• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here has tried Oil Pulling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
i mean, go ahead and dismiss something that you have never tried yourself because you read some dumb reddit post about how ~silly~ it is. its not science right? your god neil degrass tyson didn't approve it, so you could never let the thought into your thick heads. educate yourselves before you make fun of something you have no idea about. im done here, don't bother replying.

clearly a final fantasy fan

iamblades

I hate these "toxin" bullshitterys. What keeps any of these fads from pulling the good stuff out of your body?

These toxin people must not have Livers or Kidneys.

The top three words that scream quackery to me when it comes to medical claims:

'toxin'
'supports'
'promotes'

these are just ways to make unsubstantiated claims without getting shat on by the FTC for saying their medicine cures the common cold.

'oh we never claimed that, we said it supports a healthy immune system and promotes a strong immune response to remove bodily toxins'

Hjod

Banned
i mean, go ahead and dismiss something that you have never tried yourself because you read some dumb reddit post about how ~silly~ it is. its not science right? your god neil degrass tyson didn't approve it, so you could never let the thought into your thick heads. educate yourselves before you make fun of something you have no idea about. im done here, don't bother replying.

Why don't you try to educate us? Please tell me why Oil Pulling works?

As soon as I saw "toxins" I knew this was shady.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
It is grade A pseudo scientific bullshit that doesn't do anything but knock loose a few food particulates.

You can't "pull toxins" and any benefits would be similar to swishing your bosses seman around in your mouth for 20 minutes.

Or any other liquid

at least you might get a raise with that.

dork

Banned
Coconut oil is like 6$. Not like he would be investing in a pyramid scheme. Buy it and give it a shot if you want.

apparently coffee enema's are a thing
Doesn't sound any more effective than water or whatever is supposed to be used, maybe it's especially sterile or something.

Actually, that works (sorta). You can get crazy high by putting the right (wrong) stuff up your butt, and the same applies to coffee or booze.

Can't imagine it'd be pleasant, tho.

Actually, that works (sorta). You can get crazy high by putting the right (wrong) stuff up your butt, and the same applies to coffee or booze.

I've long theorized about the efficacy of a vodka-soaked tampon in a condom with a few pinprick holes in it, inserted rectally as a time-release alcohol delivery system.

Ravek

Banned

Didn't some teens get severe alcohol poisoning when they did this with liquor?

It is absolutely mind blowing that there are people who believe in the healing power of crystals. I actually refuse to believe it. There is just no way.

injurai

Banned
My girlfriend does this and Ive done it.
Made my mouth feel extra slippery.

Coconut oil is best when used to pan cook popcorn.

Try it!

Oh really? Thread is finally starting to deliver. I always used rapeseed oil but I'll have to try that. Homemade popcorn is always the best imo. Damn I might just make some now.

You can refuse all you want, but some people really believe in this pseudoscience nonsense.

Nah, that's impossible. No one could survive to adulthood if they were that foolish. Every day would be a struggle for the people around who have to watch over your every waking moment, making sure you don't attempt to remove bread from a toaster with a fork or try to dry your hair and shower simultaneously in order to save time getting ready in the morning. I don't know what you're getting ready for, since I assume school and actual jobs are out of the question.

Hahahaha. Why would swishing oil in your mouth do anything except give you an oily mouth? You could half a brain and realize it just doesn't make sense.

Coconut oil is the best oil for general cooking.

I don't know why people want to swish it around in their month for half an hour.

IME, coconut oil for general cooking, peanut oil for comfort foods. It's a lot worse for you, but the result is amazing.

Of course, some recipes rely on specific oils, but if you can improvise, one of those two.

Nah, that's impossible. No one could survive to adulthood if they were that foolish. Every day would be a struggle for the people around who have to watch over your every waking moment, making sure you don't attempt to remove bread from a toaster with a fork or try to dry your hair and shower simultaneously in order to save time getting ready in the morning. I don't know what you're getting ready for, since I assume school and actual jobs are out of the question.

I get bread out of the toaster with a fork <.<

It's not dangerous if you don't jam it in there.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

2/10, you try to hard. maybe if you were a junior member I would believe you.

Topic: I do not believe int that kind of things. of course there are a lot of natural ways to treat diseases but that is definitely not one.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
I have tried oil-pulling in past. It feels quite refreshing and it sort of becomes a habit to feel that fresh again every morning. I only gave it up since it was taking up too much of my time. My family vouches for it to be healthy habit. I have seen it improve my allergic sneezing especially in the mornings, and my dust allergy.

I dont believe that it works by removing toxins by capillary action or any other bullshit. But have you ever tried to emulisify oil by swirling it around your mouth for 15 minutes? It is a big pain to do it. Oil is very viscous and thinning it by mixing it with saliva requires great effort. Doing so will give you a nice and steady 10-15 minute work out for your throat muscles and improves your breathing. Ultimately, the health benefits may stem from this rather than removal of any "toxins".

I've long theorized about the efficacy of a vodka-soaked tampon in a condom with a few pinprick holes in it, inserted rectally as a time-release alcohol delivery system.

One of my college classes about learning to be a high school teacher we spent a whole day talking about the crazy shit kids do or have done during school. One of these things were called "vod pods" where kids soak tampons in vodka and shove them up the ass to get wasted.

Another fun thing was filling an eye dropped with vodka and bring it to school and squirting it in your eye to get drunk during school.

That was just the tip of the iceberg of shit we learned that day.

Also, this shit made me laugh so hard my sides hurt.

Orayn

I have tried oil-pulling in past. It feels quite refreshing and it sort of becomes a habit to feel that fresh again every morning. I only gave it up since it was taking up too much of my time. My family vouches for it to be healthy habit. I have seen it improve my allergic sneezing especially in the mornings, and my dust allergy.

I dont believe that it works by removing toxins by capillary action or any other bullshit. But have you ever tried to emulisify oil by swirling it around your mouth for 15 minutes? It is a big pain to do it. Oil is very viscous and thinning it by mixing it with saliva requires great effort. Doing so will give you a nice and steady 10-15 minute work out for your throat muscles and improves your breathing. Ultimately, the health benefits may stem from this rather than removal of any "toxins".

Some of the actual studies performed on oil pulling showed that it compared surprisingly well to alcohol based mouthwash in terms of promoting tooth/gum health, so it might just be that swishing with anything hard enough will have similar benefits.

This isn't meant to be dismissive, mind you. I have nothing against the actual practice, just bogus health claims made about it.

Doing so will give you a nice and steady 10-15 minute work out for your throat muscles and improves your breathing. Ultimately, the health benefits may stem from this rather than removal of any "toxins".

Improves breathing? How? Scientifically I just don't see what oil would do for your breathing. I'm pretty sure absolutely nothing.

If you want to feel refreshed and work your throat muscles, swish around some mouth wash. That actually has a scientifically proven result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom