• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full price for a new release? How do you feel about the prices of upcoming games?

damidu

ff16, im not feeling too great lol
before that totk
luckily both seem to deliver so far. but 2023 seems like it will continue to be hard on the wallet

thanking gamepass for forza and starfield

Azurro

Banned
Last time I paid full price? That would be...let me check my notes...today!

Video Games Logo GIF by Square Enix

And really happy about it. :D

GreatnessRD

Street Fighter 6. Paid $111 United Murica dollars for it and I regret it since I really didn't like the demo. But I know I'll play it since all my friends and family do, so I'll at least get my monies worth. And its still SF and I do love my fighting games. Prior to that? I think 2018/2019 was the last time I purchased a full price game and that was the Modern Warfare 1 remake on PS4. I typically don't buy these games at full price because that's an insane thing to do in these times. INSANE I tells ya.

Depending on if Konami delivers, I'll pay full price for the MGS collection and MGS3 remake seeing as its my favorite game series of all-time, but only if it tick all the boxes and not some half-cocked bullshit.

Fbh

Last game I got was TotK (which I'll probably resell for $60 when I'm done with it), the one I got prior to that was Elden Ring.
I'd have gotten FFXVI too but I won't be home for the next month so there's no point in buying it right now.

But I rarely buy launch games these days. I've said it in other threads but between inflation and an increasingly worse exchange rate with the USD, Ps5 games in my country are now basically twice as much as they were when the Ps4 launched, so I need to be extremely hyped and confident in the quality of a game to even consider buying it at launch.

Laptop1991

I'm an older PC gamer, so I'm not used to paying 60 quid for a new game, let alone 70 so it has to be a real big great game for me to start now, Starfield is the only contender

Hydroxy

Last game i. Paid full price was Rise of the Tomb Raider in 2016 for $15 for pc because square Enix was still doing regional pricing back then. I also did pre-order buy Dead Premonition 2 on PC for $8 but not sure if you can consider it full price as it had a 30% pre order discount. But that game sucked.

Not feeling it. Its one of the major reasons I'm bowing out of this generation. Swarms of gamers will just adopt this "change" as the new standard instead of actively trying to push against it.

And this won't be the last price hike you'll see. When that happens the cycle will start anew.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
Elden Ring and I have no plans for the foreseeable future for any other game. I'm tempted by Diablo 4 but I'll wait.

yansolo

last game i bought full price was for ff7 remake on the ps4, $70aud

the prices for games in Australia these days are bonkers, $110aud for diablo 4, $120 for starfield, while games that have been out for a few years now like Red Dead 2 are $90, so i always wait for sales

i also dont like how every game now has to have all these editions

Synless

FF16 and Xenoblade 3 before that. I would say most Nintendo 1st party games are guaranteed day one and full price purchases.

Just picked up Aliens Dark Descent at the full price of $39.99. Totally worth it.

Before that was GoW Ragnarok. Pretty disappointed with that one to be honest.

raduque

I bought Hogwarts legacy a couple days before release - I only paid ~$35 out of pocket, because I had the rest of the price in Steam wallet funds.

I paid full price for Diablo 4 though.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The last time was way last year. I bought GT7, HFW and Elden Ring all at full price and they were all 100% worth it. I have been buying games on sale and working through my backlog since then.

phant0m

This year?

Diablo 4, Hogwarts Legacy, FF XVI, ToTK, Jedi Survivor.

Good games, all worth.

Got Saints Row for 50% off. Not worth.

Last edited:

simpatico

I'm pretty selective of the games I pay $60 for. The last two I can think of, Elden Ring and R4make, I would have been OK with $70. For how picky I am at that price, the extra $10 probably won't factor in much.

For me its when was last time DIDNT I pay full price for a game lol.

To be fair though, I stock up whenever costco sells those $100 PSN cards for $80.

This year, I bought:
Fire emblem engage - $59 (normal Nintendo new release price)

Metroid prime - $39.was great price
Everspace 2 (pc) 39. Great price
Resident Evil 4 $59 fine price for this

Dead island 2 - $69, too high but fun game don't regret

Zelda totk - $69 wtf.. I know Zelda but way too high for switch game.
Diablo 4 - $69 it comes out once a decade, and I love it.

FF16— $69, same price as other AAA games. Its Def worth it

Katamiari reroll2 (or whatever it's called) $29, great price.

System shock remake - $29 good price
Stranded alien dawn - $29 good price.

Yeah I buy a lot of games, and play less as don't have the time, sadly.

RevGaming

A couple of times this year. Last being ff16. I'm all in paying full price if it's a good game. I'm also paying for a sequel in a way. If you really want more sequels from your favorite franchise I believe this is the way.

Last edited:

MAtgS

Well I just dropped $70+ on AEW Fight Forever Elite Edition for Switch. I might regret this later....

Pelao

Final Fantasy XVI.
I bought it because the demo convinced me. It's a good game. It's not amazing, but so far I've liked it quite a bit. Still, I feel it doesn't justify the 10 dollar increase.
My favorite game this generation, Elden Ring, cost 60 dollars. When I see these games that cost 70 dollars, I can't help but ask: Does this game seem better than Elden Ring? The answer so far has always been no. So, with few exceptions, like with FF, I wait for a discount, and if I happen to buy it for 70 dollars, I'm much more critical of the product.

BlakeofT

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Collection on Switch

Tried to wait for a sale, but couldn't hold out. No regrets so far. First time playing any of them except for #6.

Edit: I don't mind paying $70 for a new game so long as it's a quality product. Tears of the Kingdom and the aforementioned FF collection. I feel a lot better about spending full price for a new game lately since I dropped Destiny 2 from my life last year. I used to play it with pretty much 100% of my free time, which wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't still buying and not completing other games here and there.

Last edited:

CGNoire

I will never pay $70 for a game that could have easily been released for the PS4.

No I'm not paying you an extra fee just for Higher Resolution and Framerate thank you very much.

Last edited:

Griffon

I haven't paid full price in forever, even on day one.

On PC you have plenty of shops like GMG and CDKeys that do discounted preorders.
On console, physical game retailers like Amazon or similar usually sell games below MSRP.

Last edited:
I would never, ever pay full price for a digital game. I also would never, ever take a chance on a digital game that I hadn't tried before and knew that I loved it, jeez.

For physical releases, sure why not? If its a game I really think I would like I do it all the time, I can always sell it if it's not up my alley or if I've finished it. No problem.

Last time I did it was recently with Tears of the Kingdom. Worth every penny, I don't mind.

bender

What time is it?
I believe it was Diablo IV and it is easily the biggest disappointment of the year. I wasn't planning on getting it after the beta but my co-op buddy talked me into it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
FF16…full price, 100 hours so far. Shit been the same price for the last 20 years, stop complaining. Unless of course you are okay with a metric ton of micro transactions, because that’s what’s about to happen if y’all keep complaining about paying full price for full games 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I get everything new. I make it rain at Gamestop.
In case anyone calls me a fraud.

AVvXsEjXPS6IhVwHt1wTAdWnbRyXSxiomiFNpUaLDPBBbtgHZPkb6mGzXNDOD_QFXHshpOkpwGYRv18eWHvG46Wka-2XsaZgj6_Y4baVY9kuevH299hGRjwe8y-stKT2ru66EWnJHlyQPHLDYkz8UkkXl3JNTZO9MdGpbD6VAxVOVzt32FKHelTRuJIIR-tFwSR6
AVvXsEjlg9InFMzqSP-q6SfmnaGnLNh_3pePqerrlALRVoVD6M-hXuFYzmQx-j7opPhrUSz1wraC1VdGlhANsc66IybStt42JQqu9wwOZVt6Ti36gkiVfC93HJBP2LV4AJHQKJn-z0kcYrqIg0z2RleGtKG5w3TQBzUygyHtndoT8G4mrMFywwDzitEev1vUUQ

AVvXsEhjv3X4EBDgpqyl8HGq82ZrCq2VDjWTq_ZYcPYCd3B5YjDamBh9hlUeqgPwuhAp-miqNcHYLJA0Fp1Mbm6TS8veXH2ziw6TJeJZPOshIRdn3Id2LzW6xZ4VB6UKk4nU-mYKyKDslPwpUKO9zK7is3z83xskos_mH53rG9IkOWRDftzt99w9DADDEoMzeA

AVvXsEh4ugCFXa5xYPmySHJIW6-LM6u9IlnvtKXwP5W_HYDhb5GrfY-QFgtYWfcQ7OL53s1e05iSJxa7HcIHf5OVUqrGA1WOydGzrusHRQb3ymKWEQHZNcyrw3WR8nasyZmF7fLKMN1UimSs4hw9_Js-FV2_BBZJwnq04mRrusuCkOgUE-JNjQfU56OlrTEfiw

AVvXsEgPNapsYb-_ysdq5bsIOmyOfk-5by_qGvuQ_rINqD-y35CLZO5EAWGEv7mmTYY_WutilNhhg03iBOS8FlrgoUV8dCcWMemYQptfAP3mkHZ3XC9MNwQzq71zAwPkXAr6lCH7EjqVPet5GQkKe9kYIHg6LtEKOoVFnqwlRg5gRXNtX2WzJVwPMx_rl7nwTg

AVvXsEjAoHn5D45GBpI6EeEHM03qnz1JW_BrSEs4JELncygr3H3a4ioVL3a_nkwzqsU583_QrCHOb35Xl_6ezwD41kNzD1NARMQlvLjg_bcBXuKwR2H-qpF4hE6XMa55cWZsGsrj8kvbrmU6_5a0HXhqTjMNRPi5w9D24qjtiSBzNcNc0dKJa4O5UaO11Bgdow

AVvXsEi_-7r34V26L64-zIPq1so3NdGQngrQw4SczsAVwhFrSJvKDi2vES-Wj1zaPViix8x-3RPiNXpbN-hy-0izC-pQQlcq7jaZplMC1qRrTiKxNIWdSGPtGlguehXEhvtTsrZjPljajp2q67f6rgt7ZKdQ66q05Ce_gQNxygzJO5hhqZMC_fxPQZXrlhweBA

AVvXsEjjps2rcE3C7RZU0k5XlgSwdvCzGFvWz3o4gyfXt5p8ByBETk7o-DAgExqwkfWkChx0P5FGN2GEsewSBugt2h3939GmTHB3G4pIicyakE4u8LNYTwFcvlIUe6JBqG2aFJiuBvR4gPeaDXI89_97qooSqNp5vgvq847S_66PARpkqZ8Dijy8R83fgcc1Zw

AVvXsEiSWvWilTrn9P71JJc-2Z4cnXTvBWuNj4swyDeLX1fk5L2lnLUAQNDaqndkbskDXBgiM_suEukL_Mk6vjyzgrq6iXUINCdKQCJD-sZfOPS1XIqYmQCoMEcb61Rf1DuPNqm5TSCudIK4BeZqLruij8Hv8krJgvVazTbDnXJGSDsbdmHFA5b0Yz3Id7h0MQ

AVvXsEjyYYccc-Qp8fa-bcQzb6IGulcfAeeSRr93JXFp8S4XgO_LL0exV9H2qcjbcE_a2b09BvkPbyvHD8W0BZtNX8jB-v1g93nc1HjJ8KrJHOTqbNge5sWBTW4U9qIqWhhPG2pObe4XcaJYrhqRGMKRcJgJDXOJkJ09TGcCyCRZ2URyD-8C22-5ku7waI28gw

AVvXsEgWyIJA8kDEgLEgYK3X0z7Hwq_dD7IG0I850QyJbfQRZwDT8khOcOShzTO199xqoUHyaAM3DuxfEYBnyyVqUVGDomCGkIxIrJl23JbDjvGd41y2djMIf6RDbvGsxs2tQurImy6aO6T0K132MQExFc58xVz-EtjIYdskDBN-ab4g6Pr6ioOSO_NfHBBA9A

AVvXsEiXXUxHLtII3KB1XGmXtmx9JrBUDNdPUeYau2eHidO-Utzx_PFZMLBYhFdKrakpnhJQEQ_K5glS04nKOs0gRyfkoHvMd5KIcBqOkan0RGvh_Oy_Pf8uMM8Zz1dqQXbt0zsuVg2UOqT7AFWJt0f2Fmt1wU3gpox9aSB0_KuBkCmYubvb2UaoQe1ZLZmZUA

AVvXsEhQs785j8P4QnjdZTsx0WQdvl8ra1VY6UQ33rnOpPzHRLinfI4abqm69K6PaaJA8t4huFxXHUhtdCQ4g8Hd-qRPRgOMEbB62svpfe7OypXUFvwGxd27JAgbj6NxEiFgQvmdVLH0wS2OeRSIi2dEEk0Ac3VupFIICxjFcbsPvp2jiPPosTNeHCOKfLKstA

AVvXsEj45KwBcB8EoXzbn_KBysSp5Nb6CZ7w_hrki3zmfuEAYWEU2bN6VsMMwXovuRH0kZrJnM6yjVzkiFSxAZk7vG-b89LW8L9VfRbsVTc5Niw18wCKtdOiZv7huQI0-IkxgSTIvViO5lAu97oiExT4FcqFrJTCPwdDRsyGOYgy0gzurrf9JkajGfdQGvHoMQ

1679696987960312-0.png

1678489955865252-0.png

1677880185688917-0.png

1677270542745644-0.png

I gave up trying to find a physical copy of Metroid so I got it from the eshop.
1677025624628823-0.png

1676663930576150-1.png

1674845181412261-0.png

1674611965751525-0.png

1674171953762726-0.png

This is what I've bought this year on their respective launch dates.

XSX Dead Space
XSX Wild Hearts
XSX Tales of Symphonia Remastered
XSX Atomic Heart
XSX Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
XSX Mato Anomalies
XSX MLB: The Show 2023 Captain Edition
XSX Resident Evil 4 Remake
XSX EA Sports PGA golf
XSX Asterigos
XSX Afterimage
XSX Redfall
XSX Lego 2K Drive
XSX Street Fighter 6 Collector's Edition
XSX Loop8: Summer of Gods: Celestial Limited Edition
XSX Diablo 4
XSX F1 2023
XSX Miasma Chronicles

PS5 Forspoken
PS5 GrimGrimoire OnceMore
PS5 Trinity Trigger
PS5 Ys IX: Monstrum Nox Deluxe
PS5 Final Fantasy XVI

Switch Metroid Prime
Switch The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Hardware Rog Ally
Hardware Logitech G923

Current preorder list
AVvXsEhijY3ozQubczryawWSb_V_QQdhf1xEes0UH99mQQ4RChqKcw2TPpnh53kTE4r3l3WWprg8PGrOSTbnsn7nDNmQ9jNV37_-_L_f_cLj-N43JrdO3A66k9HsR4ANOU_2FxoRLqmOwGbT16uOq46PKYth9QKSDktRVN9u9XaaXUY6buKDrjwS46B6W1fT0_Qh

AVvXsEjnMnDICfuWl-0Q2csh9a3AjcTwVuB7w7-Bo3ATnI3IULUfNkuVIOLw8Ksh3ajqqJ4GsSAPXilQUEtNTG6UDEHU7O9caEZo2HiKuoyvoYsmSNkvj60_1zg0b0b5UoTYeBJueLc5VovbpVu_Xpxnl1xOOZimdk7q_kHt-KQNGGzerMVFmLrF68sUYYa9JQ
I also have Madden 2024 Digital Edition on Xbox preordered and F1 Manager 2023 on steam.

I will just say that I am fortunate to do this and not care.

F31 Leopard

Front Mission 1st and Trails into Reverie only because these have a higher chance of going out of print early. Anything NIS or Xseed and it's a game I want full price automatic for me because their releases go out of print in a short amount of time.

Aces High

In the past weeks:

Diablo 4
Street Fighter 6
Final Fantasy 16

I can't enjoy (most) games as much if I download them through a subscription service.

Buying the game makes me invest more time into it. This way I can understand the core gameplay loop better, which will eventualy make me enjoy the game more.

When I download a game through a subscription service, I play it for like 30 to 60 minutes and never touch it again. An exception was Ratched and Clank Rift Apart which I got through PS Plus. The game was so amazing.

I'm still not sure if this is a psychological phenomenon or if most modern games are not designed for subscription services (like blockbuster movies vs tv shows).

angrod14

RE 4 Remake.

I have no major problem with the price itself, but what I don't like is paying full price and not getting the full content. For example, when I bought Spider-Man (PS4), three DLCs where announced just after the release of the main game. I felt I should've waited for the GOTY Edition and then make the purchase. Now I try to keep day one purchases to a minimum.

Lunarorbit

Final Fantasy pixel edition is the last game I bought full price. That was 2 months ago.

I don't buy new games anymore. Not paying $70. I understand the price increase but I'm not buying into it. I'll buy used Nintendo games cause they are greedy and don't go on sale. Ps/ms I just wait several months now and they are half off

Markio128

I’ve bought quite a few this year - some physical, some digital (majority). I only plan on buying two more standard games this year - Starfield and Spider-Man 2, along with a handful of VR games.

The most notable games I’ve paid top dollar for this year are TOTK, FF16, Hogwarts, RE4R, Octopath Traveller 2 and SF6. I’ve bought quite a lot of VR games as well - too many to mention really. I reckon I’ve spent the best part of £500 on games at release.

Edit: One thing to point out is that I have also benefitted from both Nintendo‘s and Sony’s points scheme, so you can likely take £50-£60 off the total.

Last edited:

Belthazar

Diablo 4... I had such a great time with the 100+ hours I spent with it that it read definitely worth it already. I played through all this time in local coop too, so it was basically fun for 2 people, so even more of a bargain.

Impotaku

Literally all the time i don't really do gaming on a budget really if there's a game i want i just buy on release i have been buying domestic & imported releases since the 90's so i'm used to the high prices been more than usual retail however importing is a lot cheaper nowadays. Sometimes i get stuff a bit cheaper if it's something 3rd party that i didn't know about and it's been out a while. As for stupidly overpriced fancy editions i rarely ever give in unless the items are something i really want in them.

Top Bottom