• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where is the hype for ps4 pro???

pswii60

I said nothing about 'Master Race." Don't be so sensitive. I don't have a gaming PC, and I have a PS4.
My point is, that if people REALLY cared about graphical prowess of their gaming machine, they shouldn't have bought a PS4, and their money would be better spent on a PC, rather than a pro.

Are you really so upset that there's better hardware out there, that you'll extrapolate my post to be some form of boasting about my non-existent rig?

What if you want the convenience of console but with better graphics? That's what I want. I've no interest in getting back in to PC gaming again, I'm too old and busy for that shit. But I do want to take better advantage of my beautiful OLED TV.

valkyre

Are you really so upset that there's better hardware out there, that you'll extrapolate my post to be some form of boasting about my non-existent rig?

Oh dear God please...

No I am not "upset"... I am not 14 years old... I have quite the financial status to have whatever gaming means my heart desires.

This thread is about the Pro and people started throwing words like "outdated" and "PC is much better" which are, like I said, irrelevant.

Yes & I'm sure these will make it on the card

• No UHD Blu-ray
  • No real 4K
  • Sony hasn't told me the benefits for my 1080p TV

• No 60 FPS patch no buy

• I'm going to PC
Can we please put this in every PS4 Pro OP from now on? The echo chamber is killing me.

Again: Sony was putting out the PSVR! I'm sure we'll hear plenty about PS4 Pro in the weeks to come.

Do we really know which games are getting improvements and what kind of improvements?

I don't think so.

We allready know about some games and i think it's safe to assume all upcoming games will too. We don't know what previous games will get an update. I hope more than we know now.

lawtowler

My ps4 is definitely on the way out, it sounds like a plane taking off when running games and recently struggled to load discs.

I've decided to get a new ps4 and I'm leaning more towards a PS4 Pro, rather than the slim.

I always use a monitor for gaming, so if I purchased a 4k compatible monitor (a HELL of a lot cheaper than a 4k TV) could I make the most of the Pro 4k functionality?

It sounds like a stupid question I know but I haven't really seen anyone mention using a monitor for 4k gaming, it just seems like a lot of people saying they don't have 4k TV's yet so I'm wondering whether a 4k monitor is sufficient.

Well its not exactly PS5, so its not like there needs to be mega hype and Sony still hasn't given people all the info yet, so no surprise there isn't a lot of hype yet but saying that, I"m looking forward to it more, now that PSVR is here.

PSVR is great on PS4, especially on games with strong art direction but some games like DriveClub for example, with its more realistic look, are clearly limited by PS4's GPU power and if the Pro can run VR games at a higher native resolution and downsample to the PSVR's 1080p screen, games like DriveClub VR should look a good amount better, thanks to things like better AA from the downsample.

Greddleok

What if you want the convenience of console but with better graphics? That's what I want.

Marginal upgrade. Seems pointless, this is subjective obviously. If I'm spending £200+ on something that is essentially the same box that plays the same games, I expect more than just a few graphical upgrades here and there, especially as they really can't take that much advantage of the hardware considering every game has to be playable on PS4 and PS4 Pro.

This thread is about the Pro and people started throwing words like "outdated" and "PC is much better" which are, like I said, irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant? It is outdated, and PC is better. This thread is about the "hype" for the PS4 pro. It's non-existent because of factors like its low power and PC hardware being superior.
If the PS4 pro was on par with current high-end gaming PCs, then I'd be interested. It's not, so I don't give a shit.

valkyre

How is it irrelevant? It is outdated, and PC is better. This thread is about the "hype" for the PS4 pro. It's non-existent because of factors like its low power and PC hardware being superior.
If the PS4 pro was on par with current high-end gaming PCs, then I'd be interested. It's not, so I don't give a shit.

It is irrelevant because consoles will always be outdated in comparison to PC. Always. Its common knowledge.

Even Scorpio which is aiming quite high, it is going to be outdated compared to a top end PC.

Consoles are now using PC parts... its not hard to understand why they will always be outdated, now more than ever.

Why did you buy a PS4? It was way outdated back when it was announced and eventually released. So by your logic, you buying a PS4 back then is pretty much a mistake. You should have bought a PC instead. See my point now?

Rising_Hei

Hype 0, it's just an improvement of what we already have, and since games have to be PS4 compatible too things can't get crazy.

dealer-

It's still three weeks out, PSVR has just launched. As we get closer I think the hype/interest will build, especially if tangible differences are shown for more games.

Greddleok

It is irrelevant because consoles will always be outdated in comparison to PC. Always. Its common knowledge.

Why did you buy a PS4? It was way outdated back when it was announced and eventually released. So by your logic, you buying a PS4 back then is pretty much a mistake. You should have bought a PC instead. See my point now?

You've missed the point entirely.

The reason I bought a PS4 is because I like consoles, I like the exclusives named for it and I don't give a toss about graphical quality. The only reason someone would upgrade to a PS4 pro, is because they care about graphical quality. There's not going to be exclusives. There's not going to be more new games. There's going to be a small upgrade in fidelity, unless you have a 4K TV.*

There is literally no other reason to upgrade from a PS4 to a Pro. The problem with that upgrade reason, is that the gains you get are insignificant and if you actually want the best looking games, a PC is a far superior option.

*Having a 4K TV and wanting to get the most out of it is a decent reason for buying a Pro. However it seems that you'll also need a 4K blu ray player, which is in my book another knock against the pro. Even then, it's not native, nor will it with this model.

Bioshocker

Am I looking at the same console...so this is ugly now?

_91063549_ps4proconsole.png

29246763210_99b675b514_z.jpg

Yeah its not a change from PS4 design, but to say it is ugly is kinda hyperbole

It's ugly. It looks photoshopped to me, like someone imagining the design of a next-gen console before it's revealed. Ugly and uninspired.

there is no hype when you release a " console " that no one asked for it.

This is what it looks like when someone tries to make a smartass comment but then proceeds to sound dumb.

No one asked for this? No one asks for a lot of shit, but a lot of people now want this console and the future it brings.

valkyre

You've missed the point entirely.

The reason I bought a PS4 is because I like consoles, I like the exclusives named for it and I don't give a toss about graphical quality. The only reason someone would upgrade to a PS4 pro, is because they care about graphical quality. There's not going to be exclusives. There's not going to be more new games. There's going to be a small upgrade in fidelity, unless you have a 4K TV.*

There is literally no other reason to upgrade from a PS4 to a Pro. The problem with that upgrade reason, is that the gains you get are insignificant and if you actually want the best looking games, a PC is a far superior option.

*Having a 4K TV and wanting to get the most out of it is a decent reason for buying a Pro. However it seems that you'll also need a 4K blu ray player, which is in my book another knock against the pro. Even then, it's not native, nor will it with this model.

I am very skeptical about buying a Pro (check my post in previous page) but I disagree with you on this.

Console users like graphics. They might not be as hardcore for the absolute best, but ofcourse and they do care about graphics to a large extend. They also like convenience, exclusive deals and other stuff. But visuals will always captivate most gamers.

Pro in 4K provides a very large upgrade visually. Very large. Check DF impressions.

And it "could" provide a very large upgrade even in 1080p if devs are willing to go through the trouble of having different modes like in Tomb Raider.

Problem is Sony doesnt communicate these things to us very well. For me the acquisition or not of a Pro is about what benefits will I get in 1080p, since 4K is not at the moment where I want it to be performance wise (mainly screen uniformity in OLED TVs and I am waiting for better HDR implementation).

Sony needs to tell me (and a whole bunch of other people) just how better will FFXV will look on my Pro. Or how well the Last Guardian will be or BF1 etc etc. Pro, hardware-wise is a decent upgrade over PS4. Like DF said in their recent analysis, it seem that there is some "secret sauce" involved we still dont know about. Its not going to ever be Scorpio level ofc, and nowhere near PC.

But it still is quite the hardware for the price they sell it at.

Problem is, how that hardware is going to be put in use. We hope that Sony can communicate that better in Paris and maybe raise the hype levels.

For the record, like I said before, I am not hyped at all. A few demos though could sell it to me. Especially FFXV.

JoeNut

It just seems like something only 5% of the userbase would actually see a benefit from, so presumably only a small amount of people will be hyped.

I personally will not buy it unless both my TV and PS4 break

Mendrox

I'm buying it because i have a 1080P screen. You missed every bit of information, it seems.

Yeah I need that new PS4 Pro because of two handful of games which get upgraded at the moment. If there would be more ala "Bloodborne patch incoming, Witcher 3 improvements" etc. and more good games confirmed for Pro patches, then I would need that console, but otherwise I don't give a thought about that thing, because I don't even have a 4k display.

Dredd97

It just seems like something only 5% of the userbase would actually see a benefit from, so presumably only a small amount of people will be hyped.

I personally will not buy it unless both my TV and PS4 break

5%? really?

you are aware that all games published from October onward have to have a pro patch, it's not all about HDR and 4K..

Logsi

It's no different from upgrading your phone which a lot of people seem to do on at the very least every couple of years. It's doing everything the old one did but a little bit better...

Day one for me, 1080p owner.

Ostinatto

It's no different from upgrading your phone which a lot of people seem to do on at the very least every couple of years. It's doing everything the old one did but a little bit better...

Day one for me, 1080p owner.

"a little better" is not a reason to get Hype?

Izuna

Banned
I have the ability to pick up a Pro, and if it's okay to give my perspective, I don't think it makes having a PS4 itself more attractive.

I can't imagine many people who didn't pick up a PS4 will be interested because of the Pro. It's currently the best console graphics still.

I don't fully understand the excitement for the Xbox One S but it seems to do just that.

That means the majority of people are looking to upgrade their current PS4s. I think people are fine with putting off the financial requirement, at least until the holidays, because they likely don't have 4K TVs (let alone HDR). There's that, and the fact that the PS VR is in direct competition with the upgrade while costing even more.

entremet

No UHD drive really killed a lot of enthusiasm for many.

I personally think Sony made the right choice, but they misread their dedicated audience.

No UHD drive really killed a lot of enthusiasm for many.

I personally think Sony made the right choice, but they misread their dedicated audience.

That's a good point. Existing PS4 owners who are thinking of upgrading would be defined as the 'enthusiast', and an UHD drive would have added to the appeal.

JoeNut

5%? really?

you are aware that all games published from October onward have to have a pro patch, it's not all about HDR and 4K..

so 5% is a generalisation but my point is that a small amount of people have HDR/4K TV, and then the majority of them who have a PS4 are unlikely to upgrade to pspro before they actually need to, i.e the ps4 breaks. HDR will be on ps4 anyway.

What are the other improvements? supposed better framerates? an even smaller minority care about that, than those who have 4k tv's.

entremet

That's a good point. Existing PS4 owners who are thinking of upgrading would be defined as the 'enthusiast', and an UHD drive would have added to the appeal.
It was also a huge shift from previous game console launches. DVD with PS2. BR with PS3.

Then the combo breaker with the Pro.

Top Bottom