• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

NewGame

Banned
Wait wait, did someone mention in this thread that WiiU does have off screen play in the Gamepad?

I thought it was confirmed it was TV only??

The WiiU gamepad doesn't display anything at all. You're probably thinking of the e3 build, before the Switch came along and SCREWED IT ALL UP.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'll be getting it on Switch at launch.

It is kinda ironic that the BOTW Miiverse board will be exclusive to the Wii U, though.

Wanderer5

Wait wait, did someone mention in this thread that WiiU does have off screen play in the Gamepad?

I thought it was confirmed it was TV only??

Nah it was only confirmed that the gamepad was not going to be used for a dual screen experience, such as being a map of managing inventory on there.

el3m

Neo Member
The WiiU gamepad doesn't display anything at all. You're probably thinking of the e3 build, before the Switch came along and SCREWED IT ALL UP.

I saw a youtube video: it's main gameplay only either on tv or gamepad. Pressing the gamepad screen switches the output between displays.

Robbok

Here's a video comparing the final WiiU build side by side with the Switch version in almost perfect synchrony. They look pretty similar to me. (Very beginning and early areas that have already been shown - so nothing "spoilery.")

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=YQbkBlpJX24

And here's a link for approximately an hour of gameplay on the WiiU version (again, nothing beyond the plateau).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDb0VJvikc

I think the WiiU version looks great.
Thank you mate! I can sleep much better now.
Looks great for me on WiiU. Can't wait to play it.

Here's a video comparing the final WiiU build side by side with the Switch version in almost perfect synchrony. They look pretty similar to me. (Very beginning and early areas that have already been shown - so nothing "spoilery.")

And here's a link for approximately an hour of gameplay on the WiiU version (again, nothing beyond the plateau).

The Wii U version looks fine to me. I do not see where all the complaints are coming from, but granted I am not that much of a stickler when it comes to framerate and resolution.

Smasher89

when is the pre-load for the Wii U version? Please Nintendo.
This, I'll get the Wii u verison on a midnight launch here, so slightly before eshop updates(more expensive though), and have like 2 and a half hours before work, would be nice to get to play some instead of downloading a patch for those 2 hours!

Cosmozone

I'm so torn right now. My Zelda hype increased significantly over the last week that I was dead set on getting it on the Switch to have the better version. But that Joycon disconnecting issue gives me a serious headache. Without it, it'd be a total non-brainer. Buying it later is not really an option: spoilers everywhere, hype killing me, etc.

Wii u version looks great in that side by side video, thanks for posting that. I did notice the switch had lens flare JJ Abrams style all over the place with the wii u version not having it, I actually prefer minimal lens flare haha

Its a bummer no preload for digital wii u version, I've heard the wii u patch is 2 gigs so its gonna take a while to download after you put the disc in.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Just spotted the back of the box online...it supports the Wii Remote & Nunchuck. I'm rather tempted to purchase it for that alone.

atr0cious

Just spotted the back of the box online...it supports the Wii Remote & Nunchuck. I'm rather tempted to purchase it for that alone.
Some one up thread said that that control scheme doesn't work. They linked a video too, didn't watch though.
Edit:

Interesting, my brother was testing different controle schemes and it seems like what's printed on back of the Wii-U is inaccurate. He was unable get the wii-mote/nunchuck combo to work.

Here's a video he made
https://youtu.be/otEB1nu0t4c

correojon

That´s cool, now that the gamepad has no functionality and with some people complaining about the button layout, maybe the Wiimote+nunchuck combo can be a nice way to play it. Besides, what better ocassion to use my golden Zeldamote than this? :p

Edit: oh, damn :(

Thanks for posting this. I haven't looked at any videos or comparisons yet but the WiiU version looks totally fine to me and I'm having a hard time seeing any big difference between the two versions ¯_(ツ)_/¯

VARIA

No inventory control on the gamepad is ridiculous. It was already programmed with it, so they removed it to not make it more appealing than the Switch version? Bummer.

aravuus

No inventory control on the gamepad is ridiculous. It was already programmed with it, so they removed it to not make it more appealing than the Switch version? Bummer.

Didn't realize this. Any reason to use the gamepad over a pro controller? Can I tweak my aim with the bow with gyro movement or something?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am. I can't see purchasing a new console just yet. I would love a Switch and Zelda, but I just can't spend all that money.

I'm getting a regular edition for the Wii U and I'm excited for it. I saw the unboxing of the Master Edition and I was drooling.

I get the same game in a lot of ways. I also have had a good time with my Wii U. Sure that's only been 10 or so games, but I still feel like I own that console. lol I do of course own it, but if I can get away with enjoying the game on the Wii U then that's enough for me.

Seriously though, this is the first major Zelda for this console that isn't something I haven't beaten elsewhere. It's like finally waiting for something and then knowing you don't have the superior version.

At least it won't be like Force Unleashed was on PS2. That was a terrible downgrade. Lol

PetrCobra

I have a Switch ordered already but I'm still buying the Wii U version first, Switch version sometime later. I remember regretting not buying the GC version of Twilight Princess back in the day and also I want to be able to compare both versions for myself.

sazzy

will it help the framerate if you set your wii u tv output to 720p instead of 1080p?

I can deal with more jaggies in lieu of a better framerate

dickroach

I've got the WU version pre-ordered; picking it up first thing friday.

I'll grab a Switch when 1-2 Switch is a pack in, and there's a library of games I give a shit about.... so, in November

Best Buy says I can pick up the Wii U version tomorrow. I'm also getting a Switch, and was planning to do the waiting in line for midnight thing that night - I love launches. But now there's a possibility I could be playing Zelda instead? Decisions, decisions.

Audioboxer

will it help the framerate if you set your wii u tv output to 720p instead of 1080p?

I can deal with more jaggies in lieu of a better framerate

The game runs at 720p so I don't see why this should matter. Unless the system upscales to 1080p instead of your TV.

Jhoan

I will be passing on it because I neither have a WiiU nor am I interested in getting a Switch for the foreseeable future. I will probably buy the WiiU version at some point because it's going to be hard to find in a few months. Avoiding spoilers on podcasts, social media, and gaming news websites is going to make it incredibly difficult going forward.=/

Audioboxer

I will be passing on it because I neither have a WiiU nor am I interested in getting a Switch for the foreseeable future. Avoiding spoilers on podcasts, social media, and gaming news websites is going to make it incredibly difficult going forward.=/

If you have a good PC that emulator CEMU will probably have it running decently fairly quickly. You could always buy a Wii U copy when that is the case.

arlucool

I remember someone recently said in one of the many BotW threads that the gamepad IS used for something in the game, but he didn't went into details as it was spoilery.

Madouu

The Wii U version looks fine to me. I do not see where all the complaints are coming from, but granted I am not that much of a stickler when it comes to framerate and resolution.

Most people have not played the game but feel the need to discuss it through the very limited information they have access to. Any slightly negative impression is blown out of proportion by insecure fans and console warriors alike, which in turn, feeds what I would only describe as a panic circle.

Almost everyone that has played the game on wii u for a long enough period of time has seen that although there are fps drops here and there - some of them heavy in very specific areas such as the villages - the majority of the time, the game runs and looks great.

Jhoan

If you have a good PC that emulator CEMU will probably have it running decently fairly quickly. You could always buy a Wii U copy when that is the case.
I do not sadly. I have a rudimentary laptop that's for basic stuff like MS Word and Photoshop. Games like Hotline Miami and especially Rogue Legacy chugged]on the lowest setting but Kentucky Route Zero ran just fine. Yeah, I guess it's better to be safe than be sorry and go with a Wii U copy and get a refurbished Wii U somewhere down the line.

Kadin

I remember someone recently said in one of the many BotW threads that the gamepad IS used for something in the game, but he didn't went into details as it was spoilery.
Yeah that would be me. So far (7ish hours in) it's nothing major but it is something that requires you to use it. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more.

Okay I'm back on the wiiu train cause the Switch will be a better buy later on if it comes bundled with a game, or has larger storage. The system is just too meh right now, especially for $400 CAD.

I just hope the framerate doesn't get too bad in combat, because inputs may lag and it'll be truely annoying.

Has Nintendo ever done a day 1 patch before? One can hope...

People who paid full price for a 3DS at launch to play Pilotwings for 3 months and refuse to be Nintendo'a "starter car" again.

Speaking of, I've bought a copy of Breath of the Wild on Wii U by accident (order on a site I made when it was announced and long forgot about). I've ended up paying £35 for it.

Should I return it, or could I flip it and make a profit?

Got my copy coming from Amazon that due to promos I spent £5 on.

People who paid full price for a 3DS at launch to play Pilotwings for 3 months and refuse to be Nintendo'a "starter car" again.

Speaking of, I've bought a copy of Breath of the Wild on Wii U by accident (order on a site I made when it was announced and long forgot about). I've ended up paying £35 for it.

Should I return it, or could I flip it and make a profit?

Got my copy coming from Amazon that due to promos I spent £5 on.
Theres some speculation that the WiiU version will be rare due to limited prints, just like Twlight Princess on GC, so it might be worth it to keep it sealed. Of course, video games make bad investments in general (for flipping) so who really knows.

Probably posted already here, but reiterating....

The game looks great, but I'm not sold on the Switch yet. I'll get Zelda, play it, and since it's Nintendo I doubt that the game will be a technical mess. Despite me not enjoying everything they make, I'm pretty comfortable saying that games they DO produce is typically pretty well done.

clem84

Gold Member
I wanted to get a Switch and get the Master edition. After seeing prices for the latter on the second hand market, I realized it wasn't going to happen. Thanks Nintendo.

I'm getting it on WiiU.

I'm actually kinda happy about this. Having to surrender the money for a Switch + Master edition was not something I was looking forward to. I'll probably get it later this year for Mario Odyssey.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'll wait to see if the Wii U version runs okay. I have no plans to buy a Switch anytime soon, so I may need to go for the Wii U version.

Are there any videos that show village gameplay on WiiU? I heard that's where the game starts to tank the framerate but I want to see it.

ch298807

I bought my Wii U specifically on the promise of Zelda. I'm not going to abandon her now.

Also no gamepad = using the Pro Controller for the first time since Bayonetta.

I fucking love the Wii U by the way.

Wii U version looks fantastic. No regrets. Switch is a must buy only when Mario lands.

jviggy43

Pretty excited for friday. Unfortunate that the gamepad isn't used but none the less, its been awhile since I got a zelda game day 1. Hope I can live with the framerate dips.

Hydrus

Wii U looks solid! I see almost no difference! Now I feel much better about not getting the switch. Was starting to have some regrets.

DeathPeak

I wonder if they'll patch in some more gamepad functionality once the Switch sells a decent amount of copies and feel they don't have to worry about the Wii U version stealing more sales?

I wonder if they'll patch in some more gamepad functionality once the Switch sells a decent amount of copies and feel they don't have to worry about the Wii U version stealing more sales?

I'm hoping they provide a performance patch more. But in either case it's going to be highly unikely. There's no reason to waste resources patching the last gen version when all hands are on deck for the Switch

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that is lazy development. Crazy for a brand new mainline Zelda game.

Not laziness, they likely were deliberate in not wanting map, inventory etc. their as they didn't want to give people more reason to stick with the Wii U for the game instead of upgrading to Switch.

Probably even shittier than just being lazy, but hey they want to sell their new platform so I guess I can understand. At least they didn't cancel the Wii U version and it seems to run pretty damn well despite the power difference to docked Switch so it could be worse.

Top Bottom