• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your new year's resolution for 2014?

My wife is a big reader and sets a goal every year of how many books she wants to read. Throughout the year she keeps track of books she finishes and then even writes short reviews for each one. For 2014 I'd like to try to do this with games and try to play some of the ones I have instead of buying so many new ones.

Evershade

1. Day one games only if I really need them, otherwise wait for the price drop and work on the backlog.
2. One game at a time!

Koppai

Number of finished games > number of bought games.
Buy games when they are at least 66% off.

THIS. I wasted so much last year and haven't even played most :(

I gave away MGR Rising that I got for $20 to a roommate for Christmas because I didn't get him anything lol.

1) Cure New Years Day hangover with more beer :)

2) Buy a new TV

3) Buy Wii U

4) PC rebuild + Oculus

5) Work harder on my little Unity game

rjinaz

My resolution is to take a break from video games for the year. I have to get my life priorities sorted out some. It's either no video games for the entire year or at least until Fallout 4 or Monolith Soft X come out because those are the two games I am looking forward to the most. I don't expect either to come out next year so I'll probably take the whole year off.

good luck everybody with your resolutions.

I've been playing a bunch of games lately so probably play and hopefully buy less too. Heading back to school for my Masters so I'll have that to focus on.

Wensih

1. Watch 365 movies.
2. Find a part-time job, or take the Pharmacy technician test.
3. Start Running again. I use to do Cross Country, but since college I stopped running altogether.
5. Spend less time/money on video games.

Pachimari

My new year resolution is to not buy a single game in 2014.
Though, I have prepared myself somewhat and I'll have a lot of games which aren't completed, that I can play if I want to next year.
I'll wish for Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. though.

I might try build my first Gaming PC, as I have dropped my plans of getting a Xbox One next year.

My gaming New Years resolution is to beat my backlog. Right now I only have 7 unfinished games though about 4-5 of them are pretty long. I won't be buying any games if it will put me over 9 unfinished games.

Zoopa

1. Play more singleplayer games. In the last 2 years, I have only bought online multiplayer games. Whenever I play against an AI, I get annoyed too quickly. But I feel like missing many great games and stories that don't focus on online modes.

2. Never have more than 5 unfinished PS4 games at a time. I still have many Xbox 360 games from years ago that I haven't finished due to my online multiplayer addiction. Therefore, I don't want to create a huge PS4 backlog.

3. Don't totally abandon my 360. It's hard now that I have a PS4, especially since all my friends buy PS4s too.

Atomski

Well Im planing on saving money this year so Im planing on buying less games and enjoying what I have.

Which should be fine with the likes of Dayz, Starbound and such..

1. Finish building my beastly gaming PC
2. Finish PS2/PS3 Backlog
3. Stop buying games, and Gamefly the majority of them. Buy them later if I want to play again someday.
4. Giving up buying/renting sports games for a long while
5. Purchase a Wii U when it reaches $200 for Bayonetta 2.
6. Play more 3DS games on my new 2DS.
7. Move in with my girlfriend
8. Get back into watching anime again
9. Get a new job
10. Try an MMO for the first time in my life

Squn

Neo Member
Not buy a single game this year, and clear my backlog of 50+ games (not including the humble bundle stuff I've purchased).

I have a Calculus II and our first kid in April, so my time will be greatly limited. So to be realistic, I'm equating what I spent to buy the game to the amount of money I'm willing to spend for entertainment.

Example: Deus Ex: HR takes about 15 to 20 hours to beat, main quest only. The game cost me $10 on some Steam sale a while back. I'm willing to spend 10$ to rent two good movies, or see a couple of matinee movies, or couple of six packs and few hours with friends. If I hate the game, or completely lose interest, I'll play for 4 or 5 hours before calling it quits and moving to the next one, officially marking it off my list.

Lately, it's been bothering me that I've essentially paid money just to have the title of a game added to a growing list.

I'm in Hamburg since last week. I'm home for a day next week and the next day I'm off to Switzerland for another few days.
New years resolution is coming home - staying home - playing games.

I have to play Rayman Legends, Tearaway, AssassinsCreed4, Killzone Shadowfall and Battlefield4.
Haven't completed either of those.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Switch back to PC Gaming. Not exclusively, but for the majority. I've been mostly on consoles the last few years, but it's time to be healed once more.

edit: Ooh, yeah. Play more JRPGs!

These 2 things are gonna be pretty hard to do at the same time...

1. buy a PS4 infamous bundle, make it a different color Sony please :p

2. Build a gaming PC, its time I have one.

3. don't buy much games day one, wait for bombas

4. don't have a huge backlog

5. play as king k rool in smash brothers B^)

Mihos

Gold Member
Gaming wise:
Complete FF IX and XIII-2

Obtain my first platinum trophy (if anyone knows of one I don't need to play online it would help!

Save for a PS4

XIII-2 is actually one of the easiest platinum trophies to get... it is also my only platinum so far.

z1ggy

- Finding a less demanding job
- Finishing the building of an apartment to rent it
- Getting back to console gaming with the Wii U, after 10 years without touching one (i need a Metroid/F zero annoucement tho)
- Maybe...have a kid

So I've been thinking about this since my last post, and I'd like to make an addendum. I've always been really jealous of the people who dedicate themselves to just one game at a time, and for long, long periods of time. Think the people who thrash just DOTA or StarCraft 2. I'd like to try and get as close to that as possible.

So, not only am I going to limit the number of games I buy, I'm also going to limit it to things that I can dedicate myself to. I also plan to just clear out my backlog ASAP in order to accommodate this.

If only I could gift on all the Steam games I don't want.

EDIT: Also, no trade-ins. This is because I should only be buying games I actually want.

1. Graduate College
2. Get a Job
3. Chip away at the back log (was supposed to do it this xmas break but got caught up in Warframe randomly, PSN+ free games, then now Xmas sales. Suddenly added around 9 or more games to said backlog)
4. SAVE MONEY

Top Bottom