• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your geeky pop culture blindspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never read a comic book but I love manga and have read a few graphic novels if that counts.
Never watched Harry Potter
Never watched any Lord of the Rings movies
Haven't seen Game of thrones
The only Star Trek thing i've ever seen was the 2009 movie
I've seen the Sam Raimi Spider Man movies, first avengers movie, and deadpool. But other than that haven't watched any of the MCU stuff like iron man, thor, etc.
Growing up I hated Transformers so i've never seen any of those series either.

And I didn't really get into Gundam other than G Gundam as a kid. Because I thought I just hated mecha in general. But then I watched the original Gundam movie trilogy recently and loved it.

Star Wars
Star Trek
Dr Who
Superhero/comics
All TV shows (I only really watch F1)
Majority of anime. I've seen a handful of series, such as Death Note, OPM and MP100 but anything about DBZ or Naruto and I haven't got a clue.
Edit: Big Bang Theory is lame as hell (sorry if there are fans in here) I've tried to like it but It's painfully unfunny.
Tabletop games, Warhammer, DnD and all that stuff.

Because I'm a male in my mid-twenties, I'm expected to be into a lot of those, particularly Marvel/Star Wars and it always weirds people out at work when they bring up the new film or trailer to whatever is coming out and ask my opinion and I've gotta say I haven't seen it. Just isn't my thing.

I know my shit about videogames though and can hold my own in a conversation about pretty much any era/genre/series in some way.

My "geek" side is pretty much exclusively on videogames and their OSTs, not that well versed with the "comic con" side of things.

Goldboy

Definitely anything superhero-related. Honestly, just Western comics in general. I know there's a lot of variety, but I've always associated them so strongly with superheroes that I couldn't bring myself to read many of them. I'm pretty much past that now but just don't really know where to start.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much all of it to be honest. I very rarely geek out. I mean, I have passions (and some of them you might call obsessions), but they're not really related to any specific pop culture phenomenon in the general sense.

Well, one notable exception is The Leftovers and its world. Just love everything about that show.

Star Trek. I used to watch it with my dad when I was growing up, but it never seemed as cool as Star Wars to me.
Oh, and Doctor Who. There are a few good episodes, but most of it is just boring as hell to me.

old

Comics.
Anime.

I just don't see the point of comics. No one ever really dies. It always gets revealed later that just before death they were teleported to another dimension just before the explosion...or whatever crap reason to write a death scene for sales then to later bring them back because the character is too much of a brand to throw away. There's no stakes. Batman isn't going to die. All danger is just an illusion and a waste of time. The Joker will never be put away permanently even if he gets caught. All resolution is meaningless.

And anime, not my thing. Don't have any affinity for katanas or mechs or mechs wielding katanas.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Comics.
Anime.

I just don't see the point of comics. No one ever really dies. It always gets revealed later that just before death they were teleported to another dimension just before the explosion...or whatever crap reason to write a death scene for sales then to later bring them back because the character is too much of a brand to throw away. There's no stakes. Batman isn't going to die. All danger is just an illusion and a waste of time. The Joker will never be put away permanently even if he gets caught. All resolution is meaningless.

And anime, not my thing. Don't have any affinity for katanas or mechs or mechs wielding katanas.

This is like saying you don't get movies cus you don't like Superheroes. Comics aren't just Marvel and DC.

When I see people write it as "Dr. Who" my eye twitches a little bit...

tumblr_lz2qa33wHv1r5ku7u.png

Star Wars
MMOs
Tabletop RPGs
MOBAs
Terry Pratchett
Transformers
H.P. Lovecraft if that counts
Anime (I have a couple I like, but that's about it)
Comics (love superheroes, never read comics and don't care to)

Probably others I'm not remembering. And for someone who doesn't really care about Star Trek, I've seen most of it.

I think most of my knowledge of pop culture stuff (comics,manga,anime, tv, games) is second-hand info rather than actually experiencing them for myself (aka I just read about things on GAF I don't know about)

Couldn't give less of a shit about superhero comics tho

Never cared for Star Wars in my entire life. My father made me watch the original trilogy with him and then the prequels in theatres.

Thought I would give Episode VII a shot -- walked out of it 45 minutes in.

besada

Banned
Streaming, Let's Play videos, Transformers/TMNT Cartoon/Tiny GI Joe/Dragonball, MMOs, MOBAs, TCGs, Manga, most anime, 90's Nick cartoons

Some stuff I occasionally enjoy but am not a "fan" of necessarily. Anime is like that. Every once in awhile I'll watch a movie or series, but that's about it. I have no level of dedication to it.

jeemer

agreed on doctor who. i'm from the uk so i've known it since i was young, never liked it.

i like some feature length anime and a handful of series, but i never got the love for shows like bleach, naruto, dragonball z.

i have never played a pokemon game or watched it, zero interest.

i also feel like a dick for it (especially with some of the nerdy crap i'm into) but i can feel my respect levels plummet when i hear an adult talk passionately about wrestling.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Never read any Tolkien. Watched the lord of the rings movies but only because they were big summer movies and didn't particularly enjoy them

Don't read comic books at all

Never watched game of thrones, the wire, walking dead, breaking bad..

ChouGoku

Harry potter, LoTR, Dr. Who, Comic books (I watched the cartoons, played the games, read the wikis, watched the moves. Rarely read the boooks)

Dragonball Z.

Always seemed slow paced with bad art to me. I don't get it.

You should read the manga. Great art, fast pace. Its hard to watch the anime now as a single attack could take 5 mins to happen.

Lol I had no idea it was supposed to be written Doctor Who. I bet that makes your eye twitch even more haha.

It's an understandable mistake if you don't follow the show.

It's more of a 2005 series on thing, but they have dedicated a lot of time in the new series to ensuring you know it's Doctor Who not Dr. Who. It's basically to establish that he's The Doctor not A Doctor. The Doctor is a name he took on willingly.

Just realized I never added my blindspots;

Star Trek - I've always kinda hated it, but do enjoy the JJ Abrams movies.
Lord of The Rings - It's so boring for 90% of the movies. I appreciate the world building and impact it had on Fantasy in general, but it's just so boring.
Firefly - Straight up overrated show.

Roufianos

Star Trek, Anime, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, comics. Not in to any of it.

I think I have a lot of blind spots, I mean I like video games, Star Wars and Game of Thrones but who doesn't?

Exodust

Banned
Star Trek and D&D. Both are influential to a lot of things I adore.

I keep meaning to get into them but get sidetracked, a lot of things I already know because of pop culture in general(especially with Star Trek).

Doctor Who would count, but I honestly can't give a fuck about that.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think 'nerd' as an culture is weird in general, an obsession with hobbies that are just consuming content is a poor basis for an identity.

Having said that, Dr. Who, and I say this as a brit, is complete shit. Badly acted, laughable special effects, terrible plotting and utterly charmless.

Mathieran

Banned
There's so much nerdy stuff I don't think anyone could keep up with all of it.

The main ones for me are Star Trek, Pokemon, and Doctor Who. I've tried to get into them but they never clicked for me.

Having said that, Dr. Who, and I say this as a brit, is complete shit. Badly acted, laughable special effects, terrible plotting and utterly charmless.

I get the impression from people I know that like it that the bad acting and effects are part of the appeal. Its campy, but I'm in agreement with you. It's rubbish.

For me the biggest ones are anime and the obsession with Japanese culture. It just doesn't resonate with me at all. There are elements of Japanese culture I do find fascinating, but it isn't the stuff that geeks and gamers usually tend to love.

I'm also completely uninterested in Star Trek, Cosplay, YouTubers/streamers and Marvel movies, but I do like to read the odd comic from time to time.

For me it's Final Fantasy..... never played a single FF game and honestly don't have plans to. It's not that I'm against them, they've just never appealed to me at all, something about them just makes me perfectly happy to ignore and move on.

Also Star Trek.

espher

Both things in the OP (I tried). Also, comic books/graphic novels in general, for me.

I can watch anime but I couldn't get into reading manga. I think it's something to do with the glacial pace that accompanies manga and comic books that kept me away.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
- Harry Potter: I'll admit never having read the books or watched the movies, but everything about this universe just irks me. It'll never be for me
- Star Trek: at one point I'd like to watch an entire series like TNG
- Doctor Who
- Persona: not seeing the appeal
- Anime in general: I've watched some classics like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Trigun etc in high school but dropped it all entirely.

Pyccko

Nintendo - Haven't invested any real time in their properties since the N64.
All those Arrowverse shows - Never seen a one, can't be bothered.

Bleepey

MST3k. Yeah, never heard of it growing up. When I started browsing the internet I would see "MST-Style" or MSTing fanfics. It wasn't until I got into Rifftrax that I eventually got into its predecessor.

This. The internet praises it but I have never seen an episode.

KHlover

Banned
Netflix.

I don't have Netflix, I'm not interested in it and I couldn't give less of a fuck about the shows they produce.

Media

I'm kinda amazed and saddened by how many people say Doctor Who. I resisted it as dumb and campy for so long, was blackmailed into watching it, and now I'm a huge fan.

snacknuts

we all knew her
DnD, I even had a friend try to get me into. I think the biggest issue was there was just the two of us.

I regret that to this day. DnD seems like such a fun concept. Drinking beer with a group of friends and playing DnD sounds great.

A good friend of mine tried a couple years ago to get me into this sort of things by setting up a weekly Pathfinder game. I was the only one who had never played a game of that type before. I liked the combat stuff pretty well, but I really, really hated the actual role-playing part of it. I stuck it out over the course of 4-5 months while we finished our campaign, but I have zero desire to ever play something like that again.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Probably comics for me. I love comic book movies & TV shows, and am quite knowledgeable about those mediums, but I have never wanted to buy a comic. I just don't like the medium, 5-10 mins of reading a go seems really unsatisfying to me.

Don't feel bad about Harry Potter OP, it's a pile of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom