• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White supremacist Maryland man comes to NYC to murder black men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Air

Banned
Prison. End of.

That'd be nice but we know that doesn't help all the time re: black people and the police.

I just want the government to recognize that racism is a real problem and to be able to intervene before it gets to this level.

Nephtis

I wonder why racists have gotten increasingly vocal and violent in the last while? Can't possibly be because Trump has incited and created a platform for violence against various minority groups throughout his campaign and beyond.

The problem is that they're not afraid anymore because they feel they won't be punished for it, but he isn't some anomaly. I only see these acts becoming more common beyond this. I don't think he should be held at some elevated status of racism, though. I doubt he has any additional immediate problems that resulted in this, because he gave up on one and immediately sought out a target he could off more easily. Too cognizant.

Well, yeah - he chose the target that will offer the least resistance. Most people would at least use a gun to keep some distance from their victims. This guy went full blown fuck it and used a sword of all things to kill someone. That total lack of fear is what puts him on an elevated status for me.

Trump is just making it easier for more and more people to cross that line - to lose that fear that holds them back.

Lois_Lane

That'd be nice but we know that doesn't help all the time re: black people and the police.

I just want the government to recognize that racism is a real problem and to be able to intervene before it gets to this level.
What do black people and the police have to do with this?

MIMIC

Banned
That whole article......

He went to the library to read about what he did, went to the police station and confessed, TOLD them about how he hated black people and how he kept details of his hatred on his laptop.....

What a positively fucked up creature. Hope he gets the maximum punishment.

Derwind

Would it be better if he killed white and black with his sword? There is way more wrong with this guy then just racism.
I guess since he admits premeditated murder this should be capital punishment? Unless he goes for an insanity plea.

I know your banned but I got to wonder, did you actually think about what you were posting? Thats a rhetorical question.

The man was specifically targeting black men for extermination and stabbed a fucking sword through another man's chest.

Yet we want to downplay his warped ideology?

Bro enjoy the L.

Air

Banned
No.

Racism isn't a fucking mental illness. People are racist because there is a *blinking lights* Culture of Racism *blinking lights* in this country stemming from its founding. A culture of racism that gets passed on from generation to generation. A culture of racism that has never been fully addressed. From Emancipation, to Martin Luther King Jr and the end of Jim Crow, to the Black Power Movement of the 70s, to the first Black President, we just look for reasons to sweep it under the rug and pretend that we're beyond it. Meanwhile, that culture of racism grows and sustains itself.

That racist piece of shit may have been out of his goddamn mind to go out and actively look for people to kill, but that doesn't explain his racism. In this country, it is perfectly normal and well-adjusted for white people to hate black people. Because rarely do they face the consequences for their retched beliefs, and rarely do our so-called allies get over their fear of disturbing the fucking dinner table to call them out on those beliefs.

Look dude I'm on your side, I'm black and I know black history and I know this countries history. But do you really think the government is doing enough to dissuade people from acting out on these impulses? Prison would be nice but we know that from your post and reality that doesn't really happen at the rate it should.

I think we can both be right here, but it seems my statement has angered a ton of people so I can bow out of this line of conversation to stop controlling the thread.

What do black people and the police have to do with this?

Because racist cops who kill black people don't always go to prison?

Speevy

Banned
A horrible thought is that Frederick Douglass (born last month) was born in Maryland as a slave and escaped to New York City so he could spread the word of how evil racism was through the media.

I don't know what the hell this has to do with the story at hand but it made me sad.

Reeks

Well you're all correct, but when I say treated as a mental illness I mean that we as a society need to know that people who are racist are also not in a right/ normal well adjusted state of mind.

It's an extra means to let people know that this is not ok.
Leave mental illness out of this. Tired of people painting the mentally ill as violent. It's ok to have mental illness, btw. And it's too easy to call someone crazy because then we don't have to take a hard look at our society.

besada

Banned
Violence isn't mental illness. The mentally ill are nor more likely to be violent than the neurotypical.

Violence is a trait inherent in mankind, this weird desire to see it treated as a mental illness ignores that it's an action, not a state of being, and it's an action doable by anyone at any time under the right circumstances.

And while some features of racism may be genetic, this is not that. This is someone who has bought into it wholeheartedly as a choice. It's someone who has chosen to self-identify as a white supremacist, because it's easier to blame other people for his problems than it is to address them.

Laziness and willingness to blame others also isn't mental illness, but a common feature in most people.

So let's quit going on about mental illness until there's some clinical evidence that the person in question was mentally ill, shall we?

Breads

Banned
Looks like a recreation of Roman gladius or something like that.

I wonder, do white supremacist use Roman symbols? I know they've perverted Norse and viking mythology and stuff at least.
It's a gladius machete from coldsteel. I have one for yard work. I have their kukri too. They were both on sale for $20 each. He probably just got it because they are cheap but utility grade reliable. Crazy imaging how much hatred one must have in order yo pin someone to the ground with it. Christ..

Derwind

Violence isn't mental illness. The mentally ill are nor more likely to be violent than the neurotypical.

Violence is a trait inherent in mankind, this weird desire to see it treated as a mental illness ignores that it's an action, not a state of being, and it's an action doable by anyone at any time under the right circumstances.

And while some features of racism may be genetic, this is not that. This is someone who has bought into it wholeheartedly as a choice. It's someone who has chosen to self-identify as a white supremacist, because it's easier to blame other people for his problems than it is to address them.

Laziness and willingness to blame others also isn't mental illness, but a common feature in most people.

So let's quit going on about mental illness until there's some clinical evidence that the person in question was mentally ill, shall we?

10/10

But therein lies the rub: the crazies that have become the alt-right over the years developed through this. Religious Component, Holy Roman Empire, Democracy is weakness, and etc.

They've been using actual Roman symbolism for a while, now. If I had to hazard a guess, it was because of how Nazis used Roman symbolism, but that they wanted to get a little more abstract on the way down.

And while the memes appear on its face to be related more to Warhammer 40k
(I think we can all agree that only the most...touched in the head people would worship a decaying corpse on a rotting throne)
further use of latin phrases, Roman regalia, open idolization of the HRE among their numbers, beyond the use of simple image macros, leads me to believe otherwise.

Still, it might just be an extra layer of abstraction from Nazi use of Roman symbols and standards. To the best of my knowledge, neonazis tend to grip onto anything they see as quintessentially 'white' (by their own definition), to label and categorize their own organizations.

Which is funny since the Roman Empire was one of the most multi-ethnic states in the world at the time (not to mention the obvious fact that they'd be confused af at the modern concept of race), while the HRE, as often joked, was little more than a loose confederation of German states that bickered amongst each other, the emperor had no real authority as the centuries wore on, and the Prussians and Habsburgs began coalescing their power.

Sch1sm

Well, yeah - he chose the target that will offer the least resistance. Most people would at least use a gun to keep some distance from their victims. This guy went full blown fuck it and used a sword of all things to kill someone. That total lack of fear is what puts him on an elevated status for me.

Trump is just making it easier for more and more people to cross that line - to lose that fear that holds them back.

Regardless of how you want to spin his actions, there's no racism+, or racism lite. You're either racist, or you're not racist, with varying degrees of how loud you are. Differentiating him from other racists only makes others think, "Oh, well, I'm not that bad." They're just as bad when it comes to their ideals, they're just not terrorists.

He's a terrorist, that's where they differ. What you're using to set him apart is the fact that he murdered someone, which is awkward and has nothing to do with the definition of racism anyway:

Google said:
1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

2. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

He's not more or less racist. Full stop.

Hmm..There you go again making sense..

Cocaloch

Dude likes swords. Let's give him all the media exposure he can handle.

I don't understand why that makes him an historian. I'm an historian and I don't care much about swords. I'd also appreciate not being somehow tied in with this man.

Which is funny since the Roman Empire was one of the most multi-ethnic states in the world at the time (not to mention the obvious fact that they'd be confused af at the modern concept of race)

The same could be said for the various ancient Celtic and Germanic people that white supremacists draw on. What important here isn't wie es eigentlich gewesen, but instead popular conceptions of identity and race/ethnicity.

White supremacists can feel the energy emanating from the White House. It's possible this thug wouldve murdered a Black person just the same if Hillary Clinton was in office, but its undeniable there's an uptick in the amount of racial terrorism since Trump assumed his presidency.
White supremacists know and recognise every wink and nod in the book (they love speaking in code and hidden symbols) and Steve Bannon has given them ALL of it, especially with his continued references to "Camp of the Saints" ,a book promoting murderous violence against non-Whites.

Speevy

Banned
I don't understand why that makes him an historian. I'm an historian and I don't care much about swords. I'd also appreciate not being somehow tied in with this man.

It was a joke, like "we got a historian over here".

I do apologize for that, though. No disrespect to actual historians.

Prison. End of.

What about people who have committed no crime? That's the problem; parsing who is most likely to commit a crime based on racist ideologies from people who "only" have the (toxic) biases that perpetuate institutional racism. We don't know until they plan, and mostly when they carry out an attempt, of a crime, whether they were likely to do so or not.

Prison removes one sack of shit. We have a mountain of them with more piled on by the day.

How do we fix it? We can wait for the mountain to decompose while trying minimize the number that are added, but that makes it worse in the long run, because the shit sacks that are added to Mt. Shitsack are mostly kids whose parents are shitsacks enforcing and imparting their views, and active pushback from society at large has trended in the direction of making them double and triple down.

But making that a mental illness might give us a way to strip children from them, so it'd minimize the number of shitsacks added to the mountain.

If that sounds horrifying, it's because it is. Even THEN, it's the most palatable solution I can come up with that might actually work. We'd still have to wait generations to see a meaningful change. However, I've no real faith in this plan, because we don't have the critical infrastructure or the enforcement necessary to treat racists even if they are clinically treatable in the first place. It's a very hard sell for an decreasingly likely payoff.And t hat's assuming that racist is a mental illness, instead of biases compounded atop one another ultimately returning to how, when, and where they were raised.

I am convinced that there is no easy solution, and surely no impactful solution that keeps liberal values intact. It is not for me to decide if that's worth the sacrifice.

If we could manage to ban hate speech under penalty of law, it might go a long way to minimizing this sort of thing, but that'd require an amendment to the Constitution, and as such, is not a reasonable solution.

:(
XREofuk.png

Man... I feel terrible right now. RIP Timothy.

Nephtis

Regardless of how you want to spin his actions, there's no racism+, or racism lite. You're either racist, or you're not racist, with varying degrees of how loud you are. Differentiating him from other racists only makes others think, "Oh, well, I'm not that bad." They're just as bad when it comes to their ideals, they're just not terrorists.

He's a terrorist, that's where they differ. What you're using to set him apart is the fact that he murdered someone, which is awkward and has nothing to do with the definition of racism anyway:

He's not more or less racist. Full stop.

I mean, I don't disagree with you?

My point is that it isn't so much a "mental illness" like others were talking about as much as people simply losing the fear that was holding them back. Those racists are far more scary than your typical racist. I'm not saying he is any less racist than others.

The same could be said for the various ancient Celtic and Germanic people that white supremacists draw on. What important here isn't wie es eigentlich gewesen, but instead popular conceptions of identity and race/ethnicity.

True, though I don't know why they're appropriating Celtic culture since some hardcore white supremacists don't see them as white.

And seriously, the fact that the dude used a gladius to commit this crime is the most fucked up thing to me besides his psychopathic racism. Fuck this administration and its normalization of this shit.

I mean, I don't disagree with you?

My point is that it isn't so much a "mental illness" like others were talking about as much as people simply losing the fear that was holding them back. Those racists are far more scary than your typical racist. I'm not saying he is any less racist than others.

Far less. To YOU..right? I'm curious how this works.

Slayven

Well you're all correct, but when I say treated as a mental illness I mean that we as a society need to know that people who are racist are also not in a right/ normal well adjusted state of mind.

It's an extra means to let people know that this is not ok.
Why does racism need to extra means to show it is bad?
The way I saw it explained was that the people would get exposure therapy. There were already articles and studies done that show exposure to different groups leads to a decline in racism, my proposal would just force states to recognize the issue and do something about that. I'm not saying these guys shouldn't be jailed or anything by the way, but we need a shift in how we approach this issue I think.

fair point, but I do think this guy exhibited a ton of other mental health issues to take it as far as he did.

Look guys I'm not married to the idea, I'm just as angry and upset about it as you all are, but I also want to see real physical improvements to these situations and we have to have a dialogue somehow about how to treat people who act out their hate.
Vast majority of racists are exposed to those they hate, yet they still racist. If you,as a black person, wants to live with them and defend your humanity on a daily basis. Do you, but fuck that being expected

wildfire

Banned
Thankfully too stupid to avoid getting caught immediately

Unfortunately someone ended up dying while he was carrying a sword.

I hope after Trump is taken down it gets better instead of worse.

Air

Banned
Why does racism need to extra means to show it is bad?

Vast majority of racists are exposed to those they hate, yet they still racist. If you,as a black person, wants to live with them and defend your humanity on a daily basis. Do you, but fuck that being expected

To 1. Because our current system doesn't do enough in regards to racism to prevent incidents such as this. Here's an article about if extreme racism should be treated as a mental health issue from the national institute of health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071634/

My point being you want to remove any instance of these attitudes festering at all levels of society. You can't just do that by sending everyone whose racist to jail, you want to be able to rehabilitate them.

2. I never said I wanted to live with them or defend my humanity everyday, but I think we are all fed up with stories like this and instead of condemning the acts after the fact, I believe we can take pre-emptive action to dissuade future incidents like this from happening.

I think this is more productive than just saying r.i.p. and reacting emotionally and saying throw these people in jail. I believe we owe it to victims of racists to remove any and all avenues of the expression of those ideals at every level and with the way our current society is structured, it's completely lackluster and impossible to do.

o_O

I don't know what you meant by "to YOU". Like, what were you implying? Did you think I was white or something? Help me out here, man.

I ain't implied shit. You don't understand what "to you" means? Really? What does "white" have to do with anything? Is that an exclusive white thing? Cojone, mi hermano..any other fanfic I should be made aware of? 😕

But why isn't this on every network tho, right?

Insert boys n the hood quote about tv news not giving a shit about colored people dying

Anyways I hope this guy gets life in prison

But just as importantly this story needs wide coverage to further attempt to expose this poison that has been showing more of its face the last couple years

Breads

Banned
But why isn't this on every network tho, right?

How many white nationalist terrorists have killed people this year so far? I can think of a few.

I just looked up the statistics and you are 5 times more likely to die in a heatwave than you are from foreign terrorism. Refugee terrorism is 1:46,000,000 and illegal immigrant terrorism 1:138,000,000. Visa waiver 0:1.

They don't want to talk about domestic terrorists though unless their parents are immigrants. It doesn't sell as well as wanting to ban muslims for reasons.

Zoggy

"Trans people are mentally ill, Let's put them jail, because they might rape kids"

"Literal white supremacist killers are mentally ill, let's get them some help."

Uwotm8

Meanwhile the WH brings up a rape case involving immigrants because it never would have happened if we built a wall. But they won't talk about this because white supremacists are too important to their base support.

Every day I'm surprised/not surprised by what is happening in this country.

Very saddened by this loss. Timothy Caughman seemed like a good dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom