• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is an artist that other people like who you think is overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sex Pistols were probably the most milquetoast band of all 70s punk. Never Mind The Bullocks is a boring old hard rock album.

And I really ike a good deal of PiL's early work so I don't necessarily hate everything John Lydon's done.

The Beatles are one of those cases where I feel the legend surrounding the band can create a barrier for new listeners discovering them.

It's been drilled into peoples head that The Beatles were indisputably the most historically important band ever, period, that it makes it difficult for people to authentically discover their music itself. Every single event in the band's life has been mythologized to such a degree that the members almost seem more like historical figures than relatively contemporary musicians.

I know personally I struggled to appreciate the Beatles for years because that that overwhelming aura that's been written about the band over the past five decades. Sometimes it's hard to see and appreciate them as "just a band".

broh

the first time i listened to let it be i knew the beatles were special. the music speaks for itself

Dynomutt

Any artists biting of the fake dancehall vibe. Crazy how everyone want's to be a pseudo-Jamaican now...Using corny ass simulated patois. All are guilty from Ed Sheeran to Drake those snakes got more bite than Taylor Swift. Shoutout to Beenie Man, Lady Saw,and Mr. Vegas the OG's.

How'd I do?

broh

the first time i listened to let it be i knew the beatles were special. the music speaks for itself

Yeah, but I think the title of "Greatest Band Ever" has been repeated so often for the Beatles that the mythology almost precedes their music at times. It gets hard to shake it off and just listen to their albums with a clean head.

The only band I can genuinely think of is The Stone Roses.

In the UK, it feels like they do nothing for years then turn up in a huge field and play "Fool's Gold" to a bunch of lads off their tits on Stella and MDMA for 20 minutes before fucking off for another decade.

I've listened to their discography and I believe the only reason they're as famous as they are is because they released Fool's Gold and the exact right time in British music culture.

ZKNTugA2ioDx.gif

Everyone is overrated to everyone.

compo

Banned
broh

I like the Beatles, and they do have a lot of legendary singles. But I listened to their entire discography for the first time last year, and I was disappointed at how much mediocre blues filler there was. Some of their songs are legitimately bad too (mainly during the drug years). Like "Piggies" on The White Album, for example. It's a medieval song with all these random pig noises and shit.

Any artists biting of the fake dancehall vibe. Crazy how everyone want's to be a pseudo-Jamaican now...Using corny ass simulated patois. All are guilty from Ed Sheeran to Drake those snakes got more bite than Taylor Swift. Shoutout to Beenie Man, Lady Saw,and Mr. Vegas the OG's.

How'd I do?

vybz kartel is also overrated

Zukkoyaki

In another one for me, Tool.

Incredible musicians and super creative but I find their material beyond their singles to be a chore to listen to. I say this as a fan of prog and instrumental music. They could use more songs like Stinkfist and Parabola, easy jams. Also Maynard rubs me the wrong way. Could just be because I don't smoke weed or do any drugs.

Dynomutt

vybz kartel is also overrated

He's over-bleached as well. Honestly dancehall is I miss the old riddims' with the way things have been I guess it being appropriated has its benefits. I'm not a Popcaan fan either music or the name. Not feeling Alkaline a dude who is a Kartel clone named after a fucking battery and may have kidnapped and caused the disappearance of a 12 year old to cover up a rape. Shit is wack.

I love Radiohead but honestly I'm surprised at how nominally popular they are. For me they were an acquired taste, didn't really like anything particularly the first playthrough.

Eh most of the time pointing something for being overrated it's just another way of telling people you don't like it, so I will just say Muse, I will never understand their appeal.

The Beatles music is a bore to me. Product of a different era but man I never wanna listen to any of that shit ever again. Boring.

Adele is just a fat, halfway decent singer who I genuinely feel isn't deserving of the success and praise she gets.

Tall4Life

So many hot takes in here about Radiohead that I can't handle it

But my answer to this is pretty much most "classic rock" bands. I used to really like stuff like Tom Petty and all but I guess the radio just burned it into me too much and I just can't listen to that stuff anymore. Some select groups like Zeppelin and all are still ok, but many 70's/80's bands I just can't do.

In another one for me, Tool.

Incredible musicians and super creative but I find their material beyond their singles to be a chore to listen to. I say this as a fan of prog and instrumental music. They could use more songs like Stinkfist and Parabola, easy jams. Also Maynard rubs me the wrong way. Could just be because I don't smoke weed or do any drugs.

Fuck Tool.

Also, Radiohead will always be shit. Fuck Radiohead.

Hyun Sai

I have a feeling that you're being sarcastic, but there is an argument to be made here. Mozart's piano work is more the perfection of the diatonic Classical form, rather than anything fresh or new for the time. I mean, I appreciate the incredible craft of something like his Sonata in B Flat, but it seems very tame against, say, Beethoven's Waldstein or Apassionata Sonatas.

I assure you I'm not sarcastic, that's why I precised the piano (I play), and I remember after seeing "Amadeus" as a child and starting music, he was like that God you slowly realize he is really not what you thought compared to many others in the area you studied ^^.

I also think Liszt is overrated, but that is a more complex argument lol...

Eh most of the time pointing something for being overrated it's just another way of telling people you don't like it, so I will just say Muse, I will never understand their appeal.
I can only speak for myself, but my love of Muse mostly stems from an appreciation for very bold, spectacle-driven entertainment. They're one of the few true modern stadium rock acts, and put on shows that are just dripping with energy and stimuli. Not mention, all of it is stupid as hell. The last Muse show I saw (Drones 360 tour) involved a full squadron of knockoff Stormtroopers, 3D video projection of a nuclear holocaust, and a blimp shaped like a stealth bomber. They're the Hideo Kojima of rock music, evangelizing a vague political philosophy in the loudest way possible. The result is hilarious, and nobody's quite sure who all is in on the joke. I love Muse because I refuse to take them seriously, but I'm never sure if that perspective is shared.

But like Kojima, they're masters of their chosen medium. Their particular brand of rock is eccentric, yet still impressive on technical merits. Check out 'Reapers' or 'Supremacy' off their last two albums. Or just the entirety of 'Black Holes and Revelations'.

Perturbator uses the same chord structure song after song. There are synthwave artists out there doing it better. Not that I dislike his work however, I just think he's too redundant.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Here is a band that confuses me.

Arcadia Fire. This is a band who headlines major fests, but I can't even recall a single song. With a fanbase that gets extremely defense anytime you call them out on why are they headlining.

Jay-Z is my biggest case. A completely mediocre whose not bad at anything, but not good at anything either. Dre follows, where their both good producers but Meh rappers.

sphinx

the piano man
I have a feeling that you're being sarcastic, but there is an argument to be made here. Mozart's piano work is more the perfection of the diatonic Classical form, rather than anything fresh or new for the time. I mean, I appreciate the incredible craft of something like his Sonata in B Flat, but it seems very tame against, say, Beethoven's Waldstein or Apassionata Sonatas.

I assure you I'm not sarcastic, that's why I precised the piano (I play), and I remember after seeing "Amadeus" as a child and starting music, he was like that God you slowly realize he is really not what you thought compared to many others in the area you studied ^^.

I also think Liszt is overrated, but that is a more complex argument lol...

I have the feeling that while definitely an excellent composer, a huge part of his reputation came from his father, who was obsessed with his kid's career. The kid supposedly composed 5 or so menuetts at age 3 or 4.... ok but wasn't his dad there to give a little hand and say "hey little Wolfy, why don't you put a G instead of a D there? wouldn't it sound better?".

speaking specifically about his piano output, it's simple in his presentation but there's lots of beauty in his works.

I prefer his concerti to his Sonatas, I feel like his ideas shine a lot more when more instruments were around.

it's probably one the hardest composer to pull off though. all those piano competitors playing the Islameys and the Gaspard de la Nuits would never ever pass a round if it depended on them playing Mozart like it should be played. Most people lack the sound culture for it.

EDIT: oh and the older I get the shittier gets Liszt music in my ears, I have pieces from him I like, like the mephisto waltz, but c´mon most pieces are some virtuoso Yirumi/Clayderman turds

the only good Nine Inch Nails songs are their singles and even then they're still boring as fuck

same with radiohead

basically the same band

Your ears don't work.

While i'm here, Beyonce. But there's so many like her - pop stars, complete with 900 producers and songwriters per album are treated as these incredible artists when 9/10 times they don't even write their own shit. Music by committee is basically where we're at now. Thanks music industry.

And as a bonus, as Shiftplusone just 'triggered' me by attacking two of my favourite acts at once, i'll throw in Metallica. Haven't produced anything worth a damn since 1991.

higemaru

Car Seat Headrest, at least Teens of Denial.

I'm in the perfect age bracket for this album but I really don't care for it. I liked Teens of Style a lot but Denial had nothing that grabbed me. I listened to it three times a since it came out and my rating has fallen for it each time. I was really disappointed because I feel like it's a record that music nerds are gonna love to talk about in the future and I just can't enjoy.

Music isn't bad, but I don't get where the worship of Beyonce came from. She was just another pop star, but somewhere along the line it feels like it became mandatory to love Beyonce.

I would also like to say Tool.

Servbot24

Banned
The Weeknd
Mumford & Sons
Explosions in the Sky
Imagine Dragons
Lorde

Those folks are the absolute bottom of the music barrel.

Metalmarc

Kanye west
Beyonce
Lady gaga
Coldplay
Adele
U2 (though i do like a couple of songs)

90% off all pop music/chart music, hiphop/rap, dance/techno etc all overrated to me (you see it's just an opinion) there are small amounts that are ok to me.

The clue is in my username i am a Metal Head/Rocker, so to you guys most of my bands would be overrated.

Also i'm 34yrs old, get off my Lawn, and it's not that i dont get it cos of my age, cos there are some awesome younger bands in my favourite genres, like Radkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom