• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Remains of Edith Finch |OT| Short Stories in a Tall Building

Melchiah

Pretty amazing. Swan was a personal favorite, also irked me that people, or, reviewers, got turned off when the whole game wasn't the white canvas of the first 'level'

Agreed. The change was welcome, and it would have grown tedious if it had remained like that all the way.

Wozman23

Then to spoilers...

The homage to
Tales from the Crypt comics and Halloween
was just fantastic, and made me feel all giddy inside. I adored how the gameplay mechanics changed, like in
Lewis' tale, which also struck me personally.

The first you mentioned reminded me of
when the The Unfinished Swan changes styles in its later parts, and I loved the way the comic book transitioned.

The second you mentioned was by far my favorite.
I loved the message of living in monotony and dreaming of a fantasy world. I enjoyed trying to multitask and chop as many fish as possible, while navigating the daydream. And I laughed more at MinneapLewis than I probably should have.
Probably gonna go back and play that one again to see
some of the other branching options
as I went
queen, rainbow, electric sitar.

I really liked the whimsy of
Gregory's tale
as well especially when juxtaposed against
a child drowning.

The only complaint I have about the story is the end
and how you're about to read Edie's tale and explore the sunken house, but then it's ripped away. I was really interested in where that was going.

I think there are a lot of interesting things to discuss about a lot of the tales, and the ending. For one Edith's
death was abrupt and unexplained. I assumed it was portrayed like some kind of cardiac issue, but Milton appeared to be pretty young in the end. Did some time pass after she visited the house or did she die in it? And who buried her at the estate?

iiicon

also, how would you sail from norway to the pacific northwest?

Haha, this bothered me too! Each time I saw some image identifying the setting as Washington I did a head shake.

That was a lovely, imaginative, creative game. Some of these stories are stunning. Lewis's story in particular, with the visual metaphor of depression is the high point of this game.

Wozman23

also, how would you sail from norway to the pacific northwest?

It's a long trip, but it's doable. It's not that difficult thanks to the Panama canal. I'd be more concerned with the logistics
of getting that house on a ship. How'd that make it all the way within a few hundred feet to shore?
Ultimately, a lot of the tales
mingle between fantasy and reality, so who is to say any of it is factual.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
It's a long trip, but it's doable. It's not that difficult thanks to the Panama canal. I'd be more concerned with the logistics
of getting that house on a ship. How'd that make it all the way within a few hundred feet to shore?
Ultimately, a lot of the tales
mingle between fantasy and reality, so who is to say any of it is factual.

m
agical
r
ealism

Things I thought of while playing the game:
Stephen King's It
(Molly)
Like Water for Chocolate
(the ending) yes really
Brothers a tale of two sons
(cannary)
sony duck bath tub demo
gregory
my fucking childhood
swing
unfinished swan :)
flipbook
I'm a very reductive person

WolfeTone

when the The Unfinished Swan changes styles in its later parts, and I loved the way the comic book transitioned.

I loved the message of living in monotony and dreaming of a fantasy world. I enjoyed trying to multitask and chop as many fish as possible, while navigating the daydream. And I laughed more at MinneapLewis than I probably should have.
as I went

Gregory's tale
a child drowning.

and how you're about to read Edie's tale and explore the sunken house, but then it's ripped away. I was really interested in where that was going.

I think there are a lot of interesting things to discuss about a lot of the tales, and the ending. For one Edith's
death was abrupt and unexplained. I assumed it was portrayed like some kind of cardiac issue, but Milton appeared to be pretty young in the end. Did some time pass after she visited the house or did she die in it? And who buried her at the estate?

Spoilers for the whole game
Did anyone catch the date of death on Edith's grave in the final scene? I missed it.

Also, thoughts on how Molly died? Neglect? Starvation? Did she fall from her window?

I felt similarly regarding not hearing all of Edie's tale. I was pretty pumped to explore that submerged house, but I think thematically it made sense that we didn't get to hear Edie's story. Edie was the one who was obsessed with the past, to the point where she had turned the whole house into a mausoleum for her dead family with individual shrines in each room. The curse of the family to me, was being tied to the past and those stories. Edith's mother Dawn tearing her away from the story fits with the idea that they had to leave all of that behind.

Melchiah

as I went

Gregory's tale
a child drowning.

Yeah, the transitions were really great, and I also loved how it referred to the
scream queens of the 80's horror movies.

I also laughed at the same thing in the second, and tried to do what you did. I'll have to check out the
Prince, rainbow, and sitar routes
when I show the game to my girlfriend in the weekend. It was pretty funny, how
the prince was beautiful, and the princess was handsome, and the ending was clever.
The tale reminded me of my own past.
When I was going through a rough time, and suffering from insomnia, I started to build an imaginary stronghold to lull myself to sleep. Envisioning it in detail, and adding things to it every night. Eventually, it grew from an empty stronghold in a remote valley to an inhabited castle in the middle of the lake, and from there to a sprawling complex at sea. I still continue building it from time to time, when I have trouble to find sleep.

The way the tales were
wrapped up was very satisfying, and I liked how they flipped between the emotional spectrum.
I can agree with your complaint, as that's exactly what I was thinking at the moment, when
you were just about to enter the sunken house, but the entrance was denied at the last minute.

Wozman23

Spoilers for the whole game
Did anyone catch the date of death on Edith's grave in the final scene? I missed it.

Also, thoughts on how Molly died? Neglect? Starvation? Did she fall from her window?

Jan 18, 2017, and for Molly my guess was starvation from neglect. Lewis' death was nebulous as well. I was so waiting for him to chop his hand off. While the way it plays out doesn't explicitly show it, I'd still like to believe it was a simple occupational accident due to his daydreaming... or maybe he went full blown insane and actually chopped his head off.

Melchiah

Jan 18, 2017, and for Molly my guess was starvation from neglect. Lewis' death was nebulous as well. I was so waiting for him to chop his hand off. While the way it plays out doesn't explicitly show it, I'd still like to believe it was a simple occupational accident due to his daydreaming... or maybe he went full blown insane and actually chopped his head off.

Regarding the girl...
I had a thought, that she may have choked on something she ate in her room, as the tale changed after that.

My Steam review

What a wonderfully melancholic game about family, memories, surrealism, child-like imagination, weird tales, unfortunate accidents, misfortune, and the drudgery of life. Was not expecting the late-game plot twists, which left me heartbroken and tearing up. I shouted out loud when the
Halloween theme
music played OMG.

One of my GOTYs already, and it's been a strong year for adventure games (Night In The Woods, Blackwood Crossing, Paradigm, Thimbleweed Park). I had to talk to my family afterwards to appreciate them and be grateful for who we still have.

CloudWolf

Just finished it. What a great game. Wonderfully told and really sad. I also loved how original it felt, like the
scene with the imaginated world and the fish that kept coming in. That shit blew my mind.

JonnyKong

Well I've tried telling a couple of Facebook groups I'm in about this game, but the only responses I'm getting are basically "it's too expensive for a 2 hour long game"

*sigh*

I guess maybe it could have benefitted from being a bit cheaper as I fear a lot of people may ignore it at that price.

Reedirect

This is a fantastic game, just finished it.

A really beautiful story with so many intriguing scenarios that walking around the house just felt like a small adventure. Anyone who's scared that this a boring, derivative walking simulator in style of Gone Home or Dear Esther, it is not.

Also loved one particular detail. How gaming developers want players to look up, Giant Sparrow wants you to
look down ;) Had an honest "wow" moment when I figured out she was pregnant before the game tells you.

Some questions regarding the vignettes -->
Is it possible to miss any? I don't remember Sven or Edith's father having one, and there were some locked doors in the house. Both of these don't seem to be the Finch family, however (at least in Edith's journal), so maybe they don't have a playable story?

JonnyKong

Some questions regarding the vignettes -->
Is it possible to miss any? I don't remember Sven or Edith's father having one, and there were some locked doors in the house. Both of these don't seem to be the Finch family, however (at least in Edith's journal), so maybe they don't have a playable story?

I don't think Sven and Sanjay had any so don't worry, you haven't missed anything.

Anyway, I think this has gone into my number 2 slot in my goty list, pushing Night in the Woods to number 3.

I'll have to investigate this Blackwood Crossing.

Melchiah

Well I've tried telling a couple of Facebook groups I'm in about this game, but the only responses I'm getting are basically "it's too expensive for a 2 hour long game"

*sigh*

I guess maybe it could have benefitted from being a bit cheaper as I fear a lot of people may ignore it at that price.

Yet people have no problem with paying the same for two hours of entertainment when they go to movies.

Majora

Just finished this in one sitting and thought it was really fantastic. Deserves a lot more attention than it seems to be getting but hopefully good word of mouth will carry it. It's probably my favourite interactive experience/walking simulator/whatever the hell you want to call it. Just endlessly creative and surprising, and a significant step up from The Unfinished Swan.

JonnyKong

Yet people have no problem with paying the same for two hours of entertainment when they go to movies.

I don't know what kind of crazy cinema you go to, but a ticket at my local is £8, not £16 like this game costs.

It was worth every penny for me anyway, especially for the Barbara sequence alone.

Sturtiebe

Fantastic Story WOW Just WOW

Ending spoiler

Only the ending how she died and how was that guy?

This game is unique ! Every gamer must play this game! Everyone will love it :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My Steam review

What a wonderfully melancholic game about family, memories, surrealism, child-like imagination, weird tales, unfortunate accidents, misfortune, and the drudgery of life. Was not expecting the late-game plot twists, which left me heartbroken and tearing up. I shouted out loud when the
Halloween theme
music played OMG.

One of my GOTYs already, and it's been a strong year for adventure games (Night In The Woods, Blackwood Crossing, Paradigm, Thimbleweed Park). I had to talk to my family afterwards to appreciate them and be grateful for who we still have.

It's been on my radar since it was announced, but your glowing tweets and review have made the little extra time I have to wait before picking it up unbearable!

BraXzy

Very happy to see positive impressions in here, I had my eye on this the second it was announced after playing their last game not all too long ago.

I'm being good and waiting till I'm actually ready to play it without games on the go before I pick it up but now I can't wait :)

It's a short and sweet game right?

Ridley327

Well, this was magical. The format lends itself really well to a lot of variety, but I was still blown away by how varied and surreal that the stories could get. It also didn't hurt that the references that this game made were among the best I think the medium is ever going to produce without feeling like its trying too hard to be a nostalgia bomb.

Late game story spoiler:
I could not have been more excited about what was going to transpire as soon as I looked into Milton's peephole, but I still couldn't believe just how inundated his room and story was in The Unfinished Swan. If only Edith would have known that one of them made it out OK in the end.

I took it as her dying during childbirth.

Ridley327

That's how I took it, too.
All the blackouts happening as she's flashing back to the events that led her to leaving the house and caring for Dawn as she's dying herself seemed to imply that the pregnancy wasn't going well for her. Definitely a bittersweet ending, but it really did feel like that she had the courage to accept her fate that otherwise came too suddenly for everyone else in her family.

commissar

Played through it last night, was very good, keeping me hooked to the end.

For anyone else starting on PC, I feel like it would play better with a controller if you have one. Some of the motion would be a little smoother, making less aesthetically jarring movements - particularly with the
kite

That said, it works perfectly fine with KBM, so don't be deterred if you don't have a controller.

edit: regarding price/length - its about the same $ (or less), than buying a film on itunes or bluray - so to me it seems a fair price for an engaging experience. I loved it and have no regrets.

Echoing everyone else: This game is a fantastic experience. It may be short, but its packed with unique moments and feelings you will not find in any other game. That alone makes it worth it for early adopters who can afford it. And if your budget is tight, keep it in mind, as its a future rainy day classic.

Just finished the game and wow what a game.I had some tears rolling down my face during the ending. I think this game has surpassed Gone Home and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as my new favorite walking adventure game.

Did anyone else catch Neil Druckman's name during the credits as a playtester? I wonder if it's Naughty Dog Neil.

My Steam review

Halloween theme
music played OMG.

I did the same thing regarding your spoiler, that was a nice unexpected moment :) Well put review; each story had an interesting blend of fantastical and pit in your stomach moments, it was tough to expect what was coming next.

Great game and recommended for those on the fence.

Wozman23

Did anyone else catch Neil Druckman's name during the credits as a playtester? I wonder if it's Naughty Dog Neil.

I'm assuming they were all developers seeing as how I recognized: Seth Killian, Ricky Haggett and Dick Hogg (Hohokum), and Chris Remo (Double Fine, Campo Santo), and upon research a lot of the others came from a bunch of others walking sims.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Holy crap.

2017 has ZERO chill.

Breath of the Wild, Persona 5, Nier and now another favorite for me is What remains of Edith Finch.

What a wonderful yet short game. I look forward to what Giant Sparrow does next.

Next stop Little Nightmares.

I am CONVINCED this is the prequel to the Unfinished Swan. Milton ran away, and had Walter and kickstarted the whole game

I wish this game was twice as long! I just don't feel like I can justify nearly $30 CDN for a 2-hour game. Will wait until it's $10-$15.

Fantastic Story WOW Just WOW

Ending spoiler

Only the ending how she died and how was that guy?

That's how I took it, too.
All the blackouts happening as she's flashing back to the events that led her to leaving the house and caring for Dawn as she's dying herself seemed to imply that the pregnancy wasn't going well for her. Definitely a bittersweet ending, but it really did feel like that she had the courage to accept her fate that otherwise came too suddenly for everyone else in her family.

About the ending (Spoilers obviously)

Edith knew that she didn't have long to live, and her dialogue at the end seemed to take place inside of a vein/artery (with lots of heart-pumping sound effects) so I'm guessing she had a heart disease. The game is essentially her letter to her unborn child, telling him about his family, and after writing it all down she lived long enough to have the baby but not much longer.

The boy at the end is her son.

commissar

About the ending (Spoilers obviously)

Edith knew that she didn't have long to live, and her dialogue at the end seemed to take place inside of a vein/artery (with lots of heart-pumping sound effects) so I'm guessing she had a heart disease. The game is essentially her letter to her unborn child, telling him about his family, and after writing it all down she lived long enough to have the baby but not much longer.

The boy at the end is her son.
That's the perspective of her son as he is being born

Unison

Finished the game... It was both subtle and artful in its way, but at the same time underwhelming and a bit of a rip off for $20. It took me something like 100 minutes?

Gone Home is the obvious predecessor and that had more impact on me.

dinoroar

Banned
Went halves on this with a friend, played about an hour and a bit with my girlfriend last night. Doesn't feel like we're all that far in,
just opened the door to the basement
, but I'm just loving this game. I guess that people who use the term 'walking simulator' would be nowhere near the same page as me, but the atmosphere and the writing are wonderful.

My partner doesn't play games much, last things she enjoyed with me were Inside and Oxenfree. This is her favourite thing she's seen so far.

This inclusive part of the Lewis story was very cool.

what_remains_of_edith_finch_bisexual_lgbt_by_digi_matrix-db75zsn.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Giant Sparrow got back to me this morning. A patch should be coming to address the maximum resolution issue in the PC version:

Hi, Jason.

We're discussing a patch now and should have more to announce soon. The game supports up to 4k resolution, but it looks like some folks don't see those options in their settings menu, so we're considering the best way to fix that now.

Thanks!
--ian

Top Bottom