• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When you are a guest but they have only cheap knock off Cola

But the OP says he was offered a coke. Not his fault that after accepting they give him something else.
It's the spoiled exaggerating that's the problem. OP agreed to shitty syrup water and gets a different but extremely similar shitty syrup water.

Then acts like he's forced to drink his hosts piss to be polite.

Christ I wonder what would happen if he had to face actual hardship.

FoxSpirit

It's the spoiled exaggerating that's the problem. OP agreed to shitty syrup water and gets a different but extremely similar shitty syrup water.

Then acts like he's forced to drink his hosts piss to be polite.

Christ I wonder what would happen if he had to face actual hardship.
Dude, real hardship is easy. Noone will judge you. But in peaceful, wealthy times people can be petty as fuck.
Some people are 50 and still in Kindergarden going by what they get angry about.

Don't like my coffee/coke/booze? Tell me, guestright is sacred in my household. Almost ;-)

Herne

You sit there and be grateful for what your hosts have kindly given you, and you drink it with full appreciation.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Mugatu-Coffee-Spit-Zoolander-Will-Ferrell.gif

KaYotiX

Banned
Where are you guys from that "Coke" is just the generic term for cola? Every single time I've asked for Coke in a restaurant that doesn't have Coke, they give me the "Pepsi OK?" line. Every time. I have never, in my life, asked for Coke and been tricked into RC without warning. Obviously it's different at someone's house, but if someone gives me off-brand cola while calling it Coke, I thank them, drink it graciously, and then delete their number from my phone, because clearly I'm never talking to them again.

Here in Texas all sodas are usually called cokes.

Being originally from Wisconsin it took me awhile to get used to it. And we called them Pop. Lol

jesu

Yeah, in Ireland I feel rude sometimes because offering tea or coffee is just the de facto 'welcome to my place' greeting, it's a ritual. But I don't drink any hot drinks so I always say no. Which is usually 'I don't plan on staying in your shitty gaff for more than 5 minutes' but for me is just the truth. I'm not drinking shit I don't like just to fulfil a silly social ritual.

tumblr_mtzsut0tAO1sjwg5lo1_500.gif

Caayn

If you're that addicted to "real" Cola that you refuse to drink other brands why not bring your own?
That's why I offer beer, wine or a cocktail to my guests. I rarely have soda at my place.
Then OP would bitch that it isn't the correct beer, wine or cocktail brand.

Hermii

Orangina / Limona master race!

orangina-1-75liter_1.jpg

Edit: I would never complain if I got served Fanta, or some generic brand variant.

score01

Cheap knock off cola is better than coke. I love that stuff. Also, 'Coke' can be used as a general term for a variety of carbonated cola beverages.

Op, would you be upset if someone offered you a Kleenex and you found you were handed an inferior tissue brand?

I've never been a fan of insulting what someone buys and how they live, especially in their own home. I get annoyed when people bitch at me for not having tea-bags when I clearly don't drink tea.

You take that shitty cola, and don't spare a second thought for it. Be grateful for the refreshment. If it's a good friend, make a light joke on it and move on.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
Friendship ended with HOST WHO LABELS CHEAP KNOCK OFF COLAS "COKE"

Now PERSON WITH MORE REASONABLE SODA LABELING is my best friend

eXistor

I started drinking budget-coke becaue I honestly think it's fine. It's half the price of real Coke and it's just as good. It does taste a little bit different of course, but it's not worse.

TCRS

Banned
Op doesn't know about cultural differences on how people name a drink. Some name drinks coke, soda or pop. The normal drink being coke/Pepsi/store brand cola.

Open your mind, there are a lot of things to understand.

there is no great cultural understanding of naming sodas that I have to learn. coke is coke, pepsi is pepsi damn it!

coke is just a catch all term for all those things for some people, including me. i couldnt tell u the difference between coca cola brand coke and pepsi coke. its just coke.

MC Safety

i like RC Cola though

RC Cola is pretty good.

I can understand soda snobbery. But if you're a guest, take what you're given and say thanks.

Unless it is Cel-Rey soda, which is like poison only you'll live to remember the horrid taste and burning sensation.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They ask you "would you like some Coke?" and you say yes, but you did not expect them to come out with that... thing.

You cannot say you don't want it now, because that would be rude.

You reluctantly take it and place it in your mouth fully expecting it to taste like waste water from a washing machine, and it does.

You torture yourself with gulp after gulp, because you don't want to leave the glass standing there full, that would be rude.

You try to hide your disgust, but they can sense it. You can sense that they can sense it. Crap.

Oh God why did I agree to come?
Then go home when it bothers you so much

Coca Cola> RC Cola > Pepsi

I need to quit drinking soda. I've made a massive shift in my diet (salad, chicken, celery, fruit, and peanut butter) over the last couple days, cut out soda and swapped it with even more water instead of soda + water.

Also I feel like complete garbage, as if the caffeine was the only thing keeping me from feeling sick all the time. I assume t his is a sugar addiction sort of deal.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Dude, real hardship is easy. Noone will judge you. But in peaceful, wealthy times people can be petty as fuck.
Some people are 50 and still in Kindergarden going by what they get angry about.

Don't like my coffee/coke/booze? Tell me, guestright is sacred in my household. Almost ;-)

You don't like my gourmet shit, you better step to the streets.

Another beauty of a thread. Nearly as good as the one where people where baffled as to how much water they should drink each day.

I know that "GAF, how do I wipe my ass/the host had cheap toilet paper I'm outraged" thread is coming soon.

Skyzard

Banned
We had a blind taste test of different colas in business studies in my school - about marketing and that.

Tesco cola was the winner by far, real coke wasn't even high on the list.

tesco is a big supermarket chain in the uk.

grimmiq

Guy I was friends with in school sort of did the opposite. My family would buy 24can cartons of coke, this friend would only ever get "Homebrand Cola" they were like 1/3 the cost of a can of Coke, tasted terrible, 1st time he came over we had our cans, we discovered a week or so after his 2nd visit that he'd apparently brought a bunch of his cheap Cola in his bag, pulled out every can from the carton, replaced the bottom row with Homebrand, then put some of the Coca Cola cans back on top..It would've been less obvious if he'd just swiped a couple of cans, parents would've just blamed me or my brother for having too much.

Top Bottom