• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will Nintendo do at E3 2014?

213372bu

Banned
I don't think I've seen a single person in this thread say that. could be wrong though..

Hopefully to entirely skip the activity.

E3 is a paraphernalia of stupid proportions to waste develper's and gamer's time for no substantial reason, save for the benefit of the mass and speciality media.

A monumental waste of money, in the case of Nintendo even more serious, since they have been in the red for a lot of quarters.

Would prefere 2 big directs, one a month before the other athe following one.

It feels me with grief seen people invested in videogames supporting this monstrosity one way or the other.

You're talking up E3 as if it still has the sanctity it had two generations ago, it doesn't. Period. It is not the same. Casual consumers aren't checking in with their popcorn to see the exciting future of video games. They're receiving the into second hand.

You're right, Nintendo Directs and E3 are essentially the same but Directs lack the pageantry and shilling that naturally comes with E3. It's just games. The same core fans and press tune in as they would E3. No one looked at Nintendo's absence and thought, "why bother watching them outside of E3?" They just went to Nintendo's website.
But more directly...
E3 is not as important as you think it is and those devices would still be selling like they are now without it.

Edit:
again I think they are implying the press conference. that's how I've been taking all of those comments...

but I will tentatively stand corrected
It's fine dude, it's not exactly like I'm taking this overtly serious, lol. Just talking about gaming companies on the internet.

Village

E3 is not as important as you think it is and those devices would still be selling like they are now without it.

Someone told me the xbox one spies on you and then don't want it because of it, this person does not know what an e3 or a Microsoft press conference is.

information spreads

Who fucking knew.

Zephyrus

Banned
In my dreams they'll announce a new Wario Land, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Mario tennis with a rpg campaign like it had on the GBC, show Bravely Second gameplay ALL for the 3DS and out this year.

Unfortunately we'll get none of this.

Chindogg

In my dreams they'll announce a new Wario Land, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Mario tennis with a rpg campaign like it had on the GBC, show Bravely Second gameplay ALL for the 3DS and out this year.

Unfortunately we'll get none of this.

I wouldn't be so sure. Bravely Default and Fire Emblem sold way more than they anticipated and that could easily be ready for the next year.

Grizzo

All we know is that the Animal Crossing Wii U plaza closes at the end of 2014. Many people assume that's because a real AC Wii U game will exist by then.

Alright, thank you. I didn't know that, though I don't think this means anything. If Animal Crossing was coming to the Wii U, surely we would have heard something about it by now...

Animal Crossing U
Zeruda trailer
Metroid title(just the title), in development
Paper Mario U
Another Mario Spin-Off(working title)
Miyamoto casual IP

When did he say that?

I know you can't say but I'm going to guess they are having a conference, just not at the usual E3 venue. Nintendo's very own E3 like event where there will be a press conference and then WiiU / 3DS and QoL games / experiences to try.

It would give them the same mainstream appeal of E3 (if it's around the same time) along with them not having to share the limelight with Sony, MS and all the third parties.

maxcriden

Or maybe, just maybe, people arr honestly concerned about Nintendo's well being as fans of Nintendo? Every little negative thing they do only hurts them worse. Sony shouldn't be receiving worry for not being at PAX East because they'll do fine and they're so relevant that it isn't needed. Nintendo,who's nearly the lowest in sales despite being launched a year early, needs every little press they can get so they can get back their market share and offer more quality systems/games as a result. There is persecution or narrative, they're just things Nintendo needs to do so they can achieve that same success.

I agree with you and I understand where you're coming from. I'm not talking about people who are honestly concerned as you or I are, I'm talking about concern trolling that's sometimes an issue.

213372bu

Banned
I agree with you and I understand where you're coming from. I'm not talking about people who are honestly concerned as you or I are, I'm talking about concern trolling that's sometimes an issue.

Oh it's fine. There are definitely people out there like that with anything,( see any other message board,) I just didn't want to paint myself as that type of person.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Alright, thank you. I didn't know that, though I don't think this means anything. If Animal Crossing was coming to the Wii U, surely we would have heard something about it by now...

Nintendo tend to reveal their stuff out of nowhere. For example, this time last year, we didn't know Super Mario 3D World was a thing and that came out before the year ended.

Sandfox

again I think they are implying the press conference. that's how I've been taking all of those comments...

but I will tentatively stand corrected

That's what I would hope as well because the former makes no sense, but they didn't make it seem that way to me.

I was obviously talking about the press conferences.

Someone told me the xbox one spies on you and then don't want it because of it, this person does not know what an e3 or a Microsoft press conference is.

information spreads

Who fucking knew.
Things like social media and news sites now spread this type of info and that was kinda my point.
Which lead to more sales. What exactly are you trying to argue?

No you said that E3 doesn't affect consumers at all and that sales would be the same regardless. It's ok to admit you're wrong.

I said events such as E3 and similar settings provide a boost in exposure and sales. Which you agree with?

Edit: Lol Flux, nice to see I'm not the only person here confused as hell as to what they're arguing.
E3 is advertisement so it obviously leads to more sales, but my point was that its not the end all be all that you're implying since things like marketing are more important and can easily make up for things like that.

Also saying things like " Without these big conferences people wouldn't feel the need to buy a PS4/X1" and "If you think the Wii, PS4, and Xbox One were/aren't prevalent because of such events" implies that you think these devices wouldn't have sold at all without E3.
Wait, how is it helpful for companies to invest money and effort when it won't improve their sales at all? Media coming together and reporting on upcoming games apparently won't improve sales, according to you, so why bother?

What's the point of building hype and using press for word of mouth if it doesn't translate to sales?

You guys are starting to contradict yourselves; it's kinda hilarious.

I kinda answered this above but I know that E3 can increase sales but in today's world I doubt the effect it has.

Yagami_Sama

I really don't want to built some great expectation towards E3, since last E3 Nintendo, chose to do their stuff instead of a traditional presentation.But
I really hope that all this silence, means that they will do some noise there. I really hope that, please don't screw things focusing on Quality of life stuff or
whatever this might be and please start reviving some IPs and shows what the game pad may do.

My personal dream wish list is :
Fatal Frame, a new one or HD collection. (this series fits the game pad perfectly)
Metroid, could be a new Prime or other M like title or a 2D made by Koji Igarashi
Pandora Towers 2, ask Koji Igarashi to do this too. Better than any 3D Castlevania out there.
F-Zero
Star Fox
Famicom / Battallion Wars
Pokemon Stadium 3, better and bigger than 2.

There are a lot more but this small list would be okay to be shown at E3.

Snakeyes

They've been doing a fall conference that is exactly that pretty regularly. Complete with journalists getting hands on with new games.
Well, it's not big enough. If they're trying to be gaming's Apple (which seems to be their goal rather than more traditional competition against Microsoft and Sony), they need a proper equivalent to events like WWDC and Google I/O. Big stage, hype, etc. What they're doing right now gives off the impression of a company that is running away rather than one that is "too good" for E3.

213372bu

Banned
Also saying things like " Without these big conferences people wouldn't feel the need to buy a PS4/X1" and "If you think the Wii, PS4, and Xbox One were/aren't prevalent because of such events" implies that you think these devices wouldn't have sold at all without E3.

I'll clarify so I don't feel like a dolt. The hype and exposure generated from E3 wouldn't produce as much want for the consoles. In no way do the success of these consoles owe it to E3, but the role E3 played in such generated hype/exposure was one stepping stone for the consoles to gain as much traction as they did.

FluxWaveZ

I kinda answered this above but I know that E3 can increase sales but in today's world I doubt the effect it has.

That's less absurd than what I thought you were saying before, though I still think you're underplaying the role E3 plays in a game's sales in the end. We can't really determine it one way or the other, but it's not like appearing in a conference will diminish their sales.

What I want most out of Nintendo this E3 is to have a conference and to show a bunch of games people will be excited for (SMTxFE, Persona Q, X...). Something that won't make them handily overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft in terms of excitement and general buzz. There aren't any new consoles coming out this time that will do that and, this time, it'll all be about the games, so if Nintendo has some awesome games to show, they'd shine brilliantly on the big stage.

The success of mobile gaming without the need of an "E3" hype event, shows how irrelevant E3 has become in the current gaming landscape.

Ansatz

Seen numerous. I'll even take Nintendo in '08 over another one of these. There's something far worse, depressing and dreary about the Directs than any momentary oddness or goofy announcers from the past. It's like they've resigned themselves to last place loser status at an outside corner, babbling at anyone who will listen, instead of being in the party with all the big players.

Bolded would imply they have a lineup of games equivalent to what the other 10 publishers are bringing. Nintendo is an "outsider" only relative to the circle containing Geoff K and his audience, people from the outside observing the situation probably wonder why Nintendo is even attending in the first place.

Let me illustrate. Gametrailer's top 10 games of 2013:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D World
Pokemon X/Y
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Grand Theft Auto V
BioShock Infinite
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
The Last Of Us
Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

You can't bring lineup A and expect those who lean more towards lineup B to be impressed. It's best if Nintendo distances themselves, not directly competing for the audience who are into the Playstation 4 and Xbox One libraries. Instead specialize in the area they excell at, I guess it can be summed with Miyamoto game design. If Nintendo is to be successful again, it will be in the Wii/DS way of attracting the mass market. I mean how many Japanese AAA publishers succeeded with westernization? The Legend of Skyrim is not the solution.

openrob

Just ignoring the e3/Direct nonsense for a minute.

When Nintendo announced their QoL stuff they said they were 'leapfrogging' wearable technology.

Does that mean they already anticipated all the VR stuff I.e. occulus rift etc? And have already started planning around it?

Jado

Banned
How is this news distributed these days? Back when we didn't have internet, this news got to the consumer almost solely through word of mounth/video game magazines.

These days everyone and their grandmother is connected to the interent and uses it as their main information tool. Especially those who are interested in the E3. Whenever and however Nintendo announces new things, you'll be sure TONS of "gaming journalists" will be picking up on it in no time.

The usual forum dwellers even faster. Nintendo Directs are super effective and cost efficient.

Yes, effective at delivering news to Nintendo's dwindling fanbase and generating zero media buzz. I'd bet money that your average site (gaming, tech, Forbes, Yahoo, whatever) generated more stories and far more traffic from actual press conferences than from Nintendo's pre-recorded Direct in 2013 and that it will happen again in 2014 and every year going forward that Nintendo decides to do this. Unless they reveal something huge, the biggest Nintendo takeaway will continue to be that they're once again a "no-show."

Somnid mentioned how Google and Apple no longer attend E3 and CES as a sign that "these shows no longer matter" and that it's best to have your own. These are a TERRIBLE comparison because they're not at all what Nintendo has been doing recently. Each of these companies hosts their own major press conference on a big stage with a large media presence. Let's compare!

Google:
7c08f767-75d9-4a62-8645-566cc694a68c_1320.jpg
Ev_GoogleIO_2013_DavidCardinal_00091.jpg
google-io-2013-most-exciting-announcements-L-ZDIOf2.jpeg
google_io.jpg

Apple:

Amazon:

Video game press conferences suddenly look very familiar.

Sony:

Microsoft:

And then there's... this. Nintendo (I had trouble finding this one image from Iwata's pre-recorded video):

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just ignoring the e3/Direct nonsense for a minute.

When Nintendo announced their QoL stuff they said they were 'leapfrogging' wearable technology.

Does that mean they already anticipated all the VR stuff I.e. occulus rift etc? And have already started planning around it?

I don't think their QOL products have anything to do with VR.

Also:

UcsuxwH.jpg

That screen setup was SICK. One of the best stage of E3.

I want to see them mention that the company is turning 125 years old this year, and see how many journalism websites call it a gaffe without checking its accuracy first.

phanphare

Banned
Yes, effective at delivering news to Nintendo's dwindling fanbase and generating zero media buzz. I'd bet money that your average site (gaming, tech, Forbes, Yahoo, whatever) generated more stories and far more traffic from actual press conferences than from Nintendo's pre-recorded Direct in 2013 and that it will happen again in 2014 and every year going forward that Nintendo decides to do this. Unless they reveal something huge, the biggest Nintendo takeaway will continue to be that they're once again a "no-show."

Somnid mentioned how Google and Apple no longer attend E3 and CES as a sign that "these shows no longer matter" and that it's best to have your own. These are a TERRIBLE comparison because they're not at all what Nintendo has been doing recently. Each of these companies hosts their own major press conference on a big stage with a large media presence. Let's compare!

Google:

Apple:

Amazon:

Sony:

Microsoft:

And then there's... this. Nintendo (I had trouble finding this one image from Iwata's pre-recorded video):

every single Nintendo Direct gets reported on throughout all the major gaming sites. that =/= zero media buzz

Google:

Apple:

Amazon:

Sony:

Microsoft:

Sry but people attending Google I/O are mostly developers and it's not happening to just announce new devices.

every single Nintendo Direct gets reported on throughout all the major gaming sites. that =/= zero media buzz

But E3 gets coverage on more than just gaming sites. You'll see CNN, MSNBC, CNBC talking about E3. I seriously doubt they will have articles on a Nintendo Direct. You can't understate the importance of a strong presence at the largest Gaming Expo in the world and the coverage/buzz it gets outside the "hardcore" gaming circle.

3bdelilah

Banned
I honestly don't want them to do an on stage E3 if they don't have at least one bomba announcement, excluding Zelda U. If they're just going to show footage from Smash, X, Bayo and whatnot, a Direct would be sufficient.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Bolded would imply they have a lineup of games equivalent to what the other 10 publishers are bringing. Nintendo is an "outsider" only relative to the circle containing Geoff K and his audience, people from the outside observing the situation probably wonder why Nintendo is even attending in the first place.

Let me illustrate. Gametrailer's top 10 games of 2013:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D World
Pokemon X/Y
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Fire Emblem: Awakening

Grand Theft Auto V
BioShock Infinite
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
The Last Of Us
Ni No Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch

You can't bring lineup A and expect those who lean more towards lineup B to be impressed. It's best if Nintendo distances themselves, not directly competing for the audience who are into the Playstation 4 and Xbox One libraries. Instead specialize in the area they excell at, I guess it can be summed with Miyamoto game design. If Nintendo is to be successful again, it will be in the Wii/DS way of attracting the mass market. I mean how many Japanese AAA publishers succeeded with westernization? The Legend of Skyrim is not the solution.

Great points.

The only other path back to big time sales success I see is if Sony or MS happened to get out of the industry. If that happened and they could snap up some western developers and get some big exclusives on their hardware that appealed to the core market they'd have a good chance.

But otherwise, there's just historically not room for 3 successful core gaming consoles in the market--usually 1 or two dominate and the others fail (last gen the Wii found a separate market and did amazing sales despite the other two doing great at 80ish million each).

And they aren't likely to jump back into that core market and dethrone Sony or MS as most core gamers are loyal to one or the other of those these days. So barring one going under, they have to find another way to expand the market as you note, or continue to decline in sales as they have every generation sans the Wii.

Portables are a different store, but that market will continue to shrink as mobile gaming improves.

Towels

Banned
But E3 gets coverage on more than just gaming sites. You'll see CNN, MSNBC, CNBC talking about E3. I seriously doubt they will have articles on a Nintendo Direct. You can't understate the importance of a strong presence at the largest Gaming Expo in the world and the coverage/buzz it gets outside the "hardcore" gaming circle.

You're right, E3 does get coverage outside of the gaming media. Here's CNN reporting on Nintendo at E3 2013

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/13/tech/gaming-gadgets/nintendo-e3/

And CNBC

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100810130

Top Bottom