• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you are a guest but they have only cheap knock off Cola

scamander

Banned
It's all just sugar water with caffeine and fake flavour. Unless you are in the US. Then it's all just caffeinated and fake flavoured water mixed with high-fructose corn syrup.

psyfi

Banned
I just don't drink things I don't want to drink. I would never ever ever be insulted if someone turned down a drink because they don't like the flavor.

Lkr

*at a restaurant"

waiter: what would you like to drink?
me: can i get a sprite?
waiter: oh we have sierra mist, is that okay?

NO. NO IT IS NOT. store brand "twist up" or whatever is a better experience than sierra mist

BibiMaghoo

These days I'll take anything that has actual sugar in it and not some nasty sweetener. They have ruined pretty much every drink because of this. Lilt is the worst offender, but only proper Coke remains unchanged.

Griss

When they offer you a coke but bring you a Fentiman's Curiosity Cola instead...

"Excuse me, can I move in here? I'll pay rent..."

I just don't drink things I don't want to drink. I would never ever ever be insulted if someone turned down a drink because they don't like the flavor.

Yeah, in Ireland I feel rude sometimes because offering tea or coffee is just the de facto 'welcome to my place' greeting, it's a ritual. But I don't drink any hot drinks so I always say no. Which is usually 'I don't plan on staying in your shitty gaff for more than 5 minutes' but for me is just the truth. I'm not drinking shit I don't like just to fulfil a silly social ritual.

Certinty

Somehow during all my life this has never happened to me.

Thankfully so too, that cheap stuff tastes so damn nasty.

meppi

Just wait till this happens and he/she shakes the bottle in front of you to let the gass out because "it tastes much better that way" and then serves it to you.

Now that's yummy off brand coke. :-/

This sounds like an episode of Seinfeld.
"so I'm sitting there and I start to get thirsty"

"Yeah?"

"and I figure to myself 'what would really hit the spot right now?'

"as any man should"

"and I realize I want. A coke. A delicious drink past down from our ancestors down the line since time immemorial. But here lies the problem George "

" what happened Jerry? "

" what they brought out wasn't coke. It was a CO. KNOCK OFF."

"didnt have a coke?!"

"didn't. Have. A. Coke"

"what kind of savages were they"

"thats what I thought!"

meppi

"Yeah?"

"as any man should"

"and I realize I want. A coke. A delicious drink past down from our ancestors down the line since time immemorial. But here lies the problem George "

" what happened Jerry? "

"didnt have a coke?!"

"didn't. Have. A. Coke"

"thats what I thought!"

Haha, I'm actually hearing the music playing in my head now. :D

Mimosa97

"Yeah?"

"as any man should"

" what happened Jerry? "

"didnt have a coke?!"

"didn't. Have. A. Coke"

"thats what I thought!"

Perfect.

mhayes86

Just be that guy who takes his own drinks (case of soda/alcohol) to parties, drinks only that, and then takes whatever is left home.

Or drink more of that H2O.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This sounds like an episode of Seinfeld.

"I gotta break up with her George! I can't date someone who doesn't have access to the name brands I'm accustomed to!"

"I dated a girl once who tried to slip me a Pepsi when I asked for a Coke. There wasn't a second date"

"The worst part is she lives in a nice apartment, has a nice car, nice clothes. She CAN afford Coke! She chooses to live in squalor! It's like a mental disorder!"

Drinking 39g of sugar.

Per can.

Consciously and willingly.

If I were you, I'd be worried about more important things than the taste of the beverage or its brand.

OP like

Jesse-Pinkman-Breaking-Bad-Drinking-Water.gif

When they gave it to you why didn't you just say make a face and ask, "What the fuck is this?"

I hate this in restaurants.

"Can I have a coke, please?"

"Sure"

(Bring you a Pepsi)

Rösti;238154160 said:
I would rather enjoy the fact of being invited than worry about what kind of beverage I'm served.

I had some fish and chips at a restaurant a while ago and explicitly asked for a Pepsi. They didn't have Pepsi so I got a Coke instead.
They're competitors. 99.9% of the time a restaurant will only have one brand. Coca Cola. Or Pepsi.

That is awful OP, I completely understand. It's even worse when the Soda isn't pre-chilled. Serving warm soda on ice is a cardinal sin.

I've never had a cola I didn't like.

*shrug*

I paused and was ready to retort, but then I thought about this and well, shit.. me to. As long as that shit is icey cold, it's from valhalla. Also note, I drink soda like 5 times a year so I'm probably invalid I guess. Shit is really sugary and bad for you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Coke is a very generic term here in the UK, tends to be 50/50 if somewhere will tell you its pepsi

Yeah coke is probably more used than 'cola'

Although when I worked a summer job at McDonalds many years ago, if someone asked for coke we had to reply with the canned 'we have McDonalds own cola, is that OK?' to avoid issues with people complaining when they didn't get actual coke

Top Bottom