• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the worst game you played all year?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
For games released in 2012 : probably Max Payne 3. It's not terrible, but as a whole it's a really forgettable and mediocre experience. Of course this

-The length of the cutscenes
-The content of the cutscenes
-The direction of the cutscenes
-The intrusive nature of the cutscenes
-The unskippable nature of the cutscenes
-The cutscenes

didn't help. I was glad when the credits finally rolled. One of the many disappointments of 2012

Worst non 2012 game I've played is L.A. Noire. Repetitive, boring, terrible interrogation system. Couldn't bring myself to finish it.

Sojgat

The only reason the worst game all of you played this year wouldn't be Resident Evil 6 should be that you haven't played Resident Evil 6.

No.

1349521453874.gif

The combat mechanics are great, and they shine brightest in Mercs mode. RE6 has a lot of problems, but I had a lot of fun with it, I know other people did too.

Alastor

Probably The Walking Dead.

The story, characters, atmosphere - all this in TWD is great. But the "game" part was, for me, lacking. The mechanics were far from perfect, progress was too linear and the importance of choices was mostly fake. When I realised that (around ep 3), it lost much of its charm.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
All the balance changes in this version completely made the game dull as fucking shit. Story mode upgrade was pretty nice though.

Runner up

Persona4Arena.png

Saved by the fact it has a great visual novel style story, the music, and well it's fucking persona. Battle system is a shallow mess though

Ahasverus

Probably The Walking Dead.

The story, characters, atmosphere - all this in TWD is great. But the "game" part was, for me, lacking. The mechanics were far from perfect, progress was too linear and the importance of choices was mostly fake. When I realised that (around ep 3), it lost much of its charm.

lol wat

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. I dunno. I liked most of the games I played this year.

Maybe Just Cause 2 was the least liked. I just got bored. Still enjoyed the time I played it, and might go back to finish up some thing eventually.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
For what I played this year

Homefront(PC): It's a 3 hour game. I didn't think it was possible. It's six stages. Each one full of these annoying scripts where an NPC has to proceed first or else you can't go on. Few bugged, etc. It plays like a poor COD clone. Nothing is re-memorable outside advertisement for hooters, a true American icon and it's Brother, Tiger Direct. Who I have never seen a store for anyways.

RE6 is legit. Steel Battalion is legit. Bayonetta, Just Cause 2 really?!? Even Diablo 3 was good. It may have been disappointing for fans of 2 but it was a good game. Those games may have been disappointing compared to expectations but they were not bad by any means.

Mass Effect 3 disappointed me but it wasn't the worst game I played all year. I quite like the multiplayer which is something I'd never thought I'd say.

Some of the games mentioned seemed to be mentioned for effect.

The thread is titled "What's the worst game YOU played all year?" Not what is the worst game ever. Some people just don't play shitty games so the worst game to them is going to be the most disappointing.

Rolf NB

I really didn't get to play much, but Deus Ex: HR was a real stinker. Dropped it after two hours as well.

Way too cinematicy, both pushy and half-assed on the story front, shit-for-brains gameplay and no glimmer of hope anywhere.

It also looks like a Wii game emulated on a PC. I swear there's got to be a lot of Red Steel code and animations/assets in there. The similarities are uncanny.

deim0s

Hitman: Absolution - disguise system is a joke, story is boring as hell... finished the game, I'm just glad it's over.

Myriadis

His explanation makes perfect sense. I liked it, but it's more of a interactive story than a game.

I haven't played it yet, but isn't the walking dead an adventure game from Telltale games? That would explain everything.

I think the worst game I played this year is Spiderman 2 for the Playstation 2. Bought it (used, of course) because I heard lots of positive stuff about it, but it is a completely horrible, broken game. The only thing that's fun is the web swinging, and even then you mostly tend to hit buildings because the controls are so imprecise. Glitches everywhere and a bland world. The narrator was good.

I only played one hour of RE6, but what I played was actually decent. That was the part where I played as Leon, you kill the president and helped someone find his daughter. But I think the best parts where when you still had full control. I swear, I would've killed the daugther when she suddenly appeared fight in front of Leon if it would've been possible.

TWILT

Banned
Probably Playstation All Stars. Aside from having an highly unappealing roster, the incredibly glitchy online and the UI being really lazy, the game just isn't fun for me. I never liked the super system and it just doesn't feel very rewarding to play, whether I win or lose.

Tales of Graces f is a runner up. The only thing I liked about the game was the combat system. Everything else I thought was either "meh" or just awful.

Before reading what the are game there are several caveats with it:

1) Worst game I have played this year.
2) I didn't play many new games this year, mostly been replaying older games and working through Xenoblade.
3) I'm not saying it's a bad game or trying to the hip kid who doesn't like what others do.

That being said the worst game I played for the first time this year was FTL. Like I said I don't think it's a bad game, and objectively I thought for the kind of game it is it's quite good. I didn't pay much attention to it and thought it was more like Space Rangers or Uncharted Waters: Space Edition. For $9 I didn't care to research it more, and so it's not what I thought it was. I ended up not enjoying it at all, but it's not the game's fault I thought it was something different. Still it's the worst game I played for the first time this year.

Expanding to games I rented, played for 30 min, and then put back in the mail it would be Sonic Colors. The voice that kept talking was annoying, the graphics were way too busy, the constant shift from side scroller to from behind caused me frequent gameplay problems, and the pacing of the sidescrolling seemed badly off (hey you know what's fun in a Sonic game? Stopping so a fan can slowly blow you up to the next fan so it can slowly blow you up to the next fan so it can slowly blow you up to the next fan so it in turn can slowly blow you up to the ledge where you can jump off to get a level collectable and do it all over again).

I havent played many games this year, which is kind of surprising considering I had a ton of free time during Q1. None of the games I played were particularly bad, but my least favorite game was Arkham City. I'm a huge batman comic fan, absolutely loved Arkham Asylum, loved how they chose to reinvent it from Morrison's comic. Loved the design of the characters. The only complaint I had from the original was the last boss.

Waited forever for it to come out, maybe I was just way over hyped for the release. Boyfriend bought me the collectors edition as a birthday present in Nov 2011, but due having a show coming up, I had to work on my sculptures. Finally started playing it this year and it just doesn't feel the same. I find myself bored with every single new character introduced. Absolutely hate Catwoman (and I'm a HUGE Selina fan), hated every boss battle so far, granted I've just
defeated rha's al ghul
. It just doesnt have that same feel as the original. I plan on beating it, but I'm definitely not loving it.

Was also mildly disappointed in SSX, having been a huge SSX fan, I did enjoy it, but not nearly as much as tricky and 3. Granted, I have not yet downloaded the DLC.

As far as favorites of the year, I'm having a blast playing borderlands 2 with my boyfriend. We've been playing it a few hours every night after he gets home from work. It's managed to improve from the original Borderlands in every way.

Zone of the Enders. That game has like 3 different types of enemies, a few different map layouts that don't affect the gameplay in any way, and incredibly simplistic combat. It's terrible.

Even Ninja Gaiden 3 was better.

Zone of the Enders. That game has like 3 different types of enemies, a few different map layouts that don't affect the gameplay in any way, and incredibly simplistic combat. It's terrible.

Even Ninja Gaiden 3 was better.

I was trying to figure out which one was mine, and you figured it out for me. Yeah, ZOE 1 was pretty bad. There was this one part where I had to backtrack so much that I resorted to gamefaqs. It was so annoying. I wouldn't call it horrible though, but it was my worst by far. Certainly felt like it could have been a much better game even at the time. By the time it does get interesting the credits are rolling.

Aretak

Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Bought into the hype about how it was so much better than XIII and fixed all that game's many, many problems. In reality it's an inferior product in almost every way.

Tales of Graces F is another strong contender.

BluWacky

The worst game I played this year was easily X-Men: Destiny. What an absolute waste of time and energy for anyone involved in making this, and of mine for deciding to rent it out of some strange sense of loyalty to Silicon Knights for Eternal Darkness (even though I loathed Too Human!).

Completely unpolished and extremely boring to play in every way, its relentless mediocrity knew no bounds.

antitrop

6AGjj.jpg

The only redeeming feature was the heavy metal soundtrack. Everything else was... everything else. I know a lot of people liked this, but I have no idea why.

This is a hard one to answer. My most disappointing gaming experiences were with Mass Effect 3 (game play changes from 1 & 2) and The Walking Dead (save game bug).

The worst game I played this year is probably Star Wars Kinect but I actually enjoyed it a lot despite what it was.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For me, Halo 4 campaign.

Legitimately disappointing because they seemed to lack the courage to really change things up past a certain point - relying on the Covenant as the primary enemy much of the time. Not playing with the Forerunner/Promethean theme more. Too many bland indoor corridor levels.

Story was messy and incoherent, trapped halfway between digging into the meaty Halo universe fiction, and appealing to people who just want to shoot Elites in a brief campaign.

A real shame, since 4 was the chance for a clean break for the series and they could have experimented - such as trying a non-linear design based off of ODST. Instead, all that talent, money, and production spent on yet another Five Hour Tour (tm) from shooting gallery > cutscene > shooting gallery > cutscene.

DjRoomba

Banned
Yeah, that seems to be the concensus. I'm still going to give it a try when it's cheap enough, I've loved them all so far!

its just dull. I could put up with the history lesson in the previous games cos it was still somewhat interesting, but this just has bad story and bad drama and everything is just too damn buggy in a really noticeable way. As i said previously, i still havent become Conner yet and this is my feeling

SkylineRKR

It has to be Hitman. I don't play a lot of games anymore, and I skip bad games right away. Hitman is a sure buy, and well, I thought it was rather terrible. Worst purchase of the year.

It's likely Quantum Conundrum for me, followed by Limbo. QC was so bland and uninteresting, the dullest game mechanics and just completely unappealing "comedy." Limbo just wasn't a fun platformer, and the gravity that it oozed from every orifice wasn't backed up from the very simplistic, obvious thematic material.

Apenheul

Diablo 3 is certainly my pick for most disappointing, but it's not the worst I've played this year. Ratchet and Clank All 4 One is probably the worst, even considering I got it for free from PSN+. It felt like a dumbed down LEGO *.* game.

Mass Effect 3... and not just because of the ending (I didn't even get to the ending haha). I was a big fan of Mass Effect 1 & 2, but something just didn't seem right with 3. Almost all of the RPG elements had gone, which I was such a fan of in the first game, and the controls were just all over the place. Simply wasn't what I was expecting and a huge let down for me after the awesomeness of ME2.

Halo 4 is a close second. My head was so full of fuck after completing the campaign, and don't even get me started on the multiplayer.

Edit - I almost forgot about RE6. What a fucking discrace to third person shooters and the resident evil series. This might just take the cake.

I was actually surprisingly impressed with Assassins Creed 3. The last game of the series I played was 2, and sure it has it's problems but the graphics and scope of the world along with the detail of the environments were really impressive. Didn't get too far into the game though as I borrowed it off a friend so I'm sure I didn't hit the worst of it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
There weren't really any games I played that I thought were horrible, but...

250px-Paper_mario_sticker_star_box-art.png

What a lazily designed boring game. Thanks to the occasional nintendo charm moments, it has some redeeming qualities like all the other games I played this year, but who thought a RPG with a battle system that is 100% item management, and a story that is just slightly more complex and interesting than the original NES mario platformer would be a good idea?

Dorrin

Diablo 3 - yikes

SR3 - so much hipe about this game particularly from the Giantbomb crew who acted like it was the second coming. It is just so ZZZaaaNNNyyyy!

Need for Speed Most Wanted - boring and rubberbanding galore

XCom UFO Defense - I wouldn't have dreamed this would be here for me. I wanted to love this game so much. I spent hundreds of hours on the original PC version and loved it so much I even bought and sufferred through the original Playstation version when I was without my PC. This game just did not click for me and I don't know why.

Skyrim - uneven difficultry, you are god! you are scrub! mess.

Borderlands 2 - meh.

ME3 - I quit maybe 2/3rds of the way through it, need to go back I guess. Just got bored of it. Really fell off for me compared to ME2 which just got me more and more interested. To put this in perspective I played ME2 all the way to completion twice including once on insanity.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
9YbTS.png

Skyward Bore. I played so much of it, but I couldn't even bother to finish it. It was just so dull and lifeless. I know some people like it, but it just wasn't for me, I guess.

H2Yo

Wow reading this thread is hard without shaking my head.

I hope that the people saying games like Max Payne 3, Guild Wars 2, etc only played those games because that is absurd.

Asura's Wrath.
Don't kill me GAF, please.

Story did not hook me. Gameplay was too short and shallow. QTE's didn't even seem to impact anything at all if you failed them. Sent it straight back the same day I got it...

MrBS

Assassins Creed III - from a technical standpoint the game doesn't even belong on PS360. Performance is ridiculous. I have to wonder if the first few hours of the game was built late cycle just to hide the peformance issues you get when you reach Boston.

There was some fun had, hard not to when there is so much content in the way of side quest and collectable distractions but I wasn't a fan of the majority of the missions and the story is all over the place and as I've stated previously strikes me to be the work of people who have no idea where to take the story. Just reboot the universe alltogether or move on to a spiritual sucessor because current canon creed is done.

H2Yo

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City was by far a worse game than Assassin's Creed 3, Resident Evil 6, Halo 4, Max Payne 3, Guild Wars 2, etc.

Top Bottom