• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here has tried Oil Pulling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
How to tell if something is bullshit: if it claims to 'remove toxins', and it's not some sort of chelation therapy for heavy metal toxicity, then it's bullshit.

In short, oil pulling is bullshit. Not particularly harmful, but not particularly helpful either.

thespot84

Nah, that's impossible. No one could survive to adulthood if they were that foolish. Every day would be a struggle for the people around who have to watch over your every waking moment, making sure you don't attempt to remove bread from a toaster with a fork or try to dry your hair and shower simultaneously in order to save time getting ready in the morning. I don't know what you're getting ready for, since I assume school and actual jobs are out of the question.

I use a toaster oven and was super confused for a minute as to why I shouldn't use a fork to get the bread out lol.

Some of the actual studies performed on oil pulling showed that it compared surprisingly well to alcohol based mouthwash in terms of promoting tooth/gum health, so it might just be that swishing with anything hard enough will have similar benefits.

This isn't meant to be dismissive, mind you. I have nothing against the actual practice, just bogus health claims made about it.

Didn't they determine that the alcohol in those mouthwashes was detrimental to gum/tooth/mouth/GI health in general?

EDIT: Nevermind, I fell pray to shit science media reporting on a study that had inconclusive results.

Mr. Hyde

So is it like olive oil or like petrol?

Coconut Oil is the one I always hear. My friend said it will eventually put a lot of dentists out of business. Err.. It is supposed to draw bacteria out of your cavities or other issues in your mouth. No idea. I haven't tried it.

Ferrio

Banned
Coconut Oil is the one I always hear. My friend said it will eventually put a lot of dentists out of business. Err.. It is supposed to draw bacteria out of your cavities or other issues in your mouth. No idea. I haven't tried it.

Dentists hate him.

spootime

I've never detoxified myself in my entire life. I'm pretty much the equivalent of a 40k plague marine, spreading toxins and pestilence wherever I go.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can usually tell when a folk remedy is bullshit when it mentions "toxins."

entremet

Holistic dentist recommend this for reversing cavities.

Coconut oil has mind antibacterial properties.

It's a practice like brushing. Once a week is fine.

OP, this followed up by some heavy 'healing touch' sessions will draw out not only the toxins in your body, but your negative energy too.

It's snake oil.

It works insofar as you can sell it to gullible people who will give you their money in exchange for this product.

(Lately I've noticed that many alternative medicine products make use of multi-level marketing techniques. Whenever there's an information session about a particular alternative medicine, chances are that the session gives you the tools to become a salesperson for that very product (in addition to providing you with some of the product). It's like the worst of two worlds: completely ineffectual medicine, combined with a predatory pyramid scheme.)

AntoneM

I worked for my state dental board for few years, we have a few holistic dentists. One of them cut out 50% of multiple patients jaw bones in order to get rid of harmful toxic pockets stuck in the bone. Needless to say these people went on to have tens of thousands of dollars in additional surgery down the line to try to repair that damage but you can't ever come back from that.

Most of them though make a lot of money convincing people that their amalgam fillings are slowly killing them and then replace them with gold.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So far all i've seen has been recommendations of organic coconut oil.

Only grass-fed coconut oil for me.

Along with my raw vegan diet and homeopathic remedies, I'm pretty much invulnerable.

Faustus

Banned
Wife does it and says it works for her, said it becomes addicting in a kind of freshening up way, more than brushing your teeth....says try it with organic coconut oil.

Javaman

I use those special Chinese footpad diapers to pull the toxins out through my feet. You can see the toxins 'cause they're black.

You're probably being sarcastic, but if not, those don't do anything. They're basically the same as hand and foot warmers. Iron filings oxidize due to oxygen and moisture. The black is caused by this. They would look the same without wearing them.

The only time I've ever seen the word "toxins" used in a non-bullshit manner was in a peer-reviewed publication released last year that explained how the brains of mice (and presumably humans) expand when sleeping to allow for easier flushing out of metabolic waste products.

Read more here. We even had a GAF thread about it. As for oil pulling? I could see it acting as a disinfectant inside the mouth but that's as much as I'm willing to trust it as far as having any real effect on the body.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wife does it and says it works for her, said it becomes addicting in a kind of freshening up way, more than brushing your teeth....says try it with organic coconut oil.

She should really try grass-fed coconut oil if she wants to take it to the next level. It really gets the toxins out.

You're probably being sarcastic, but if not, those don't do anything. They're basically the same as hand and foot warmers. Iron filings oxidize due to oxygen and moisture. The black is caused by this. They would look the same without wearing them.
I don't think you understand the science behind ancient Chinese wisdom.
Why does my body have toxins?
Because your chakras are misaligned. Don't you people read?

Bodacious

Banned
Some people just need to believe in something.

BsiZRVS.jpg

Copyright Bodacious (I took this pic on the sly at the Smithsonian a few years back.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom