• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When was the last time you paid full price for a new release? How do you feel about the prices of upcoming games?

Zimmy68

I honestly can't remember when. I bought Elden Ring and Zelda TOTK during release week but both were $10 cheaper than their normal price.
I don't get why so many people pay regular price when it is so easy to get it cheaper.

Dutchy

Doom 2016.

You're not missing out on anything by buying a game months or even a whole year after release. On the contrary even.

Tempering your excitement with rational thinking and decision making would help a lot of people, I feel like. It seems like a decent amount buys games at full price because they feel socially obligated to do so. To be part of the bigger collective/hype. Honestly not a inexcusable reason, but a very unfortunate one for sure.

Hogwarts legacy. That is the last time and the only game this year that I bought at lunch, for full price. I just don’t do it anymore other than the rare occasion. It’s not worth it, games launch buggy, games acquire more free content as time goes by, and are too damn expensive. With Tax here in Ontario a new game costs $103. There are very few titles I’m willing to pay over $100 for.

I used to buy games at launch almost all the time, bought into the hype like an idiot. But as time went on, games started releasing in worse conditions, they started dropping in price relatively quickly, and they started adding more content post launch.

Last edited:

TheChadOfGaming

Neo Member
paid full price for zelda and diablo 4
zelda was worth the price, diablo 4 is still in beta, not worth
70 dollars for games are fine, they were 60 dollars 30 years ago

flying_sq

The new MW2, pretty much have stopped playing it, got about a year's worth of fun out of it. Before that, was FF7 Remake on PS4. Don't know the next time I'll get a game full price.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Next purchase will be Remnant 2, which is only $50 for the regular version.

Fantastic price, and may just get the Ultimate Edition ($70) for the future DLC.

Last edited:

Adam_802

Dead Space Remake and Hogwarts Legacy. Both def worth it, though I did buy them with MS Rewards points so idk if that counts lol. In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually payed full price for any game since using MS Rewards.

Last edited:
SF6

Unless it's a MP game I'm going to play on release then I just wait for a sale now. I have enough to play and SP games only get better and cheaper the longer you wait.

Hogwarts Legacy and DLC.

Blinking Cardi B GIF by shremps

Mr Blobby

It might make sense for multiplayer games that have a limited online lifespan, but otherwise I've got such a huge backlog of games, if I don't buy another one, I'll still have plenty to play. With that said it might've been Days Gone as I had a story driven open world game itch to scratch

bigdad2007

$70 for TotK. Didn’t mind at all, but I’m old enough to remember what SNES and N64 games cost back in the day.

My issue with paying full price isn’t so much the value proposition. Games haven’t really seen inflation as much as some hobbies have. However, I wait for deals mostly because I can barely beat like 3 or 4 games a year. Sounless it is a major tent pole AAA game like Eldin Ring or Zelda that I know I’ll be hyped enough to play at release, it doesn’t make sense to pay full price.

stonedwal

Only limited print games, reprints and Asia-region English releases, because there is rarely any type of discount (beyond maybe a 5% referral code for the latter of the three). Last time I paid MSRP was 5 years ago for the Yakuza 6 limited edition, which was one of, if not the last collectors edition I bought. I had to dig pretty deep to find the last time I paid MSRP for a standard retail release (2016, Pokemon Sun & Moon). There is stil competition among retailers for new releases here, finding 20% off on day one is not a high effort endeavour, and bar Nintendo most stuff is 60-80% off in 6 months.

Games I've purchased so far this year at full MSRP

Atelier Marie Remake
Dead Space Remake
Diablo 4
Final Fantasy XVI
Hogwarts Legacy
Metroid Prime Remastered
Octopath Traveler 2
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Tears of the Kingdom
Theatrhythm Final Bar Line

The second half of 2023 will likely be even busier with games like Starfield, Spider-Man 2, Mario Bros Wonder and Mario RPG.

Flyinmunky

I'm not a collector of games these days. I buy on release for best deal I can find, complete and trade in.
Example paid £52 for FF16 then after completed traded into CEX for £43.

There are rare exceptions like Last of us part 2 which i keep as I know i will go back for another run in future.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
you could just open your backlog, find a game you might like, watch its trailer on youtube and get excited easily.
I don’t have that many backlogs and I don’t see any reason to wait for a game like Armoured Core VI. I’m excited for that game and want to play it as soon as possible.

Top Bottom