• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full price for a new release? How do you feel about the prices of upcoming games?

If I'm on the fence about something then I'll wait, but cost isn't the driving factor as much as having the time to allocate towards playing games.

FF16 was 70 and played for 45+ hours so that's about $1.50/hr.

ToTK was 130, played 100+ hours and haven't completed it yet; $1.30/hr. Plus all of the CE content/goods.

We all pay vastly more for things that don't give us a quarter of the enjoyment or return on investment.

As a rule:
  • Don't trade games in
  • No collector's editions, unless the value is there
  • No pre-order; only hardware or the game bonuses are of value
  • I never buy things I already have/had

Waited for Days of Play sale since I never wanted these games but they reviewed well:
  • Ghosts of Tsushima
  • Returnal
  • Death Stranding
My next Day One purchases:
  • Armored Core
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Shubh_C63

Elden Ring
Ragnarok GoW
Destiny 2 LIGHTFALL

and probably will StarField also but on GP. Broken ass game will be worth better after a few months.

Last edited:

BlackTron

yoda-disappointed.gif

No wonder publishers are feeling so confident in raising these prices.
He did say "for good games". I have no issue paying for a fine product.

Rickyiez

I've stopped buying alot of games and kinda stopped playing new games altogether. It's just not worth paying full $70 even if I can afford it easily.

Unless it's another Souls title by FROM, that I wouldn't question and it's day 1 no matter what.

captainpat

Still pay full price for switch games cause don't really have a choice but if it's a pc/current gen console game I'm going with the pc version and buying it at discount from a keyshop.

The ones I remember are Devil May Cry 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 for the Xbox 360.

Pretty much have been sticking to second hand console games and Steam/Epic/Ubi PC sales ever since.

Spend on average maybe €100 a year on games and I never run out of interesting things to play.

PeteBull

D4, 70euro on battlenet so i cant even sell it back, got around 150h of fun out of it till now(summoner necro is lvl 77), so 0 regrets, and yup i even preordered it, back in december xD

Elden Ring was the last. Armored Core 6 will be the next. In my opinion, only Fromsoft games are worth getting day one for full price. Everything else I wait until there are sales, which there inevitably are 4 to 6 weeks after release.

The Alien

Banned
Just bought Remnant 2 (Ultimate) this week for $75 with tax, etc.

Prior to that it had actually been a couple years. Thanks to both GamePass and an extensive backlog of games. This 2 things help hold me off until the 'new hit bangers' take a nice sale price. Usually buying 'the newest' games at about 50% off.

Neff

This year, all at full price

Hogwarts Legacy
Street Fighter 6
Tears of the Kingdom
Final Fantasy XVI
Resident Evil 4
Octopath Traveller 2
Bayonetta Origins
Hi-Fi Rush

All well worth the money imo

And I'll be day one-ing Starfield, Tekken 8, Mario RPG remake and Mario Wonder also.

AZRoboto

Neo Member
This year alone for console... Hogwarts Legacy, Tears of the Kingdom (Collector's), FFXVI (Special for $100). Also gonna get the upcoming Marios and Spider-Man 2.

Last Steam brand new purchase was Cyberpunk at launch and I swore that off. Sticking to it.

poodaddy

I simply don't purchase games full price in general, just kind of as a rule. I don't see why anyone does to be frank, same with preordering. The game's gonna drop price eventually, and it will be a better game when it does as it will be properly patched. You're always rewarded for waiting, paying full price gets you a worse game, ....but sooner I guess? I don't know, that's not enough incentive for me. I'm a patient guy.

Edit: Just remembered I did preorder Spider Man 2.......they got me with that goddamn Venom statue lol. Don't you goddamn judge me! There are always exceptions, and Venom statues have been known to cause them.

Last edited:
My brother and I game share. The last two games purchased, Diablo IV: Ultimate Edition ($100) and Star Wars: Jedi Survivor ($70) were acquired through my brother's huge accumulation of Microsoft/Bing points. In essence we spent nothing out of pocket for those two games.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just can't bring myself to jump on games right out the door for £70, I can easily afford it but it simply doesn't sit right with me, once it hits £40 then I snap it up but it is a pain in the hole having to wait tbf

LakeOf9

Diablo 4 and FF16. Before that it was Zelda. before that RE4. before that Yakuza Isshin and Metroid Prime.

I am okay with paying the asking price for good games. And there are a lot of good games now

Krathoon

Yeah. I got Diablo 4 full price from Blizzard. I had to get all the extra Deluxe Edition crap.

I also had to get the Deluxe Edition of FF16.

Last edited:
FFXVI, and I like paying for only games I want.

When MS controls gaming, you'll be paying a subscription to pay games for the rest of human civilization like the people who pay a sub to use Office. Have fun with that!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I've been scrolling through the pre-order section on PSN to check out some of the games that have been recently announced on SGF, and some of those prices genuinely leave me speechless with how ridiculous they're getting.

Especially the Ubisoft games, like Avatar. I dunno what's the situation over at the land of the free, but on my side of the globe the prices for this game are as follows (after conversion):
Standard: 84 USD
Gold: 121 USD
Ultimate: 143 fuck-mothering US dollars

bh187-blade.gif

I literally don't know what to say. It almost feels offensive that they would have the balls to ask that much for this shit.

I bought a grant total of 3 games on release this year. One of them at a significant discount because I was able to snatch some free PSN cards that covered about a third of the price for Resi 4. The other two were Dead Space and Jedi Survivor. But for the rest of it I usually just wait for a discount, the size of which will depend on how badly I want to play something.

But with these obnoxious prices being what they are, it gets progressively more difficult to convince myself that it's at all worth spending 80+ dollars on a single game, even if it's something that I'm really excited about. And it's not even that I can't afford it, because I can. But at this point it really feels like getting buttfucked without so much as a reacharound.
Digital games should be a tad cheaper than physical...since it behooves the storefront and the publisher to sell digital copies since there is no manufacturing costs, shipping and 3rd party seller fees. If they want consumers to move in that direction they should do something like a 20% off digital pre-order sale.

Crayon

Tears for full price. Next will probably be armored core but not sure I'll get that at full. Actually honeymoon for psvr2 is still on so I could buy any random thing there though they mostly aren't $60-70.

Bojji

FFXVI for 289PLN and launch and sold it for 219PLN today. I don't mind paying full price as long as I can SELL MY POSSESION. Digital distribution only is a grim future...

Krathoon

Baldur's Gate 3 is pretty reasonable at $60 considering the size of the game.

Also, you get early access as a demo.

I actually got two Tears of the Kingdom because I forgot to return one. So, I may try selling it somewhere.

gatti-man

Paid full price for Diablo 4. Already got my moneys worth. Games are priced more than fairly. Given inflation and the general economy games should be costing $90-100 at launch

93xfan

Banned
Haven’t paid $70 for any barebones game since the SNES days.

Thanks Gamepass!

Bought Street Fighter 6 for $60 though. Paid $100 for 2 Switch game vouchers and got Zelda and Mario 2023

Last edited:

Disco Dave

The only full price games I've purchased this year have been Zelda TOTK and Final Fantasy 16. Normally I would wait for games to come down in price but I had to buy these day one to avoid having the story spoiled.

Most purchases have been PSN sales or games from PS Extra.

Bodom78

RE4 on the GameCube.

There is no reason to pay full price these days, games go on sale quickly enough for me and cross region buying on XBox makes things much cheaper.

Ar¢tos

Elden Ring, and I'm only planning on buying Elden Ring dlc at full price next.
There is nothing out or upcoming that interests me enough to buy at full price.
Sorry devs.

This year alone I've paid full price for: Octopath Traveler 2, Hogwarts Legacy, Tears of the Kingdom, Diablo IV, Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE and Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key. :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

StereoVsn

I succumbed to BG3 hype and promise of "Deluxe" edition for regular price, lol.

That's the first one this year (may remain such for a while).

Drizzlehell

Banned
Digital games should be a tad cheaper than physical...since it behooves the storefront and the publisher to sell digital copies since there is no manufacturing costs, shipping and 3rd party seller fees. If they want consumers to move in that direction they should do something like a 20% off digital pre-order sale.
Agreed. In fact, many digital releases these days do offer a discount as a pre-order incentive, but the problem with that is that you have to pre-order, and pre-ordering comes with its own potential setbacks.

It's also pretty ridiculous that in many cases, physical editions are actually cheaper than digital ones. Because fuck logic, lol.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I've bought several this year. Hogwarts, Street fighter#, and FF16 is what I'm sure of.

The only mistake was buying street fighter since I don't really play fighting games that much.

Last edited:

DryvBy

This year?

FFXVI

I've just been renting other stuff and buying the stuff I enjoy later. GameFly is my preferred method of renting games.

Top Bottom