• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JC Lately

Hard drives should be fine. Its usb sticks specifically they say wont work; that’s always been their official guidance, but you hear about people using them all the time.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The framerate issues suck I guess but it probably won't bother me that much. Feedback from the Wii U version has been really positive despite that. Can't wait for friday.

Zolbrod

Is there a source for the bolded? I assumed I'd be installing the disc to my Wii U's external HDD. Don't know if I have space on the internal storage since I have an 8GB model.

External HDDs work, but USB sticks don't, if my understanding is correctly.

The NoA page states external drives are okay:

http://www.zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/buy-now
(bottom of page)

But the Japanese page clearly mentions USB sticks don't work (Japanese only obviously):

products_update_info_txt.png

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/products.html

gardfish

Quick question while we're talking about that mandatory install: will load times/performance be better (if only marginally) if I install it to the Wii U's internal memory rather than my external hard drive? Considering some of the reported framerate issues, I'd like to at least cut down on them a little bit.

Andamo

Neo Member
Still curious.
I am. They told me when I pre-ordered it that they'd be doing a midnight release, and they called me yesterday to remind me about it and invite me to it. I'm only getting the Wii U version of BotW when I go, nothing Switch-related.

kunonabi

Is the botw install off the disc? I can't find data packs for it on the Japanese eshop like they had with xenoblade x.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not buying at all. Not that the game looks terrible, on the contrary it looks fantastic but, there's some elements I'd have loved to see that just aren't present and...my potential enjoyment of the title went down the drain with that.

With that said the game looks masterful. Will 100% be the GOTY. If I were getting it, I'd be buying this sucker on the Switch, alongside the console itself for sure. I mean, there will probably never be a better launch game ever after this.

Jimrpg

Wow, saying no to Persona 5? I can't do it. I will do it on Horizon though, will get when it drops price.

Well not no for ever. I'll definitely get it discounted, maybe when its like $30... one of the reasons is I still want to finish Persona 4 Golden first so I'm happy to play that in the meantime.

Horizon looking so good went from no buy to buying discounted as well so Im really having to manage my "budget" (which I have pretty much spent all of in the first two months of the year).

And the other reason was - I'm uncertain how many Zelda Wii U copies will be made available, and I probably won't get a Switch for a long time, meaning Zelda needed to be Day 1 ahead of Persona 5. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get Persona 5 physical even a year from now. They're still selling Persona 4 Golden!

After watching some videos on the WiiU version, I just can't. I'm sensitive to framerates and it legitimately bothers me.

I am sorry I cannot be on WiiU along side you all T_T

breakfuss

After watching some videos on the WiiU version, I just can't. I'm sensitive to framerates and it legitimately bothers me.

I am sorry I cannot be on WiiU along side you all T_T

lol

Man can 900p really be that much better than 720. Both seem shitty but one to a lesser extent. Some of y'all got me worried.

lol

Man can 900p really be that much better than 720. Both seem shitty but one to a lesser extent. Some of y'all got me worried.

It's moreso the framerate. I'm actually looking forward to playing the Switch in handheld mode while laying in bed, so it's gonna be 720 anyway (but with more smoothness)

Same this and the Indy game announcements pushed me over the edge getting a Switch.

Yup, especially since I still haven't played Shovel Knight...or Thumper...or many other indies

Zolbrod

It's needs 3GB correct? I thought this was going to be a deal breaker because I use USB, but maybe I can find that much space on a basic.

Yeah, so that's the problem I'm facing too.
Even after moving all of my digital games and saves and patches and whatnot onto a USB stick, I'm still left with only 3.2GB on a basic(!)

Hope that's enough...

Yeah, so that's the problem I'm facing too.
Even after moving all of my digital games and saves and patches and whatnot onto a USB stick, I'm still left with only 3.2GB on a basic(!)

Hope that's enough...

LOL, maybe a factory restore will clean up OS patches. The thing serves one last purpose.

Well I also want to finish Tropical Freeze.

I still have a lot to play on the WiiU, so I see no reason to get a Switch at this point. I can wait until Black Friday/Christmas to see what kind of bundles they have.

SpacLock

So I plan on buying this for my Wii U.

Since I've been staying dark on this game for most of the week, how bad are the frame rate issues really?

Are they constantly low, or is the majority of gameplay smooth with dips here and there?

What issues outside of frame rates are there?

Are the graphics noticeably worse?

I can live with 720p, no problem. If the game didn't have cell shaded graphics then maybe the resolution would bother me, but not with the way it looks now.

Amazon also wrote me that they got their shit together and I'll get my pre-ordered game in time. Very happy about that.

With regards to USB: I'm using a USB stick for many years without a problem. The issue to look out for, and the likely reason Nintendo does not recommend them, are cheap and shitty USB drives that are/were abundant.

By shitty I mean drives with write speeds of less than 1 MB/s that tend to freeze up during sustained write operations. A USB drive with 20-30 MB/s sustained write speed works super well and is indeed a little faster than using HDDs due to lower random access times.

verbatimo

I have installed Xenoblade Chronicles X completely with all the data packs to Kingston 64GB USB and game never had any problems.

bigjig

I'm going to wait at least till E3 to see what else gets announced for the Switch. By that time I should be done with Horizon, Nier and Nioh. If there's a bunch of games I'm looking forward to announced for next year I'll get a Switch and Zelda. If not, I'll just get the Wii U version.

squall23

Why are the choices at launch or never? I have a Wii U, but I'm also building a high end PC very soon that will most likely be able to emulate the game hopefully at very high settings.

I'll wait until then to get the Wii U version.

aravuus

do we know if there's a preload?

Pretty sure someone said no. Still trying to decide between retail and digital myself. With retail I could play as soon as I get home on Friday (providing I find a copy, but I'm sure Gamestop at least has it) but I dunno if physical games tend to have longer loading times and whatnot on Wii U. With digital, I'd probably have to wait until Friday evening or so.

Floody

It was tempting for me, but I have more than enough to play that I'd rather just wait and get it whenever I get a Switch and play it at it's best.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Why are the choices at launch or never? I have a Wii U, but I'm also building a high end PC very soon that will most likely be able to emulate the game hopefully at very high settings.

I'll wait until then to get the Wii U version.
I think people are worried there will be a shortage of Wii U copies of the game if you don't buy it at or near launch.

Exodust

Banned
Pretty sure someone said no. Still trying to decide between retail and digital myself. With retail I could play as soon as I get home on Friday (providing I find a copy, but I'm sure Gamestop at least has it) but I dunno if physical games tend to have longer loading times and whatnot on Wii U. With digital, I'd probably have to wait until Friday evening or so.

I'm going digital only because I have unused Wii U credit and can't justify getting a Switch right now. Sucks about the preload. Would love to have it ready to go at midnight since I have nothing to do then.

Chinbo37

My Amazon UK order should ship today in time for arrival Friday.

Mine says shipping tomorrow (the 2nd).

I am not in the UK tho (in Lux) and it says arrival on the 4th to the 6th. Its being shipped to my office anyways so most likely I will be skipping boxing on Monday night :)

Chinbo37

I think people are worried there will be a shortage of Wii U copies of the game if you don't buy it at or near launch.

Ya i think that is the basic idea. Especially with some people having their pre orders cancelled I think there is a real chance that the Wii U version will be rare. Non unobtainable but you might need to pay more than retail in a couple of months.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wait wait, did someone mention in this thread that WiiU does have off screen play in the Gamepad?

I thought it was confirmed it was TV only??

I can't vote as i didn't cancel my BOTW Wii U order i placed when it was announced so i have BOTW for Switch & Wii U arriving on friday. I'm playing BOTW this week one way or another! :D

LogouT

Here's a video comparing the final WiiU build side by side with the Switch version in almost perfect synchrony. They look pretty similar to me. (Very beginning and early areas that have already been shown - so nothing "spoilery.")

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=YQbkBlpJX24

And here's a link for approximately an hour of gameplay on the WiiU version (again, nothing beyond the plateau).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwDb0VJvikc

I think the WiiU version looks great.

Honestly, I can't see any differences between the two versions in that comparison video. Gaf needs to relax - both versions look great!

Top Bottom