• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Zackat

First it was Spore when I was younger. After that I said no more game hype for me. Then I got hyped for Destiny.

I've gotten really hyped for loads of game releases, but the one that really sticks out in my mind is Conker's Bad Fur Day. I was a big fan of Rare as a kid and Conker was always one of my favorite characters in Diddy Kong Racing. The fact that he was going to be in an M rated platformer with crude humor was ridiculously appealing to me. Sadly my parents didn't let me play the game until the Xbox version came out (which I was also crazy hyped for), but I did love the game when I finally got it. I managed to pick up a used copy of the N64 version a year or two later and it held up surprisingly well. That multiplayer was really fun even against bots.

I'm not sure how it would hold up for me nowadays but I'll never forget that experience regardless.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Dark Souls hands down. That game was kind of a miracle for being made and all the stuff people typically get excited for with souls games wasn't established yet. The reason everyone was hype as fuck was simply because it was a hard dark fantasy game with what turned out to be very refreshing combat system. Also those first few trailers were really dope.

Caramello

Super Mario Galaxy for me. Such a long time between Sunshine and Galaxy, a brilliant concept, on Nintendo's revolutionary new Wii system. It all culminated into a level of hype that will be hard to match in the future.

Porcile

Star Fox Adventures.

I loved Rare, I loved Star Fox and I loved the Gamecube. It was rubbish. I remember reading the NGC review (72%) and being completely shocked. The issue had the same revelation that Rare was leaving Nintendo for Microsoft. It was a confusing and dark time for me. I still miss Rare on Nintendo systems and I still have regrets about Star Fox Adventures.

Rain World.

Been following it for four years. I first learned about it around the same time I was first getting into PC gaming and indie games, so it's pretty much the poster child of indie games and indie development for me, the gold standard for indie developer/fan transparency.

It's my most anticipated game, AAA or indie. The devs joke that I'm the person who know the most about the game after them

Phantom Pain hype was beyond belief, and I have great memories of all the speculation, non stop trailer watching, and general happiness that it existed.

Persona 5 has now clearly went beyond that by 5.

PERSONA FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE MAN

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Final Fantasy VII. I was so hyped for that game that I made an early internet fan site. I was obsessed with it, and I had no idea it would be this breakout phenomenon at the time.

Honorable Mentions:
-Final Fantasy VIII
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Final Fantasy XV

san00ake

Sonic Generations by far. Went to a bunch of events, bought imported copies, got them signed, first game I've ever platinum'd.

balohna

Twilight Princess.

By the time I got my hands on a Wii, I wasn't even that hyped anymore. And then it was one of my least favourite 3D Zeldas in the end.

Dabi

Hmm.

It's a toss up between No Man's Sky, Assassin's Creed III and LittleBigPlanet. I've probably watched all the trailers and demos a million times each. LBP was the only one that surpassed my expectations though.

Tyaren

FFXV unfortunately... :/ Unfortunately because it didn't live up to my high expectations in the end. Man, I was so obsessed with it for years.
Second highest must have been the OG Xenoblade Chronicles. It totally lived up to the hype. Imo the best JRPG ever.

That's tough. Most of mine were from the ps2 and GCN era.

SSX (PS2 launch)
MGS2
FFX
Gran turismo 3: A-spec
Burnout 3: Takedown
Dragon ball z: Budokai 3
REmake
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
Zelda wind waker
MGS4
FFXIII (yuck)

Out of all those, it's probably a theee way tie between gt3, MGS2 and FFX.

Rozart

SoTC is my top 3 favourite games of all time. So my hype for TLG was huge.

tumblr_oiadekACOm1rpd9dfo4_500.gif

I had big, big expectations and two hours into the game, I honestly thought that it'll end up disappointing me. But when the game picks up, it picks up, And I'm glad that it lived up to its hype. It's a game that will stick with me for many, many more years to come. The story is sincere, moving and insidiously dark-- told without the heavy use of spoken words or codex-ed exposition. And I adore Trico. The ending still makes me go all teary-eyed even now, months later after I've completed the game.

TLG's 'hype cycle' was a strange one for me because the game was in limbo was for the longest time. But I never really stopped believing that the game still existed. (E3 2015. Bless ) Conversely, my hype for FFVXIII/FFXV was huge too but it had dwindled away by the time 2016 came around. I still ended up enjoying the game though and thought that it was a cute turn of fate that these two highly anticipated games that were announced around the same time, nearly a decade ago, came out at around the same time too. And ended up clinching the same metacritic score as well.

I think the only other game that has managed to maintain its hype despite the arduously wait for the game is Persona 5. And this was made worse when it was released in Japan last year. And here I am still waiting for the western release. Two. More. Weeks.

It was probably versus XIII.

I don't remember exactly when it was Nomura got kicked off but then was when I realised KH3 would have to be the "chosen one"

BiggNife

Brawl, probably.

I remember following Smash Bros Dojo religiously and soaking up every little microcosm of information. When Sonic was finally announced I genuinely can't remember ever getting that estatic over a video game announcement.

There was basically no way it could live up to the amount of hype I had for it. I still enjoyed it (and to this day I think it got more shit than it deserved), but since then I've made an effort to not get wrapped up in hype cycles.

b3b0p

Probably Zelda or Mario 3 on NES. Otherwise everything and anything on SNES. Mario 64 was a big one too for me as a kid. Not been super hyped like that since. Now a days I just play the NES and SNES games I missed or never finished.

Dubz

SFIV was insane for me. I can not remember any game that got me so hype. Delivered on all the hype too.

Randy Savage

Neo Member
MGS 2.

I actually bought Zone of the Enders for the Metal Gear demo disc. To discover that all the Pal demo's were broken, so I never played the demo, lol

Halo ODST by virtue of it being a pretty exciting concept that came out when I was just at the age to still be completely consumed by excitement over something. I read every Bungie Weekly Update, posted on the forums every day, looked for any news or artwork I could find. I think I carried the Game Informer with ODST on the cover around with me in my backpack. The whole thing was before my parents split up so my mom and dad were both pretty excited along with me. We all went out to get the game at midnight, stopped by McDonalds for snacks, and I got to stay home from school and play through it with my dad.

Probably my best gaming related memory.

emag

Chrono Cross

2376_front.jpg

So hyped by the concept, the music, the trailer... got the pre-order bonuses, too. But then I played through it.

I've never forgiven Square for defiling Chrono Trigger like that.

SFIV was insane for me. I can not remember any game that got me so hype. Delivered on all the hype too.

I didn't believe that SFIV would be any good, ever since the first teasers, but it was amazing and I was wrong.

I was a crazy wrestling fan during the "Attitude era" so it was WWF Warzone for N64 around 1998. My god it sucked.

Luckily AKI got the WWF license a couple of years later and we got the fantastic Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy. Still the best wrestling games ever made by far.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII, ever since its reveal when I was 10.

It's really childish, but I was incredibly upset when I finally played XV. It was like all my hopes for the game finally being stamped out with finality. My expectations had lowered drastically over the course of XV's promotion, since I really didn't like what I saw, but I suppose I had held out some on that childish hope since it still affected me to a surprising degree.

I was really, genuinely depressed and angry at playing the game. I guess it's hard to just get over something that's been building up in your head for half of your life.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Smash Bros Brawl for sure. I don't think I could be that excited for a game again if I wanted to. I had discovered the Melee tournament scene but it was so hard and Brawl was coming so I thought that was the perfect time to jump in.

It's the only game I've ever gotten at a midnight release. And even on that first night it felt "wrong," but I didn't care. Unlocked all the characters, attempted the lagfest that was playing online briefly, participated in the discovery of various tech skill like "Snakedashing" which would eventually become DACUS.

But it never stopped feeling wrong to me. I lost interest within a couple months of release, which never happened with Melee even playing casually. Got it with my Gamecube for Christmas in 2001 and regularly played it all the way until Brawl's release. With Melee basically being replaced I essentially got out of Smash as a whole for a long time. And that is one of my biggest regrets because look at Melee now :(

Persona 5 hands down. I've been waiting for Persona 5 since I've beaten Persona 4 back on my PS2 when it first came out.

There have been quite a few JRPG'S that I've been so incredibly hype for in the past but none comes close to my pain stakenly wait for Persona 5.

New Pokémon games tends to come close to my hype for Persona 5 but it's just one notch below it.

swimbuff

Do expansions count? If so, it's Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal for me. BG2 SoA is such a masterpiece of RPG gameplay and storytelling, all I wanted was to spend more time in that world.

I loved that you feel exactly as powerful as a super high level D&D character would, which is basically like God.

Historically, probably FF8.

While I was super excited about FF7, the wait for 8 was worse. FF7 had reignited my love of consoles and JRPGs, and I remember being so excited about the follow up that I read GameFAQs walkthroughs of the Japanese version, imported the OST, and downloaded some really shitty copies of all the cutscenes in advance.

In modern times, FF15, largely because of the long wait and FF being my favorite series.

I wasn't disappointed in either case.

Smash Bros. Brawl and SSB4's hype cycles made me feel like a kid in a candy store. As pumped as I've been for other things, nothing ever came close to the sheer rollercoasters of insanity, dreams fulfilled beyond my wildest expectations, and dreams shattered that those games brought me through. Waking up at 5am to check the Dojo and the Pic of the Day and cherishing every single new reveal trailer to obsess over and speculate about with other people, it seriously became a ritual. Sonic, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta's reveals especially were all-time "HOLY SHIT" moments that are still insane to me. The sheer blue balls elicited by that infamous "YOU MUST RECOVER" update is something that you absolutely had to have been there to experience the madness. Just magical times, and perfectly epitomized the pure joy and wonder that games can bring out of us.

Top Bottom