• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is an artist that other people like who you think is overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso76

"Who is an artist that other people like who you think is overrated? And has it ever crossed your mind that you might be the one who doesn't get it instead of everyone else being wrong ?" is the full thread title btw

All artists who've reach the highest heights can probably be considered overrated to an extent, even my favorites, because after you reach a certain status a lot of your work is elevated to some degree just because of who you are and a lot of accolades are just automatically attracted to you, and anyways it all comes down to artists you like or dislike most of the time so it's not like it's unbiased or anything, but here are my picks:

-Eminem:
I don't consider him a very good songwriter, I don't believe his metaphors/ general literary techniques are up to par with the other greats, I don't believe any of his albums remotely match up with the quality other "classic albums" measure up to so I can't help but wonder if the status for what makes a good project/good song is lowered for anything involving Eminem, the fact that his name is synonymous with/the go to name for what makes a skilled rapper is disgusting to me, he doesn't belong near some of the rappers I see people putting him over.

-Big L:
Good punchline rapper, overrated in death because of a cult of character/a few select freestyles/hate for a certain other rapper, regularly put into top 10's and 5's without much to go off of, wasn't a good songwriter (with maybe one exception) in my opinion, has the facts of his career manipulated to act as though he was a threat to other artists at the time of his death, and wasn't expansive in his lyrical techniques yet people act as though he was like Lupe Fiasco describes here:

https://twitter.com/lupefiasco/status/776861348802076672

-Pac:
I don't like his voice, I don't like his style, I've never been able to connect with his music, but he obviously speaks to people and at minimum he's a good writer so I don't feel like I'm capable of accurately judging him, this is more in response to the Christ like/daddy status his stanbase has ascribed to him, they're literally a cult.
Here is a band that confuses me.

Arcadia Fire. This is a band who headlines major fests, but I can't even recall a single song. With a fanbase that gets extremely defense anytime you call them out on why are they headlining.

Jay-Z is my biggest case. A completely mediocre whose not bad at anything, but not good at anything either. Dre follows, where their both good producers but Meh rappers.
Lol get this nonsense out of here.

sphinx

the piano man
Music isn't bad, but I don't get where the worship of Beyonce came from. She was just another pop star, but somewhere along the line it feels like it became mandatory to love Beyonce.

she's a very hard worker and it's probably her singing ability, her commitment to her fanbase and that her shows are amazing (supposedly, I've never been to one)

people that work hard and are nice in the music industry tend to be well received.

she's been at it forever too.

Basically like Madonna,

Metalmarc

"Who is an artist that other people like who you think is overrated? And has it ever crossed your mind that you might be the one who doesn't get it instead of everyone else being wrong ?" is the full thread title btw

image.jpg

Lots of posts causing me emotional anguish in this thread.

I just recently went through the Beatles discography for the first time in years and it's just such an enjoyable journey - a journey that accelerates ten fold from Rubber Soul onwards, hitting constant highs and the twin peaks of The White Album and Abbey Road (the side 2 medley is just the perfect bookend). Let It Be is a bit of a comparative letdown, but the singles from it are still great (though more like solo songs in my mind).

Also can't believe people are hating on Freddie in here :-( The Show Must Go On is probably my single favourite rock vocal of all time, the final, say, minute and a half makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end every.damn.time.

As for me, I guess the artist that other people like that I'm not so keen on is probably Lorde. Listened to her first album and other tracks she has released and just don't 'get it'. Also, Coldplay whenever they try to be down with the kids with their somewhat embarrassing 'dancey' tracks - yeesh.

PSqueak

Banned
I think Lady Gaga's music is really mediocre, but Lady Gaga the "experience" it's pretty damn fun and a good show.

Just can't understand how people claim she is a great musician, she's not, she's a great performer who also is an average at best musician.

I have the feeling that while definitely an excellent composer, a huge part of his reputation came from his father, who was obsessed with his kid's career. The kid supposedly composed 5 or so menuetts at age 3 or 4.... ok but wasn't his dad there to give a little hand and say "hey little Wolfy, why don't you put a G instead of a D there? wouldn't it sound better?".

speaking specifically about his piano output, it's simple in his presentation but there's lots of beauty in his works.

I prefer his concerti to his Sonatas, I feel like his ideas shine a lot more when more instruments were around.

it's probably one the hardest composer to pull off though. all those piano competitors playing the Islameys and the Gaspard de la Nuits would never ever pass a round if it depended on them playing Mozart like it should be played. Most people lack the sound culture for it.

EDIT: oh and the older I get the shittier gets Liszt music in my ears, I have pieces from him I like, like the mephisto waltz, but c´mon most pieces are some virtuoso Yirumi/Clayderman turds

Let's not go overboard, now. Gaspard de la Nuit is legendary both for its' technical and musical difficulty. It's the ultimate combination of technical facility and artistic expression. Virtuoso chops alone won't cut it, you need to be able to balance voices, propel the rhythm, and command tonal color with a wide variety of different touches in rapid succession. My god, that second movement with the constant ostinato, spanning three staves and which is never louder than mezzo forte. It takes a real master to pull that piece off.

Stuff like Islamey and Liszt's La Campanella are more straight up virtuoso works. I'd put Ravel up there with Chopin and Mozart for emotional and musical expression.

erragal

Neil Gaiman. As an obsessive reader of diverse fantasy/Sci fi works he's always been the one author in which popularity and critical acclaim far outstripped my impression of his writing.

Now my opinion isn't particularly harsh. I believe he's a serviceable above average fantasy writer. However that's a far cry from his reputation and award cabinet.

Edit: oh this is music only? I guess I just wanted to shit on Gaiman. Whoops. Uhh... let's say Tool for being babbys first prog metal and call it a day??

Zekes!

I can't think of anyone who is actually overrated. Like I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I recognize their influence.

Drake is popular but I don't think anyone would put him on a top 10 hip-hop artists list, unless it was strictly sales based. He isn't really overrated to me. Just popular

Like, I might say Nirvana, but I'd be hesistant to because while I don't like their music I can see how they influenced rock music.

sphinx

the piano man
Let's not go overboard, now. Gaspard de la Nuit is legendary both for its' technical and musical difficulty. It's the ultimate combination of technical facility and artistic expression. Virtuoso chops alone won't cut it, you need to be able to balance voices, propel the rhythm, and command tonal color with a wide variety of different touches in rapid succession. My god, that second movement with the constant ostinato, spanning three staves and which is never louder than mezzo forte. It takes a real master to pull that piece off.

Stuff like Islamey and Liszt's La Campanella are more straight up virtuoso works. I'd put Ravel up there with Chopin and Mozart for emotional and musical expression.

I think you miunderstood my point.

Gaspard de La Nuit is a masterpiece but to play that piece right, you need lots of hours a day to practice, good fingers/technique and a certain sense of sound.

With mozart you need to have the purest, most polished of sounds.

the first takes 15 years, the later 30 years

(random numbers but you get the idea)

I think you miunderstood my point.

Gaspard de La Nuit is a masterpiece but to play that piece right, you need lots of hours a day to practice, good fingers/technique and a certain sense of sound.

With mozart you need to have the purest, most polished of sounds.

the first takes 15 years, the later 30 years

(random numbers but you get the idea)

OK. I'm still not sure I see the difference. The polished, pure sound that you need in Mozart's Elvira Madigan Concerto is the same sound you need in Ravel's Le Gibet or Oiseaux Tristes.

I guess my original point is that I wouldn't lump together Ravel with Liszt, Balakirev, or even many Rachmaninov works that are more pure virtuoso showcases. Ravel is more like transcendental virtuosity mixed with Chopin-like romantic expression, at least in Gaspard. He experimented in a lot of different styles too.

As a side note, I should point out that Ravel loved Mozart. He said the Adagio from his G major piano concerto was inspired by Mozart's Clarinet Quintet. Back to the OP's original point, this might help explain why some would find Mozart underwhelming as his work has been built upon and refined by others.

Modern Rock:
Volbeat

Classic Rock:
KISS

Alan Jackson

Pop:
Uhhhh most everything but that's the purpose of pop music is to be overly popular

I can't really comment on other genres.

On what rating scale?

You sound like a climate change skeptic.

yep, that's the exact type of weirdly pretentious response i'd expect from a radiohead fan too

you'd think radiohead was some super complex progressive band with the superiority complex that their fans have

First names that come to mind:

Kayne
Drake
Green Day
RHCP

People seriously talking about the Beatles, Prince, and Queen? I feel sorry for you

I'll echo the Radiohead sentiments here. I bought In Rainbows and didn't get it. I later decided to give them another shot and bought a Best Of compilation, hoping to get their greatness distilled and... nope.

I get that they're pioneering and doing things nobody else did, but it feels as though I either needed to be "there" in their heyday or have a degree in musical theory to appreciate them. It's a shame, because I really did try to like them.

I do wonder what proportion of their fan base is musicians of one kind or another who really do appreciate what they're doing and how big a slice are posers who don't understand their music either but pretend to because it makes them cool and sophisticated.

sasliquid

Queen

Sorry but I rate bands mostly on their albums and I don't think they've got a truely good one, even their best can't compare to other stuff being put out at the time

Bearjewpiter

Neo Member
To all those saying Queen

national_treasure_tropic_thunder.gif

I'm not using the gif to talk about Mercury, I just like the gif

As an answer to the thread, I want to say Drake but that seems like easy pickings. I've really never been thrilled after hearing one of his songs but that could be said for a lot of people I suppose.

CDV13

Awwww cmooon. One guy said Drake only has 3 good songs....even if you don't like him or think he is overrated...that's just wrong. Lol. His first "album"/third mixtape has at least 5 objectively good songs lol.

But I would say overrated for me is Kendrick as well. Section 80 and Good Kid are phenomenal records, I just think his last one was way too overhyped and he as a whole is now too. Still a fan just sayin.

Because Nirvana isn't even the best grunge band to come out of that era.

Pearl Jam is leagues better, and STP is too. Come at me.

Nirvana wasn't a grunge band, that's just some umbrella term someone at MTV came up with to describe the Seattle music scene of the early 90s.

Nirvana was more on the punk rock side.

Pearl Jam leagues better? All they did was release the same album over and over again. Their first two albums were good but after that they got stale quick.

Even though Nirvana only released three proper LPs, they were all different from each other and Pearl Jam never released anything as revelatory or visceral as In Utero.

LionPride

Banned
Nirvana
U2
Nikelback
Kanye West
Lady Ga Ga
Katy Perry
Justin Bieber
Rhianna
Maroon 5
Bon Jovi

I could go on.
Okay

Who likes Nickelback or Maroon 5?

Kanye is one of the best producers and rappers amd influential personalities of the 2000s/2010s

Nirvana was decent and helped set trends in the mid 90s

U2 aint shit

GaGa is a talented singer and performer

Perry is a talented performer

Bieber has found has market with dance electronic music

Rhianna had one of the best albums last year

Fuck Bon Jovi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom