• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full price for a new release? How do you feel about the prices of upcoming games?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've been scrolling through the pre-order section on PSN to check out some of the games that have been recently announced on SGF, and some of those prices genuinely leave me speechless with how ridiculous they're getting.

Especially the Ubisoft games, like Avatar. I dunno what's the situation over at the land of the free, but on my side of the globe the prices for this game are as follows (after conversion):
Standard: 84 USD
Gold: 121 USD
Ultimate: 143 fuck-mothering US dollars

bh187-blade.gif

I literally don't know what to say. It almost feels offensive that they would have the balls to ask that much for this shit.

I bought a grant total of 3 games on release this year. One of them at a significant discount because I was able to snatch some free PSN cards that covered about a third of the price for Resi 4. The other two were Dead Space and Jedi Survivor. But for the rest of it I usually just wait for a discount, the size of which will depend on how badly I want to play something.

But with these obnoxious prices being what they are, it gets progressively more difficult to convince myself that it's at all worth spending 80+ dollars on a single game, even if it's something that I'm really excited about. And it's not even that I can't afford it, because I can. But at this point it really feels like getting buttfucked without so much as a reacharound.

Kupfer

Dead Island 2 - retail 55€
Was worth it.

But I will never pay 80€ for a digital user license, where the respective provider could cut his offer at any time or in the worst case, with server shutdown, everything goes down the drain.

However, 80€ for a retail game in a fancy steelbook with a few extras is something else.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Baldurs Gate 3, bought the EA version for the full price. I DID however have more reasons to do so other than "i can't wait to play this!", namely knew people who called me to play it with them at release. My sister was also interested in the game and wanted to see how it ran on her notebook.

That said, game costs 200 brl here, which should be around $40.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
TotK £48 from The Game Collection day 1.

I would have bought it for more.

If the game is GOATed like a Zelda game, Smash, Mario Kart or a From game I’ll buy it day one.
Yeah, hard to go wrong with those Nintendo franchises. They give you exactly what you want.

Quasicat

I buy Nintendo games at full price and will usually get them day one since the price rarely ever drops and I know I will want to play it sooner rather than later. Everything else I will wait a year or two before getting it on sale. There are some exceptions, like Starfield, but on a whole that’s how I do it.

I just bought Diablo IV, but it's incredibly rare that I can't wait these days for a sale or Gamepass or PS Plus. I'd like to play Final Fantasy (even though I cringed my way through the demo -"Wyvern Clive you are not allowed to die today" etc.) but that needs to be $30 or under really.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

In France it's easy to get the newest AAA game at 55/60e day one at retail.

I had the opportunity to buy FF16 two days ago, before the official street date, so I had to pay the full price for it this time.

And I have absolutely no problem paying 80 euros for a game that costed hundreds of millions to make and will entertain me for dozen of hours when a movie ticket is around 20e in Paris.

Sounds like you're in the wrong land. FF16 is the last one I bought, but with so many releases I do put off getting some games. I still plan to get Dead Space, RE4 and Dead Island 2 for example.

Off the top of my head I've bought a handful of games at release/MSRP this year. Thinking.. FF XVI(100), Prime Remastered(40), Pixel Remaster (75), Tears of the Kingdom (70), and RE 4 Remake (70? Or 60?). Most times I'll wait for a good sale though, it just depends on the game. Sometimes I want it day 1, but I have a lot of older titles to get to, allowing newer titles to become older in the meantime.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

It’s been a while. I don’t pay full price anymore or pre order. I really liked the FF16 demo, but I’m waiting until it’s on sale. I’m done with Subscriptions as well. Letting my gamepass and PS+ run out. Not worth it anymore.

cireza

If I want a collector's edition then there really isn't any other choice but to pay full price at launch. Unless I want to pay triple the price on eBay later.

Picked Loop8 recently, currently playing it :

91E34RxRhyL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:

Gorgon

I rarely pay for a game at full release price, although in very rare occasions I do (however, years can go by without me doing it). Games worth the full release price are maybe three or four per generation as far as I see it, let alone per year. So, I just wait for the 30-50% discounts minimum.

Also, I pre-order nothing.

Nico_D

Hogwarts was the last - and the first in a long time. I did buy Aliens: Deep Descent yesterday but that isn't "full price".

I won't buy new games for 80 €, that's for sure. 60-70€ and I'm in if I really want the game day one. But psychologically, I think, if people are willing to wait for a sale, they will get over the hype and the "I really, really want" period and they end up waiting longer. This has happened me a lot: I think I'll wait until it's 50 € and when it's that, I decide to wait until it's 30 €. In the end, I may even end up passing the game.

Now, if the games were slightly more cheaper, I could've been suckered to buy it at, say, 70 €. In the end, I pay 30 € or less.

Kvally

Banned
I've been scrolling through the pre-order section on PSN to check out some of the games that have been recently announced on SGF, and some of those prices genuinely leave me speechless with how ridiculous they're getting.

Especially the Ubisoft games, like Avatar. I dunno what's the situation over at the land of the free, but on my side of the globe the prices for this game are as follows (after conversion):
Standard: 84 USD
Gold: 121 USD
Ultimate: 143 fuck-mothering US dollars

I literally don't know what to say. It almost feels offensive that they would have the balls to ask that much for this shit.

I bought a grant total of 3 games on release this year. One of them at a significant discount because I was able to snatch some free PSN cards that covered about a third of the price for Resi 4. The other two were Dead Space and Jedi Survivor. But for the rest of it I usually just wait for a discount, the size of which will depend on how badly I want to play something.

But with these obnoxious prices being what they are, it gets progressively more difficult to convince myself that it's at all worth spending 80+ dollars on a single game, even if it's something that I'm really excited about. And it's not even that I can't afford it, because I can. But at this point it really feels like getting buttfucked without so much as a reacharound.
I pay full price for EVERY SINGLE one of my games, and I buy them on DAY ONE. I have over 1000 digital games in my Xbox/PS library.

I bought physical totk day one. Played it for like 1 hour.

Before that, re4 , also played for about an hour.

Paid full price for Bloodborne on PSN recently and regret nothing. Doesn't really count since I'm 8 years late to the party.

Gonna buy ac6 day one and pay full price, and I will definitely play that for more than an hour.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The last one was Resident Evil 4 remake.

It's my frontrunner for GoTY so far, so yeah I was pretty satisfied.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Crisis Core - No regrets
FF16 - I will love it
Octopath 2 - No regrets
Callisto Protocol - Regret it fully. I bought into the hype and by the time the reviews hit, my order was processed and I gave it the benefit of the doubt. It needed about 5 more enemy varieties, and more scares like DS to be better, and it couldnt do that.
Horizon VR - No regrets
God of War Ragnarök - No regrets
Zelda TotK - Kids love it, no regrets.

Last edited:

Gandih42

I don't mind paying full price if I feel the game is worth my time. But I'll typically only do it if there's a limited/collectors edition I'm interested in (ToTK and FFXVI recently).

Overall I think even some of the shortest games are amazing value, assuming they are not broken, full of cash-shops GaaS, and the like. But I'd like to see the actual Devs get more of the benefits from a games success before I'd feel comfortable paying full price for every release.

Paid full price for Diablo IV Ultimate Edition. I think it was about £90. Don't regret it.

Also "full price" for TOTK. I had it preorderd at £60 but Amazon only charged me £52.

Prices of games don't bother me. I will happily pay full price for a game if it's something I'm hyped for but I can easily wait for games to go on sale.

Last edited:

baphomet

If I want to play a game I'll buy it day 1.

If I had to put that much thought into spending $75 on something I'm going to get hours of entertainment out of, I'd probably think real hard about why I'm in that situation.

I bought FFXVI the other day but haven't had a chance to start it yet.

Games cost more 30 years ago than today, even without adjusting for inflation. Not even considering stuff like the Neo Geo which would be like spending $400+ for a game today.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Last time i paid SRP was before Steam, i think it was C&C Red Alert. Nowadays it super easy to save some money with VPN, even on PS. You can preorder Spider-Man 2 for ~30 Euro on the Turkey Store for example or Xbox stuff with Argentina, Brazil and Turkey keys.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I only got 1 full price game this gen. Can't remember witch one, but 80 euros ist still too much. So i usually wait for discounts or second hand.

Chastten

Banned
Diablo IV - Usually don't pay €70 for a digital game but wanted to play with friends so decided to make an exception. Enjoying it, so it's all good. No regrets.

Otherwise I usually only pay full price for Collector's Editions - this year that would be Tears of the Kingdom, Trinity Trigger and Fire Emblem Engage. Every non-CE Switch game can be bought physically for anywhere between €45 and €55 if you look around a bit.

ssringo

All the time. Thing is, it's rarely the big name AAA games I'm buying at full price. This year has been rather busy though. <3 Capcom <3

As far as pricing goes? Price at what you think is fair. If I agree I'll buy. If not it'll get wishlisted and maybe I'll buy it down the line. Both Diablo 4 and FF16 seemed fine to me so I bought them and i dont regret either. Horizon FW and Sony's PC releases? Nah.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I used a voucher on Totk but I would have no issue paying $70 for it.

It is worth it. Game of the year.

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak on Xbox.

Before that, got Elden Ring day 1.

Where I live, new games cost a good chunk so it better be good for a day 1 purchase.

Would gladly pay for Starfield, but it's on gamepass, so will buy season pass instead.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
97 euro for ff16 deluxe (including shipping) so on the expensive side.
Before that RE4(steam) Hogwarts(ps5), before that forspoken(ps5). both normal editions.
Dead Space remake I got on a discount for 45eur

Ar¢tos

Full price?!
Ha ha ha ha ha
The max I'll pay for a AAA game is 20€.
The max I'll pay for an indie/AA game is 10€.

Until the games reach that price I'll entertain myself with my backlog and PS Extra catalog.
(the only exception is From Software "souls", but those are one every 4 years)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Today for ff16 but it's my fault, there was a promotion to pay less just by preordering the game in another place that i was unaware of.

I usually never pay full price for anything.

This year so far is RE4 Remake, Zelda: TotK, Diablo 4 and FF16.

Games are expensive but I can afford it so it's fine. I'm not buying a game every week and like many others, I wishlist a lot of them and get them on sale when they are not as appealing as the ones I listed previously.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
FF16
Diablo 4
Zelda TOTK
Jedi Fallen Order
RE4Make
Dead Space

Got them cheaper because physical,
bought SF6 digital on PSN.

No regerts. Except for Star Wars.

Jesb

I don’t. No need to with the ps+ library around. But I’m not crazy into gaming like I once was. Still also still on ps4.

DaGwaphics

Last two games I bought day one were Madden 11 (2010) and Resident Evil 5 in (2009). It's not something I do often, games "release" for me when they get around $30 or less or get added to GP or Extra.

Last edited:

Aenima

Last one was FFXVI, but paid 68€ for the physical version. This is my full price, not the 80€ they ask for the digital version.

I used to buy much more games day 1 last gen. With the games raising from 60/70€ to 70/80€, im much less temped to purchase a game day 1.

This year, FFXVI was the only day 1 purchase and only Like a Dragon Gaiden will be another day1 purchase, if they launch a physical version in europe. If digital only i wait for a promo.

GHG

Literally yesterday - FF XVI

Other games I've paid full price for this year:

SF 6*
Diablo 4
System shock remake
TOTK
Shadows of doubt (this is an indie budget game but still got it day 1)
Hogwarts Legacy
Atomic Heart*

*3rd party keysites so slight discounts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom