• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you played all year?

antitrop

Did not buy many or any bad games this year, the worst maybe child of eden. Rez HD was amazing but child of eden felt kinda boring. I only played 1 hour never finished it.
It's not just you. My friends and I used to get really stoned and trade off turns of Rez on PS2 in high school. Fantastic game. I played it again (sober) quite a bit in HD and had just as much fun.

Child of Eden is nowhere near as good as Rez.

Pretty much all the games I bought new were low end indie PC games, aside from Xenoblade and Last Story. I haven't played them all yet, but they seem decent. I've also bought a large amount of Super Famicom games, and the worst has definitely been Lagoon, a Super NES launch era Ys clone. It's stupendously bad. Most of all, it's incredibly slow (in pace and gameplay) and misses why the Ys games were fun.

antitrop

Pretty much all the games I bought new were low end indie PC games, aside from Xenoblade and Last Story. I haven't played them all yet, but they seem decent. I've also bought a large amount of Super Famicom games, and the worst has definitely been Lagoon, a Super NES launch era Ys clone. It's stupendously bad. Most of all, it's incredibly slow (in pace and gameplay) and misses why the Ys games were fun.
Not to be confused with Bahamut Lagoon, which is one of the better turn-based strategy games on the SFC.

Vaati

Banned
Either Adventure Time 3DS or the Walking Dead.

Adventure Time was just a terrible platformer with a broken final boss (You get damaged even if you dodge his attacks lol), terrible level design, and no real reason to fight anything. Being so short is its only saving grace.

The Walking Dead was an ok story (2 and 5 in particular) but aside from that I thought it was pretty bad. You have absolutely no control over the events of the story and in the end it would have just been better a visual novel or webseries. There are no repercussions to your actions and being a huge jerk to every character has no consequences. Parts where they tried to "add gameplay" like the shooting sections just felt so clunky. The game is incredibly unoptimized as well.

peronmls

I've been playing siren. It's so damn hard and is now becoming tedious! I'm stuck in a loop! and enemies come back to life! I think I have officially stopped playing it.

I really wanted to come in and ironically post the name of a universally loved game that made it immediately obvious I was making fun of all the posts with no description, but there's nothing that hasn't already been done in this very thread.

AngryMoth

I try to avoid bad games so the worst game I played would probably be AC3 as it was only passable. Connor was an annoying protagonist, an enormous amount of time is spent on essentially redundant gameplay systems that dilute the experience, and while I appreciate the new setting the architecture is such that it doesn't allow you to get around as quickly and fluidly as in previous games.

Very disappointing as it seemed like it was it was going to be a big leap forward for a series which had been spinning its wheels for a while, but in the end it ended up been pretty dull and didn't capitalise on the advances it made. Felt like I spent the whole game waiting for it o hit its stride and it just never did. Hopefully they'll take some of the critisizms to heart and come back with a new iteration which is more focused and gets back to the style of missions that made the second couple of games o enjoyable.

Man, just glancing through this thread it really was a terrible year for AAA releases. Thank goodness there's been so much great smaller stuff.

If I had to shit on a more popular and acclaimed game than RE:ORC, I'd have to go with Borderlands 2. That's a sixty dollar purchase that really burned me.

A game that tries and fails to be humorous and edgy with it's crass and unfunny characters and dialog.

An open world game with a large, but barren map with no incentive to explore.

An RPG with fairly limited and binary character building and predictable, MMO-esque quest design.

A first person shooter with monster closets out the ass and brain dead AI. There's no thought put into encounter design and combat often feels like a mindless slog.

A co-op game that doesn't allow players to work together in any meaningful way.

What is there to like, aside from the loot? And even then, so much of it is junk, aside from the novelty of collecting guns as loot it's not a particularly great loot game.

I guess with Borderlands the "pro" argument would be that the sum is greater than the individual parts, but to me it just feels like a soulless, dull mish-mash of currently popular elements of game design. I played the first game and the loot-on-a-stick was enough to keep me going till the end, but this time I just couldn't do it.

I actually totally forgot I played this.

I enjoyed BL2 much more than 1. This is keeping in mind that I thought 1 was one of the most overrated, silly, and boring games I've played this gen.

I tried really hard to like 2. I rented it, kept going back to it every few days, tried playing it in couch co-op with the lady of the house. When the UI didn't even fit in splitscreen on consoles, I wondered if it was a bug or if they even tested it. Things just kept going downhill from there for me.

So yeah, ultimately I have to agree with everything you said. Still, there's no way this was a worse experience for me this year than that 007 game.

hao chi

Wait, what? Sure the controls may be awkward (even more so if you compare to the sublime nunchuck+wiimote controls of Star Successor), but most of the level design is great, especially the aircraft carrier (one of the highest points in rail shooter level design). The first stage (which is more of a tutorial than anything) and the Long Island Rail Road stage are the only low points as far as level design goes - though I can say that at least the LIRR stage sucks has some basis in real life ;) (at least with Sin and Punishment you only have to deal with bugs on the train and not annoying drunk guidos!)

I actually enjoyed Sin & Punishment, I just didn't really play any bad games this year.

Edit: And there was some good level design, like the aircraft carrier like you mentioned, but overall Star Successor blew it away.

S&P is only my "worst" game of the year just because I didn't play anything I didn't like, unless you want to count the NG3 and RE6 demos, or as I said earlier, The Answer portion of Persona 3: FES.

Friend's gf brought over a Kinect and some dancing game and assured us it was fun last weekend. The shit was virtually unplayable.She kept trying to force all of us to play, but it wouldn't even register moves properly. I'm sure I played something worse, but this turd is the most recent that comes to mind.

We turned it off and played Nintendoland.

Friend's gf brought over a Kinect and some dancing game and assured us it was fun last weekend. The shit was virtually unplayable.She kept trying to force all of us to play, but it wouldn't even register moves properly. I'm sure I played something worse, but this turd is the most recent that comes to mind.

We turned it off and played Nintendoland.

Edit: Ninja Gaiden 3 was pretty bad.

Like a fool, I bought Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. That was ok, but still not worth 59.99.

zashga

I'll go with Virtue's Last Reward. I loved the first game (999), but this one is buggy and has extremely lazy writing. I hate the cheap narrative ploy of the AB rooms:
your teammate always picks the opposite of whatever you pick
. Those situations could be an opportunity to learn about the characters by seeing 1) what they choose and why, and 2) how they react to your choice. Instead, every single person becomes either a smug cartoon villain (if you choose "A") or a hurt puppy dog (if you choose "B"). I've only played through the cyan door paths so far, so maybe this pattern doesn't hold through the entire game. What I've seen so far is very lame.

The numerous "to be continued..." endings are also a major letdown after some of the brutal "bad" endings in 999. There was only one "false" ending in 999, and it at least gave you an icon for your save file. So far in VLR I've hit 3 game overs without seeing a single "ending". I'm having a hard time even playing the game anymore because nothing ever seems to happen.

Icomp

Diablo 3 really rubbed me the wrong way. Too bad since I rate the previous installation as one of the best games ever made..

I also played Kung Fu Panda 2 with the Kinect at work one time this year. Probably the worst time at work ever.

Riposte

Hmm, kind of a hard question to think about. I often push bad games out of my mind, unless I expect to argue about them a lot. I've argued a lot about Journey, but I do believe I've played worse games.

Dear Esther probably fits the bill. A game which gives so little stimulation and has so little going for it. It would be more ambitious to build a bad game. On the other hand Fez was exemplary in showing why more typical indie games are so gross, so it kind of provokes me into disliking it more. It was like they wrote the background of that game as a joke on indie developers for the movie and then released Fez as the videogame tie-in. "Indie Game: The Movie: The Game". Journey has some real nice music and a few gif-worthy scenes, so I can't say it is worse than Fez or Dear Esther.

Stepping out of the realm indie wankery, I suppose it might be Amy, but that felt so long ago. I didn't really get the chance to play many older games that were new to me this year. So my choices are pretty much confined to this one.

It might also be that some people only play a handful of games a year. You see the same with the GOTY lists where you think "really, that's on there?" but then you realize that's basically all the games they played.

Heh, yeah. Often I find that to be a hard thing to get over when sharing thoughts with people. I play like 30+ new games a year, while so many people on GAF seem to play no more than 8-10. They'll have one or two they really like and the one or two they really hate seems like the worst thing ever. They might end up including everything they played in a "GotY list" except for the one or two games they didn't like. Not being able to pick through a big list of games for your best and worst comes off as lacking nuance.

So, even though I wouldn't call it an awful game, Armored Core 5 has to be my clear winner (loser?). Part of my problem is that I was super hyped for it and thus the disappointment was magnified, but I had serious issues with the game's customization, singleplayer campaign, and implementation of multiplayer. There's something really wrong if you're playing an Armored Core game and there is one 'right' way to build your mech and every other part for that section is a complete downgrade, the firing stability stat was the worst culprit but certain weapons had clear 'better' choices as well. SP was boring and forgettable, not even close to For Answer. At least the co-op was usable this time, which is the only reason I even finished the game.

They fixed how OP some legs were in patches, no? Patches that the West were very slow to get (so I mostly missed it)... That being said, while I admit the multiplayer was poorly balanced in some ways, I don't think it was as cutthroat as you imply. I found quite a few working builds, some which worked really well against the leading builds. You talk about there being "one way" to build a mech, but doesn't the three-way defense system work against that? I agree with the SP being mostly boring and with hyped online features being a bust (I just stuck to match making for the most part).

I was feeling kinda alien when RE6 came out and I realized how many people disliked it, but I'm floored at how many people are saying ORC is a better game.

I imagine once the broad disapproval cools into apathy, that is at least one thing we won't have to hear anymore. ORC doesn't seem to have those who appreciate it so no one will be eager to remember it, but it is useful in tearing RE6 down in the present.

As for feeling alien... in the face of the NeoGAF's masses, I find it is either that (or understanding your way of thinking is alien) or outright contempt. Tolerance goes a long way in keeping one's NeoGAF account open, lol. I admit the situation around RE6 can get a bit under my skin even if I go out of my way not be bothered by anything. The hate for it is quite monumental and at times very petty.

That's a tough question. I don't buy anything unless I think I'll enjoy it, and I'm almost always right.

I guess I'd have to say the puzzle game I grabbed from Steam for very cheap that ended up disappointing me. I can't even remember the name, and googling isn't helping. Starts with a "T."

Aside from that, it would have to be some free game I've downloaded. There have been tons of bad ones.

Rune Factory Oceans (PS3): A streamlined Harvest Moon for morons. Awful, awful graphics, a completely nonsensical & poorly paced storyline, crap, overly-easy dungeon combat and tedious, unavoidable, repetative mini-games. It's nowhere near as bad as the worst game I played last year or indeed this entire generation (Hyperdimension Neptunia) but it's still pretty awful.

Really? I'm playing the Wii version now, and while I loathe the dumbed-down farming (and have been disappointed by the boring dungeon design), I couldn't call it a bad game at all.

I think Frontier is the superior console RF title... aside from the Runies, which actually ruined the game for me. (Also, my sister spoiling it all by passing me in my save, lolz.) And I really hope they decide this was an experimental misstep for the series, going forward. But I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

I've been playing siren. It's so damn hard and is now becoming tedious! I'm stuck in a loop! and enemies come back to life! I think I have officially stopped playing it.

Siren isn't a bad game, but it's definitely not for you, and that's okay. I am mildly surprised to hear from anybody aside from me who like those games. (The PS2 originals... I have not played New Translation.) They're not all that nice to the player, and the first game especially has some questionable design choices.

Torraz

I'll go with Virtue's Last Reward. I loved the first game (999), but this one is buggy and has extremely lazy writing. I hate the cheap narrative ploy of the AB rooms:
your teammate always picks the opposite of whatever you pick
. Those situations could be an opportunity to learn about the characters by seeing 1) what they choose and why, and 2) how they react to your choice. Instead, every single person becomes either a smug cartoon villain (if you choose "A") or a hurt puppy dog (if you choose "B"). I've only played through the cyan door paths so far, so maybe this pattern doesn't hold through the entire game. What I've seen so far is very lame.

The numerous "to be continued..." endings are also a major letdown after some of the brutal "bad" endings in 999. There was only one "false" ending in 999, and it at least gave you an icon for your save file. So far in VLR I've hit 3 game overs without seeing a single "ending". I'm having a hard time even playing the game anymore because nothing ever seems to happen.

To be continued is not a real ending. You have to progress on another path to be able to continue. I do agree with most of your points concerning the writing. I much prefererred 999 as well.

Copenap

The Prologue of RE6. I haven't played the full game so I don't wanne judge it mit that prologue was the worst piece of software I have played in a long time. What were they thinking?

Really? I actually find it to be mechanically solid and fun (especially with mouse and keyboard). You can move very smoothly from cover to cover and it feels good taking out enemies quickly. It's not best in class in that regard but it's definitely good.

Yeah it weirds me out whenever somebody says Spec Ops: The Line isn't a good game.

Topic: I haven't finished it yet but Duke Nukem Forever is up there.

NinjaBoiX

The Prologue of RE6. I haven't played the full game so I don't wanne judge it mit that prologue was the worst piece of software I have played in a long time. What were they thinking?
Disjointed, disorientating, poorly paced, ugly, slow, boring, cheesy, urgh, so so very bad.

Nocebo

Guild wars2. Since there was no montly fee I thought I'd try getting into a MMO again. Did the elementalist thing up to like lvl50. Then tried a warrior... Didn't care for the lore, got bored walking around trying to find underwater passages to get at POIs and vistas and stuff. Just walking from point A to B somehow felt like a huge waste of my time. Attacks and skills felt weak, loot didn't excite me either. It just wasn't my type of game anymore.

Gamble

Diablo 3 - wasn't a HORRIBLE game but when compared to the enjoyment I had with D2 I it was lacking. The game seemed WAY too hyped for what the finished product was. I expected at least a longer campaign. Now I have Torchlight 2 to fill that void for me so I'm good :)

persongr

I'm between Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir and Resistance: Burning Skies.

I'll probably choose the first because it is the definition of a bad game (not that Resistance isn't, it just had cool graphics for the most part).

Teletraan1

Banned
World of Warcaft: Mists of Pandaria

Game was fine until I hit 90 and then the dailies really took their toll on me. If you are in an established raiding guild and have a spot you dont need to do them. If you arent then you are forced into do them every day. It was either do dailies or have nothing to do because you arent getting into a raid with heroics gear. After grinding enough gear to get into the LFR and doing that for a few weeks I got no drops. The new LFR comes out that I am unable to do because I have too low an ilvl. I never got any drops from the first LFR and the slow trickle of rep gear which should just be an easy gateway to raiding had such a time sink behind it that anyone who was actually raiding was ahead of the curve but everyone else was miles behind. Then they nerfed my character to hell and back in 5.1. I wasn't even really having fun on that character and decided it was time to stop playing. Hope I never go back.

Gameboy415

Paper Mario Sticker Star

no story, bad gameplay, no incentive to keep playing. horrible game.

Although I wouldn't consider it the worst game I've played all year, I sadly agree with you.
I've loved every other Paper Mario game (even Super Paper Mario) so I was extremely excited for this one but it's been a huge disappointment for me.
Mainly because there is literally no point to battling enemies!
You don't gain any EXP, abilities, or levels by battling and the battle-system itself is quite frustrating.
Case in point: I made it to the boss of the 2nd world/area (
the giant Pokey
)and exhausted my entire supply of battle stickers b/c the boss heals/regenerates itself after almost every attack!
I got so frustrated with that battle that I haven't touched the game since.

I can understand some of the gripes about RE6 - I started with Leon's campaign and hated it at first - but once you get used to the new controls it's actually a lot of fun!
Sure, the story was corny but I enjoyed it for what it was and I liked having all the different characters be playable in one game.

marrec

Banned
Dear Esther - mainly because it's not a "game", per se... rather a walk around an island in the Half Life engine (which does produce some spectacular visuals at certain points) where you hear random story fragments that is left for you to interpret. The lack of any type of traditional game structure or elements (you have no options available to you apart from moving around with the kb+m setup), and an extremely sluggish walking pace means that even if you found the story fragments interesting (I didn't), just getting to them was a total hassle.

Oh! I totally forgot I played this pile of poo. The worst part about Dear Esther is that the little seemingly random bits of narration that you got were all HORRIBLY written. It was sooo bad.

Keby

Metroid: Other M

Picked it up for cheap during black friday.
I really didn't believe the story and dialogue were as bad as people said it was, but oh my freaking god it's like listening to a bad fan fiction.

I actually like the combat for the most part though, minus going into first person.

Top Bottom