• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you like to see in a new RESISTANCE game?

After seeing...

Sony files trademark for "Resistance" in Europe
m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=979556

...I got wondering about how a potential Resistance '4' could be. Resistance Fall of Man is one of my favorite FPS's, right next to the Halo series. But Resistance 2 really soured just about everyone with its complete change of mechanics in multiplayer and even singleplayer.

Before I talk about a new Resistance, I want to talk about the series so far.

A LOOK BACK ON THE RESISTANCE SERIES

RFOM, by far, had the best gameplay and multiplayer (in my opinion, many will agree). A ton of solid guns, fast paced gameplay based on skill, focuses on headshot, gun skill/combination, and teamwork. It felt a lot like HALF LIFE mixed with HALO. Which would create an amazing game.

Ok, moving on.

In R2 they added completely regenerating health (SP, MP always had it), completing relying on aiming down the sites of your gun (ala COD), and some sort of Killstreaks called Bezerks. They dropped the skill ceiling significantly by removing the pin point accuracy of guns, and losing a focus of headshot based gun fights. This was all in favor of making it more realistic, and more accessible to casuals. Also, the art style was all over the place IMO. This even furthers in Resitance 3.

In RFOM, it was 40 player online. Big team based ground combat. It was a lot of fun. R2 boosted that to 60 which brought bigger maps and huge choke points, which were also a decent amount of fun despite its flaws of turning into COD gameplay, which was awful..
BUT, Resistance 3 came around.. Dropped the player count to I think 12? 16? Below 20. This was another drop in my quality, in my opinion. Also, the gameplay got more like COD, less like Resistance, with a greater focus on mechanics that didn't belong in Resistance.

Quick side note. Insomniac usually went through 2 year cycles on their games on PS3. Every game took about 2 years to make. Resitance 3 took an extra year 'for polishing'. How did an extra year relate to significantly less content?

After an extra year of development that Insomniac had, they dropped many features from previous installments.

>a full 8-player co-op mode with a seperate lore
>the map count in MP dropped significantly
>from 60 player mp to 12 or 16 (unsure)
> weapon count (?)
>clan system completely missing in favor of 'add clan tag'
>dropped full caracter customization for SKINS
>no server browser

The MP was the worst in the series.

But the singleplayer may be the best in he series.

Okay, that's enough ranting for now. You can see what I like and dislike in the series, and I'm sure many RFOM fans can agree with me.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE NEXT RESISTANCE?

-Of course, I favor the old school gameplay RFOM had, I would love to see a return to that; with focusing on skill based gameplay again.

-No Killstreaks, No ADS! that ruins the flow on Resistance's core gameplay.

-return of the clan system. This keeps the community around and keeps it alive. a RFOM was really clan focused. You would always run into the big named guys in matchmaking if you were in a party of 20!

[I typed this up on my phone, please forgive any errors]

Alright alright, time to go play in some snow, and maybe some sledding. Leave some of your ideas here GAF, I'll be looking forward to your replies.

Shout out to my favorite RFOM clans, [oNO], [DDB], NONE., [|^|], [iCu]. RIP.

Turkoop

Banned
Only SP, should be long like TLOU, +12 hrs.
I want more Action & dramatic, better visuals & the resistance style.

PranooY

Short answer: Yes. I really like the Resistance series and it has high potential. And yea, i know mine is an unpopular opinion.

acevans2

So long as they get the tone right. Resistance 1 took a step in the right direction, Resistance 2 went a different way altogether, and they finally nailed it with Resistance 3. (Talking about atmosphere only here)

dcelw540

Make the single player like resistance 3 , add the 8-player co-op from resistance 2 and add the crazy 60 player muiltplayer

So long as they get the tone right. Resistance 1 took a step in the right direction, Resistance 2 went a different way altogether, and they finally nailed it with Resistance 3. (Talking about atmosphere only here)

I agree. Resistance 3 really felt amazing. That chimeran windowmaker scene on the train? Holy crap. The game felt so good on different levels, definitely a great atmosphere.

Duxxy3

Resistance 3 part 2. I did not play a single second of multiplayer, so I don't care if it had it.

dralla

Build off Resistance 3. For the single player anyway. Multiplayer...I'm not sure. I really liked the multiplayer in FoM but I don't think they'd go back to something like that.

Vibranium

Banned
I'd like to follow James Grayson, who is
infected with the Chimeran virus
in Russia. We've heard a lot about Russia in Resistance lore, it would be nice to finally see it. Keep the atmosphere of Resistance 3 though, that was perfect. Bring back the heavy weapon sounds of FoM too.

I don't really have any requests for multiplayer but bringing back online co-op would be amazing.

BPoole

Only if they make it mostly like R2 with the Co op and multi-player. R3 was horrible in every sense. I still can't believe Insomniac ditched the Co op from R2

Nathan Hale "clone" kind of like the terminator that the chimaera developed to be a double agent. You help him regain his humanity.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Don't give a rats ass about the MP, but if it had to return I wouldn't mind a similar game to 2's, but I would love to see the 8 player coop return.

In terms of gameplay, keep it like either 1 or 3, no ADS requirement, weapon wheel, alternate fire for all the guns, etc etc. Wouldn't mind the game being a bit more colorful like 2, although I would love to see some more of the horror elements seen in 1 and parts of 3 (and even parts of 2 really). Story wise drop the main guy from 3, can't even remember his name which is how little I cared about him or his family story crap. Much like 2 did, bring the game to a new location, maybe Russia/Asia where the whole thing originated? Basically, after 3s ending, you are sorta given the impression
that humanity is on the upper leg
, so perhaps the game could be about another Sentinel organization or similar hunting down
the last of the Chimera?

GrayDock

I think the the Resistance series should be always in Europe, with R;FoM in UK, R2 in Europe mainland (France, Germany and some Russia) with R3 all the way from the russian wall to the Tunguska region. History wise would be more logical.

A full co-op "SP" would be awesome too.

dalin80

Banned
Make it RFOM with all the latest tech, job done.

Find out who's idea it was to drop the weapon wheel from a weapon based game and slap them repeatedly with a large fish. A whale shark, preferably frozen should suffice.

Include a hand written apology note in with every copy asking for forgiveness for the abomination that was R2.

All of R1's weapons + R2's magnum + R3's weapon upgrades.

A proper opening, just dropping the player into the worst level with no context really hurt R1.

Splitscreen and online coop

And we are done here. Easy day one.

DrZeus

Also move it to a new studio. I love insomniac but I think it's time. I'd love to see what machine games could do with it.

gafneo

Banned
I would like the games to have a lock on targeting for futuristic weapons and melee, a mix of human enemies and aliens to shoot, less waves, more close quarters. The health system should be like Farcry3 and 4s'.

In arcade shooters in general, I'd like an auto guide button that moves my character towards the next location. A similar feature to this was in Farcry 4 where you could auto-drive when you wanted to take a break from control. Why not have something like that for on-foot to make the game feel on rails?

The Wolfenstein New Order's upgrade system should be a standard in all games that insist on having player progression.

Also, I like using the ps move. Why not support it for the few that still like motion?

5taquitos

I would like the games to have a lock on targeting for futuristic weapons and melee, a mix of human enemies and aliens to shoot, less waves, more close quarters.

In arcade shooters in general, I'd like an auto guide button that moves my character towards the next location. A similar feature to this was in Farcry 4 where you could auto-drive when you wanted to take a break from control. Why not have something like that for on-foot to make the game feel on rails?

hqdefault.jpg

Glowsquid

A return to the style of the first game. Wepon wheel, no ADS, mix of close quarter segments and open battlegrounds, vehicle sequences, and, for the love of god, no unskippable walking sequence where you wait for a NPC to deliver exposition. That, along with the overeliance on boring "zombie" enemies really hurt R3.

Z3M0G

I once had a great screenshot I have of bodies stacking on top of each other realistically in Resistance 1... but I have no idea what happened to it.

Anyways, R1 had some really great physical details.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Semi open world. Lots to do on the side. Exploring, collecting intel, upgrades, hidden weapons. I want them to focus more on the environments again. Landmarks, textures, and dialogue as authentic as possible.

The more time I spent exploring the more I disliked the textures in Resistance 2. A lot of areas felt bland and it felt out of touch after a while.

R3 was the perfect end to the series if they never make another Resistance game again, but who knows what Insomniac is thinking. You can really sink a game if it's too mediocre. I don't worry about graphics unless it's something they could of made to look a lot better. I understand if the tech wasn't around at the time, but sometimes it makes the experience a far worse experience than ever.

nampad

-Vita exclusive by a competent developer and budget around KZ: Mercenary.
-The MMORPG like coop of R2 refined.

A solo mode similar to R3 - focusing on a heavy, dark atmosphere, even more than in R3. Some TLOU in it with a larger scale of a massive war.

A multiplayer similar to R2, with split-screen still here - which means pure fun.

While it should be bigger than any of the previous entries, i would like a reboot, with new designs for chimeras (is that the word in english for the monsters in the game? - please correct me if wrong).

I'd like to see a whole game based on the MMO mode in the second game. I put so much time into that. I never got around to playing the third game so I don't know if it was also in that one.

Ainsz

As good as R3's campaign was, the story was too personal for me. I want more expansion on the Resistance universe; there's so much good stuff that was only ever touched on and left to be explored. R3 added pretty much nothing to the lore.The resistance world was probably my favourite and most interesting setting from last gen. RFOM set up set up every so well with surprisingly good pacing.

And for MP, bring it back to basics, near barebones like RFOM and you have a winner.

Also sections like this!
iZLHEJ.gif

Resistance 3 Story
Resistance 2 Co-op
Resistance FOM Multiplayer

Boom

Day. effing. one.

Honestly IMO, Resistance 2 SP is where insomniac fudged things. RFOM had so much character, its lore was awesome then R2 happened and it lost so much of its identity. R3 was a good comeback in SP - great boss fights, characters and atmosphere.

Edit: For what I would like to see in a new Resistance, keep doing what they did for the SP in R3 and follow the MP, formula from RFOM. The weapon design from RFOM needs to come back, it was so cool shooting a rocket into a building, freezing it in mid-air and releasing mini rockets to clear the room.

The problem is that the IP is essentially dead, not sure how they can even revive it. Plus it would require insomniac's a team and not the b team, frankly their b team just isn't all that good, and it doesn't look like insomniac is all that interested in giving 100% working with Sony anymore.

Wozman23

It's not gonna happen, but here are my demands:

Insomniac developed
A game that builds off the brilliant return to form of R3
Segmented health
The weapon wheel
More in-depth weapon leveling and upgrades
Couch co-op for the campaign
New environments by opening a portal to the Chimeran Homeworld
New enemies, mainly the Pure Chimera
New weapons to go along with them
Grey Tech pieces to collect to form an ultimate, overpowered, RYNO-like, Tesla-inspired death ray
And as mentioned in R2:
The introduction of the second alien race that ran the Chimera off long ago.

I don't care about multiplayer, though R2's co-op was fun.

Essentially a change in environments, enemies, and weapons could serve as a reboot. It would give us Resistance fans more of what we love, but also establish a concrete direction for a franchise that has floundered in the past.

Corto

Weapon Wheel
R2 4 classes co-op expanded
Gritty, ragtag non-military resistance movement story for the single player with no abrupt ending like R3.

Owwari

Banned
I just want to shoot more Chimeras, stack them up! R3 had 20 chimeras top per section (except for the ending etc etc).

Melchiah

-Of course, I favor the old school gameplay RFOM had, I would love to see a return to that; with focusing on skill based gameplay again.

I couldn't agree more. RFOM is the only one in the series I played through on hard.

What I want...
- Weapon wheel
- Skirmish like levels (eg. the one in RFOM with two Stalkers and a Widowmaker)
- No need to use ironsights
- Old school health system, as in the 1st and 3rd
- Continuation to R2's story
- Silent protagonist and a narrator
- No vehicle levels, as they've always been the most boring ones.
- No bosses
- Emphasis on SP campaign over MP side

Weapon wheel. Gotta have weapon wheel. If they want it to be linear, then Wolfenstein NWO should be a big influence. A less linear one could be great too, give it a simi open world like Bioshock or Metroid Prime. Doing a metroidvania shooter in Resistance could totally work given the insomniac weapon creativity, assuming that stays a part of it regardless of developer.

Or you know, just keep the ball rolling that R3 started. Only thing that game really needed was tighter gameplay, though I may of just been having issue with that damn DS3 controller more then there being any real lacking in the game itself. Idk. Okay and better writing. It wasn't terrible, but it was no wolfenstein or bioshock.

Top Bottom