much time exploring the growth of a single character, this might connect with you much more than Gone Home. Despite similar gameplay, their tone couldn't be more different.

I think I slightly prefer Gone Home though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Edith made me cry 5ever though, where Gone Home didn't.

Also, the one positive of that awful "Games Are Better Without Stories" article is that it's​ a pretty positive endorsement of the game who disagrees with that terrible opinion.

If Giant Sparrow makes 50 more games with this level of thoughtful mise en scene, I'd gobble them all up in a heartbeat.

wouwie

Just finished it and enjoyed it a lot. It's creative, touching, imaginative and thought-provoking. I might even play it again at some point in the future. It's a memorable gaming experience.

The game has a lot of atmosphere due to the wonderful visuals (stuffed with lots of tiny details) and the awesome sountrack and sound effects. It really feels like going through an old family house while discovering the secrets that it holds.

It's a pity some technical issues popped up (playing on a base PS4) but it didn't ruin the experience at all.

Next up for me is Little Nightmares but this game reminded me that i still need to play Blackwood Crossing and Night in the Woods at some point soon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the resolution really limited to 1080p? That's odd. Digital Foundry was able to play at 4k on this.

It's capped at the native resolution of your display. It's possible to set a higher resolution in GameUserSettings.ini, but this doesn't seem to actually achieve anything even though the nominated resolution is reflected in the game's options menu.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished. Adored it. Perfect length and pacing for a focused virtual narrative. Inventive and engaging with elegant simplicity and intrigue in game systems. Visually immersing. Thematically entwined and provoking.

Completed it in a single sitting and found myself continually moved by its bittersweet introspective on the potent yet necessary role of death in a family unit, loading tragedy with humour, disaster with imagination, exploring the absurd within the framework of believable.

For the cynical: it's a linear walking simulator rooted in narration and basic interactivity. For those who see the interactive landscape as a valid medium to express concepts and stories in a way where even basic interactivity plays an integral role in conveying ideas, What Remains of Edin Finch is a succinct gem.

absolutely loved this. i perhaps wished there was more complex puzzles to unlock each room but there is no narrative hook for that in the story as is, and perhaps would have only bogged down the pacing.

i completed the game but didn't unlock the 'everything ends' trophy... am i missing something?

edit: completely missed one, haha.

megalowho

Great game, great writing and great environmental storytelling. Reminded me of One Hundred Years of Solitude in a lot of ways, the magical realism and cursed family lineage. Really strong sense of forward momentum as you explore the house, floating through the Finch clan's morbid history with unique presentation twists and excellent voice acting from the various narrators. Pleasantly surprised at how dense it was and how much ground is covered in just 2-3 hours.

Storywise I understand why they kept the supernatural elements ambiguous but the game would have left a bigger impact for me with more payoff before it ends. Specifically Edie's story,
when it appears things are about to tie together in a meaningful way and they pull the rug out from you instead.
. Still really cool and highly recommended as is, couldn't put it down.

Finished it three times, there goes games with no replayability.

Also,

Stories:

1- Lewis
2- Calvin
3- Gregory
4- Sam
5- Barbara
6- Molly
7- Walter
8- Milton
9- Odin
10- Gus

Necron

Just finished this.

Sad ending...

That bathtub and fish scene were brilliantly done. Halloween theme brought a smile to my face...

Got this on PC.

Completed the first story (are they in order?) - the little girl.

Was enjoying it until it got weird
changing into the animals. Now I'm an owl.
Now I'm a shark. Now I'm thinking about exiting to main menu...

Will go back to it though as it's so short.

Got this on PC.

Think about Benjamin Button and Big Fish, if you can't get into it then you'll feel off most of the game.
Stories are in order I guess I suppose you can skip some but I don't know.

Nemesis_

I think I understood this (especially the bathtub scene which was depressing but also beautiful? Such a strange juxtaposition) but is there an analysis or synopsis somewhere?

holygeesus

Banned
Got this on PC.

I'm curious as to what you expected this game to be?

Chitown B

Got this on PC.

that's the weirdest section to play, in my opinion.

I have a specific question about this game I was hoping someone who has played through could answer for me. I understand the game deals with death of several members of a family or something to that effect. I want to know if this ever gets overly depressing? I ask this because whilst I find this game really appealing on many levels, I currently have a very sick father (cancer) and am finding myself somewhat easily triggered of late, for the lack of a better term. Any thoughts on that? No need to go into specifics, just don't know if this has anything on an emotional level that might be too much.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have a specific question about this game I was hoping someone who has played through could answer for me. I understand the game deals with death of several members of a family or something to that effect. I want to know if this ever gets overly depressing? I ask this because whilst I find this game really appealing on many levels, I currently have a very sick father (cancer) and am finding myself somewhat easily triggered of late, for the lack of a better term. Any thoughts on that? No need to go into specifics, just don't know if this has anything on an emotional level that might be too much.

That's a hard question to answer, because it'll depend on how you resonate with the narrative. Death is a major theme, but the focal point is how people are impacted by death. The deaths range from absurd to tragic, specific to vague, and it definitely pulls on the heart strings on more than one occasion. But it wears death on its sleeve, as a central concept explored without reservation. It's less about "death is really sad", and more "death is sad, and weird, and funny, and tragic, and many things". In particular with how the leaving deal with death.

Rhoc

Finished it and had to take a walk after it. So much emotions that hit home for me. Great game and the best walking simulation that i played. The music was also unbelievable good in some segments. I hope this game sells well it truly deserves it.

I found it comforting. This week is the 2nd anniversary of my father's passing. In fact today is his birthday. In a way it kind of helped focus my feelings about dealing with his death, and learning to remember his life not his passing.

benzopil

Got this on PC.

You realize who are you playing as, right?

That's a hard question to answer, because it'll depend on how you resonate with the narrative. Death is a major theme, but the focal point is how people are impacted by death. The deaths range from absurd to tragic, specific to vague, and it definitely pulls on the heart strings on more than one occasion. But it wears death on its sleeve, as a central concept explored without reservation. It's less about "death is really sad", and more "death is sad, and weird, and funny, and tragic, and many things". In particular with how the leaving deal with death.

I found it comforting. This week is the 2nd anniversary of my father's passing. In fact today is his birthday. In a way it kind of helped focus my feelings about dealing with his death, and learning to remember his life not his passing.

Thanks for the replies. I might give it a try, it sounds like they take on the most difficult of topics in a manner that I might find some value in.

In some TV shows and movies of late I find myself recoiling from some depictions of extremely ill loved ones. Some scenes that linger and really forcefully push home what is happening have been getting to me. Though I am aware I am currently in a overly sensitive state in regards to that thing, but sometimes it feels like the point is driven home a bit too hard.

I think I understood this (especially the bathtub scene which was depressing but also beautiful? Such a strange juxtaposition) but is there an analysis or synopsis somewhere?

I think this post summarizes the themes well..

What I took away from it..
The end scene at the dinner table brings it all together. You can come to all sorts of conclusions to everything that happens in the last minutes, but to me the simplest is there is no boogieman, nothing supernatural, there is no curse. Death is death. It takes people young and old in all manners. The more you obsess over it the worse it will overcome you. You can try to hide from it like Walter, but what kind of life is that. You can try to run from it like Dawn does in the end, but that doesn't work either. Edie instead accepts death is going to happen, and on her own terms (comment about pills and alcohol, rather than a life in a nursing home). You can see the conflict with how she views death and loss with how your mom does throughout the entire game. Your mom ripping the book from you is a nod to forbidden knowledge. The book had the answers. We don't know, and possibly can't know depending on your persuasion on these topics, what happens and why we live and die. I think the game's central message is: Living for death is a bad way to live. Even if it feels like it is a constant companion. Nobody escapes it. Find a way to make peace with it.

ShutterMunster

The guys over at The Optional just interviewed Giant Sparrow's creative director, Ian Dallas, about Edith Finch.
https://youtu.be/Ndj12kGBwIQ

Think it gets a bit spoilery but it most in here have beat it already (ain't like it takes very long to do so).

Really enjoyable experience. It's not my favorite one of those --Gone Home is still the king...or queen?-- but they did some really wonderful things from a presentation perspective.

Wozman23

The guys over at The Optional just interviewed Giant Sparrow's creative director, Ian Dallas, about Edith Finch.
https://youtu.be/Ndj12kGBwIQ

Thanks for this. I didn't know he did an AMA that answered a few of my questions, both about the game itself and Giant Sparrow's recent years:

On moving from Sony to Annapurna Interactive:
On our end, "the switch" happened when the head of the external development team at Sony asked if I could step into his office for a minute. It was one of those meetings that come out of the blue that can go a lot of different ways. And I looked around the room and was like, "why are all these other people joining us for this meeting too. Uh oh."

That was the first time I'd heard talk about Annapurna buying the game from Sony.

In the months leading up to that, a lot of our friends who used to work at Sony had moved over to Annapurna. A lot of those folks had been working with on Edith Finch for several years at that point, so I think they felt like (a) this was a game that would be a really good fit for Annapurna, and (b) they had some confidence that they (and we) could pull it off.

So on our end, the transition was pretty easy. Day-to-day, we're still working with a lot of the same people on the publisher side that we've always been working with. In a way, staying at Sony actually would have been stranger, since we would have had to get used to a whole new set of producers.

Our relationship with Annapurna has been very open and positive, quite similar to the way we used to interact with Sony. It helps that both sides have very similar goals: trying to make something that nobody's ever seen before.

On Milton
and whether or not The Unfinished Swan was canon:
Yes, I'd consider it canon.

Also worth pointing out, since I've seen some confusion about this online: Milton is The King, not the protagonist, in The Unfinished Swan. The protagonist already has his own perfectly serviceable name, Monroe.

On the lack of a platinum trophy:
I just asked our QA lead and our Annapurna producer and they said we don't have a Platinum trophy because "we were not allowed to."

As a small scale game, Sony's policy is that we should deny our fans the satisfaction of a Platinum trophy. Those are just my words, btw, I think Sony's official documentation phrases it slightly differently.

On the option of DLC:
It's unlikely that we'd be adding anything in the form of DLC etc, but it's not possible. We've joked about doing a "Finch Petz" DLC that explores the lives of several pets in the house. The more we talk about it, the less is starts to feel like a joke.

One of the things we also wanted to do initially in the game was to have guest developers contribute stories. That didn't end up happening, but I could see doing something like that as a fun way to expand the universe a bit and explore our existing family members (or new ones) a bit.

On Giant Sparrow's future:
Our next project will probably be focused on animation.

It's something I'm personally very interested in, and a lot of my favorite games (like Ico) and movies (Spirited Away) rely a lot on movement to say things that wouldn't sound the same in any other way.

My own plan is take some time off and take some animation courses to help develop my skills (and eyes) as an animator.

As to what that next game actually ends up looking like, who knows.

I cant get over how
Much i loved this. I was onioning up at the end there. What a wonderful, creative, touching, and consice experience. Congrats to everyone at giant sparrow

So how did
molly
and
barbera
actually die?

Just finished it a short, but very sweet game. Really enjoyed the different gameplay techniques each story used.

I cant get over how
Much i loved this. I was onioning up at the end there. What a wonderful, creative, touching, and consice experience. Congrats to everyone at giant sparrow

So how did
molly
and
barbera
actually die?

If there deaths weren't literal then I would assume Molly
when sent to bed without supper actually did eat the gerbil food, toothpaste, (real?) berries and died from poisoning from those. Barbara I guess like the comic implies, was actually murdered by Rick (her boyfriend) who then disposed of the body and either disposed of himself or skipped town.

EatChildren

My interpretation was that Molly
died of smallpox or some kind of disease, as if I recall correctly she had spots on her arms, but it could have been food poisoning too
. And Barbara
was murdered

woxel1

Really special game, there are a couple moments that worked their way deep into me. Another great work by Giant Sparrow.

On Giant Sparrow's future:
"Our next project will probably be focused on animation.

It's something I'm personally very interested in, and a lot of my favorite games (like Ico) and movies (Spirited Away) rely a lot on movement to say things that wouldn't sound the same in any other way.

My own plan is take some time off and take some animation courses to help develop my skills (and eyes) as an animator.

As to what that next game actually ends up looking like, who knows."
Interesting. We got the upcoming Rime, so maybe it could be along those lines, and possibly third person instead of sticking to firstperson?

Tinúviel

I just finished the game,this was one the most special thing i've ever played or watched.Truly a masterpiece.

Gregory you rock man.

All the stories were sad and odd but Lewis's story was something else they beautifly designed that part it reminded me kinda Inception.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Beautiful game. I almost missed it, too.

I enjoyed the game, but one moment angered me as a father.
I don't care if the Apocalypse was happening outside my door. I would never leave my children alone in the tub. She does it twice too!

Maximo

Glad I gave this a chance so far its really good.
Edit: Just finished it....Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan what a kick to the heart one of the best *walking sims* I have ever experienced what a creative game.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished this game twice in one day. lol

Loved it though. I love Tim Burton and the writing and style of this game heavily reminded me of Tim Burton movies.

Great game. Not sure it's worth 20 bucks though. I mean, it's REALLY short.

Micerider

Splendid game. I needed something short and refreshing after two long games (Zelda and Horizon) and this fit the bill perfectly.

I was touched by all the little stories and the imaginative way to present them. It's not a "happy" game but it manages somehow to make you feel good every so often.

I wish more people would experience it, it doesn't seem to get much attention.

Some thoughts and complaints about the ending...

I didn't really enjoy the ending, or I guess I didn't really get it. Every member of the family died in relatively ridiculous means, almost final-destination style, however up until the end I considered the point to be that the house, family environment, society etc. were driving their behaviour and indirectly, causing these unfortunate events to occur. The children were locked away, influencing their behaviour, would they have been so yearning for exploration (to the point that their experimentation often killed them) if it were not for the environment that they lived?

At that point, I felt as though the family moving out of the house was a means of escaping the curse, escaping their family, not the curse itself. But then, both members of the family that left the home, died relatively soon after, and in circumstances that aren't exactly normal (especially the mother, who died during childbirth).

So the message changed, from something that could have being trying to highlight the influence of the environment (our 'macrosystem' if you will), on our individual-level behaviour, to some trite about the inevitability of death and in this case, the reality of a 'family curse'.

So in the end what remains of Edith Finch is her Son, but all evidence points towards curse being real, and therefore, nothing will remain of the Finch family aside the house. Her son will die in unusual circumstances too.

I didn't find it very satisfying, or thought provoking, in the end, the way that everything ultimately just boils down to supernatural nonsense (the curse). Similar to the ending of games like Furi, which spoil the tone of the entire game within their final moments. Although with all of that said, I liked the game overall, good story telling throughout - I don't feel a story necessarily needs a good ending to entertain, though it does help.

Top Bottom