• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Did You Realise Your Favourite Game Was Something Special?

Nothing to offer? Did you even check the dresser?

For me, it's the same game, but it's when you get to Happy Happy Village. It went from being a kind of quirky game to being downright weird and I loved it.

Of course I did. The devil child story. I meant it had nothing to offer in terms of items or inventory, but at that point I understood what was really amazing about the game.

MikeyB

Catching sick air in Road Rash, landing on an NPC, hitting a cow and skidding for 100s of metres all to that rockin' soundtrack.

Thud

From the opening to the title screen, then on to the map screen and into the first level of Yoshi's Island.

So much fun.

Kiro

Super Mario rpg: realizing every NPC had dialogue and every character had a very detailed back story. Man that game.... another level.

kuvaldis

Neo Member
MGS - guards follow your footsteps on the snow! I was like 9 years old and seen nothing like this before

Viewtiful joe - the moment I've seen screenshots in game magazine!

Devil may cry - first scene in the bar

poodaddy

When I heard Frog's theme and realized there was so much more to him than just being a humanoid Frog. Or maybe it was when I got in the Epoch.....or maybe when I prepared to fight Magus and felt a chill run down my spine as the music told me this guy wasn't to be trifled with. It could of also been when I started bobbing my head to Robo's theme instinctively. Hard to say which of those is the most predominant.....

cj_iwakura

The title screen.

2-SMT002.jpg

Virtue's Last Reward (SPOILERS)
When Tenmyouji took out the picture of Akane to use it on a face recognition device. I didn't realize that Tenmyouji was Junpei at that point, but that moment connected VLR with 999. 999 was my GOAT at that point which I'd played about a month earlier. The seemingly unrelated second Nonary Game started to click in at that moment, and it was the beginning of the magnificent crescendo that was VLR's ending.

Dragon Quest VIII - Walking around the overworld map for the first time was an awe inspiring event. There's much beautiful area to traverse, and something about the scope and the art just brings it all together into a place I didn't just want to explore, I wanted to see all of it. Can't wait for XI, I hope they can bring that same sense of wonder and exploration back.

Chrono Trigger - When Chrono
dies
and you start tearing up over a character that never says a thing in the entire game. And Trigger had a lot of stuff like that, tons of moments and bits of music that just pull you in and really make you feel for the characters or the world they're in.

2) World of Warcraft - Getting the boat from Teldrassil to Darkshore. I literally had no idea how big WoW was when I first started playing it. I remember having a lot of fun playing in Shadowglen, and thinking that it seemed like quite a big gameplay map full of lots of cool stuff, including a giant capital city on the other side of the island. Someone then showed me how to get to the docks where the boat to Darkshore arrives, and I thought that was cool enough on its own. When actually I got to Darkshore, there was a moment when I took a look at the map and suddenly understood that everything I'd played so far was basically a training area, and the full game size was almost unimaginably big in comparison to this. It was around this time that some explained that the other boat docking in Darkshore took people to a whole other continent! I'm pretty sure that was the point where I became hopelessly addicted to the game, not just because it was very clever at using the old 'just a bit more' gameplay system, but because it was one of the most fun and amazing games I'd ever played.

Funny, it was the exact same moment for me with World of Warcraft. I got there a little early because I wanted to finish one of the longer quest lines that extends from Teldrassil into Darkshore. It was way too difficult, but I played as a rogue and I sorta managed to get it done eventually because I was sneaking past a lot of shit that would've taken ages otherwise. It was a great moment (and Darkshore remains one of my favorite zones). Probably ten years ago now...

With Dark Souls I had a similar moment when I finally managed to make it to the Undead Parish (after having restarted the game a bunch of times over a year or two, not managing to get into it). When I got to that particular zone I was filled with feelings I hadn't experienced for a long time in video games. The stakes were high (carried a bunch of souls), the leveldesign just blew my mind (how much is there to this game? And how can it be this good?) and the combat started to really click (this is like Diablo but with actual combat).

Numb

Watching countless matches a 1yr+ before it's released and never getting tired of it even having spent the last 3yrs playing it after it's release.
TTT2.

Dunkley

This, tho I only played the Golden version so the epilogue works to give you some closure.
But seriously. This game was bad for my health. My heart was broken so much in 85 hours of gameplay that I was exausted by the end of it. The good kind of exausted tho.

It's why I actually mentioned the Playstation 2 version since I played through Persona 4 the first time just a year after it released on the PS2. Playing Golden a few years later was great for the Epilogue exactly for that closure, but back then when it was just the Playstation 2 version (which doesn't have Marie or the Epilogue), I was just left at the end with this nice, but also sad feeling thinking about how all the characters evolve and grow from there on out without any official or canon explaination of how it continues past that point.

And that made me realize how special Persona 4 was to me, that I was so attached to the characters that I wanted to know what happens next, even if it's just my own imagination thinking about how it continues for all the characters I helped realize something about themselves,
if my protagonist will ever see them again and such.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sine Mora (I'm one of the handful of people who actually played it to death) when flying over the capital and fireworks go off in the background and epic music plays.

Dark Souls when fighting the first black knight in the Undead Burg. Loads of other moments too from that game but that was the hook.

Destiny when playing the Vault of Glass for the first time (even though I've grown to become very bored of the game now).

Titanfall when finishing top in a match!

I can't list games for shit so have some examples of games that will never leave me

Ocarina of Time: Stepping out into Kokiri Forest and hearing the music, seeing all the little fireflies fly around, exploring and then BAM, Great Deku Tree dungeon. Zelda in 3D was amazing as fuck.

Metroid Prime: Doing all that stressful escaping from the space station and then landing on Tallon IV, hearing the classic Metroid theme remixed like that, raindrops on your visor, it was fucking amazing. Helped that I essentially went in cold as well.

I came here to post some very specific things, and then realised I didn't need to as you'd already done it for me. Those raindrops.

StayDead

When it was being broadcast live on Telivision in South Korea with huge prize pools backed by huge Conglomerates like KT Telecom and Samsung. Broodwar is pretty damned amazing. I still play it 17 years after it's original release and I doubt I'll ever stop.

Qasiel

Link's Awakening: Learning the truth of Koholint Island.

LA was my first Zelda game back when I was a wee nipper and the only reason I picked it up was because I liked the sword and shield on the cover. After reading the mural just before the 6th dungeon, my mind was blown. I was already impressed with its story, side-quests, items etc. but having this plot twist thrown at me was when I realised just how lucky I was when I decided to get the game. It was that moment I realised there was more to video games then just making a plumber run right and jump over holes.

that moment when you realise that you love puzzling out how to enter a building without being seen by the patrolling guards or security cameras or search lights. Metal Gear Solid was that revelation for me. So good. So good in fact I bought a PS2 for MGS2 and a PS3 for MGS4. The streak is only let down a little as I am getting MGS5 on PC but the love is still there.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I was having a fantastic time playing OOT, I had the three gems, so I went into the temple; I thought that I would remove the Master Sword, one last dungeon and it would be over. Then:
FUI7cXq.png

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! I was only 13 at the time and my body couldn't handle the awesomeness. Link grew up, he was a badass, you were in a post apocaliptic world, there was Ninja Sheik, Zombies, you could hold the big shield correctly, double damage with your sword, ride your horse, that awesome Forest Temple, Bow and Arrow, Magic, the hookshot.

So much awesome condensed in one game.

The final image of the 108 stars ending in Suikoden 2. The best thing JRPG's can do and should do more often is have you go through this long journey with characters you care about and that last shot is sooooooo satisfying.

Astery

At the moment when I decide to buy a game that seems to fit my cup of tea based from dev interviews and trailers.

Figaro castle's first dive in FF 6 - had never experienced that kind of epic story beat in a game before. Was pretty sure at that point the game would deliver a lot more (and how!).

Purifying Shinshu field in Okami.

There's quite a few moments I've had like this.

FF9: this one I enjoyed throughout the entirety, and on viewing the ending in had the feeling of a very complete tale. Quite a sense of resolution that I don't really get that much anymore.

MGS: Basically the moment is started playing. I didn't read gaming magazines at the time and my local rental store had some cardboard cutouts for MGS - for some reason I thought it was a racer, and it blew me away when I actually got stuck in!

GTA Vice City - my first after school evening spent racking up six stars for an hour-long rampage, whilst chatting with friends on MSN who were doing exactly the same thing.

Sonic & Knuckles - I loved this one just upon seeing the sleek logo the game had, and then the boss music (for stage 2) came and elevated in even higher. Then the Metal Sonic boss fight (as Knuckles), for me, remained the pinnacle of my childhood gaming until I got stuck into the PS1 library.

Top Bottom