• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What someone in VR looks like when legit SHOOK.

Lol at people thinking is fake.
Nothing can't tell you at the end of the day if she really faking it or no, but as someone who has played the Vive, and have seen lots of people playing when I was in the queue (more than queue, you were seated at a movie theater while people tried the game in front of the big screen), and those reaction are totally legitamate.

And im talking about the fucking Portal demo, that is not even a horror game, but the part of the floor falling, and Glados appearing, the people reacted as if they were in peril in real life, me included (with Glados I was more surprised about her size, but witht he falling floor I was legtimately scared).

Metal B

The Brookhaven Experiments is actually a good example for a good horror game in general. I hate Jump Scares in every kind of media. There are not scary, they're just a loud noise, and i'm only afraid to getting scream in my ear. There also unfair, since they can happen everywhere, kill all the tension of the rest of a scene and just not fun (at least if you enjoy something for yourself, with other people you can at least laugh about it. Scaring is also an great bounding tool of the human brain. That's why seeing a horror movie on a date, increases the chances of getting together.)

The Brookhaven Experiments is better, simply because its "jump scares" are fair and natural. You're given rules and a fair chance to spot the threads. So if you fail to notice a creature sneaking up on you and catch you by surprise, the literally jump scare is earned by the game, i can only blame myself and it's a fun "reward" for failing.
Since VR makes every more extreme, i don't wanna play "jump scare" horror, and more fair horror games (like any good game should be fair).

If you think she's faking you clearly either don't understand VR, don't understand people, don't understand acting or some combination of the above.

Some people see a T. Rex walking towards them in VR and simply look at it. Some people duck out of the way. Some people scream and instantly bail out. None of them is faking anything.

Yep.

Showed my wife, mother and Aunt the same VR roller coaster video.

Wife was all enjoying herself, swaying and looking around like she was in a roller coaster.

Mother was a little shook and disorientated, probably because she was standing. Not a bad experience though.

Aunt lasted about ten seconds. Once she saw the roller coaster move off and begin its first slow ascent, she ripped off the headset because the vertigo was absolutely real to her.

dity

lmao what?

If you haven't tried roomscale VR with the Vive, you have literally no idea what you're talking about. Whats so hard to understand about that

I have a pretty damn good idea here and guess what: I don't believe she's as scared as she was letting on. That's that. Is it really that hard to accept that that's how I feel?

I mean this doesn't even look to use any fancy Vive-only features bar for the unique controller.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you think she's faking you clearly either don't understand VR, don't understand people, don't understand acting or some combination of the above.

Some people see a T. Rex walking towards them in VR and simply look at it. Some people duck out of the way. Some people scream and instantly bail out. None of them is faking anything.

This. My girlfriend freaked out in the first demo from TheBlu because she had no socks or slippers/shoes on and she got scared that the fishes and the jellyfishes will touch her feet. Although you don't see your feet in the demo. Put the brain was processing what she saw as real and clicked with her fears.

Nzyme32

2sD5aPK.gif

I can guarantee you that you are wrong.

This is the wonderful thing about VR. By operating at the same level as how your brain perceives reality, you get all the same involuntary reflexes, fears and emotions. If you are scared of heights for example - you will feel vertigo, you will shake, tremble, sweat, feel fear and anxiety. In scary games in the dark, those people will feel fear, fight or flight responses and even tremble uncontrollably with the sheer anxiety of the situation they face.

I've seen people scared in VR, and I myself have had a similar experience. It is absolutely real and palpable. The experiences are intense and intoxicating all at once. This is the point of VR - a literal virtual reality - and why it is different to the experience of a normal game or simply watching a video of someone in that situation.

Fret

I have a pretty damn good idea here and guess what: I don't believe she's as scared as she was letting on. That's that. Is it really that hard to accept that that's how I feel?

you have a pretty good damn idea? but you've never tried the Vive before.... so....

I mean this doesn't even look to use any fancy Vive-only features bar for the unique controller.

well... from this sentence its now really obvious that you don't understand the fundamentals of what you're talking about.

dity

you have a pretty good damn idea? but you've never tried the Vive before.... so....

well... from this sentence its now really obvious that you don't understand the fundamentals of what you're talking about.

All this just because I didn't go "aw wew so scurry haha :D"

She's spinning in a circle with a headset and headphones shooting at crappy looking 3D models. I've done that crap in VR already. I don't think that crap is all that scary. WHy do you care so much? I'm not bloody denying your purchase. I'm not pointing at the Vive you've had for a week and saying "YOU WASTED YOUR MONEY". Just deal. You go have fun with your Vive. I'll sit here and think she wasn't as scared as she's making herself look. You still have your Vive. It's all ok.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

She's spinning in a circle with a headset and headphones shooting at crappy looking 3D models. I've done that crap in VR already. I don't think that crap is all that scary. WHy do you care so much? I'm not bloody denying your purchase. I'm not pointing at the Vive you've had for a week and saying "YOU WASTED YOUR MONEY". Just deal. You go have fun with your Vive. I'll sit here and think she wasn't as scared as she's making herself look. You still have your Vive. It's all ok.

Or you just accept that you don't understand the feeling because you haven't experienced it and you can't really imagine it (BTW this is the reaction for most of the people trying Vive for the first time, it's beyond what your brain can imagine even for people who tried the seated VR before).

PulseONE

Someday, my tombstone will say "Death by Horror VR"

What if the lady isn't a gamer and this is her first time experiencing something like this? I mean I've seen people scream and freak out in a movie theater, so the idea that someone might for this isn't so far fetched

tuxfool

Banned

Given the vast numbers of reactions I've seen people have had even with the most basic of VR demos, I can totally believe some people would be scared by something this rudimentary.

Some people can't even handle bad scary movies, let alone putting you in VR.

JimiNutz

Banned
I wonder is putting yourself through scary/tense VR like this will actually have any carry over into real life?
Like will you learn to be calm under pressure in real life?

dity

Or you just accept that you don't understand the feeling because you haven't experienced it and you can't really imagine it (BTW this is the reaction for most of the people trying Vive for the first time, it's beyond what your brain can imagine even for people who tried the seated VR before).

Does it really matter? Why do you people get so ansy and get all new-agey about it? I don't think it's scary. Someone other dude in the thread who's played it didn't think it was scary. Maybe I'm just a person like him.

What if the lady isn't a gamer and this is her first time experiencing something like this? I mean I've seen people scream and freak out in a movie theater, so the idea that someone might for this isn't so far fetched

Given the vast numbers of reactions I've seen people have had even with the most basic of VR demos, I can totally believe some people would be scared by something this rudimentary.

Some people can't even handle bad scary movies, let alone putting you in VR.

She's in 6 of the 7 VR videos on the channel. She isn't being, like, pranked into this or anything or being shoved into it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does it really matter? Why do you people get so ansy and get all new-agey about it? I don't think it's scary. Someone other dude in the thread who's played it didn't think it was scary. Maybe I'm just a person like him.

The point is not that it's not scary for you. That's fine. People get scared by different things, as it was already discussed in this thread. The point is that you think it's fake based on reaction. Me and others have our reactions and the reaction of people we saw trying it to confirm that a reaction even like that is very possible. And that it does seem exaggerated before trying it or seeing it first hand.

Also, may I ask you what VR HMD have you tried and what game when you talk about this:

She's spinning in a circle with a headset and headphones shooting at crappy looking 3D models. I've done that crap in VR already.

Tadie

Damn, no VR horror games for me.....

I still pee in my pants when this little girl runs at me :/

latest

Hope the devs treat this aspect carefully in other games.

dity

The point is not that it's not scary for you. That's fine. People get scared by different things, as it was already discussed in this thread. The point is that you think it's fake based on reaction. Me and others have our reactions and the reaction of people we saw trying it to confirm that a reaction even like that is very possible. And that it does seem exaggerated before trying it or seeing it first hand.

Also, may I ask you what VR HMD have you tried and what game when you talk about this:

If you look at the channel's other videos they really, really talk up the "she's very scared" point. The descriptions really try hard to sell the "she's not in a game, she's so scared" atmosphere.

And uh, why? I don't want to get into stupid console wars type stuff. Cos that's the vibe I get.

PulseONE

He didn't claim that because he's not scared that means that anyone who is must be faking it

She's in 6 of the 7 VR videos on the channel. She isn't being, like, pranked into this or anything or being shoved into it.

She's in 4 videos on the channel, 3 of which were a stealth/puzzle type game, not a horror game.

Fret

If you look at the channel's other videos they really, really talk up the "she's very scared" point. The descriptions really try hard to sell the "she's not in a game, she's so scared" atmosphere.

And uh, why? I don't want to get into stupid console wars type stuff. Cos that's the vibe I get.

what?

just answer the question, what VR HMDs have you used before? what games? you're talking big but not showing much.

you..... you... you've never played this game before. how do you know its not scary?

i dont understand

i dont

someone please help

Some people get more scared of things than others do... "She's faking! How could she be shaking so much! I played it and I was fine!"

I know people who react like that to cheesy horror movies, mid-day, with the lights on.

If I put them in a VR with this they'd have a heart attack.

Some people aren't built for horror shit.

But goddamn would I love to try it. VR Outlast would be the death of me but it'd be sooo fun.

dity

She's in 4 videos on the channel, 3 of which were a stealth/puzzle type game, not a horror game.

Karl is in 1 video as the feature, Renate is in the other 6. She's in every Budget Cuts video, and one of the Brrokhaven videos. From the description of the 2nd stealth game video: "this time actually trying to take down a robot. But when your hands are shaking it's hard to throw a knife. She's not playing a game, she's actually there, fearing for her life. Third video: "She's actually getting a kill this time around, but still as freaked out as ever. Will any other bots find the body?" So... yeah.

He didn't claim that because he's not scared that means that anyone who is must be faking it

And I don't believe her that much.

You get a vibe of console wars? That could explain it then.
Ok? PM me if you want to talk about it.

shandy706

Nah. You don't feel claustraphobic unless the room in VR is small. You can be in a VR scene that appears to stretch miles into the horizon. Nothing but sky above you when you look up and mountains behind you. I would expect the opposite to happen: the claustraphobic would find a relief in VR that they can't always have IRL.

Oh no, I didn't mean that...I was just referring to the dark enclosed space with Zombies coming at you.

A big open beach with the ocean going into the distance and waves slowly beating against it would relax her a ton.

Sjefen

The guy is saying at 2.36: "We are actually getting neighbor complaints......go to the bathroom before you continue playing.....it sounded like someone was being murdered in here and I will not be surprised if the neighbor come knocking. "
Renate: "NONONO I cant continue playing"

523515.gif

There is research into using VR to do the opposite and try and help people cope better with their phobias so it seems very likely that the inverse could be true.

Also memory is so broken. There was an experiment where they managed to convince people that they had been on a hot air balloon and the subjects started 'remembering' details of an event that had never even happened. link
Exposure therapy works sure, and VR can be pretty good with that as you can simulate tough situations with far less effort than you'd need in real life.

But the important thing in exposure therapy is that it's generally done in relatively small doses, and it's done for an existing trauma. The worst stuff isn't thrown at you right away and it's not thrown in a big dose.

But to experience something like that suddenly.. I think it's entirely possible that over time it could cause some real damage to some people who aren't prepared for it.

For the record, I'm not dissing VR because of that. I think it's cool and has tons of possibilities. I just think people should be careful with it to an extent, or at least when having children try it. Most adults probably realize their limits on their own of course.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok? PM me if you want to talk about it.

I can talk about it publicly, as it can be seen. You seem to have an issue with speaking about what have you tried for whatever reason. You're the one talking about the console wars not only in this thread, but also in the sticky thread. Why are you afraid of, I don't get it? This is a moderated forum, if one of us will behaves badly (s)he will be banned. Are you afraid that we will say "Vive is more immersive than what you have tried"? We will, because it is true, it is stated by almost everybody who tried multiple HMDs. It's not even about the room-scale, it's about the fact that tracking the hands 1 to 1 adds a whole new layer of immersion to the experience.

And again, I saw it happening to the people who tried it. Not with this game. But everybody freaks out about something. Most of them not even in horror games. Not in the same way, not to the same game or experience, but it will inevitably happen at some point.

dity

I can talk about it publicly, as it can be seen. You seem to have an issue with speaking about what have you tried for whatever reason. You're the one talking about the console wars not only in this thread, but also in the sticky thread. Why are you afraid of, I don't get it? This is a moderated forum, if one of us will behaves badly (s)he will be banned. Are you afraid that we will say "Vive is more immersive than what you have tried"? We will, because it is true, it is stated by almost everybody who tried multiple HMDs. It's not even about the room-scale, it's about the fact that tracking the hands 1 to 1 adds a whole new layer of immersion to the experience.

And again, I saw it happening to the people who tried it. Not with this game. But everybody freaks out about something. Most of them not even in horror games. Not in the same way, not to the same game or experience, but it will inevitably happen at some point.

Yeah, you see, console wars stuff. I'm not game. Never have for any video game stuff. I'm out.

Jims

Funny stuff. Really highlights the how immersive VR can be, huh?

This thing is going to be slapped with all sorts of legal warnings about high blood pressure and heart attacks and stuff.

jaypah

Yup. This is the truth. My wife was able to (barely) make it through one of the scenarios of Affected. I couldn't make it through at first though. Even inching my way through that hospital I still couldn't do it. Tried the Manor scenario and I had the same reaction, noped out and ripped the DK2 off. I eventually (after several beers) made my way through the Carnival scenario and it was still almost too intense for me. Horror in VR is terrifying and that was just with a DK2! I absolutely believe that she was freaked the fuck out because I have been freaked the fuck out. VR is pretty powerful lol

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah, you see, console wars stuff. I'm not game. Never have for any video game stuff. I'm out.

You're in a thread discussing about an experience in another HMD while negating it in many posts, discussing about justifying the price of that HMD, dismissing any first hand impressions, refusing to discuss with arguments, opening the discussion about console wars, but you're not game. Right.

Watevaman

I know I don't want her on my team if there's a zombie apocalypse. It'd be super cool if these horror games in VR took advantage of mics and could use your voice/screams to push enemies towards you.

I can't wait for this stuff to be affordable. While I'll be getting it for sim racing, it'd be fun to try out horror games as well.

PulseONE

Talking about VR as a platform = console wars?

Okay...

The floating gun absolutely kills the immersion.

Animating the rest of the arm might be a little odd since it might not correspond with the way your ACTUAL arm is moving, which can be a bit offputting in VR, that's why most use floating hands or some equivalent

Forgive my "she put it on for the camera" scepticism.

You were all hurr hurr never tried VR and when that fell through you got all specific. I have tried a bunch of trippy VR shit and reckon she's putting it on. You know what you should do? Not care. Done VR on more than one occasion and I'm not convinced. There.

Is this the default assumption if someone doesn't hold the same opinion about something VR related as everyone else in awe?

dity, you're the only person in this thread this adamant that it's fake, constantly doubling down that this woman is acting up. What you got against this woman? lol Does she need to write you a personal handnote that this wasn't fake?

I even asked them on your behalf, here you go:
IeVTKwh.png

Here's other videos of people trying the Brookhaven Experiment with HTC Vive and freaking out similarly. Are they all fake, too? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJgKxxkvpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kasSADRTyaU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V2OqAOfhcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27MUcNL-R8Y&t=1m08s

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I tried Vive style VR for the first time last night and I have to say I was blown away. Room scale is great and even with my first go I was already managing the cable without much thought.

I think if you want to be very careful you should buy some type of cheap rug that you can roll up and store in a closet and use it to outline your play space. Also you should play in socks or shorts so you can feel the cord more.

That said, I was playing in blue jeans and shoes and moving all over the place in Space Pirate Trainer so, yeah, cord isn't that big of a deal.

I got freaked out in Budget Cuts by a wall of all things. A teleported to close to it and my heart leapt because my brain THOUGHT i was about to collide with something. Crazy.

Will this game be available for Oculus as well using a controller? I really hope so as I need to play it.

I would certainly expect so. No reason not to port it. These developers all need to be about maximizing their $$$ which should mean everything available to both major headsets, minimum. I'd expect a PSVR port as well if the roomscale support is sufficient on it.

Lol at people thinking is fake.

Pretty surprised anyone thinks this is fake. I guess they need a few more examples:

So here's this guy's first run in Brookhaven - https://youtu.be/prcwH2A4uhE?t=914 (start @ 15:30 or so)

hp3KGkJ.png

^ Yep, that's a grown ass man, shaking and sweating hard. Closing his eyes because the zombies are jumping on his ass unexpectedly.

Or this guy's girlfriend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIf2oceP2IY

It wasn't even her first time and she still panics the hell out. If the guy wasn't there talking to her and breaking her immersion, I'm sure people can imagine how much more anxious and panicked she would have been.

And here are IGN staffers playing Paranormal Activity in VR - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsna1ChGt0E

xIdmWbj.png

^ Yep, it left this woman in a fetal position. Most of the staffers had a similar reaction. Real fear, ladies and gentlemen.

Hell, I admit I've jumped a few times playing Holopoint. Having the warriors walk up behind you without you noticing can momentarily freak you the fuck out when you turn around and they're about to thrust a sword in your chest.

The doubters will understand one day when they try it for themselves.

Top Bottom