• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here has quit gaming because of the rise in toxicity?

N3DS

No. There were some asses when I was playing league of legends but that wasn't the reason I quit that game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah when I started gaming toxicity levels were only around 56% and now they're like 87%... I mean, it's tolerable, but I'm out soon.

specdot

Is Overwatch really handing out L's like that? I remember on one of the free weekends I played I was messing around with Widowmaker and zipping from rooftop to rooftop and after the match was over I had some salty ass people sending hate mail, from my own team. I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while. I guess different people have different tolerance levels. You should play Destiny OP. Best community I've been in a long time. 😬😬😬

I slowed gaming down dramatically. Mainly it's FFXIV with the occasional game here and there. No more communities for me, save for this one since I like Off-Topic far more these days.

It's not the toxicity really, or the "us or them" label politics, just my interest in gaming waned with each passing year.

Soroc

I hate the word "toxicity" but it's the best word I can think of currently.

I think I've reached that point. Tomorrow I'm packing everything up gaming related and taking my cash bounty of 1300 dollars from GameStop and more than likey never touching this hobby again.

Since that nonsense happened a couple of years ago it's been really, really hard to look at gaming in a positive light and wanting to be associated with it.

I read an article, it's politically charged. The comments are a shit show on both sides filled with adults who are way too old to be displaying behavior fit for 3rd graders.

I try to watch streams and people are sexually harassed and being threatened with violence constantly.

I read about museum and video game archival projects that have interested me being shut down because of gamergate.

There's no fun anymore. Everything in gaming has such a large amount of politics and shit people associated with it that I can't by association support it anymore. The dregs of society have won yet again and I guess they got what they wanted by running people like me away from gaming to save "gamers"

I just can't deal with it anymore.

OP don't take this the wrong way but nothing in this post is about the act of "gaming". What you are talking about is a bunch of social branches of gaming. Just game dude and enjoy the art, sound and game play, simplify the hobby back to a time where all this other crap didn't exist. I barely ever read articles about games, I try them out for myself. I don't watch streams of games, I play them.

You need to detach yourself from the cancers of gaming that your are running into. There is no need to abandon an entire hobby unless you really feel like you just don't enjoy actually playing a game anymore.

I think it would be quite astounding for anyone to answer yes to the question in the OP.

"Yes, I completely quit playing all games because of the toxicity in online gaming communities etc but naturally I still read industry news and post on gaming forums"

The smart thing to do would be to quit reading all the online nonsense and just play whichever games you are personally interested in.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm more likely to quit all game related internet communities, including GAF, before quitting gaming because of its image. They're far more toxic than the games themselves.

Guarantee you the OP will "quit gaming", but still find himself reading GAF and every other community that made him quit.

sjay1994

I'm more likely to quit all game related internet communities, including GAF, before quitting gaming because of its image. They're far more toxic than the games themselves.

I'm in a similar boat.

I don't think I'll ever quit gaming, but I find discussing video games on the internet feels like a waste of time now.

draetenth

No, but other than a brief period of 3 or so years of playing Diablo 2 with a friend (and occasionally randoms), I just play single player games so I suppose toxicity isn't really applicable to me.

Prologue

What an extreme action to take, should you sell your car because three protesters died yesterday?

There are so many iconic and deeply moving games out there, "toxicity" of a community is the last thing I even think about.

Unless all you play is online multiplayer in scenes heavily afflicted by this, why would this affect the games? Just quit the communities. The discourse and the zeitgeist don't matter.

I agree. In the end, all the toxic shit around can't possibly tarnish the art that videogames actually are.

There's shitty people everywhere, that's why i don't play online, and it's been amazing.

sleepnaught

Gave up on CSGO completely, after playing CS for 16 years. Every match is nothing but insults. I thought it was only the lower ranks, but even at Global the people are pure toxic garbage. I miss playing the game sometimes, but I can't handle the community. Worst I've ever experienced.

speiky

Playing video games is my hobby and I won't turn away from it because of some toxic people in various gaming communities.

Just associate with the people that aren't toxic and/or play solo. End of story.

I quit League of Legends because of how toxic the community was, but it's hard to wrap my head around dropping the hobby completely because of other people.

Like, one of the things that makes videogames special is the amount and variety of enjoyment that you can find without so much as speaking to another person. With digital downloads, you don't even need to interact with a cashier. You can make your own little bubble of fun and wonder.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Stop caring about the politics of your hobbies.

Honestly, I did this about a decade ago and I have never been happier.

It's an interesting sort of discussion I've had a few times with friends recently. Whether it's always been like this and social media just makes it easier to find, or if things have just become worse in the last 10-15 years, that sorta thing.

I don't uh... "identify", I guess, as a gamer anymore. At least not in that "fuck you, I'm a gamer, deal with it" sorta way I started to in my teens. That's in part because of shitty people who have caused a negative connotation around the term, but also because practically anyone and everyone plays games now. So the term has lost all real meaning or relevance I think.

That said I do still play games a lot of the time, I constantly talk and read about them, I have various memorabilia and all that kinda shit. I don't hide it, and most people who know me know two of my biggest passions are film and games; one I turned into my job and the other is one of my favourite hobbies.

Though I've absolutely pulled away from multiplayer games over the years. I used to be all about meeting new people playing the game, making friends, all that sorta shit. But most of those friend groups fell apart and I don't mic up outside of party chat anymore. Only Destiny, Overwatch, and a handful of other online games can suck me in for a few weeks at a time now. I'd rather be playing some sprawling, single player game that I can take my time with.

I don't use a mic or listen to anyone else 99.9% of the time I play. If I was a woman playing something competitive maybe I'd feel differently but as it is I don't hear or see much toxicity.

Going by the shit posts I get even here for some of the threads I post I wouldn't blame anyone though. You definitely need some thick skin sometimes and you can't take it personally or you're never going to have a good time.

This kind of makes me appreciate the whole phone voice chat thing on the Switch, that barely anyone uses. Splatoon 2 is the only game I play online, and there really isn't any "toxicity" that I have encountered.

As for the OP's question, you're on NeoGAF, a forum for gaming enthusiasts. 99% of the responses in this thread are people that separate the game itself from the community/industry/etc.

I don't play multi-player online games, so that side, while I acknowledge there are shitheads, don't affect my single player enjoyment. The only way I'll quit gaming is if ALL games become "gaming as a service/always online" and single-player games go the way of the dodo. I will NOT move on over to online gaming. This stance I am adamant about.

If you're not capable of turning off voice chat in a multiplayer game then yes, selling all your stuff might be a good idea...
I mean come on... Arent you aware that you can still play game without caring a single bit about the community behind it? Ok there are some execption with some multiplayer games that force you to interact with the players but it's far from the majority.

To me it looks like you're trying to find an excuse to quit videogames. I dont see the problem in quitting if you're not having fun anymore, but it seems far fetched that it's because of the 'toxicity' of the communities behind the games.

I suggest you to simply take a break from this hobby and if a few month later you still feel disgusted by this then sell all your stuff :)

PaulBizkit

I hate the word "toxicity" but it's the best word I can think of currently.

I think I've reached that point. Tomorrow I'm packing everything up gaming related and taking my cash bounty of 1300 dollars from GameStop and more than likey never touching this hobby again.

Since that nonsense happened a couple of years ago it's been really, really hard to look at gaming in a positive light and wanting to be associated with it.

I read an article, it's politically charged. The comments are a shit show on both sides filled with adults who are way too old to be displaying behavior fit for 3rd graders.

I try to watch streams and people are sexually harassed and being threatened with violence constantly.

I read about museum and video game archival projects that have interested me being shut down because of gamergate.

There's no fun anymore. Everything in gaming has such a large amount of politics and shit people associated with it that I can't by association support it anymore. The dregs of society have won yet again and I guess they got what they wanted by running people like me away from gaming to save "gamers"

What? I just play the games, read reviews, watch videos and maaaaybe post some here. Why are you unnecessarily involved in the community? just play the games.

manzo

Stop caring about the politics of your hobbies.

Honestly, I did this about a decade ago and I have never been happier.

Same here, except I've never given a shit about politics in gaming. I just play video games. I'm 35 now. I have a full time job, two kids and going to the gym is my main hobby. I game maybe 2-3 hours per week. I just kick back and enjoy the short time that I have with games.

I can see enough politics in daily news. Don't care about it in video games.

Servbot24

Banned
I play single player games only. I do it in the peace and quiet of my room and simply enjoy the art form.

Playing multiplayer games online sounds horrible.

Nope. I'm not going to let online assholes chase me away from me favorite hobby. I'm made of tougher stuff than that.

To be quite honest I'm also pretty apathetic to the politics around gaming. I'm certainly aware of them but I don't get too deep into them generally, I'm the same way with all my other interests.

void666

Banned
I play games because it's fun. I don't care about what other people do. If i can't handle toxicity ingame i'll just mute everyone, turn off chat window. Done.

Estoc

It has certainly hurt my enjoyment some. Especially anything related to gamergate or alt-right.

I used to watch TotalBiscuit regularly, but him being on the gg side, even if he condemned their action, rubbed me the wrong way. These days, I have to research any youtuber whose contents interest me, if they are a gger, or worse, alt-right, I would feel a tiny bit upset for enjoying their contents to consider subscribing.

Same goes for games and others, I'm having a really hard time getting myself to buy Minecraft for Switch, I have to keep reminding myself that Notch is out...

While I appreciate knowing that these people are horrible horrible people so I can keep my distance, I missed the old days when I would just be a careless idiot...

Of course, the general toxicity has stopped me playing multiplayer games that require communication and team work. I would only play games if I don't have to talk to strangers.

PSqueak

Banned
I ignore most communities and only use voice chat with friends, so basically im avoiding the toxicity, but by no means i am going to say it's not a problem, because it's a huge fucking problem.

dacuk

The only 2 games I play online are:

- Sniper Elite 4 in Cooperative mode (really nice gamers I have met there... no toxicity at all)
- Street Fighter 5 (This game has issues, but the people I met in it are not one of those).

Maybe it really depends on the game you are playing.

Jakoo

Sorry OP, it's laughable me to that you would give up gaming yet still not only lurk, but engage on NeoGAF or any gaming forum. It's pretty easy to ignore the toxicity in games if you simple buy single player games or only play multiplayer game with friends-only chat.

Get off forums. Avoid GAF/Reddit/4chan/SomethingAwful. You'll be happier. GAF is easily the most politically charged Forum I visit.

zoodoo

I stay away from any gaming community except gaf. When I watch streams, it's in fullscreen so I dont see comments. When I play online I mute everybody.

Mooreberg

I don't see how it could be a problem outside of MP games. I can see someone bailing out on those because of how dreadful the average player base is. But for most other games, you have to go out of your way to find the headache players, and they are still not going to impact your gaming unless they have the ear of the developer for patches and changes.

SephLuis

I don't think you have to quit a hobby because you found out about a bad part of it. Yes, I say part because not everywhere has that issue with toxicity.

Just as an example, Square Enix did this video on the story on a DQ X player. It's really cute and it shows how their online friends made a special moment. Maybe trying other games, engaging with other communities will be better instead of just quitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM6Gwi8TFZM

Estoc

I stay away from any gaming community except gaf. When I watch streams, it's in fullscreen so I dont see comments. When I play online I mute everybody.
I always make the mistake of scrolling down into comments on YouTube, and then I make the *MichealBluthIDontKnowWhatIExpected.gif* face.

ore300

Neo Member
Sorry, but if you let others ruin your fun of gaming, you did that to yourself. I understand that different people have different sensitivity levels, but the joy that you had when you first played games was because the design of the interaction was rewarding to you somehow, and nobody told you that but yourself. And now you are walking away because you are paying too much attention to what other people are saying/doing? Maybe it's difficult to do, but I would have tried cutting off the parts of the community that brought you down and just focus on the content itself.

sikkinixx

I quit any type of in-game chat because of it. I quit nearly any type of 'serious' discussion on the internet because of it too. I have fun playing online stuff with friends or just casually mucking about. Real competitive stuff is terrible for people being shit heads.

BiggNife

I certainly don't talk to randos in voice chat much anymore, that's for sure. People whine and moan about party chat "ruining online games," but if it wasn't for party chat I don't think I'd have fun with team-based multiplayer at this point. Solo queue ranked is a nightmare in games like Overwatch and LoL/Dota.

But games are still fun, and as long as games are still fun I'm still going to play them. The second someone is a shithead to me in game is the second I mute them.

jennetics

I've never noticed (first-hand) a rise in toxicity because I tend to avoid multiplayer-centric games all together. Single player games keep me occupied and, for the most part, have a really good group of fans that are helpful and willing to answer questions as newbies come through (e.g. Kingdom Hearts subreddit for a new player like me).

Stay off message boards and comment sections, use party chat, just play for fun. I don't get how you let some shit heads cause you to quit a hobby when you don't ever have acknowledge them as this hobby doesn't require intereaction with people you don't know.

Top Bottom