• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would happen to Nintendo if the NX flops like Wii U?

They would become more successful since they would no longer attempt "new" type of gameplay which is just the same game mapped to new controllers.

We will finally enter another SNES renaissance where Nintendo will release amazing software that stands on it own.

Ripenen

Instead of Nintendo failing out of the console business, what if consoles in general go away? A box plugged into your TV is already starting to become an antiquated notion.

ECC

I think the majority of people who keep talking aboud going third party or simply become an ip company should consider why Nintendo wants to make consoles.

The too short answer is that unless they own the eco system they give up a rather large part of gaming profits. Additionally Nintendo would not be in complete control of its corporate future anymore.

urfe

Am I correct in that Nintendo has confirmed that they'll have the following?

Theme park attractions
Movies
Console (incl handheld)
Smart phone games
amiibo (toys)

What if NX fails? Maybe like Sony, Microsoft and other companies, other divisions makes up for the loses?

jariw

yeah like the wii u made profit

I think that it might have made profit, depending on what you include in the Wii U brand. (Is amiibo part of the Wii U for example? For quite some time, Wii U was the only system with amiibo support). AFAIK, they never sold the Wii U at a loss (like they did with the GC), and lots of their Wii U titles had huge attach rates. They increased their % of their software sold digitally, meaning much higher revenue per title.

It didn't make huge profit, though.

OCD Guy

A box plugged into your TV is already starting to become an antiquated notion.

That's the bigger picture here, and one that Microsoft is very aware of. There's a reason they're doing what they're doing.

A physical Xbox is just a means to an end. Their future vision is a software platform.

Microsoft aren't a hardware company at all. Xbox is just a trojan horse to get you onto windows and the push is becoming even more evident....

I think out of all 3, Sony has more chance of disappearing, Microsoft end up focusing on operating systems, and Nintendo will still be their producing games....

A new console I can only see if they shift strategy heavily. I mean nintendo has been making slim profits lately but I can't see them continuously throwing money into a strategy that hasn't worked for them. If NX fails I could see some serious talks about ditching the console business happening, not sure if they'd do it, but it would be interesting to see what the company transitions too.
This possible shift in strategy is what i would place under the points "in-depth analysis" and "lesson learning".

One could say you were an expert.
Only after someone shot himself/herself in the foot, though.

So, basically this is bang on:
Can i have a tag? "Deemed bang on by Joe!" :D *High Five*

Nintendo's profit losses lasted for almost half of the Wii U's lifetime, and those were times when the 3DS did almost all the heavy lifting. It wouldn't be until the last year or two that Nintendo saw small year-round profits again.

Trago

Am I correct in that Nintendo has confirmed that they'll have the following?

Theme park attractions
Movies
Console (incl handheld)
Smart phone games
amiibo (toys)

What if NX fails? Maybe like Sony, Microsoft and other companies, other divisions makes up for the loses?

I was thinking the same thing. They wouldn't have to rely solely on their hardware business.

I think we should wait and see what the NX is and how Nintendo pitches it to the consumer in 2016.

trugs26

I don't have the numbers, but if I recall correctly, Nintendo hasn't really lost much money during the Wii U generation relative to their overall net worth. So since their worst selling console made a small impact, I'm sure they'll be fine trying again a couple times.

daveo42

Banned
I give them 1-2 more goes if the NX doesn't pan out and then they'll go 3rd party. Or...they might hold out long enough for MS to drop its console business for their own game store and we'd be back to two major console manufacturers.

A complete 180 to what tho? What would you have them change? Producing a more powerful traditional console isn't a 180, it's not like they've been actively avoiding that.

I would also not say they have been on the decline since the N64. The Wii was a ridiculous commercial success and the Gamecube and WiiU, while they both sold below expectations, still sold units and are very solid machines with good libraries.

That's not even including their GBA/DS/3DS successes

He says handhelds are what they're good at, and if you look at their console sales and subscribe to the idea that the Wii was a fad then you see that the Wii U sold in line with how the company had been declining. Also a 180 is the opposite of what their doing now, which would be a traditional game console.

If the WiiU isn't a traditional console because it has a touch screen does that mean that the PS4 isn't a traditional console because it has a touchpad?

When Iwata was still around, I would have said they'll try again. I remember reading an interview with him some time ago where he said something along the lines of that if Nintendo couldn't make the hardware for their games, they would leave the business. I don't think he meant that as literally as it sounds, but it definitely told me how committed he was to Nintendo creating their own software and hardware.

Under the new leadership, I'm not so sure. Kimishima seems to know his stuff, but I don't know enough about him to make that judgement call.

Nintendo is and always will be my favorite company when it comes to gaming, so I don't want them to go away. I personally would love to see them go third party and just become a game/merchandise machine. Put games like Zelda on PS4 and Xbox One, release Amiibo that work through an optional accessory, and profit.

18-Volt

I'm pretty sure they won't let it happen again for a second time. Even if the sales are abysmal, Nintendo would do an "emergency recovery action". It could be:

- Buy or merge with a big third party company. Ubisoft, 2K or Square, you name it. Make huge franchises 2nd party. GTA, Tom Clancy, DQ...
- Kill the home console immediately, release a technologically superior version in matter of months and shift all the current game projects to it. This would hurt Nintendo bit but if graphics are the really the thing third party require then so be it.
- Moneyhat like they have never moneyhatted before. Just like they did with Bayonetta 2 but much more aggressive. Learn what fans yearning for and go for it. They want new Crash? Pay activision money and give the project to a capable studio. Retro? Next Level? They want Chrono Trigger 2? Pay Square. Everyone has their price tag and snatching exclusives like that wouldn't be hard for Nintendo and would be great for NX.

Instead of Nintendo failing out of the console business, what if consoles in general go away? A box plugged into your TV is already starting to become an antiquated notion.

Although console gaming is as thriving as back in the day, that doesn't mean consoles are going away.

It's still an insanely big industry, and as long as people who want to immerse themselves in videogames, consoles and PC gaming will continue to exist.

We might be in a paradigm shift with the upcoming VR options, the next step will probably be to have VR sets with neural transmitter making muscles twitch etc. when in contact in the actual game.

I predict right now though, that seniors in the future will be the only people still using an actual controller.

Bruno MB

In my opinion Nintendo NX is dead on arrival unless it is a portable device.

If it is a home console I can't see any reason why it won't be another Wii U flop. Also, I don't believe in those old hybrid rumours because it would be bad as a portable system (too expensive with unnecessary accessories) and also bad as a home console (very underpowered).

_PsiFire_

They really don't. As we saw with RIM/Blackberry, once people don't buy your products from one cycle to the next you burn through cash reserves really, really quickly. That along with the loss of outside investors and you start looking like Sega really damn quickly.

A war chest is there for a cash injection in case of a dire emergency. You can't live off of it long term.
Odd using RIM/BlackBerry here. RIM had about $3B in the bank when problems started...they have $3.3-3.5B now, while marketshare/mindshare is still really grim for the company they haven’t been burning through there reserves just yet.

In my opinion Nintendo NX is dead on arrival unless it is a portable device.

If it is a home console I can't see any reason why it won't be another Wii U flop. Also, I don't believe in those old hybrid rumours because it would be bad as a portable system (too expensive with unnecessary accessories) and also bad as a home console (very underpowered).

PS4 is still on track to beat the PS2. Even with 3rd Party support and a competitive price, it might be too late.

Rncewind

3DS and amiibo both did pretty well for them. Not to mention toys and other merchandise.

And wii u did not went pretty well for them, went pretty disastrous to the point where it burned ALL 3ds earnings for 2 years, so what your point?

I think that it might have made profit, depending on what you include in the Wii U brand. (Is amiibo part of the Wii U for example? For quite some time, Wii U was the only system with amiibo support). AFAIK, they never sold the Wii U at a loss (like they did with the GC), and lots of their Wii U titles had huge attach rates. They increased their % of their software sold digitally, meaning much higher revenue per title.

Even if i add amiibos and double the ammount they still have heavy losses with wiiu, its not like up to question.

People seem to forget the 2012-2015 earning calls lol

Thats like saying microsoft is doing fine with xbox because their Company sum overall is a profit. Look at the specific fields

You have better chances seeing Sony or Microsoft exiting the gaming hw segment first. And even exiting the whole gaming market is something possible...
- MS only want Xbox to become a platform like Steam.
- Sony followed MS and is imo in a very bad position with Neo vs. Scorpio and PS4 vs. Xbox One S.

This said, if NX fails, Nintendo will support it like they did for Wii U (small things here and there + a few big games) and they'll look at the next opportunity for them.
Nintendo's job is to make games, they are making their hardware because it gives them more freedom, they can rely on specific things they built from scratch in the hw to implement their ideas in games and they can (when hw is successful) make a lot of money with royalties.

Sony and MS are now hw companies who are fighting against PCs.

They would become more successful since they would no longer attempt "new" type of gameplay which is just the same game mapped to new controllers.

We will finally enter another SNES renaissance where Nintendo will release amazing software that stands on it own.

I'd love a return of SNES-era Nintendo more than anything. That was Nintendo in it's prime, imho.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I read somewhere that Nintendo can suffer a few flop until they run out of money, so they'll probably try again in a few years.
Sure Nintendo has a lot of cash, but they still have to justify spending it.

Let's say you were a shareholder (aka partial owner of the company), and Nintendo has just pissed away a few billion trying unsuccessfully to "reconquer" the market. Now they say "it's okay guys we still have some money in the bank, we're going to spend another few billion and give it another shot!" Meanwhile Microsoft is dangling billions of dollars in front of you offering to buy the company. Market analysis shows Nintendo would sell more software as a third party than on a Nintendo console. What would you, as a shareholder who invested in order to make a profit, urge the company to do?

Not saying they are definitely going to exit the console business. But it's a lot more complicated than simply "they have enough money to afford another flop".

OCD Guy

If the WiiU isn't a traditional console because it has a touch screen does that mean that the PS4 isn't a traditional console because it has a touchpad?

The touchpad isn't the core feature that's emphasized though. Infact many times I forget that or the speaker are even there.

With Nintendo any "features" tend to be the focus point, the screen on the Wii U was the focus point, games were meant to be designed to make use of that. It's never really been the case for the ps4 and the touchpad, and that's a good thing as the touchpad is crap, and short of a few uses in Infamous, Killzone etc I'm glad it's not pushed as an essential element of games.

I honestly can't see a touchscreen being the gimmick for the NX though, Nintendo while stubborn and sometimes unable to see the bigger picture will no doubt be aware that it didn't really do much on the Wii U, infact I think the controller ultianmtely led to the failing of the wii U due to the effect it had in terms of cost for example. They even started to ignore it after a while and relegated it to off screen play.

Huff

Banned
I know we don't know anything about the NX, but I don't see it doing any better than the wiiu

What is the market they are aiming for?

JoeM86

And wii u did not went pretty well for them, went pretty disastrous to the point where it burned ALL 3ds earnings for 2 years, so what your point?

Revisionist history.

Nintendo were at a loss before the Wii U came. The 3DS revenue is what caused it. 3DS had a shaky start so they had to price drop. In doing so, it got sold at a loss and that's when it took off. They sold 11 million units between August 2011 (the time of the price cut) and March 2012. If it was $50 loss per unit, that's $550,000,000 lost on just the 3DS hardware, and that's about what they lost.

Wii U didn't "burn all 3DS's earnings". It didn't help matters, no, but it didn't burn through earnings at all.

It's worth noting that Nintendo ended up with just three fiscal years in the red. Two of which the Wii U was present for (1 and a half calendar years)

Rncewind

Revisionist history.

Nintendo were at a loss before the Wii U came. The 3DS revenue is what caused it. 3DS had a shaky start so they had to price drop. In doing so, it got sold at a loss and that's when it took off. They sold 11 million units between August 2011 and March 2012. If it was $50 loss per unit, that's $550,000,000 lost on just the 3DS hardware, and that's about what they lost.

Wii U didn't "burn all 3DS's earnings".

It did, for 2 years, and did even burn more, because it was the 2 strongest year of the 3ds

im not gonna argue with you if you deny to read official earning calls from nintendo

to quote someone other:

Nintendo's profit losses lasted for almost half of the Wii U's lifetime, and those were times when the 3DS did almost all the heavy lifting. It wouldn't be until the last year or two that Nintendo saw small year-round profits again.

also this "sold at this lost, make this much profit" math from you is ridiculous

Raiden

Banned
Try again? Nintendo is still dominating the handheld market and with stuff like Pokemon i think they're good for cash.

I honestly don't see it selling that much better than the Wii U unless it has an amazing gimmick to capture the casual audience. I think it may do GameCube numbers at best.

I know people like to bring up the Nintendo war chest a lot but at the end of the day no company will just waste money on products that don't succeed.

Ban Puncher

NR2Tabt.gif

JoeM86

It did, for 2 years, and did even burn more, because it was the 2 strongest year of the 3ds

im not gonna argue with you if you deny to read official earning calls from nintendo

to quote someone other:

And the 3DS was still being sold at a loss for a bit. Not to mention huge expenses such as their new R&D building, share buyback etc. You're looking at statistics but not looking at the actual context behind them. That's quite common with enthusiasts in this industry.

Brhoom

Banned
I asked my friends would they switch from xbox and sony if Nintendo made the most powerful system with all their games? These were the responses:

1- Nintendo makes the same Mario games over and over.

I asked him how many mario games has he played? None.

"No no I ment Mario party they are all the same"
Ok?

2-I have too much trophies to move now and start over

What the hell?

3-I have this user name for a long time and don't want to change it

Ugh.

4-Nintendo only makes stupid games for kids

Again, he didn't play any Nintendo game.

5-fuck Nintendo sony all the way

Umm...

6-All my friends will buy the ps4 version of CoD so I wont be able to play with them

This is the only argument I heard from them that is valid.

Rncewind

And the 3DS was still being sold at a loss for a bit. Not to mention huge expenses such as their new R&D building, share buyback etc. You're looking at statistics but not looking at the actual context behind them. That's quite common with enthusiasts in this industry.

Are you serious? Thats what im saying, the earning calls specified the loses at hardware and software in this years, thats the reason you should read them. Also yeah the R&D if the wii u is also a contributor to wii u fail and costs

also 3ds sold at loss in 2013 and 2014? yeah ok whatever you say

Im gonna ignore you, when you read the earning calls pm me or something

The Wii U was a bit Frankenstein-ish, and the expensive Gamepad was tethered to the system. I would expect the new console/portable to be a bit more budget-friendly.

Im not saying nintendo is doomed or the wii u is definitive prove they should give up business.

However this wii u made profit posts are like below economy 101 lol

JoeM86

Are you serious? Thats what im saying, the earning calls specified the loses at hardware and software in this years, thats the reason you should read them

also 3ds sold at loss in 2013 and 2014? yeah ok whatever you say

Im gonna ignore you, when you read the earning calls pm me or something

You're just looking at overall loss, not the context of it and then making statements as weird as the Wii U ate up all the 3DS revenue, which is not the case.

Top Bottom