• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your most hyped game of all time?

Metal Gear Solid 2.

The trailer assured me that i'd be buying a ps2 as fast a possible. I drooled over every preview, every trailer, etc and so forth.

Nothing since has come close.

SirNinja

Skyrim.

And it delivered. Still play it every now and again. Still finding stuff I've never seen before. And of course: still modding it till it breaks.

Phantasy Star Universe

Ended up putting about 750+ hours into it by the time the servers shut down to make way for PSO2.
Also can add 150+ hours for PSPo1 and 2, and about 250 hours into PSPo2i.
PSU series basically ate up most gaming time that wasn't preoccupied by FFXI.

SheHateMe

GTA: Vice City.

The hype was REAL. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, and it honestly did not disappoint. Completely blew me out the water.

The only other game that has even come close to that hype was Destiny, and eventually, it got close to the hype.

But Vice City, man... The hype was too damn strong.

GamerJM

Banned
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I still get hyped for games, but I don't think that can ever happen again. I was just the right age (the entire hype cycle took place over the course of middle school for me), and it was just in that period of the internet where people weren't quite cynical about everything yet. Though the rollout for that game is still unmatched to this day, and that's something that could definitely be recreated. The Sakurai blog and the way it was handled were all genius. I'd wake up every morning and check that. There were so many crazy discussions people had, and every day I had no idea what I was going to expect.

As for how I feel about Brawl itself, at release it completely met expectations and I was pretty blown away. All the content, characters, SSE was basically fan service perfected. I never put time into it like I did Melee past the initial first couple months (though I played it A LOT then) since once I got into high school my buddies I spent all that countless time playing SSBM with either had busier lives (though we still found time to play once every couple months) or just didn't really fuck with Nintendo anymore.Then I downloaded Project M in like 2012 and I don't think I touched vanilla Brawl for some time after that.

In 2014 I got into the Melee competitive scene, I went back and played Brawl just once at some point a few months afterwards and it was.....crushing. All of those flaws everyone had talked about online were suddenly immediately apparent to me. It's a slow, clunky game with movement that just feels wrong. The balance is awful to anyone who bothers to spend a minute looking up information about chaingrabs or any of the crazy shit Meta Knight can do. Even though I was just a casual back then, I don't know how the degree to which the movement just feels WRONG didn't ever occur to me. I still stand by it being an amazing piece of Nintendo fan service, and I still think SSE and the single-player content are cool, but just as a pure game I'd rather play every other Smash game.

MGS2 will forever hold the title. It was the first game I ever bought day one. I also skipped school that day. I still have every piece of media showcased from reveal to release. From Next Gen, Egm, Gamepro and PSM (along with the demo disk that had the trailer) articles to the Zone of Enders Demo that I bought before I even had a PS2.

halo4_boxart.jpg

The return of mainline Halo, after half a decade of that teaser at the end of Halo 3? My hype was unreal.

Randomizer

Probably The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Resident Evil 4. All three turned out to be phenomenal games but Resi 4 is in my Top 3 of all time.

On the opposite end, the game I had a barely any or no hype for that exceeded my expectations was easily MGS3. Never mind exceed my lukewarm response it obliterated it. The game was amazing and just like Resi 4 ended up one of my Top 3 of all time.

A Link Between Worlds.

It was the promise of a return to the zelda 3/4 format that got me super hyped. And it delivered, one of my favourite games ever.

MGS4. I just couldn't stop thinking about it ever since it was announced. What a disappointment that was. I could never get hyped up as much for a video game since and I never will.

With MGSV my feelings pre-release were pretty much "Oh, this is looking to be pretty neat actually." then as it came out, I never bought the game and I very likely never will.

Crixus

Tes: Oblivion. Morrowind had already been my second home for years, and those first magazine screenshots looked amazing back then.

Ikon

Super Mario 64, Half Life 2, Diablo 2 and Baldur's Gate 2.

All of these games pretty much lived up to the hype, even if I'm not as big of a fan of SM64 as I am of the other games.

Recently it's been Mass Effect Andromeda. I'm still in denial that it's out and not good. Didn't even pick it up yet and doubt until it's maybe $10. Like... how did this happen? Why? It seems impossible to me that this is real life.

Dragon Age Inquisition or Mass Effect Andromeda
I absolutely LOVE the DA & ME series, I came to them late so these were the first entries I had to wait for really.

Inquisition is my second favourite game of all time atm so the hype was justified
&It's a bit early to judge Andromeda but so far I really really like it

KonradLaw

URU: Ages Beyond Myst
The community knew about it for years before it was officially announced. The developers organized several brilliant metagames, where through websites people could get bits and pieced of info about it.
Riven remains my favorite game of all time and Myst is 3rd favorite. And URU promised what seemed like ideal game - "Myst without end".

In the end the project was massively scaled back. Ubisoft forced the developers to create singleplayer campaign quickly, the MMO element was limited and didn't get support it needed. I still loved playing it, but it never managed to realize the grand vision it promised back when it was still known to community as project Mudpie.

Do expansions count? Because Wrath of the Lich King (World of Warcraft's 2nd expansion) hit an all time high in terms of hype for me.

It totally lived up to it until the Argent Tournament.

Probably SSBB. At the time of release, I thought it was awesome and I still think it's a fun game to play, albeit I'd rather play the likes of Sm4sh or Project M these days. But, man, the build up with the Smash Dojo was just the absolute best. Don't think any other game will get me hyped like that ever again

Winner for me is Street Fighter 4

Others Receiving (fake mental) Votes
Bayonetta 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Virtua Fighter 3, Forza Horizon 2, MW2, Dishonored and Dishonored 2, SM 3D World, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed 3

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
My MGS2 hype was kinda surreal back in the days. Remember havig that one magazine with a preview of this game. Must have read this preview 100 times.

Skyrim is close though. Called a couple of shops nearby just to get a day of two earlier. And once I had it I think I played this game, and this game only, for 2-3 months. Totally delivered. Breaks my heart that Bethesda is taking so fucking long to make a new TES.

Creepy

TES:V
I debated and speculated about it for years.
Was a little bit disappointed when it was revealed as Skyrim, but I was there day 1 regardless.
And it disappointed so much that I no longer get hyped for anything.

Now If I'm interested in an upcoming game I ignore everything about it 'til I've played it.

Charamiwa

Banned
Oblivion. Morrowind was my favorite game, and I was saving up for a new PC at the time. I had the game before I had the PC, so I read the manual countless time, watched the intro video over and over on the internet...

It did not end well. I do not like that game at all.

kromeo

Probably Ocarina of time whan I was about 10, I remember following the very limited website for it and stuff in magazines for like a year. I stopped getting hyped for games as I got older so it will never be matched

Rad-

It was probably Guild Wars 2. I loved GW1 so much. GW2 wasn't a bad game but I was still massively disappointed by it in the end. Like PvP was much worse in GW2. Removing Hall of Heroes has to be one of the worst design decisions I have ever seen done in a video game.

Top Bottom