• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full price for a new release? How do you feel about the prices of upcoming games?

Bond007

FFXVI
Street Fighter before that
Zelda ToTK
Jedi Survivor - only one i probably should have waited on.

I generally don't care, and but what I want when I want. Sometimes it's a deal- sometimes its full price. Very rarely are you going to see me buy collectors edtions etc. Has to be an important game to me and hold some value personally.

Billbofet

Elden Ring (digital) - no regrets
Prior to that, probably Witcher 3 (digital)

I am debating that new 2d Mario game day 1 as my son and I both are really looking forward to it.

Regginator

Most recent one was Zelda TOTK. No regrets whatsoever, best game of the generation so far. Other games I got day 1 this year were Hogwart's Legacy (visually beautiful, but gameplay wise such a snoozefest) and Metroid Prime Remastered (stellar remaster and still a phenomenal game).

For the remainder of the year, I'll probably limit myself to Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I buy 10-12 $60 releases every year. Now that most games are $70 each, I'm a LOT more picky about what I pay full price for. It's weird that $60 seems to be the magical "buy now" price for me. I've only paid $70 for maybe a half dozen games so far - Diablo 4 and Final Fantasy XVI being the only two this year.

For example, I'm really pumped to eventually play Jedi Survivor. I would have easily bought it day one for $60. I could still buy it now for about $40 with EA's shitty DRM, but I'm waiting for a good discount on Steam. I might be waiting til Black Friday on that one, but that's okay I'm patient. Meanwhile, Nintendo announces a remake of Mario RPG for $60 and I pre-order the physical release the day it was announced.

Mr Hyde

RE4, Tears of the Kingdom and FF 16 are the only games I've bought day 1 so far this year. Last year it was Elden Ring and GoW Ragnarok. I rarely buy games full price let alone day 1. AAA gaming is plagued with too much issues for me to pull the trigger on pretty much anything that isn't a must have. And those games are few and far between. AA, Indie and retro is where it's at, both in terms of price and quality.

FFXVI, RE4 Remake, Elden Ring. I don't have a problem paying full price and I don't have a problem with game prices. I play maybe 2-4 major games per year.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Why would you buy anything else than the base version, in particular if the Ultimate always includes shitty figurine?

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office
84 bucks is still a lot of money.

Calverz

resident evil 4 remake. Worth every single penny. PC version and collectors edition on Xbox. (Played it on steam).

I’m not too worried about the future pricing of games. It seems we are slowly heading towards the subscription model. Nintendo continues to be an issue though due to the poor sales and physical gmes holding their prices well

Exede

Yesterday 80€s (88USD with tax) for Final Fantasy XVI i simply couldn't resist after the demo....

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I haven't bought many games this year, but last full price game was Dead Space Remake. Would have been TotK, but I got it for $60 on Amazon before the price change.

Next full price game will probably be a PSVR2 game, and next full $70 game will be Starfield.

Elden Ring, RE4 remake, and System Shock remake are the most recent for me. I probably should have waited on RE4 but curiosity got the best of me given my love for the original.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Right now I have Spider-Man 2 preordered, I’ve had a couple pre orders in the past (Tears of the kingdom, battlefield 2042 etc.) because the alternative is to wait for summer sales.

€40 for a PS5 physical copy of Diablo 4 at launch. Got this this cheap as I had a €30 voucher at the retailer I bought the game from.
Before that Zelda TotK for €55.

Last edited:

checkcola

It was actually mario odyssey and breath of the wild, since getting xbox series x all I do is use xbox points monthly to buy cheap games on sell, I have such a back log lol

winjer

Gold Member
I don't remember the last time I paid full price for a game.
I did buy CP2077 for PC, on pre-order at full price. But when I saw the rumors and delays about the game, I refunded it on GoG, a couple of months before launch. So I dodge a bullet there. Later, I bought it for 20 euros.
Most companies have convinced me that it's no longer worth it to pay full price for a game at launch. It's better to just wait a few months for patches and a discount.

EruditeHobo

I most often buy things at full price (often pre-ordered) to support developers on projects I'm really excited for.

If I just don't have time to get to a game, even if I'm excited for it, I just wait. Still waiting to buy/pre-order Ragnarok, TOTK, SF6, FF16, and Spider-Man 2 for this exact reason... that said I will probably pre-order Spider-Man pretty soon, once I get some more time in Diablo 4.

As for "what games should cost", please pursue some basic information in how markets work:

Last edited:

_Ex_

A few times a year. If it's a game/developer I believe in, I want to be sure the publisher gets max profit for their support, and one does that by buying a new release at launch. Discounted sales are less profitable for the publisher. Second hand purchases don't support the publisher at all, they support the middle man.

That said, I only buy the standard releases. None of this "ultimate" or "collector's" edition bullshit.

StereoVsn

I am not buying games at release anymore basically. Been burned too many times and exhausted if launch issues.

Might as well wait a few months and get a decent discount and but fixes.

That said, at least on PC you can usually get a decent 20% discount normally at release or even before that.

Puscifer

Diablo 4 ultimate because I'm an idiot

Before that Resident Evil 4 because cdkeys had it for 40 dollars on launch day

God of War Ragnarok. Loved every second of that experience.
As long i'm playing a game and feel like i'm paying for a premium product like this, i'm fine paying 80€.

If i played Forspoken for full price tho...hell no.

I'm a lot more cautious when buying games at full price nowadays.

MiguelItUp

It was probably the Elden Ring Collector's Edition. Because around that, I typically buy my games digital via Greenman Gaming, CDKeys, etc. to get games at a cheaper price.

It honestly makes the increasing price in newer games much easier to swallow as a result, because at the discounted rates it's almost like nothing has changed.

If I'm buying a console game and I know I have to pay full price, I just want to make sure it's something that's certainly worthy of the price, and something I'll love.

Edit: Oh, I lied, it was the Diablo 4 Ultimate Edition, lol.

Last edited:
Uh let’s see this year for new releases I bought:

-Metroid Prime Remastered at $40; not an ideal price for a remaster but considering the touched up graphics and control options (along with it happening to be my favorite game of all time), I’d consider it a fair enough price.

-RE4 remake at $60; but I split the cost with my brother since he doesn’t have a system to play it and had to play it at my house anyways.

-Tears of the Kingdom $70; but I only paid about half that since I remembered I had a gift card leftover from Christmas I never used.

So technically I haven’t paid full price ($60+) for a game this year.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
This morning, I bought another copy of FFXVI for someone at the office.

If I don’t pay full price how will Jim feed his family?!?!?!?

Also, I’m that person that buys all physical switch games at FP and the digital versions. If paying full price now gets me games like BOTW/TOTK every 5 years then yes….TAKE MY MONEY.

Last edited:

Paulistano

Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time (ps3)
God of War 3 (ps3)
Nier Automata (pc)
Final Fantasy XVI (ps5)

The last four, I find they are very expensive here.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

This year so far - Dead Space Remake, Hogwarts, Diablo 4 and FFXVI. I'd say I usually pay full price and play on release for 6-10 games a year on average.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well, this thread turned out to to be pretty depressing to read, lol.

Especially the posts that brag about getting a raw deal on overpriced games.

have-some-respect-for-yourself-bojack.gif

Shtef

Only one game, elden ring.
Edit: actually i bought hogwarts legacy too.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Bought a couple games full price this year:

- RE4 Remake - no regrets
- System Shock Remake - no regrets
- Star Wars Jedi Survivor - wasn’t worth it
- Diablo 4 (yet to play)
- FFXVI (yet to play)

Mithos

Digital... NEVER...

Physical...
Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition (PS3).
Zelda Wind Waker HD (with Ganondorf statue) + Zelda Twilight Princess HD (amiibo wolf Link), Bayonetta 1+2 Pack, Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water. (Wii U)
Maybe one or two PS4 games but couldn't tell which once.

New game prices is more crazy then before so waiting game as always until they are not stupid high.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
GOWR on day 1. Wouldn't say I regret it but I didn't really like the game. I loved 2018 and thought it would be just as good. Turns out not.

I Gowr as well, one of the few games I felt was worth full price. At least it was a full game and has an ending unlike gow 2018.

How is it that I can buy FF16 60€ physical online but on PS it's 80€ unbelievable 😳
Dont worry, once games go all digital they will pass the savings on to you! Lol.. this was a dumb argument 15 years ago and it's still awful. I really dread the digital future, I'm clinging to my physical items as long as I can.

The only time I buy digital only games are in the 1-10 USD range at best. Maybe in some super rare case above that.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Digital... NEVER...

Physical...
Mass Effect 3 Collectors Edition (PS3).
Zelda Wind Waker HD (with Ganondorf statue) + Zelda Twilight Princess HD (amiibo wolf Link), Bayonetta 1+2 Pack, Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water. (Wii U)
Maybe one or two PS4 games but couldn't tell which once.

New game prices is more crazy then before so waiting game as always until they are not stupid high.

Lol at the bold NEVER for digital.

Like just straight up cash paid for a full game at full MSRP, very rarely. Even FFXVI I got today with trade credit at Gamestop. Zelda before that I used digital Nintendo vouchers which reduced the cost (which I will also use for the two upcoming fall Mario games, with 80% of that cost covered from $100 in eShop credit I got for my birthday two months ago and held on to). I'm always scheming and planning ahead with reward points and trade-ins and selling games I've finished and gifts to basically have a constant stream of games in and out at as low a price as possible. It's part of why my wife doesn't mind this hobby lol. I'll even target a game 6-8 months away and say "That's the game I am saving up recycling deposit money for" and save that up all towards it. It's almsot become a game in itself.

Soltype

I bought baldur's gate 3 on Early Access, before that I can't even remember. Pretty much everything I buy through key sites, and Nintendo stuff I just wait until they're not new. These new game prices are outrageous, most of these games aren't even worth the $10 upcharge from the previous gen.

SHA

Bioshock infinite, gtav"wasn't worth it actually", after that mkx for 71 bucks, rise of the tomb raider, I forgot the last of us p1, and Many on sales, some worth the full price some don't but it's definitely not worth taking the risk.

Lupin25

People who are accustomed to the $70 price tag this gen should know what to do by now:

Put up the cash, find cheap keys, buy it 2nd hand, or wait for sales/gamepass/psplus/etc.

Big games like TOTK or Spider-Man 2 I’ll gladly pay full price no matter what (they’re not likely to drop in price often anyway).
However, paying $70 for AC Mirage or Silent Hill 2 is a no go.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
D2 Resseurected.

To me, I dont care about the price of games as I buy them on deal or wait till GP most of the time. The handful of times it's full price I split it with a buddy doing home sharing anyway.

Hudo

Dunno, I paid 50€ for Tears of the Kingdom at my retailer. That's full price as far as I am considered.

Denton

Full price as in 60-70 euros? In december 2020 when I bought Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam (but I also got physical CE).

I often buy games at launch, but since I play on PC where there is an actual competition, the most I usually pay is around 40 euros.
For example I got RE4 for 42 euros, TLOUP1 for 40 euros, Dead Island 2 for 30 dollars.

Then I got some games on sale this year, like Callisto Protocol for 30 dollars or Gotham Knights in a bundle.

And then there are the subscription services, so I finished Jedi Survivor and Dead Space remake for 7 euros each, and about 5 gamepass games like Atomic Heart, Ghostwire, Plague Tale 2..

PC gaming is, contrary to popular belief, quite cheap in the longer run.

2022: elden ring
2023: hogwarts (used trade-in credit), re5 remake...

a few years back, i'd buy close to a dozen games a year day 1. kinda amazing how thing've changed...

Kamina

Golden Boy
May 10th when i bought Zelda TotK.
Prices are often ridiculous these days, especially for Sony titles,

Top Bottom