• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full price for a new release? How do you feel about the prices of upcoming games?

ClosBSAS

lol what? i dont even question this shit ..ALL AAA releases for me from thebig ocmpanies are day one for me, ALL. i make lots of money so i can buy 10 games per month.

Bridges

I said I'd never buy $70 games and then proceeded to buy Marvel Midnight Suns, Modern Warfare 2, Tears of the Kingdom, Street Fighter VI and Diablo IV.

I am, unfortunately, part of the problem.

Street Fighter 6, but it is a $60 game.

I have a very hard time justifying $70 for any game. I know I’ll fucking love Diablo IV but I am sure as fuck not paying $70 for it.

So now I wait on sales.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
For me, whether or not I have time for a game is a far bigger concern than the price. If I want a game and I have time to play it, I buy it.

Games are so cheap for the amount of value they deliver compared to every other form of entertainment. Taking my family to a movie is like $60-70 after snacks. But a game that is gonna give me 40+ hours feels like a bargain at that same price.

JayK47

Rarely. Maybe twice a year I pay full price, usually as part of a pre-order. Hogwarts and the latest Atelier game this year, and that is likely it. As you mentioned, these multi-tier priced games are insane and I tend to wait for the complete game to be around $20 before I bite. And these days that is really taking a long time and I may just never play a game otherwise. The multi-tier crap really pushed me away. I feel like the base game is missing parts and you need all content to get the full experience. But in most cases the extra content is just pricey garbage. But how will you know unless you buy and play it?

AmuroChan

Last few games I paid full price for were Hogwarts, Ragnarok, and FFXVI. Next game for me that I'll be buying day 1 is Trails into Reverie.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Come to think of it, I bought RE4 Remake actually twice for full price on release. One physical and the other digital because I thought the physical won’t arrive in time for the weekend - which it actually did…

Still no regrets. Capcom did gods work on this game.

KillaJamm

Yeah prices are ridiculous these days, I had Zelda pre ordered because it's Zelda so you know its going to slap. Also got MK1 and Alan Wake 2 preordered as both are in series I love. What I do usually do is wait a few weeks and pick it up second hand on FB market place, just got Jedi Survivor for £30 today, bargain.

This year has been unusual for me, as I typically don't buy games new at full price. Before this year the last game I bought anything full price for a new release was Elden Ring.

FFXVI Deluxe - $100
We Love Katamari Reroll - $30
TOTK Collector's - $130
Metroid Prime Remastered - $40
Fire Emblem Engage Divine Edition - $100
Crisis Core: FF7 Reunion - $50

And I will likely pay full price for Silksong, Sea of Stars, FF7 Rebirth, and Super Mario RPG remake.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game prices at $90 in Canada. Add tax and you break $100 (unless you live in Alberta where tax is I think "only" 7%. The rest of the country tax is about 13-15%).

No thanks. I'll wait for deals and and also game share for half price. Only for games I really need to play I'll go half/half with my friend at launch.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I paid full price yesterday for early access Baldur's Gate 3. Want to play around with the character creation stuff before it goes live.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Diablo 4. Worth every penny. I'm fine with current prices. I don't pay full price 98 percent of the time anyway.

Yep. Awesome game. Paid for the deluxe edition for early access.

Will be doing the same for Starfield.

no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo-2663.jpg

Last one was GT7 on release day as Im a big GT fan. Otherwise I cant justify it anymore and now Im waiting on GOW Ragnarok, RE4R, Diablo 4 and FF16 t go on sale. I used to buy day one, used to buy all physical but now that Im almost 100% digital, I just wait for sales.

MikeM

I’m largely done except for some exceptions. Now that I have a PC, these $10 gaming deals are amazing.

That, and factor in day 1 adopters are basically paying to beta test, its making it an easy choice to not pay full price anymore.

El Muerto

Like A Dragon: Ishin. Before that i couldnt tell you. I'll buy the game day 1 if i know i'll love it. I'll either rent or wait for a price drop for a game i want.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Thanks to the voucher I did get TotK at 50, but I would've gotten it at 70 if I had to.

What's good about Nintendo games is that they don't lose their price at least for a year if not two.

brian0057

Banned
Back when the term "expansion" still had a meaning.
So games nowadays can cost whatever they want. I'll just wait for them to drop in price.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I've been scrolling through the pre-order section on PSN to check out some of the games that have been recently announced on SGF, and some of those prices genuinely leave me speechless with how ridiculous they're getting.

Especially the Ubisoft games, like Avatar. I dunno what's the situation over at the land of the free, but on my side of the globe the prices for this game are as follows (after conversion):
Standard: 84 USD
Gold: 121 USD
Ultimate: 143 fuck-mothering US dollars

bh187-blade.gif

I literally don't know what to say. It almost feels offensive that they would have the balls to ask that much for this shit.

I bought a grant total of 3 games on release this year. One of them at a significant discount because I was able to snatch some free PSN cards that covered about a third of the price for Resi 4. The other two were Dead Space and Jedi Survivor. But for the rest of it I usually just wait for a discount, the size of which will depend on how badly I want to play something.

But with these obnoxious prices being what they are, it gets progressively more difficult to convince myself that it's at all worth spending 80+ dollars on a single game, even if it's something that I'm really excited about. And it's not even that I can't afford it, because I can. But at this point it really feels like getting buttfucked without so much as a reacharound.
Price is a problem.. is no THE problem.. its a luxury hobby and like everything after the pandemic has become more expensive, technology is advancing and people simple want more and more costs money!! No way around that, and be prepared for the next consoles, I feel that prices will go up all around.

Having qsaid that, no one should pre order MOST games nowdays, they come with bugs, missing features and graphical modes, the culture has changed and upgrade your game through out the first months is pretty acceptable by the community (it shouldnt by the way but it is what it is) so I have money to buy all the games I want at launch, BUT will never do! Knowing that in 6 months ill probably play a better and more complete game often times cheaper.

And now with subscriptions??? Well... thats another subjective all together, it also changed my buying habbits... a lot

Last edited:
Just paid a hundred for FFXVI DE because I'll pay whatever for things I like. Still doesn't mean I'd ever blindly get tons of new, day one games.

Phase

It was for Death Stranding. Looked so different and fun, and it was! I don't regret the purchase, but haven't paid more than $15 for a game since (and that was Battlebit just recently).

GermanZepp

Zelda breath of the wild (played this year but paid it without discount). And before that elden ring. Took a day off to play it and everything. No regrets.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Today I paid $100 cad after tax for FFXVI. Also bought Zelda TOTK.

Make a quality game and Ill have no problem buying it.

Last edited:

gatti-man

I buy new games whenever I want. They are cheap as hell given inflation. Simple truth is if everyone waits the games you like don’t get made anymore. I’ll support the genres I like that aren’t Uber mainstream.

Paltheos

Street Fighter VI last week and Tears of the Kingdom last month.

$70 for big releases should have been the norm years ago. People are just pissy about it.

I usually buy the majority of my games physical so the prices usually don’t bother me much. If it’s a must have, I’ll generally buy it day one even at $70. If it’s not a must have for me, I can typically wait for a decent sale. I do try to support the developers whenever I can, but buying used is an option as well especially if I can’t get a good price on the game or if I’m really not too sure about it. With that strategy, I rarely if ever have buyer’s remorse and I buy a lot of games.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Worth every penny.

Before that was Hogwarts.

Before that, Elden Ring,

Then I’m using Gamepass and PS+, got both services cheap, plenty of games to play there.

GloveSlap

So long that i can't even remember. It might have been The Witcher 3 or Doom 2016.

Edit- I think Red Dead 2 actually

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Last time was Zelda TOTK

Personally I think console game price is too low. Wouldn’t mind paying $100 or more for a single copy of PS5 game

acm2000

Last time I paid full RRP for a game will be the last console I bought launch day, Dreamcast, and thus sonic adventure.

Outside of that games were always traditionally discounted before launch in uk especially the 360 era being as low as £32 instead of £50/60

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
I bought BOTW full price back when it came out.... I think that's pretty much it (and I don't regret it). I buy everything else either used or (for PC) discounted during Steam sales.

RPS37

FF16.
Before that, Dead Space Remake, Hogwarts, Jedi Survivor.
I’m steady paying full price for these games.
They‘re worth it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Full price?!
Ha ha ha ha ha
The max I'll pay for a AAA game is 20€.
The max I'll pay for an indie/AA game is 10€.

Until the games reach that price I'll entertain myself with my backlog and PS Extra catalog.
(the only exception is From Software "souls", but those are one every 4 years)
That’s why single player games are dying . And pirates.
Why would they release games if people wait for mega sales.
About souls- we have a new one every year or two like sekiro. Ac6 this year

Last edited:

Olimbox

Neo Member
following the huge hype of the moment, yesterday I paid 80 euros for FF16. I had an instant regret since I never paid so much for a game. Hopefully it will be worthy at the end

That's their problem, and in consequence of course also mine, but why should I pay more than what they ask when I have no fomo and always were able to wait for everything?
If all games were like Nintendo games or at least like CoD, with little to almost no discount price, then I would pay that price, and play fewer games and concentrate on those fewer more, but as it is, I used the old Plus for most of my gaming even before it turned now into an insane deal and only rarely buy (old but still good) stuff for 2.99 or something. The most I ever payd in "recent" years was iirc Stalker, Bioshock and Witcher 2, all as some physical Collectors Edition, with book, figurine and soundtrack, and still Witcher was I believe the only slightly more expensive one with 29. Digital I think I never payd over 10 for anything.

It's a nonsense idea that sp games are suddenly dying due to any recent change, since Gold Games and magazine editions existed decades ago, offering a lot of games for almost as little money as subscriptions do now, just more limited to the specific selection of each collection. It hardly helps keeping sp alive, but the foundation for the gradual downfall was laid years ago, even before Plus/GWG and Gamepass/new Plus.

It was their choice to milk their IPs and offer games for discounts. Short term it increased revenue, like Gamepass does, but long term it ruins the market to some extent and they have to figure out how much budget games can have to be profitable with that system.

Ar¢tos

I don't care enough for spin-offs, clones or mechs to pay full price, only real "souls" get my attention at launch, and because of the mp components and dying player base with time.

I live on a tight budget and I'm saving for PSVR2 (only in December I expect to have enough money for it), buying 70$ games is out of the question.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's their problem, and in consequence of course also mine, but why should I pay more than what they ask when I have no fomo and always were able to wait for everything?
If all games were like Nintendo games or at least like CoD, with little to almost no discount price, then I would pay that price, and play fewer games and concentrate on those fewer more, but as it is, I used the old Plus for most of my gaming even before it turned now into an insane deal and only rarely buy (old but still good) stuff for 2.99 or something. The most I ever payd in "recent" years was iirc Stalker, Bioshock and Witcher 2, all as some physical Collectors Edition, with book, figurine and soundtrack, and still Witcher was I believe the only slightly more expensive one with 29. Digital I think I never payd over 10 for anything.

It's a nonsense idea that sp games are suddenly dying due to any recent change, since Gold Games and magazine editions existed decades ago, offering a lot of games for almost as little money as subscriptions do now, just more limited to the specific selection of each collection. It hardly helps keeping sp alive, but the foundation for the gradual downfall was laid years ago, even before Plus/GWG and Gamepass/new Plus.

It was their choice to milk their IPs and offer games for discounts. Short term it increased revenue, like Gamepass does, but long term it ruins the market to some extent and they have to figure out how much budget games can have to be profitable with that system.

I don't care enough for spin-offs, clones or mechs to pay full price, only real "souls" get my attention at launch, and because of the mp components and dying player base with time.

I live on a tight budget and I'm saving for PSVR2 (only in December I expect to have enough money for it), buying 70$ games is out of the question.
Fair enough.

Top Bottom