• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White supremacist Maryland man comes to NYC to murder black men

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why we need to keep the death penalty on the books federally. Seriously. Some crimes are so unspeakably awful that not applying it would make its existence meaningless. Full disclosure: I freaking hate that the death penalty is still around in today's world, but if we're going to let it continue to exist it does need to have some application. Said the same thing for the Boston marathon bombers.
I say we test a katana on his fucking ass since he's a historian.
Check with the History Channel. They probably have shows for that stuff! I admit I didn't know there was a market for functional replicas of roman weaponry.

I joked to myself that Fox News immediately would be looking for juvenile records.

The fact that two NY papers are smearing the victim at lightning speed is upsetting.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Whats up with Maryland and swords? When i was in college there were three separate instances of people being killed by swords in the Baltimore area. Different people, entirely different situations too.

I blame RenFest

Shit is huge here.

Why won't the president admit the country has a problem with white supremacist terrorism?

He won't even say the words.

Etc etc etc

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Meanwhile the WH brings up a rape case involving immigrants because it never would have happened if we built a wall. But they won't talk about this because white supremacists are too important to their base support.

Every day I'm surprised/not surprised by what is happening in this country.

Very saddened by this loss. Timothy Caughman seemed like a good dude.

I am not surprised at all at the non-reaction by the WH. I am not surprised that the media has treated this story like a lost dog instead of how serious it is. Not surprised that this thread is on the 3rd page while people jailbreaking their tractor is cemented on the 1st.

The masses don't care about black people or most minorities in general unless they are entertainers.

Trump tweeted out an acknowledgment for the American killed in the London terror attack yesterday. He didn't say anything about the terror attack that killed a citizen on US soil.
Obama would never be so callous.

WedgeX

Banned
The NY Times had a description of the victim yesterday, which I cannot now find, that was absolutely heartbreaking.

Fucking racists.

Update:
-The killer says he stabbed Tim Caughman as "practise", he wanted to go to Times-Square and murder more Black men in a kind of theatrical killing spree.
-The leading prosecutor says his charges may be upgraded because the killing was "most likely an act of terror" (this is an important distinction)
-The killer's lawyer is suggesting his client may present a "mental illness" defense.

Update:
-The killer says he stabbed Tim Caughman as "practise", he wanted to go to Times-Square and murder more Black men in a kind of theatrical killing spree.
-The leading prosecutor says his charges may be upgraded because the killing was "most likely an act of terror" (this is an important distinction)
-The killer's lawyer is suggesting his client may present a "mental illness" defense.

Nah, not mental illness. Straight up terrorism.

Damn shame, and people still want to play cute with racists.

Seriously. Don't treat pieces of shit like this racist asshole with gloves. They need to be shut down at every opportunity. They need to know that shit like them will be tolerated. Also this dude needs to get his ass beat. Wholesale.

Air

Banned
Update:

Link?

peter0611

This really deserves focus here. They made a point to emphasize how well dressed the killer was and whatnot while painting Caughman like some kind of thug who was still "not cooperative" with police even when he was dying. It's so fucked up that when Yahoo (or AOL? I read this earlier) first ran the story, having seen the information presented this way, they thought all the criminal priors listed for Caughman were actually Jackson's because, well, normally when you're writing about a crime like this, it's the perpetrator's priors you'd bring up!

That's fair and balanced reporting, duuuuh.

Vengal

I blame RenFest

Shit is huge here.

Two I remember we're katanas so not sure if they were renfest related. One had multiple witness reports if a man running down Pratt Street with a sword over his head covered in blood. Police found him in a bar later and he confessed to have decapitated someone with the sword earlier in the day. The other was a home invasion near Federal Hill and the robber was unlocky to find a guy in the garage he broke into messing with his katana. Cut the robbers hand off and the guy bled to death fleeing the scene.

Holy shit. This should be treated the same as the tragedy in London.

Trump, where is the organization that's going to give a voice to victims of hate crime? Fucking joke.

Rest in peace :(

Boney

Banned
What a fucked up way to go. RIP.

Everything I've read regarding vets is that conflict really ends up leaving you in psychosis. Empire not even providing adequate mental care is rotten.

This guy did a horrific act and he needs to be in jail as he's a danger to all of us. But this kind of tragedies
, at least some of them, could be avoided with proper mental health care to vets.

The way this was seemingly covered is appalling.

Air

Banned
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/us/racially-motivated-stabbing-new-york/

http://abc7ny.com/news/prosecutor-killing-of-black-man-in-nyc-most-likely-an-act-of-terrorism/1814229/

Im glad this prosecutor isnt mincing words about the fact this was a terror attack. I resent the fact that certain segments of the population want to play semantic games with this term when it comes to White supremacist violence.

Thanks and agreed. The second article definitely calls it a terror attack.

WTF

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...lash-fatal-nyc-sword-attack-article-1.3006653

"White supremacists condemn NYC sword attack, fear they will be 'unfairly discriminated against'

Anglin whined in Thursday's post that white supremacists will now "be subject to unfair scrutiny and prejudice." He wrote that people with swastika tattoos, screwdriver T-shirts and shaved heads "will be unfairly discriminated against."

The Daily Stormer founder also said that "society" should now rally around white supremacists, and encouraged people to "accompany" white supremacists on their way to work and to use the #IllRideWithYou hashtag on social media."

But he was blunt about his prejudices when questioned by detectives. According to a law enforcement official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity since the investigation is continuing, “He told the cops, ‘I’ve hated black men since I was a kid. I’ve had these feelings since I was a young person. I hate black men.’”

It’s unclear what he did after leaving the Army, though he seemed lost. In the spring of 2015, he was nearly evicted from an apartment building in Baltimore’s Mount Vernon neighborhood for falling behind on his rent, according to Marcus Dagan, who was filling in then as the building’s manager.
Speaking by phone from Omaha, where he now lives, Mr. Dagan said Mr. Jackson occupied a one-bedroom apartment and was at least six months in arrears.
Mr. Dagan described him as a “slob” and a “deadbeat,” who refused to let anyone inside his apartment and never engaged in the building’s social atmosphere. “He turned into the tenant from hell,” Mr. Dagan said.

He began eviction proceedings, but Mr. Jackson left before they were completed. The apartment, Mr. Dagan said, was the most disgusting thing the person hired to clean it had ever seen.

Like many New Yorkers living spare lives in their retirement years, Mr. Caughman was once someone else, his identity not defined by empty pockets and a modest address.

He was born in Jamaica, Queens, and grew up in a comfortable apartment in the South Jamaica Houses. One of his cousins said the family has roots in Georgia dating back to the 1700s when their ancestors were first brought to America as slaves.

He was the son of Tula Caughman, a home health care aide for wealthy residents of nearby Jamaica Estates, and Russell Henry Caughman, the pastor of Mount Zion Baptist Church.
Growing up, he was called Hard Rock, for he knew his way around a boxing ring — and a street fight. “He was known in the community as not to be someone who started a fight, but if you started it, he finished it,” said one of his cousins.

According to Seth Peek, another cousin, Mr. Caughman earned an associate degree at Brooklyn College and went on to further schooling in Staten Island.

For several years in Queens, Mr. Caughman ran a division of the Neighborhood Youth Corps, a federal antipoverty program designed to provide part-time jobs to poor youths. “He probably gave out about two or three thousand jobs to people in the community,” said one of his cousins.

For the last 20 years, he lived in a room at the Barbour Hotel on West 36th Street that now houses formerly homeless people transitioning to permanent housing.

Svein Jorgensen, the chief executive of Praxis Housing Initiatives, which manages the Barbour, said that of the 100-odd residents, Mr. Caughman was one of the few who were actually permanent tenants and not part of the transient program. In reports of the murder, Mr. Caughman was incorrectly assumed to be homeless.

Late Monday evening, as Mr. Caughman rooted through trash on Ninth Avenue, near his home, a white man in a dark coat approached him from behind. He said nothing. The man withdrew a sword from beneath his coat.

A woman heard commotion, but didn’t realize what was actually happening and she ran off. But she told detectives she heard Mr. Caughman say, “Why are you doing this? What are you doing?”
A Man Who Hated Black Men Found a Victim Who Cared for Others

^^This is great reporting. A nice contrast to the mean spirited filth from the Daily News and NY Post.

WTF

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...lash-fatal-nyc-sword-attack-article-1.3006653

"White supremacists condemn NYC sword attack, fear they will be 'unfairly discriminated against'

Anglin whined in Thursday's post that white supremacists will now "be subject to unfair scrutiny and prejudice." He wrote that people with swastika tattoos, screwdriver T-shirts and shaved heads "will be unfairly discriminated against."

The Daily Stormer founder also said that "society" should now rally around white supremacists, and encouraged people to "accompany" white supremacists on their way to work and to use the #IllRideWithYou hashtag on social media."
WHAT THE WHAT ?!?

Wallach

WTF

geeeeeeeeeeeeet fucked

Dai101

Banned
Update:

Let's hope the judge and jury don't get fooled for the "mental illness" crap.

WTF

dumb-reaction-gifs.gif

WTF

"Unfairly discriminated against"? Sit on my fist and rotate.

Sou Da

WTF

This is the logical end of "both sides" rhetoric

PolishQ

So I just learned that the killer went to the same high school that I did in Baltimore. I graduated 6 years before him, but it's a K-12 school so he was probably there in sixth grade when I was in twelfth. It's a Quaker school that teaches students acceptance and compassion and to solve problems nonviolently. In short, I'm baffled and disturbed. Ugh.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
WTF

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3006653

lld6j5o.gif

rjinaz

WTF

In their minds White people are always the victim. It's disgusting, they have no sympathy for this Black man at all (probably wish there were more victims) and that's obvious when they make it about them.

In their minds White people are always the victim. It's disgusting, they have no sympathy for this Black man at all (probably wish there were more victims) and that's obvious when they make it about them.
What about the poor white victims of this tragedy? What about the white people!!?!?

Fucking insane.

johnsmith

remember me
Anyone read the Times story? It's heart breaking. Timothy Caughman was a sweet old man. The killer is a piece of shit who lived in shit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/23/nyregion/james-harris-jackson-timothy-caughman.html

Speaking by phone from Omaha, where he now lives, Mr. Dagan said Mr. Jackson occupied a one-bedroom apartment and was at least six months in arrears.

Mr. Dagan described him as a “slob” and a “deadbeat,” who refused to let anyone inside his apartment and never engaged in the building’s social atmosphere. “He turned into the tenant from hell,” Mr. Dagan said.

He began eviction proceedings, but Mr. Jackson left before they were completed. The apartment, Mr. Dagan said, was the most disgusting thing the person hired to clean it had ever seen.

I went through Mr. Caughman's twitter and ya he seemed like a really cool guy who was just living a chill life and enjoying himself.

WTF

Theyre trying to make a statement about how Muslims feel after terrorist attacks. Thought they were being clever.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Spicer was just given a question about this.

His response? The President was right about the anti-semitic threats not being done by the right (in the case of the two which were proven "false-flags"), and people on the left need to apologize. So don't jump to conclusions that this was a hate crime against blacks.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

His response? The President was right about the anti-semitic threats not being done by the right (in the case of the two which were proven "false-flags"), and people on the left need to apologize. So don't jump to conclusions that this was a hate crime against blacks.

I was literally just now searching for this thread to post that.

What an absolutely despicable response. I couldn't fucking believe Spicer said that.

Even when the fucker said he wanted to "murder more black men"?

I'm begging for the media to call Spicer out on this. Trying to normalize the murder of an elderly black man by an admitted white supremacist.

Well now I'm fucking furious

I don't even know what else to say. This story is heartbreaking. This lovely man was killed for no reason but pure racial hatred, a fact the killer readily confessed to. And this is the response from the voice of the president.

I'm sitting over here trying to convince some people in my family that this is a white supremacist administration and they are over here not even hiding it. Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom