• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you played all year?

jaaz

Here's another vote for RE6, although full disclosure that I only played the demo. I couldn't even finish it, it was so bad. I kept thinking about Code Veronica on the Dreamcast--one of my favorites along with 0--and how far FAR away this crap was from that game.

I'm going to go with Darksiders 2.

Got that game on a steam sale about a month ago. I'm probably about 4-5 hours in and man is that game boring. You ride through this empty overworld to get to a bunch of pretty bland dungeons. Is it just me, or does 90% of this game contain no music? The story seems pretty lame. "Hi, I'm Death. I'm here to do stupid tasks for you giant dwarf people."

There is also a ton of shitty climbing. Half the time he won't jump in the direction you want, or wont jump at all. And the combat is far more frustrating than fun. I feel like the more fearsome enemy in the game is the camera. Not to mention that loot drops ALL THE TIME and the pop up window that compares the stats to what you are wearing is useless. It wont show you if a stat is completely missing from the item you are looking at. For instance, if you have a bracer with 30 armor and 20 strength, and you find another bracer on the ground with 21 armor and no strength, it will show the bracer as a + to armor, but completely neglect that you will lose 20 strength.

On top of that, the PC version seems to have stuttering and v-sync problems.

I really don't know if I can take it anymore. But on the plus side, it is the most effective sleeping aid I have ever tried.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Darksiders 2 is so mashy. It takes WAY too long to kill anything because they scaled the items so bad, and the platforming is just bad.

As for me personally?
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
To put this in perspective, I played Garshasp this year.

Tiny and Big is one of the worst games I've ever played. It was saved by the fact that it's short as hell (2.7 hours, according to my Steam gameplay, but that includes messing around with the menus to get it to work) a bit, but not enough for me to ignore the facts.

The Story and The Characters
Ugh. A travesty. The writing was atrocious, full of spelling/grammar mistakes, and the entire plot is so stupid and childish that I rolled my eyes every time I was taken out of gameplay for an annoying cutscene.
The entire plot revolves around you and another, equally ugly and annoying character trying to get your Grandpa's old underwear.

Yes. You read that right.

The Gameplay
The game features a single device with a few nifty features:
A grappling hook (for pulling)
A rocket... thing (for pushing)
A laser (for slicing)

This sounds kind of cool, right? Wrong. The slicing is annoying to get correct, bland, and the physics don't always play ball. The rocket is essentially straight out of Garry's Mod and with physics nearly as broken. The grappling hook may be the worst offender for bad physics (note all the physics complaints because this is a physics-based game), and at one point I stood on top of a huge chunk of pillar and pulled it under myself with no traction or momentum.

These are all underutilized and end up with you doing the same three things four hundred times to keep climbing in repetitive and ugly locations.
You slice a rock, you push a different piece of rock, and you pull the rock down to jump on top of. Rinse and repeat.

The Graphics
These actually would have been OK if not for the ugly art design. The cel-shaded and washed out look was nice, but the texture and character art was so annoyingly putrid that it dragged the style overall down to being mediocre.

Overall, I think the game was a total waste of time (2.7 hours) and money ($2.50) and if that doesn't say it all, nothing will.
Really? I guess that means it's time for me to remove it from my Steam wishlist if it's really that bad...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Really? I guess that means it's time for me to remove it from my Steam wishlist if it's really that bad...

It isn't. I really enjoyed it.

I can understand if a person may not personally like it, but it isn't an objectively broken game and the mechanics work as they should. It's a puzzle platformer, where the puzzle is finding out how to traverse the world.

SykoTech

Street Fighter x Tekken I guess. The online was so bad that I just had to flatout quit playing online, something I haven't done in a fighting game since Brawl. I managed to get a decent amount of fun outta local multiplayer, but not enough to justify buying it Day 1 for $60. Then there's the fact that I still can't get the rest of the characters without dropping another $20.

Never again, Capcom. Well...for anything that's not Marvel or Power Stone.

Astral

RE6

I had some fun with it but I never wanna play it ever again. I recently played it just to see the new camera that the patch added. I played it for about a minute and I was done. Forever. I think most of the people who say they love it say that because they love Mercenaries. I understand that because the actual gameplay mechanics are pretty good once you master them. But if you don't give two shits about Mercenaries then this game has virtually no redeeming qualities. They story mode is just full of terrible "cinematic" bullshit that makes going through most of the chapters a chore. Every single chapter as something bad in it. Every single one. If I want to get to the good part of a chapter I have to go through a bunch of terrible shit. For example, I like the Tall Oaks town part in Leon's first chapter. However, to get to it I have to go through the awful tutorial-like university section. It's fucking torture.

I will never understand the Bayonetta hate btw. The combat is just so good.

SmithnCo

I'll go with Virtue's Last Reward. I loved the first game (999), but this one is buggy and has extremely lazy writing. I hate the cheap narrative ploy of the AB rooms:
your teammate always picks the opposite of whatever you pick
. Those situations could be an opportunity to learn about the characters by seeing 1) what they choose and why, and 2) how they react to your choice. Instead, every single person becomes either a smug cartoon villain (if you choose "A") or a hurt puppy dog (if you choose "B"). I've only played through the cyan door paths so far, so maybe this pattern doesn't hold through the entire game. What I've seen so far is very lame.

The numerous "to be continued..." endings are also a major letdown after some of the brutal "bad" endings in 999. There was only one "false" ending in 999, and it at least gave you an icon for your save file. So far in VLR I've hit 3 game overs without seeing a single "ending". I'm having a hard time even playing the game anymore because nothing ever seems to happen.

Dude, play through the whole game.

The ending stuff will make sense and there are more paths than 999.

rexor0717

I'd say Guild Wars 2. I was bored almost immediately. This may have to do with my dislike for MMOs, but I enjoyed the beta. Then when I got the real thing, nope. Done in a day.

Here's another vote for RE6, although full disclosure that I only played the demo. I couldn't even finish it, it was so bad. I kept thinking about Code Veronica on the Dreamcast--one of my favorites along with 0--and how far FAR away this crap was from that game.

You see this, everyone? This guy loves RE0 and even he hated RE6!

smh, Capcom

GorillaJu

It's gotta be Diablo 3. I knew there was a risk that it'd be a bit mundane, being that the game play is essentially antiquated at this point, but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is.

Emitan

Majin and the Forbidden Kingdom is the only one that comes to mind. I wouldn't really call it bad, it's just my least favorite game I played this year.

antitrop

It's gotta be Diablo 3. I knew there was a risk that it'd be a bit mundane, being that the game play is essentially antiquated at this point, but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is.
Yet everyone raved about Torchlight II as the second (third, even!) coming of Diablo, when in reality it wasn't anything special either.

I still had an enjoyable experience with Diablo III, maybe mostly for the social aspect as I played the game with friends over Skype from beginning to Inferno for about 100 hours. It came out the week after finals back in May and we had absolutely nothing but free time, so we played the shit out of it.

There was absolutely a point when I said "Why the fuck am I playing this game?" and that came right around Inferno Act 3 before any patches were released. Nope.

GorillaJu

Yet everyone raved about Torchlight II as the second (third, even!) coming of Diablo, when in reality it wasn't anything special either.

I still had an enjoyable experience with Diablo III, maybe mostly for the social aspect as I played the game with friends over Skype from beginning to Inferno for about 100 hours. It came out the week after finals back in May and we had absolutely nothing but free time, so we played the shit out of it.

I would have forgiven it to some degree if there were strengths that carried it a bit, but I can't find any. The story was so awful it makes me embarrassed for the people who wrote it. The co-op mode actually punished you by making the game insurmountably difficult for those of us who aren't masochists or gaming iron men.

You won't find me raving about TL2, I've never played it.

antitrop

I would have forgiven it to some degree if there were strengths that carried it a bit, but I can't find any. The story was so awful it makes me embarrassed for the people who wrote it. The co-op mode actually punished you by making the game insurmountably difficult for those of us who aren't masochists or gaming iron men.

You won't find me raving about TL2, I've never played it.
I think the fact that Deckard Cain is so easily offed by such a silly, minor character is actually unforgivable. And I don't even care about the story of any of the games, but it's Deckard fucking Cain, man. You can't just do him like that.

Mass Effect 3. The ending ruined the rest of the series for me. Since 2007 I have been immersed in the story, following every detail. Five years of buildup and hype led to three different coloured 2 minute cutscenes and basically ruined everything I loved about the series with one of the most bullshit cliched "The protagonist dies OMG WE ARE SOOOO EDGY LOLZ" endings I have ever seen. Congrats Mac the Hack, you ruined everything Bioware stood for and I will never purchase another one of your products.

painey

Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust. The game has real potential, the voice actors are good, there is a decent game idea behind it and there are some actually really funny jokes, but it's all put together so poorly, with bad art, shoddy editing and an annoying camera. Such a shame

Grief.exe

Resident Evil: ORC. What a sloppy mess.

I still can't believe that game sold over 2 million.
LLShC.gif

Bad consumers are ruining the industry right now.

Guild Wars 2. I loved Guild Wars 1 and played it for thousands of hours, but GW2 was a huge disappointment. Generic MMO world and combat, worst story and voice acting I've ever encountered in a game, no skill customization, no connection at all to its world, enemies respawning seconds after you killem them, lots of bugged Dynamic Events, etc.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Lakewood Story Episode 1.

It's free, RPG Maker, yeah yeah... But this game was hilariously terrible, I don't even know where to begin. Glitchy as hell, terrible yet hilarious pacing, laugh-out-loud dumb puzzles, and the kicker, it's made by a German guy trying to make it in English... It's hilariously terrible, and the worst part is you can see some honest effort was put into making this. Definitely sticks out as the low point game for me this year, even if it is unintentionally hilarious.

maladroit

Diablo 3. Every single aspect of it was a problem.

The fundamental design philosophy was an issue. They were so determined to "keep things simple" and "stay away from bloat" they didn't even make the UI modular, which meant minor tweaks to the interface required major code rewrites. Things that should've taken days or weeks got pushed back months.

The servers were constantly fucked. Playing hardcore was worthless, if not impossible, even months after launch, because a few times a week you'd lag out and just die to anything in the area.

There was a horrid lack of content. First of all, the entire game plan was players had to reach the level cap by beating the same short game four times in a row. What? Then, they had to grind until they were decked out in gear, at which point there was... nothing to do? At all? No interacting with other players, no additional challenge. Nothing.

It's absolutely mind-boggling to me that this game could be so far off the rails, and even lack general polish, when it had such a long time in development. The thought of ever having to play it again actually makes me feel nauseous, which no other game has managed to do.

The only thing positive I have to say about Diablo 3 is when the real money auction house was implemented I was able to sell all my gear and pay for the game, as well as make ~400 dollars.

Riposte

I think most of the people who say they love it say that because they love Mercenaries. I understand that because the actual gameplay mechanics are pretty good once you master them. But if you don't give two shits about Mercenaries then this game has virtually no redeeming qualities. They story mode is just full of terrible "cinematic" bullshit that makes going through most of the chapters a chore. Every single chapter as something bad in it. Every single one. If I want to get to the good part of a chapter I have to go through a bunch of terrible shit.

I like The Mercenaries, but I also really liked the main game too. Saying it has no redeeming qualities while also saying it has "good parts" is contradictory. Also going to that from saying every chapter has at least one bad thing about it is an odd way to explain your position. Most of the game is split between quick small encounters as you move through an area or big arena fights, both show the virtues of The Mercenaries in action (in the case of the latter, they take the areas and turn them into Merc maps). One thing the campaign has over Mercs (which is to say it does what Mercs does, better) is that Mercs is confided to a few small areas where you kill things, whereas in the course of these campaigns you see move along more places than you would in most games.

I wouldn't say the "cinematic bullshit" is as common as you imply here. I guess it becomes more common depending on how loose you take that word to mean (everything that isn't on foot with the normal combat system?). Even then the vast majority of the game is spent like you'd expect with small portions where it varies (running sequences for example), though I don't know if something like that shows up in every single chapter (it seems most common in Leon's campaign, the weakest campaign). I think most of them are inoffensive at worst, though there some really troubling ones that I could see ruining someone's mood (particularly the running sequences in Leon 3 and Chris 5 come to mind).

For example, I like the Tall Oaks town part in Leon's first chapter. However, to get to it I have to go through the awful tutorial-like university section. It's fucking torture.

That may be true for Leon 1, as that's likely the worst part of the game (especially to replay) right after the Prelude. I can't think of any other part of the game which strips you down to that degree and for that long, it is not a great example. Once they add save point(sub-chapter) selection, I'll probably won't touch it again.

Top Bottom