• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which fighting game should I buy for PS4?

Injustice and Skullgirls are $5 each on NA PSN right now. Both are easy to get into and have a lot of content, especially Injustice.
Other than that, UMvC3 and MKXL are also really good and easy to play.

Get kof14 and Revelator if it's cheap (its better on pc)
Sf5 sucks

lol @ recommending a fighting game scrub get King of Fighters

You guys are just recommending your favorite game without even reading the op. He isn't going to enjoy any KoF or anime fighting game. Marvel or Mortal Kombat are the only ones worth recommending to you op.

Korigama

Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR, KoF XIV, and as others have also mentioned, Skullgirls 2nd Encore (currently on sale on PSN for $5).

You guys are just recommending your favorite game without even reading the op. He isn't going to enjoy any KoF or anime fighting game. Marvel or Mortal Kombat are the only ones worth recommending to you op.
By those standards, Marvel would be a terrible choice (considerably worse actually, seeing as it doesn't do much of anything to try teaching anyone how to play it). It also doesn't have the single-player campaign mode that OP wants.

jerry1594

Im not really a big fan. Im just recommending what i think are decent games and not retarded wastes of time. My metric is different from his though.
Oh yeah marvel sounds for him.

By those standards, Marvel would also be a terrible choice (considerably worse actually, seeing as it doesn't do much of anything to try teaching anyone how to play it).

But Marvel is easy as fuck to learn and do cool looking shit, as is Mortal Kombat. King of Fighters is insanely hard to grasp even to people who know fighting games.

Please don't buy a Guilty Gear or KoF OP, you will be so lost. KoF is pretty good though so if you ever get into the genre more that's one I'd recommend.

Korigama

But Marvel is easy as fuck to learn and do cool looking shit, as is Mortal Kombat. King of Fighters is insanely hard to grasp even to people who know fighting games.

Please don't buy a Guilty Gear or KoF OP, you will be so lost.
Marvel is not easy to learn. At all. That said, both it and Xrd R do allow for "press button, cool stuff happens" since they both have control modes for that. Even KoF XIV has single-button chains by default (movement options and speed make it a bit more advanced than the typical SF, but nothing especially cerebral).

vg260

I would recommend MKXL if you can handle the gore, even if you prefer the SF-style a bit more. I just couldn't recommend SFV if you are a solo player. It's just too bare bones and the content is lacking/frustrating. I'd only recommend it if you plan to play a ton of local vs.

pizzacat

Banned
Secondary fighters, however, if you are more of a hardcore guy, include King of Fighters XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, and Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure.

Im a hardcore dude and can attest to this

xenoverse is the most hardcore experience in my life

JusDoIt

Hilarious. Have you ever played or even watched Marvel? It's about as impenetrable as an anime game.

SFV and MKX are both very casual friendly games (for different reasons). The same cannot be said about MvC3. Maybe MvC:I, but time will tell on that.

pizzacat

Banned
You guys are recommending fighting games, they all require skill and discipline to get into. He can still enjoy all of them at his level (one would argue prolly not sfv because of its content, what little of it it has sucks) but if he wants to get into something he should know its gonna be hard

Get what you feel you will actually play op, if you ever feel like advancing from there stop by the fgc thread in community to play against people from here or learn new shit or whatever

Anne

Pretty much every fighting game requires effort, so just pick whatever you think looks cool because that's what you'll more than likely want to put effort into anyways. Most of the larger mainline fighting games on PS4 are at least fine and have a different pull for diff people.

People getting mad dumb saying "that game is too hard" for a game like KoF which literally has a combo button and is built around characters having similar toolsets. I wouldn't trust a large majority of this forum when it comes to difficulty in fighting games.

Neoxon

Street Fighter V & Mortal Kombat XL are pretty welcoming to newbies from a gameplay perspective, though SFV is light on single player content right now.
I'd also recommend waiting for Tekken 7 & Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. UMvC3, while fun & easy to start playing, isn't very welcoming to casuals this late in its life.

If you want to play with all the characters in SFV (or just have them unlocked for party nights) you are going to end up being set back around $100+ atm unless you find base game on sale. So that would be my reason for not recommending that.

The anime games do actually come with 'Stylish' modes of play that lead for auto combos and stuff like that, so they aren't actually bad recommendations tbh. MK for party situations isn't bad either. SF could be good, but if you want to do cool things with friends, honestly I'd have to recommend KoF or the Anime games. BB and GG also have systems and characters that have easy combos built in through gatlings, so even beginners can feel like they can combo well.

All fighting game are fun and easy to play if you're playing with your friends and you're playing for fun. Going online is a different story. Considering what OP was looking for, KoF and GG are perfectly good recommendations. Not every scrub starts fighting games with Street Fighter. I started with Guilty Gear XX2 and it made me a huge fighting game fan.

Neoxon

If you want to play with all the characters in SFV (or just have them unlocked for party nights) you are going to end up being set back around $100+ atm unless you find base game on sale. So that would be my reason for not recommending that.

The anime games do actually come with 'Stylish' modes of play that lead for auto combos and stuff like that, so they aren't actually bad recommendations tbh. MK for party situations isn't bad either. SF could be good, but if you want to do cool things with friends, honestly I'd have to recommend KoF or the Anime games. BB and GG also have systems and characters that have easy combos built in through gatlings, so even beginners can feel like they can combo well.
SFV can be found for cheap at retail & you can earn a good chunk of the DLC with Fight Money.

Aesthet1c

SFV is my favorite game out of what you have listed. It's fairly easy to get into, much easier than previous SF's in my opinion.

Honestly though, if you are getting a game to mostly play offline and goof around with your friends in, I would say MKXL or Skullgirls would fit your playstyle better.

gelf

From a casual gameplay perspective as long as the basic moves are easy enough to perform the ease or difficulty of the rest of the mechanics don't matter much I'd say. I believe it doesn't make much difference for example that SFV doesn't have 1 frame links because a truly casual player wasn't trying to perform them anyway.

Guilty Gear or KOF having some super advanced mechanics doesn't matter as you can still enjoy the content without ever using them. And both of them are better then SFV for content right now so I find them easier to recommend for casual play. MKXL is probably the best of the lot in all departments for that though.

Pretty much every fighting game requires effort, so just pick whatever you think looks cool because that's what you'll more than likely want to put effort into anyways. Most of the larger mainline fighting games on PS4 are at least fine and have a different pull for diff people.

People getting mad dumb saying "that game is too hard" for a game like KoF which literally has a combo button and is built around characters having similar toolsets. I wouldn't trust a large majority of this forum when it comes to difficulty in fighting games.
Beautiful post. You'd think fighting games were as difficult to learn as quantum physics by some of the posts in here.

nampad

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Looks like I will be getting SFV because it is on sale at the moment in the EU PSN and apparently more scrub friendly than I thought.

I know it does not fit my single player criteria but it has the advantage that pretty much every friend of mine knows it.

Nearly decided for Guilty Gear but somehow the actual game looks different from what I remembered of the initial -Sign- reveal trailer.

Now by "scrub-friends" do you mean have some basic knowledge of Street FIghter and other fighting games, or do you mean absolutely casual, they'd have to look up and take a while learning how to do a hadouken?

If it's the latter, then based off your post I'd recommend MKXL. It has more offline content and is definitely a better "party" game for casuals to pick up, play and enjoy the flashy moves without having much prior knowledge.

If it's the former, where they at least have basic knowledge/skill of Street Fighter (and can do basic hadoukens or shoryukens and what not), then I'd recommend SFV. At this point in time, there is a decent amount of offline content readily available, and I vastly prefer SF gameplay over MK (which it sounds like you do too).

But yeah, MKXL packs so much content though, even when compared to Street Fighter V Deluxe Edition 2017, and can be gotten for less than half its price (or $7 more than base Street Fighter V).

It's pretty save to say that we all played at least Street Fighter before and know some basic special attacks like hadouken, sonic boom or so.

Why not DOA5 Last Round? It's easy to get into but has that depth if you want to dive deeper into that. It's fun and you and your friends can have a laugh at the oversexualized (but imo harmeless) features of the female cast. (If you or you friends are offended by that you can turn jiggle completely off and choose plenty modest costumes.) The game is filled to the brim with content, especially single player content.

Never ld get into the DoA franchise :(

I'd ignore MKX then, as I also really dislike the stiff feel of Injustice and MKX is really no different. You also get a terrible story that lacks the endearing lore craziness of MK9, and the unlocks are dished out so slowly that it kind of soured me on even bothering. Plenty of people disagree though and it is semi-regularly on sale, but given your comment above, don't expect to love it.

In its place, I would seriously consider DOA5LR, as it is the most accessible and flashy of the bunch if you want some fun pick up games with casual friends. Very simple mechanics with plenty of underlying systems to dig into, but the core offense/defense/counter system is just so easy for anyone to have fun with. Even button mashing will lead to some crowd-pleasing acrobatics. The story mode is zany and goofy as well, and even unlocking costumes in the various modes is enjoyable(and with over 1000 in the game, you will be seeing a lot of visual variety on the characters, even if you don't pay a cent to own any of them). Highly underrated.

Oh and Tekken 7 should be coming very soon. Very likely that will be the fighting game that fits your criteria perfectly.

Tekken 7 seems like it might fit the criteria pretty well. I have played a lot Tag Tournament as a kid. It seems like the gameplay got even more focused on juggling or is it just my perception?

It's good to know that MK:X plays similar to Injustice though.

Guilty Gear Xrd: Revalater is my personal favorite on PS4. It's perfect for what described above. The tutorial and training modes are god tier!
BlazBlue: Central Fiction would be my second recommendation.

I was closed to pulling the trigger on Guilty Gear and started watching a youtube clip. Have to say I am not a fan of the character designs I saw and the gameplay seemed combo crazy?

sinkfla87

One of the funniest things I've read in this thread yet is someone saying if you can't hadouken or shoryuken then get MKX lol. Special moves in MKX share similar commands to SF. It wasn't always that way, but it is now. And yeah, all fighting games can be enjoyed at a casual level. As far as online goes, go online in whatever game of your choice and create a lobby (if available) targeted at other players or people just looking for casual fun. Just avoid ranked haha. If you want to learn the more intricate ins and outs there's a wealth of information on all different kinds of fighting games online. YouTube videos helped me.

Kilvas

Not enough love for King of Fighters XIV here. Such a good game and continues to get updates. I like Guilty Gear, but can't stand the standalone revisions. And I got no love for SF5. Also skullgirls is $5 right now. Everyone go buy that.

I was closed to pulling the trigger on Guilty Gear and started watching a youtube clip. Have to say I am not a fan of the character designs I saw and the gameplay seemed combo crazy?
Were the videos you watched of high level players? You won't be playing like that or have to worry about those crazy combos unless you play online in one of the nonbeginners' room. If you're playing with your friends at equal skill level you'll have a good time. I would say it's combo crazy at higher skill levels but if you're playing casually the combos you'll use are not difficult to do. If you want to learn those crazy combos the challenge mode will teach you if you put in the time. Also if you're stuck in someone's combo you can just "Burst" out of it. Like I said before it's not that hard to play and have fun with Guilty Gear. To be good online is a whole other ball game.

If you want to better understand the mechanics and gameplay strategy before you decide to throw down any money, check out Guilty Gear Crash Course.

https://youtu.be/jNKMCOU9_Po

Also what about the character designs didn't you like?

Tizoc

I am in the mood for a fighting game on PS4 again. For your information, I am a total scrub and don't have the time to get serious in online competitive.

I want something that I can play with friends, who are mainly also scrubs, when they come over though I appreciate a good single player/campaign mode.
I could see myself dipping my toes into online if the mechanics are easy enough to learn and the community isn't overtly toxic (yeah, I have heard bad things about fighting game communities).

When SFIV released I was super hyped and bought a Madcatz fighting stick for PS3 so if the PS4 game supports it, it would be very welcome.

Contenders:

-Street Fighter V: It's the series everybody knows and has played so me and my friends will know the characters and basic moves like Hadoukens. It's the series I have most experience with so naturally this would be the one to get.
I heard the single player stuff was pretty barebones at release though and many of the known characters are DLC. Also, the gameplay might be more for esport?

-Mortal Kombat: This is also a well known series everyone has played though I was more in the Street Fighter camp back in the days. I enjoyed the story mode in Injustice and this would be a great plus for me. I did not like the gameplay of Injustice that much though and always preferred the SF gameplay over MK.

-Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator-:
I have never played a Guilty Gear and I guess my friends did neither. I have read that this one has training mode to learn how to play fighting games. I also like the look of it.

-King of Fighters XV: I have never really played a King of Fighters game and I guess my friends did neither. I disliked the 3vs3 aspect of the former KoFs. I included this because it was released just recently with a good critical reception.

From a Single Player Standpoint, SF5 doesn't have the best SP content unfortunately, not even a proper arcade mode (which could've been patched in A YEAR AGO), but I would recommend it if you want something to play offline with friends or family. The system is simple and easy to pick up and play.
Make sure you get the game+2016 character pack Bundle if you could though.

KOF 14 has traditional arcade mode and a big roster and is also easy to play casually although for whatever boneheaded reason, SNK made Lvl. 3 supers have lame inputs for them.

GG Xrd Revelator has a good amount of SP content AND an Easy Input mode for casual play as well.

Other fights to consider for PS4

Garou: Mark of the Wolves, one of SNK's best fighters. This release has basic arcade mode and a survival mode. The roster is small and the system is easy to pick up and play as well.

The Last Blade 2, another of SNK's best fighters, can be played casually and has traditional arcade mode too.

Skullgirls, a 2D fighter that takes inspiration from MvC2. Can be played casually by mashing buttons at least, but is otherwise fun to mess around in.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has easy input mode. I had my nephews over once and they had fun messing around in it in versus mode playing with Simple input option. So def. consider getting this.
Has decent Single Player content too.

World Heroes 1 was released on US PSN recently, this one has a neat single player mode where the stages have hazards. It is an old fighting game though so you may find controlling it to be stiffer if not slower than most modern fighting games. If you are looking for an uncommon SP experience in a fighting game, consider it.

Korigama

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Looks like I will be getting SFV because it is on sale at the moment in the EU PSN and apparently more scrub friendly than I thought.

I know it does not fit my single player criteria but it has the advantage that pretty much every friend of mine knows it.

Nearly decided for Guilty Gear but somehow the actual game looks different from what I remembered of the initial -Sign- reveal trailer.

It's pretty save to say that we all played at least Street Fighter before and know some basic special attacks like hadouken, sonic boom or so.

Never ld get into the DoA franchise :(

Tekken 7 seems like it might fit the criteria pretty well. I have played a lot Tag Tournament as a kid. It seems like the gameplay got even more focused on juggling or is it just my perception?

It's good to know that MK:X plays similar to Injustice though.

Personally, I would recommend DoA5:LR over Tekken 7. In spite of liking Tekken, I'd say that it's a series that's largely impenetrable as far as 3D fighters go. LR, meanwhile, is much easier to get into, and does far more to explain the various mechanics to the player with its tutorial. It's by all means a solid fighter.

I, too, am curious as to what you found off-putting about the character designs for GG (I also wouldn't recommend watching random YouTube videos as an indicator of typical gameplay flow, as each character plays quite differently).

sinkfla87

Not enough love for King of Fighters XIV here. Such a good game and continues to get updates. I like Guilty Gear, but can't stand the standalone revisions. And I got no love for SF5. Also skullgirls is $5 right now. Everyone go buy that.

I agree, KOF is wonderful. I like skull girls, too but I would say it's not one of the more casual friendly games. Haven't played it in forever, though.

qcf x2

KoF is the easy choice for you, OP. It's got the modes, 50 characters, lots of charm and the execution barrier to just have fun isn't that high.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
For Honor.

Beta next week. Release date Feb 14.

Synth

I'd argue that Tekken has developed into probably the least accessible 3D fighter out there tbh (not that there's many left). If you can deal with Dead or Alive's presentation, then I'd recommend that to someone less familiar with the genre and looking to just have some exciting games against friends.

SephLuis

You already decided so if you need help learning the game, go to the OT because there's plenty of people there that can teach you a lot. There's also opponents from scrubs to pros.

SF V is better as a local/online competitive game. Unfortunately the game is super bare bones is regards to single player content. The game itself is very scrub friendly since combos are easier, damage is high and is quicker to learn.

GG is a harder game to master with plenty of mechanics, but it's also an excellent fighter. There's a good amount of SP content, but online it will depend a lot if you find a community near you.

MK I played a little and has tons of SP content, but my experience online was horrible. This was before they patched the online mode with the new netcode so I don't know how it is now.

nampad

Were the videos you watched of high level players? You won't be playing like that or have to worry about those crazy combos unless you play online in one of the nonbeginners' room. If you're playing with your friends at equal skill level you'll have a good time. I would say it's combo crazy at higher skill levels but if you're playing casually the combos you'll use are not difficult to do. If you want to learn those crazy combos the challenge mode will teach you if you put in the time. Also if you're stuck in someone's combo you can just "Burst" out of it. Like I said before it's not that hard to play and have fun with Guilty Gear. To be good online is a whole other ball game.

If you want to better understand the mechanics and gameplay strategy before you decide to throw down any money, check out Guilty Gear Crash Course.

https://youtu.be/jNKMCOU9_Po

Also what about the character designs didn't you like?

Yes, it was some high level gameplay because it was the first video I could find. One of the players used a girl who holds a big anchor and morphs into a dolphin. I thought that looked silly.

Personally, I would recommend DoA5:LR over Tekken 7. In spite of liking Tekken, I'd say that it's a series that's largely impenetrable as far as 3D fighters go. LR, meanwhile, is much easier to get into, and does far more to explain the various mechanics to the player with its tutorial. It's by all means a solid fighter.

I, too, am curious as to what you found off-putting about the character designs for GG (I also wouldn't recommend watching random YouTube videos as an indicator of typical gameplay flow, as each character plays quite differently).

Never liked the DoA gameplay. For the Guilty Gear character design, see above.

For Honor.

Beta next week. Release date Feb 14.

I know for sure that I won't like For Honor. I am not allowed to say why I am so certain though.

I never liked the gameplay.

Korigama

Yes, it was some high level gameplay because it was the first video I could find. One of the players used a girl who holds a big anchor and morphs into a dolphin. I thought that looked silly.

Never liked the DoA gameplay. For the Guilty Gear character design, see above.

I know for sure that I won't like For Honor. I am not allowed to say why I am so certain though.

I never liked the gameplay.
In regards to DoA, that's fair. Some games click, some don't. As for GG, May is one of the sillier characters, by no means representative of the cast at large in spite of the roster being more unconventional. Ones like Sol and Ky represent what's more typical.

I think Guilty Gear has pretty great tutorials to teach you if you want to rise above scrubbiness. But if you're like me and you just want to do cool looking shit, it allows for that too.

gelf

I think Guilty Gear has pretty great tutorials to teach you if you want to rise above scrubbiness. But if you're like me and you just want to do cool looking shit, it allows for that too.
Yeah I'm a total scrub but I enjoy playing the series just learning the special moves and that's it. I played the Xrd tutorial and came across mechanics I just wrote off right away in terms of being viable for me to perform in a match. It didn't stop me enjoying the game one bit.

Sounds like they just don't like the art style though so fair enough if it's not for them in that case.

DSix

Banned
It just downed on me that 3 years after the release of the ps4 there is still no tekken game on the console...

Hedgey

Tekken 7 will be amazing.

Street Fighter V is alright, but I wasn't a fan. If you want all the characters, there's really no reasonable way to unlock them all so be prepared to pay.

I'd say wait for the next MK.

BlazBlue and Guilty Gear have very frequent title updates due to them being arcade games. If you want to stick to the latest, it's quite $$$

KoF is solid, might be the last in the series.

You could probably get MKX for cheap somewhere, Injustice 2 is on its way though so the community on MKX might not be so active. If you can find a deal on SFV go for that. GG Revelator is already getting another version so I would wait, see what the pricing is on it and see if its worth it for you.

Dude OP is german and the game with all available characters is 20 Euro on PSN now

I bought this edition 2 Days ago, Im a solo offline gamer and find the solo content to be plenty. To beat all solo content (yeah all survivals with all characters) its easily 50+ hours.

In 2 Days have I earned enough in game Money to unlock every coming character that Will be released for the coming year. Good value for the Money. I also picked up a fight stick.

TLTR: SFV

JordanN

Banned
Nobody mentioned Last Fight.

It's a modern day Power Stone!!!

MediumTerribleCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif

nampad

Dude OP is german and the game with all available characters is 20 Euro on PSN now

I bought this edition 2 Days ago, Im a solo offline gamer and find the solo content to be plenty. To beat all solo content (yeah all survivals with all characters) its easily 50+ hours.

In 2 Days have I earned enough in game Money to unlock every coming character that Will be released for the coming year. Good value for the Money. I also picked up a fight stick.

TLTR: SFV

Didn't know that you could unlock the DLC characters with ingame money. That's good to know. Did you really manage to unlock all 2016 characters in just 2 days? I just looked up a video for it and it sounded more grindy.

Top Bottom