• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your dream localisation?

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
My dream localisation used to be KH 1 final mix and KH 2 FM+ but square made em happen!

Now I'd say Ni no Kuni DS. That one has a full fan translation patch in Spanish already and the English patch is nearly done. After they finish play testing I need to figure out how to rip my cart and apply the patch. It should be glorious.
(I don't see an official localisation of the ds version happening so fan translation is where it's at)

flashman92

Neo Member
So many Sega RPGs

Sakura Wars, Shining Force 3, Shining Force Feather, Segagaga, Valkyria Chronicles 3, Puyo Chronicles

If I had to pick, I guess I'd want Feather to get a translation.

sotojuan

I know everyone says this, but I am considering signing up for JP classes + doing self study as a new year's goal in 2018.

Mostly for games that take a year or so to be translated, but also because I watch a lot of Japanese film and it'd be cool to not need subtitles. Plus, I am probably missing stuff through translation. I realized that 95% of my gaming library is Japanese and for a lot of those games I had to wait quite a while to be able to buy them.

I know it'll take years to even be able to play a game, but learning a language sounds like a cool hobby to have.

Celine

8f6TOJN.jpg
Yep, Sakura Wars 1-4.
Also Live a live, Mother 3, Tengai Makyou 4th Apocalypse.

Ihatovo Mongatari.
This too.
Weird game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Growlanser 1 PSP would be nice. I think nearly everything else has either gotten localized, gotten a fan translation, out has one in progress. That one only has a script for the PS1 version and no patch.

Zero and Ao no Kiseki would probably still be nice to have official releases for as opposed to fan translations, but it isn't hard to see why it's unlikely.

Definitely Zero and Ao no Kiseki. The good news is that there’s a very good chance we’ll get fantranslations for both considering how far along both projects are. I hope and believe they’ll get official localizations, though.

Anime license Super Robot Wars games.
We got one this year and I wouldn’t be too surprised if they kept localizing them for SEA.

cj_iwakura

Growlanser 1 PSP would be nice. I think nearly everything else has either gotten localized, gotten a fan translation, out has one in progress. That one only has a script for the PS1 version and no patch.

Zero and Ao no Kiseki would probably still be nice to have official releases for as opposed to fan translations, but it isn't hard to see why it's unlikely.
Growlanser VI never got translated either.

(If you couldn't guess from my avatar)

I know this has a fairly good anime adaptation as visual novels go, but I was especially unsatisfied by how rushed the entire ending section of the series was, and I want to know what really went down. I need my scientific explanations!

Sadly the only way I see this getting localized is if it gets a port to something that's not Vita. With a sequel coming out (allegedly) next Spring, I would hope they consider it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. A Switch port would be nice since they teased the sequel may come to Switch.

A proper localization of Suikoden 2.
What's wrong with the Suikoden 2 localization? (I haven't played it)

Wizardry: Town of Forsaken Spirits.
There's a translated script, which is likely the best one can hope for, due to the nature of the game.
The Serial Experiments Lain game on PlayStation 1.
Great to see people talking about Moon and Serial Experiments.

I'd like to import Serial Experiments Lain in particular, but it's tremendously expensive on Ebay. Are those prices even accurate to what it goes for within Japan?

ASaiyan

Banned
Now I'd say Ni no Kuni DS. That one has a full fan translation patch in Spanish already and the English patch is nearly done. After they finish play testing I need to figure out how to rip my cart and apply the patch. It should be glorious.
(I don't see an official localisation of the ds version happening so fan translation is where it's at)
Glad to hear they're still working on that. I still remember getting the DS version with the wizard tome from Amazon for 16 USD(!). Unfortunately I can't read nearly as much Spanish as I thought I could, so I am still waiting to play this one, lol.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Almond

deSPIRIA for the Dreamcast.

giphy.gif

Not even a fan translation :(

I think I'll still try and play it someday though even though I won't know what's going on. I loved Hellnight so I wanna play this.

There's a couple games from the Fire Emblem franchise that a LOT of people want localized, especially after Shadows of Valentia launched and was well received (to my knowledge).

Theswweet

Zero/Ao no Kiseki, if not for me (they're why I started learning Japanese, worth it!) then for everyone else since by golly they're some fantastic RPGs.

zulux21

the new final fantasy and dragon quest itadaki street special that is coming out next month in japan.

I will get it regardless and even force myself to learn enough japanese to play it. but I would love an actual english version of it.

I still figure a simple localization leaving the voices in japanese but translating the other elements of the game shouldn't be that expensive, and that the two IPs alone would be enough to sell enough copies to make a profit, but it still seems unlikely SE will localize it at this point.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Hmm~ To name a few:
Opinions are my own haha :p

Little Princess 2 - PS1

xrJlwuL.jpg

Angel's Present: Story of Marl Kingdom - PS2

1WeJpeN.png

Princess Crown - Saturn

8ok7otN.jpg

Zero no Kiseki & Ao no Kiseki - PSP

PXIPhiH.jpg
RjVfZWd.jpg

Suikogaiden 1 & 2 - PS1

JH3UmAP.jpg
Pazu2Nk.jpg

Growlanser 1 - PS1/PSP

q68m800.jpg

Growlanser 6 - PS2

FpVHiMD.jpg

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 & 2 - 3DS

ODn0q8u.png
z0Sbajp.jpg

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - PSP

fdP5d5O.jpg

Devil Summoner - Saturn

mrkKQmJ.png

Shin Megami Tensei If... - PS1

pOnl2uj.jpg

Shining Force III Scenario 1, 2, and 3 - Saturn

8Ovdj31.jpg
yb3nVHo.jpg
fcUJZmm.jpg

Erheller

There's a couple games from the Fire Emblem franchise that a LOT of people want localized, especially after Shadows of Valentia launched and was well received (to my knowledge).

To elaborate:

Fire Emblems 1-6 and 12 were not localized. Aside from 5, all of those games have decent-to-good fan translations.

Fire Emblem 5 (also known as Thracia 776) has two fan translations: one that translates most of the game, but has questionable quality, and another translation that translates the UI and menus very well, but doesn't touch anything else (like dialogue).

The guy who directed FE 1-5 left IntSys after FE5, and created his own, similar, series. These are known as the "Saga" games: Tear Ring Saga, Berwick Saga, and Vestaria Saga, none of which has an English localization. There's a fan translation for TRS I think, and it's been announced that Vestaria Saga will get a localization in due time, but I don't think Berwick Saga has any translation.

Obviously, I'd like official localizations of all of those games. But Thracia 776 and Berwick Saga needsa localizations the most.

Wizardry: Town of Forsaken Spirits.
There's a translated script, which is likely the best one can hope for, due to the nature of the game.
Yeah I’ve tried using it but it just feels so weird. I’m currently learning Japanese though so maybe soon I won’t need it! I just need like $300 to buy it...

cj_iwakura

What's wrong with the Suikoden 2 localization? (I haven't played it)

Great to see people talking about Moon and Serial Experiments.

I'd like to import Serial Experiments Lain in particular, but it's tremendously expensive on Ebay. Are those prices even accurate to what it goes for within Japan?
Yes. It is that rare, they had it locked behind glass at Mandarake Nakano.

EricB

There are so many unfortunately. I guess to give new answers (Yakuza, Dragon Quest XI, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Seiken Densetsu 3 have been taken):

1. Ganbare Goemon 3 (Super Famicom)
goemon3sfc-3l.png

The only Ganbare Goemon I haven't really at least dabbled in.

2. Rhapsody of Zephyr (PC)
zephyr-11a.jpg

A great-looking Korean strategy rpg from 1998.

Neither of these has received so much as a machine-based fan translation.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
To the person who mentioned Suikogaiden 1 and 2, a pretty well-done fan translation of those games exists.

Also speaking about Korean games - the War of Genesis series.

Dunan

Yakuza Ishin is the one set in Meiji-era Kyoto, right? Came out right when the PS4 did? Would it make a good introduction to the Yakuza series for someone who has never played one?

Well besides the obvious choices of Yakuza Kenzan and Yakuza Ishin these are the ones that come first in my mind:

Valkyria Chronicles 3
Valkyria_Chronicles_3.jpg

This one right here. They gave us the half-hearted Azure Rvolution, but not this?

Also speaking about Korean games - the War of Genesis series.
Good localizations of Arcturus, War of Genesis I through III, Astonishia Story, and Rhapsody of Zephyr have been overdue for a long time. I suspect we'll have fan translations for them at some point, but Korean CRPGs just don't get enough attention and Korean fan translators in this scene are rare.

nelo_inc

I would say Shining Force III Scenario 1, 2, and 3 for the Saturn, it's a shame that these great games never got a localisation.

More recently Tales of Vesperia for the PS3 is also another good example, we have the 360 version but is lacking content.

Nowadays it's Ishin, though these threads make me sad and the list only bigger.

I barely know what is what in the pool of unlocalised Goemon games that I've looked up, but I remember seeing an unlocalized Link to the Past clone I would have loved to play.

dadjumper

Y'all sure are into Isshin, huh? It's not bad but I liked 0 better.

For me, I guess it would have to be something in a language I don't understand, but I'm blanking right now. Maybe "Eojjeonji Joheun Il-i Saenggil Geot Gateun Jeonyeok", that one Korean beat-em-up that's pretty well liked, or something exclusive to Europe or something

Shining Resonance is one I own and played a bit of, the combat is pretty enjoyable so I was quite sad (but not surprised) that Sega never did anything with it. I would just play through it, but the character interactions seem to be related to the true ending and trying to do those without being to able read them or save scum them is just too much.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
To the person who mentioned Suikogaiden 1 and 2, a pretty well-done fan translation of those games exists.

Yup! Though would be nice to have them in an official capacity :)

Similar to Shining Force 3 (scenario 1, 2, and 3) and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 haha

jholmes

How in the hell has nobody said this yet?!

250px-CaptainRainbow.jpg

One really odd one that I wish we would have gotten is Segagaga. The self referential nature of it seems so neat. But I probably won't bother to play a fan translation or whatever.

At least Segagaga got a mention.

Itsuki

All of the War of Genesis games. Those games are obscure Korean PC RPG games and the third one sold a lot when it came out. It even won a price and not a lot of single player games earn that price in South Korea.
The first game and the first spinoff called The Rhapsody of Zephyr were localized in Japanese, so I could play those two. But I really, really want to play the the second and third game. I’ve read the story and its so good that it’s a pity the games aren’t available in English...

Top Bottom