• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which fighting game should I buy for PS4?

Neoxon

Didn't know that you could unlock the DLC characters with ingame money. That's good to know. Did you really manage to unlock all 2016 characters in just 2 days? I just looked up a video for it and it sounded more grindy.
That's if you dedicate all your efforts towards getting characters & not get side-tracked with Story Costumes or colors.

Mista Koo

If you have no problem with basic input commands pick based on characters and art style. SFV, MKX, and Xrd all look great and play well on a very casual level.

Keep in mind they announced a new update of Xrd recently (which you'll be able to buy as DLC for Revelator), not that it has a lot of content.

That's if you dedicate all your efforts towards getting characters & not get side-tracked with Story Costumes or colors.

Yes correct.

Ok to be fully honest:

Played about 10 hours these two Days and have 450 000 fight Money. 1 character costs 100 000 and 6 new characters are released for 2017. To get up to 600 000 is probably Another 8 hours gaming.

So yeah go for the version that is on sale now thats includes 2016 dlc characters. Play through the modes for fun and learn the game and you have enough in game Money for every 2017 character. Stay away from costumes/stages.

If I enjoy the game and get hooked I guess I Will have to buy season passes for coming years because you can only get fight Money *once* except for winning ranked online which hardly gives you anything

Funny the version that is 20€ now was Selling for about 90€ 11 months ago when the game was released

FSLink

Banned
Didn't know that you could unlock the DLC characters with ingame money. That's good to know. Did you really manage to unlock all 2016 characters in just 2 days? I just looked up a video for it and it sounded more grindy.

No, it's not really realistic. It's pretty grindy and even top players have difficulty unlocking enough Fight Money due to the absurd difficulty of Survival Mode. It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend doing it as a newcomer.

Having said that, I would recommend going with the fighting game that you can play locally or have regular online practice partners with.

So likely SFV.

Guilty Gear is probably the most "complete" package for a fighting game at the moment but it's pretty difficult to initially get into. Still worth picking up later on since it's a stellar game, but if you're looking into getting better at the genre I'd stay away from this for now unless you have a pretty active scene.

HotHamBoy

Ignore the haters, Street Fighter V is quite possibly the best traditional fighting game today. It's accessible for new players with movesets that most people are familiar with and a combo system that actually doesn't require insane 1-frame links.

Secondary fighters, however, if you are more of a hardcore guy, include King of Fighters XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, and Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure.

Does not compute

Artdayne

Nobody mentioned Last Fight.

It's a modern day Power Stone!!!

MediumTerribleCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif

Uh, wow! For the longest time I was trying to remember the name of Power Stone a game I played in the arcades back in the day. As soon as I saw that image, I knew Power Stone had to be the game I was thinking of. That game was a lot of fun.

nampad

Yes correct.

Ok to be fully honest:

Played about 10 hours these two Days and have 450 000 fight Money. 1 character costs 100 000 and 6 new characters are released for 2017. To get up to 600 000 is probably Another 8 hours gaming.

So yeah go for the version that is on sale now thats includes 2016 dlc characters. Play through the modes for fun and learn the game and you have enough in game Money for every 2017 character. Stay away from costumes/stages.

If I enjoy the game and get hooked I guess I Will have to buy season passes for coming years because you can only get fight Money *once* except for winning ranked online which hardly gives you anything

Funny the version that is 20€ now was Selling for about 90€ 11 months ago when the game was released

Wow, I did not realize that the 2016 character pass was included in that version. Yeah, it's pretty much a no brainer for me, just bought it.

Nakadai30

King of Fighters XIV is awesome. Just got a new graphical upgrade. Ton of characters. Super fun. Garou is fantastic on PS4, as is Last Blade 2. SNK is putting some good effort into the PS4.

It's grindy as hell and if you're not good enough you won't be able to unlock all of them.
And you can forget about costumes, colors and stages. If you want to unlock as many characters as possible you can't buy anything else.
It's not something the casual fan should depend on.

Quebaz

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev. has plenty of single players modes and gallery unlocks to enjoy as well as a 5 hour Story Mode movie. It also has a Stylish mode were each face button does an auto combo and there's a button dedicated to specials and supers.

KoF14 has 50 characters, a giant gallery mode spanning artwork from the entire KoF series, multiple arcade mode endings along with a few hidden ones and pressing [] does an auto-combo as well.

You can't go wrong with either of these 2 really, unless you add BlazBlue Central Fiction to the mix.

I was in the same boat as you, total rookie when it comes to fighting games but love playing them.

Mortal Kombat is a great choice, has a entertaining story mode that bounces between characters so you get a good feel for a portion of the roster, has multiple towers that reset on a hourly/daily/weekly basis with a huge amount of unlocks. The faction meta game also provides a little bonus incentive to play on a regular basis too.

Even when I was brave enough to dip my toe in online play, I was getting matched up with people on my terrible level pretty regularly, so don't be afraid to try it out.

GAMETA

Banned
SFV is a great game if you can overlook the lack of sp content and Capcom's stupid DLC politics. Core gameplay is awesome!

Pretty much every fighting game requires effort, so just pick whatever you think looks cool because that's what you'll more than likely want to put effort into anyways. Most of the larger mainline fighting games on PS4 are at least fine and have a different pull for diff people.

People getting mad dumb saying "that game is too hard" for a game like KoF which literally has a combo button and is built around characters having similar toolsets. I wouldn't trust a large majority of this forum when it comes to difficulty in fighting games.

Basically my thoughts. I really wish there wasn't such a stigma attached to easy input modes.

My recommendation though? Play Guilty Gear

Mr Rivuz

If you are in Europe SFV is dirty cheap right now, bought it today for 19.99€ including the 2016 character pass.
Personally i bought all those games you listed in the last month, and will never get good with any of them LOL

qcf x2

SFV is a great game if you can overlook the lack of sp content and Capcom's stupid DLC politics. Core gameplay is awesome!

Yeah but other fighters don't require such caveats and it's not like SFV is the only fighter with solid core gameplay, so what's the selling point for somebody looking to buy only one?

KoF is solid, might be the last in the series.

Source?

Anyway, did OP decide yet?

bnx

Yeah but other fighters don't require such caveats and it's not like SFV is the only fighter with solid core gameplay, so what's the selling point for somebody looking to buy only one?

Source?

Anyway, did OP decide yet?

SFV

stn

Having played these games extensively, you should get the following if you...

SFV
-Easiest to play
-Solid roster but not the best out of the three
-Decent music
-Shitty single-player in general
-Multiplayer good when it works

KOF14
-Hardest to play (hops take time to get used to)
-Great roster
-Solid music
-Multiplayer works but harder to find players
-Single-player options are decent

MKX
-Not the hardest to play but not the easiest (I find the input cancel window to be harsh, and some characters require really high execution)
-The best single-player experience by far
-Great multiplayer
-Good roster with a ton of variety

Personally, I prefer the core gameplay of Street Fighter. But I prefer everything else from the other titles. You can't go wrong with any of them, just depends on what your priorities are.

Rubik8

Ultra Street Fighter IV is only $25 and it's fully featured with tons of fighters included. Yeah it's a last gen remaster, but great value.

DansDans

I know I am late but they don't call it the King of Fighters for nothing! That'd be my choice

Also the guy above that reckons KOF14 is the hardest of the bunch to play - disagree totally. Like all fighting games it has hard to master characters but it also has the advantage of having a bigger roster of easier to play characters too

Top Bottom