• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you played all year?

NinjaBoiX

Post reasons please! A list of crap games doesn't make for an interesting read.

It doesn't have to have been released this year, just the worst game you've played in the last 12 months. Explain why, nobody wants to read a list of shit games!

My choice? Resi 6. It's just so fucking bad. Granted, I didn't play for more than an hour or two, but I doubt it was about to flip the script and become, well, Resi 4. Hell, even Resi 5 looks very favourable in comparison.

The controls were awful, the cut scenes poorly delivered, the QTE's some of the worst I've ever encountered, fudgy aiming, next to no feedback from shooting zombies, unless you hit their shoulder for some reason, the camera is way too close, the pacing, for the first hour or so at least, was absolutely horrible, and it just had this really disorientating,clumsy feel to it all, I didn't know what was going on half the time.

Runner up, TinTin. Who said this was good? It's a kids game, why did they suck the fun out?

Syberia or SSX. Can't decide between them, but they're way out in front.

That doesn't include game like Hell Yeah! which I put down (figuratively) after about 10 minutes

Jay Sosa

Fracture - bought it for 10€ so my expectations weren't that high. But the game is so godawful it's amazing. I already accepted that ever since the commercial success of Gears of War this gen early every goddamn company tries to cash in on the TPS hype but at least put some effort in it. Honestly I don't even wanna remember why I hated it so much. Finished it anyway cause after it drove me so mad I at least wanted to see the ending. Generic would be awfully nice to describe the game. Frustrating unimaginative piece of shit probably more accurate. God I hated that game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Resident Evil 5. The Lost in Nightmares part was actually pretty good, but everything else was awful. The game just seemed like the dev team was confused , as if they didn't know whether it was supposed to be a survival horror game or a TPS, and ultimately it ended up as a clunky, unenjoyable mess.

DonMigs85

I rather enjoyed RE6 but Simmons can go burn in Hell.
Anyway, I don't think I played anything truly bad this year but kinda regret getting Liberation Maiden. For the price its production values are great, but gameplay is so average.

NinjaBoiX

Syberia or SSX. Can't decide between them, but they're way out in front.

That doesn't include game like Hell Yeah! which I put down (figuratively) after about 10 minutes
I really want to like SSX. I refuse to sell it, and keep picking it up every couple of weeks, trying to convince myself its decent.

Then I keep remembering that someone threw a load of holes all over each track.

Seriously, who thought that would make for a fun snowboarding game?

I went through a long list of 2012 release to make sure that I'm not just jumping on the RE6 bandwagon, but...Resident Evil 6.

Max Payne 3 was a close second though. What an absolutely braindead, on-rails exercise in stupidity.

Shinta

Banned
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation

I regretted owning it within 10 minutes of starting it. I just can't believe how slow and dumbed down the combat was. I would press one button and watch Aveline do a 10 hit combo with no input from me while all the guards just stood around and watched. I haven't played an AC since part 2, and if this is what part 3 is like, it's literally one of the worst things I've ever played. Aveline was also not a likable character, at all.

I enjoyed Ninja Gaiden 3 more, and that's saying something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The RE6 demo was the worst thing I've played this year but when it comes to full games I have to say Sideway. One of the most unappealing and unfun games I've played in a long time, despite having a cool concept. The faux-urban thing was obnoxious.

Resident Evil 5 (free on PSN Plus, so luckily I didn't have to pay for it) probably takes the cake. The gameplay just felt stilted and annoying, the setting and story were urgh, and it just felt confused about what it wanted to accomplish. It also had a pretty terrible framerate.

Overall, though, I don't think I played any other game I'd consider outright bad this year, though of course there are games I'm more enthusiastic about than others.

Oh yeah, there's also Krater which is mediocrity made a game. Pity because I really enjoyed the art style and quirky humor.

NinjaBoiX

Max Payne 3 was a close second though. What an absolutely braindead, on-rails exercise in stupidity.
Didn't you realise it would be a linear TPS? It seems like that is your main criticism. It's not like it was hugely different to the prequels. In fact, it was very similar, just with gar better physics and graphics. Was it your first Max Payne game?

Also, can people post reasons. A list of crap games is a pretty dull read. Add some meat to your btching!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Probably Guild Wars 2, was so hyped and it just didn't deliver at all. Pretty much everyone I know stopped playing after they hit 80, or a few weeks.

I played Alan Wake PC earlier this year. So painful

• Shitty protagonist
  • Shitty companion
  • Story is presented in an interesting manner but the manuscripts read like they were written by an 8 year old
  • Shitty combat lacking in any real variety. There isn't even any aiming to speak of. Gets even worse when the bullet sponge enemies become bullet spongier towards the end. Only reprieve comes in having flash bangs/flares

I get what Remedy were going for, it just didn't turn out as good as it could have been (more threatening enemies and less of them, no bullet sponges, no guns just light sources). I finished it and have no intention of ever playing it again

Those graphics though...

see5harp

Sideway is a good choice. Game had really terrible gameplay, performance, art and design. I don't think lollipop chainsaw was very good either but I somehow finished that and I couldn't be bothered to even give Sideway more than an hour before giving up. It's probably a controversial choice but I also found the first two hours of Planetside 2 to be incredibly bad. I spawned immediately into a 30 minute base rape with little to no explanation of anything in the game. It felt like a great looking beta product.

NinjaBoiX

I could probably think of a more disappointing one if I tried, but this is a good answer. After hearing everyone talk it up so much I was expecting San Andreas levels of awesome.
I thought Saints Row 3 was a load of fun. It was falling over itself to entertain. Press L2 to awesome was fantastic, it was a halfway decent shooter too. It was a bit of a mess, technically speaking.

Hitman Absolution by a country mile. There are mechanics that are contradictory to other mechanics within the game as well as being contradictory to how past Hitman games were played. It has a strong focus on a story that is as ridiculous as it is dull. It has a checkpoint system and mechanics that discourage experimentation. Some levels ended up leaving me baffled with how someone would even go about completing them stealthily. When it comes to stealth games, I always try to take the non-lethal/"don't get spotted" route and I ended finishing a bunch of levels gunning down every enemy because of conflicting mechanics and enemy placement. It has fleeting moments of potential greatness where the game has a creative level setup or two, but everything else about it brings it down. What's worse is that it becomes something like a Splinter Cell game later on where there are only guards in a level. It was a frustrating experience that I felt the need to see it through to the end.

I still want to try out RE6 at some point though.

Globox_82

Banned
maybe not worst but boring as shit - AC3. OMG this game somehow manages to make combat even worse, I am 5 hours in and I am so bored that I have to turn off my PS3 every 30 minutes. I like to finish games but if this continues like this I might give up on it.
I completed every RE6 campaign and it was okey, at least had easy option to run through the game.

NEO0MJ

I might get some flak for this, but Ratchet and Clank CIT. I played up to Clank's first boss but the game just didn't click for me. Combat was pretty boring and platforming seemed simple. I was playing on hard.

Sheroking

I don't make it a habbit to play bad games... but if I'm not counting some indie stuff, I'd probably say XIII-2 or RE6, even though I didn't absolutely hate RE6 the way some did.

NinjaBoiX

I played Alan Wake PC earlier this year. So painful

• Shitty protagonist
  • Shitty companion
  • Story is presented in an interesting manner but the manuscripts read like they were written by an 8 year old
  • Shitty combat lacking in any real variety. There isn't even any aiming to speak of. Gets even worse when the bullet sponge enemies become bullet spongier towards the end. Only reprieve comes in having flash bangs/flares

I get what Remedy were going for, it just didn't turn out as good as it could have been (more threatening enemies and less of them, no bullet sponges, no guns just light sources). I finished it and have no intention of ever playing it again

Those graphics though...
Why do people keep complaining about the bad writing in AW? The guy is a hack! That's the whole point.

Of course, bad writing is bad writing, intentional or not, but it was actually a choice as far as I'm concerned.

And it has some of the most satisfying combat I've ever seen.

I generally pick my purchases very carefully, and as a result I tend to mostly buy/play games that I know I'll like. But every now and again, an anomaly slips through. Decided to buy Journey on a whim after hearing a bunch of praise for it, but I ended up incredibly disappointed.

It's definitely not my type of game. I prefer things with a bit more "meat" in terms of actual gameplay, and Journey didn't deliver on that front. Found it pretty boring. It's probably a great experience, but that's not what I'm looking for in a game. :(

I don't think it's bad, just not for me. At all.

Belgorim

I did not play many games this year and cannot remember any of them being bad. Probably played some crappy IPhone-game that I don't remember though. Oh, Doodle Alchemy or whatever it is called is not the best game ever I guess... not the full version, only the free, I never buy games on my phone. I did play some Wii, but only NSBWii and that one is fun.

But on my main platform PC, I only played good games this year. (Dota 2, Diablo 3, StarCraft 2, X-com Enemy unknown, X-com UFO-defence, World of Warcraft, Lord of the rings online). The winner for "worst of the bunch" would go to X-com enemy unknown or Dota2. Both of them excellent games of course :) (And as soon as dota gets some sort of arranged team matchmaking, it will be played a lot again)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I thought Saints Row 3 was a load of fun. It was falling over itself to entertain. Press L2 to awesome was fantastic, it was a halfway decent shooter too. It was a bit of a mess, technically speaking.

This is part of why I was so let down by the game. The combat mechanics are pretty good, but the mission design is so terrible and never makes use of them well, and the city is so bland and boring that goofing around and causing chaos just isn't fun.

Of course, bad writing is bad writing, intentional or not, but it was actually a choice as far as I'm concerned.

And I should excuse this why? It's boring as shit. Even his vocalization has the same drab quality to it. The guy lacks in any sort of character. I would have rather have played as a block of cement

And it has some of the most satisfying combat I've ever seen.

Point torch and shoot a predefined number of bullets for the type of enemy or if you're lucky just throw a flash bang and skip the monotony

It's fucking Remedy. How?

Tenck

It's fun for a bit, but then you realize some missions are just complete garbage. They're there to pad the time. Doesn't help that the highest difficulty makes everyone a bullet sponge. You either aim for head, which is a pain when there's so many people taking all your health away, or empty 3/4th of a clip to kill one person.

Just the whole way they handled missions is what made it the most disappointing game for me this year.

NBtoaster

The Last Remnant (PC). Falls for every terrible JRPG trope possible.

Includes:

pretentious, overdramatic story
annoying main character
boring/annoying every other character
convoluted battle system
weird cat people

sleepykyo

Metro 2033. Expected something like Stalker with exploration, picking factions, hunting for treasure/artifacts, etc. Got CoD Russian style.

Trudge through tunnel A or ruined city section B until the next station, which might as well be a vending machine consider how little there is to do the stations.

Jay Sosa

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation

I regretted owning it within 10 minutes of starting it. I just can't believe how slow and dumbed down the combat was. I would press one button and watch Aveline do a 10 hit combo with no input from me while all the guards just stood around and watched. .

yeah I love AC (It's getting a bit boring though cause you ALWAYS have to start from scratch and play a tutorial for 10 hours before they finally let you do whatever you fell like) but they have to fix the combat. Has been shit ever since the first. They should just focus more on the free climbing aspect and stealth kills than open battle.

NinjaBoiX

And I should excuse this why? It's boring as shit. Even his vocalization has the same drab quality to it. The guy lacks in any sort of character. I would have rather have played as a block of cement
I don't understand, you quoted the exact part of my post that points out that the writing was bad, intentional or not, then ask why you should excuse it? I'm confused. I was saying, "I totally get that you hated the writing, but I thought it was intentionally bad." You appear to have misunderstood me.

-Stranger-

I don't think I've played any bad games, at least none i can think of right now.

EDIT - Well maybe Tom Clancy's HAWX 2, it's just very bland and boring.

Diablo 3 for all the reasons known. That said, most of the games I played this years were pretty freaking good and D3 ain't exactly bad either. It just didn't even remotely live up to my expectations and that's enough to be my worst game of the year given that I cherry pick fantastic games at will in my >250 games Steam library.

Sober

Probably Guild Wars 2, was so hyped and it just didn't deliver at all. Pretty much everyone I know stopped playing after they hit 80, or a few weeks.
Yeah, I couldn't even make it to 80. I just went back to WoW, since friends were still playing that and my one friend just botted his way to 80 so he wasn't really much help with impressions on the game.

And this is the same year where I bought MOH: Warfighter for day 1 and dropped it soon after and I'm playing Hitman: Absolution as well (just bought it today for 20 bucks) and GW2 is still the stinker of the year.

e: ^^^ AND Diablo 3. Wow, just remembered that, but it looks like it's going well right now (from watching my brother play).

Top Bottom