• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your dream localisation?

-shadow-

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse
Fatal_Frame_IV.jpg

Most painful part is knowing that this is actually (partially) done. But just sitting on the shelves :(

flohen95

Dai Gyakuten Saiban/Great Ace Attorney
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2/Great Ace Attorney 2
Gyakuten Kenji 2/Ace Attorney Investigations 2
Mother 3/EarthBound 2
Zero no Kiseki/Trails from Zero
Ao no Kiseki/Trails to Azure
Senjou no Valkyria 3 E2/Valkyria Chronicles 3 E2

There's more, but this is the stuff that immediatly springs to mind.

And yes, I know about the fan-translations for some of the games. Would still be nice to see them in an official capacity someday.

And of course I forget about the franchise I like the most and that's actually in my avatar: Fire Emblem. I can give or take FE1, 2 and 3 (due to remakes), but 4, 5, 6 and 12 would be ace to have.

1786752-linda_cube_again_box_front.jpg

Linda Cube Again.

Everybody in Japan, EVERYBODY, says that this is practically the best "cult" RPG ever made, even better than Moon or -insert your very obscure RPG here-. There is a guy making a fantranslation since... maybe 7 years ago and still nothing.

Also yeah, Sakura Taisen as an obscure Japan-only franchise (excluding 5) is a crime against videogame history.

cj_iwakura

Linda Cube Again.

Everybody in Japan, EVERYBODY, says that this is practically the best "cult" RPG ever made, even better than Moon or -insert your very obscure RPG here-. There is a guy making a fantranslation since... maybe 7 years ago and still nothing.

Also yeah, Sakura Taisen as an obscure Japan-only franchise (excluding 5) is a crime against videogame history.
I think EsperKnight is working on this, much like Moon. Just give it time.

It's probably been said a dozen or more times in this thread, but...

Mother 3. Even though I have the fan translated ROM and a repro cart, I want to play an officially translated release on a real piece of Nintendo hardware.

PsionBolt

Lots of folks in this thread not fond of fan translations, huh... Or at least, not satisfied by them.

I understand to a degree -- for example, if you're a physical collector and want official English packaging, or if the game's platform is inconvenient to play modified games on. And of course, there are some low-quality fan translations that would presumably be outdone by official efforts (though they're quite uncommon these days, and the community has recently been getting into a trend of re-doing some older, weaker translations).
But those downsides surely don't outweigh the fact that the game is available in English, do they? That's kinda the most important reason one would ask for a localization. I would have thought that even if fan efforts didn't satisfy you completely, they would at least move the game down on your "dream localization" list behind the myriad other titles that aren't available in English at all.

Mother 3, Seiken Densetsu 3, Valkyria Chronicles 3, Ace Attorney Investigations 2, most Fire Emblems, a few Super Robot Wars, Madou Monogatari, Live a Live, Soma Bringer, Grand Knights History, Beyond the Labyrinth... All of these games, requested in this thread, have fan translations of respectable quality. Don't sleep on them! Dedicated fans put real effort into these projects, and they do it for your sake.

EX Troopers
Capcom pls

I completed this game in Japanese recently, and trust me, If you're interested in playing it, just play it now. The story is maximum anime boring nonsense, so you're not missing out on anything there. The game is strictly linear and mission-based shooting, so you'll be able to figure out the gameplay just fine.

I completed this game in Japanese recently, and trust me, If you're interested in playing it, just play it now. The story is maximum anime boring nonsense, so you're not missing out on anything there. The game is strictly linear and mission-based shooting, so you'll be able to figure out the gameplay just fine.

Also my copy cost 70 yen lol, no joke.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Linda Cube Again.

pong-fist-bump.jpg

*MY MAN!*

The RPGamer review of this game made it sound so sick... one time I was at videogamesny a few years ago and my ex picked the game up on a shelf in the way back, hidden between a ton of other Japanese PS1 releases (mostly stuff like horse racing games or text-heavy dating sims or minigame collections), the "name caught her eye", and I was shocked since it was a game I really wanted for a while.

It's really interesting, you get a party of dogs to fight with you, and you have to collect monsters Pokemon-style to put on a futuristic "Noah's Ark". There are also some strange, almost horror-esque cutscenes sprinkled throughout. I'd love to explore it more, and in English.

Stencil

Boku no Natsuyasumi!!!!!! For now, I have to settle for this (which is honestly much appreciated) video series. It seems like the perfect game series for me, but given how quintessentially "Japanese" it is, I think my desires are in vain and it will never see the light of day here...
if anyone has any recos that would be similar please PM me

Seiken Densetsu 3 (even tho Retronauts say it's not that great) and Mother 3, too, obvi.

Megatron

I couldn't narrow it down to just one.

Secret of Mana 2
Slime hori hori 3
Dragon Quest 10
Mother 3
Phantasy star online 2

For starters.

I'm playing this right now and I honestly think it's the best game after the original trilogy. Thankfully the fan translation is really good.

They need to localize the Great Ace Attorney games too.

For me, Spirit of Justice is the best along with the original trilogy (controversial I know.. apparently Spirit of Justice is a love-or-hate addition to the series). But I put AAI2 right up there too. I absolutely loved it, and it was wayyyyy better than AAI1 in my opinion. So fun, good twists, lots of cameos, fun cases, good music.. can't go wrong.

MKIL65

Touhou Sky Arena

Touhou Soujinengi V

Touhou Genso Maroku W

Oh, and Zero and Ao no Kiseki. But we'll get those eventually!

Aters

Tales of Destiny Remake. Like what the hell Namco?

Everything else I can get through fan-translation or, if it's not text heavy, just brute force the Japanese version.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin.

Uniquely, unlike the other games in the series (dunno about Kenzan), no Chinese localisation exists. The Chinese edition is just the Japanese edition with a physical dictionary.

Stencil

Madou Monogatari, the RPG that the Puyo Puyo folks came from

Never heard of it, thanks for the history tidbit! Looks nuts:
madou-1-2-5.bmp

It's probably been said a dozen or more times in this thread, but...

Mother 3. Even though I have the fan translated ROM and a repro cart, I want to play an officially translated release on a real piece of Nintendo hardware.

Me too. Best purchase ever. Wish it were official tho. But hey, I support Shigesato Itoi by importing his Hobonichi Techo planner every year.

The fan translation is really good. Feels like playing an official release.

It is really good. I played it a year or two ago. But I still really wish it had gotten officially localized :( Makes me sad.

I remember hearing something about how the original development team disbanded right after Japanese release, and that's why it never got translated? I'm not sure if there's any truth to that though. I guess it would make sense though, since translators need to work pretty closely with the development team.

Oreimo Happy End. Holding my phone up to the TV to use Google translate during the message segments was a pain in the arse. I Would love an official localisation of the psp games too.

Amagami is another I would love to see happen.

Top Bottom