• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your geeky pop culture blindspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Never watched Dragon Ball Z, and haven't seen a lot of Doctor Who. Biggest nerd blindspot would have to be DnD. Not sure how I feel about trying it now.

Most things Marvel. The movies are so bland and boring to me (I guess I Dr. Strange is an exception) and having to juggle around 40ish different story lines for each character seems very daunting. I'd say DC too but I like the Batman Animated Series.

EDIT: I like the old Spider Man movies too. Even 3. The dance scene was worth it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I read enough about other topics I'm not into that I wouldn't consider them blindspots. For example, I've seen only one episode of Dr. Who (ironically an episode the Doctor isn't even the star of) but have read enough rants on io9 that I could hold a conversation about Moffat with a Whovian. Same goes for anime, DnD, board games...

But youtubers and twitch streamers who play video games is weird. No amount of empathy will ever get me to even try to understand the culture of watching people play video games or getting invested in their ideals.

kswiston

But youtubers and twitch streamers who play video games is weird. No amount of empathy will ever get me to even try to understand the culture of watching people play video games or getting invested in their ideals.

I get that there is an aspect to game streaming that is similar to watching pro sports. People better than you doing impressive things you can't do yourself. I just think that it is boring to watch.

wetwired

Does anyone else have a geeky pop culture blind spot?

I self identify as a total nerd.. Or geek.. Or.. I don't even know what words you use for that anymore, since its all so commonplace now. It's still odd to me, as someone who grew up in the 80's and 90's. I have a Star Wars and a GI Joe tattoo.. So.. That should tell you enough. Even so, there are things I missed the boat on.. Or just never bothered to watch/read/etc.

First one.. Harry Potter.. I was a huge Lord of the Rings snob, so Harry Potter always seemed like kids crap to me, so I never read the books, and avoided the movies (still never seen one all the way through). I eventually got over the edgy LOTR bias, but by then so many books/etc came out that it felt like way too much of an investment to catch up.

Second.. Doctor Who. Who? Exactly. I'd never even really heard of it until a couple of years ago. Maybe a few times in passing but never knew what it was or what it was about. I was playing Draw Something years ago and someone drew the Tardis and assumed (incorrectly) that "of course I'd know what that is.. I'm a nerd!". Still don't understand anything about Doctor Who, but now know that the phone box thing is a Tardis!

So anyone else.. Something you don't get but the rest of the world seems to?

Yup, Harry Potter and Dr Who, I guess I'm "supposed" to like them but they do nothing for me, I dislike dr who and and impartial to HP.

Buffy is another too, too cheesy for my X-files tastes

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Most Western/Anglophile stuff.

817eb1c056435870c5f67691e8fb4487.gif

mike6467

All things superheroes. I've actively avoided it in fact, none of it ever clicked and at some point I started finding it abrasive.

Crayolan

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to comic book super heroes. When I was a kid most american super heroes seemed so vanilla next to stuff like DBZ and Pokemon, so I never got into them. Batman and Spiderman are okay though.
Also not a Star Wars fan. I've (probably) seen all of the first movie at one point or another in separate chunks, but I never sat down and watched it all in one go. Just never cared much.

Kindekuma

Banned
Pretty much anything Marvel/DC related. All the new Netflix shows, movies, games, etc. I'll ask a question regarding a new movie or mention I haven't seen a specific one and I'm usually met with a reaction that's like "what the hell is wrong with you?".

Streaming, I guess I missed the boat on that and didn't realize it had blown up quite like it did. Will probably remain my blindspot since I'm not into it

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Most Western/Anglophile stuff but comics are the "blind spot" I'm most happy to have. I like to hope its just childhood nostalgia for adolescents and beyond.

How can you make such a pretentious post and have a wrestling avatar?

PaulloDEC

Most Japanese stuff. I've seen Cowboy Bebop and played some Persona games, but that's pretty much it.

Wrestling. I feel like you need to have grown up with it to appreciate the whole weird soap opera thing it has going on.

Anime, comic books (not the movies), Star Trek (not the movies), and Dr Who for me. I did just try watch a couple of episodes of Dr Who recently, though. It seems like the kind of thing I could eventually get into. There are just soooo many episodes out there.

Well, OP covered mine. I saw the first HP movie in theater. Never bothered with the rest. I tried to get into Doctor Who. Gave it a good honest shake, stuck out a whole season. Just wasn't feeling it.

Oh, and CW as a whole, I guess. None of their capeshit shows or other various Implausibly Handsome 30 Year Olds Posing As Teenagers shows ran any sort of appeal with me.

100% Dr Who.

Pretty much all of my other "geeky" friends love it and talk about it but I just have zero interest in it. I sat through an episode one time and it just did nothing for me. I don't actively dislike it or anything like that but I don't feel compelled to take part in it or the fandom at all

Laieon

Comic Books, D&D, Anime, Star Trek, Tabletop Games, Board games that aren't Hasbro or Milton Bradley, Marvel's TV Shows (I liked Jessica Jones, tried watch Luke Cage and Daredevil, those were boring).

Dungeons & Dragons, Magic the Gathering, Warhammer, and to an extent, most table top games. Exception is 40K that I picked up on from games and whatnot.

Same as you OP. Harry Potter and Dr. Who.

I was already near my twenties when the Harry Potter phenomenon occurred. By then I was reading Zola, Marques, Huxley, Hemingway, etc.

And for Dr. Who. I had a incomprehensibly large fear of aliens as child. Even though the shows would air after school, marketed at children, I could not bear a second.

Dr. Who, Buffy, Firefly, Star Trek (ALL incarnations) and Battlestar Galactica (both original and modern version).

Oh, and CW as a whole, I guess. None of their capeshit shows or other various Implausibly Handsome 30 Year Olds Posing As Teenagers shows ran any sort of appeal with me.
It is part of the reason I HATED that post-Scream slasher/horror trend in the late 90s throughout the majority of the 00s. It was like that "formula" hijacked my favorite movie genre. Basically, it is like "Hey, lets get popular, known faces out of Teen Beat magazine and get them to star as main characters." Yeah, while some of that still exists, its to a lesser extent (you still see it with some of the more teen-aimed movies like the first Ouija), but the bulk of it seems to have gotten over that type of shit.

Hopeford

DC/Marvel comics. I just can't keep up or care about them. It's not that they can't tell wonderful stories(they can and they do) but the fact that there is no beginning-middle-end coupled with endless crossovers that make it necessary to read a lot of other comics...it's just not for me.

Like I had people tell me to just follow arcs instead but...eh, I just can't. Doesn't really work for me. I can see how it works for people, but the way the industry is set up just doesn't work for me.

Doesn't stop me from getting into stuff like Fables though.

StoneFox

Most of the Marvel universe be it comics, games, TV shows, movies, etc.
Lord of the Rings
Wheel of Time series (I actually own the first book though... on my "I'll read it one day" shelf)
World of Warcraft

It's kinda weird because I generally like fantasy...

Ogodei

Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Never seen a full episode of either all the way through, and don't really plan to.

Doctor Who and Supernatural.

I mean there are things I just don't follow but like those two are phenomena I doubt I'll ever immerse in.

jstripes

Banned
'70s Baby / '80s Kid

I never got into Podcasts (Night Vale aside), and YouTube/Twitch culture is on another planet.

MST3k. Yeah, never heard of it growing up. When I started browsing the internet I would see "MST-Style" or MSTing fanfics. It wasn't until I got into Rifftrax that I eventually got into its predecessor.

MST3K is one of my blind spots simply because, as far as I know, it never aired in Canada.

I saw an old episode recently for the first time, and all the "riffs" were lame groaners that sound like they come from that annoying friend who won't shut the fuck up.

Now, if I'd seen it when I was much younger, I might feel differently.

I really need to do a deep dive into Dr. Who. It's always interested me but I've never taken the time to get into it. I actually want to sit down and watch everything starting chronologically with episode 1 to current (I am aware that a bunch of the early ones are lost).

marzlapin

I know very little about DC/Marvel comics other than what's been made into film and animation and it just seems like a giant clusterfuck that's not very accessible to newcomers.

I also never got into '90s CRPGs or DnD/any similar type of game.

Ride or Die Dungeons and Dragons, Star Trek NG geek.

Star Wars and Superhero movies, "meh".

Exception is Iron Man I liked the first two.

A former girlfriend got me into Supernatural and I can't get out, but all the rest still seem silly/bad to me.. But.. Damn you Sam & Dean, I can't quit you!

I guess I wasn't ever really into the Marvel stuff before the connected movies came out, a little here and there but I didn't know who an Antman was or Winter Soldiers. I suppose the Disney movies made them more accessible.

Marvel/DC. I will never ever be interested.

Frankly, the omnipresence of superhero bullshit is oppressive. I don't know who has an appetite for that much stuff, but goddamn it is not that fucking interesting.

jstripes

Banned
I really need to do a deep dive into Dr. Who. It's always interested me but I've never taken the time to get into it. I actually want to sit down and watch everything starting chronologically with episode 1 to current (I am aware that a bunch of the early ones are lost).

Honestly, you could start with the 21st century stuff. Since it was after a looong hiatus, they explain enough to get you through.

Apt101

Futurama

All episodic anime that hit the US after about 2003 with the exception of Pokemon, and only then because I had someone living with me who watched it every morning. I know Pokemon was around before that, but it ran on TV forever here.

What's popular on YouTube and social media aside from Reddit. I do use Twitter, but only while waiting in lines and such - maybe 15 minutes a week total.

Doctor Who, Dune, Dark Tower, Star Trek are the big ones I have pretty much zero knowledge on except for stuff like Doctor Who having a phone booth and Dune having sand worms ect.

I don't particularly identify as a geek or nerd, but I share a lot of the same interests and go to the same conventions.

I never got into Star Wars. I was bored by the original trilogy when I saw it as a kid, saw the first two prequels with my family, never bothered to watch anything past that. Sometimes I think about trying to watch the original films again to see if they grab me, but I have such a backlog of movies I'm excited to see that I wonder if it's worth it.

Pretty much all of it, I enjoy the movies but don't really have deep knowledge of them. I watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time about 3 years ago, I thought they were very good but could probably only name maybe 10 characters from those movies. I have yet to read a single comic book and the last anime I watched was Pokemon as a kid.

Star Trek (apart from the two Abrams movies)
Doctor Who (Watched two early Tennant episodes - wasn't for me)
Dragon Ball Z
Naruto
Battlestar Galactica
World of Warcraft
Warhammer

Actually, pretty much all anime except for Cowboy Bebop, Pokémon (as a child), Digimon (child) and Ghibli (and other movies).

Some snobbery happening ITT

Edit: I forgot how much nerdy stuff there actually is.

MMORPGs
MOBAs
YouTube/Twitch/streaming gaming
Dungeons and Dragons
JRPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom