• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are infectiously catchy pop songs looked down upon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm extremely poorly versed on this, so I often saw pop music as an inherently Anglo speaking product (to which I do not agree with anymore). But surprisingly, I meet some people (here in the US) who internalized something similar. For instance, I knew this art student who hated mainstream music; but though ( probably due to his lack of further inquiry or his reliance in his cultural perspective) that it was OK for him to love reggaeton, which I find hilarious to this day. Because honestly, there's nothing more plagued with the "evils" of mainstream than reggaeton.

Ydahs

From my experience, there are many young teenagers who don't consider rap real music. They say it's all about drugs, violence, crimes, etc. Also from my experience, there are many young adults (low-mid 20s, mainly on internet forums and Youtube comments) who don't consider pop real music. They say the lyrics are shallow and the melody is derivative and it's not inspired at all.

Making blanket statements about whole genres is stupid. Making blanket statements about artists in particular genres is stupider. Sure, the most mainstream of pop songs might be garbage, but that doesn't mean that all catchy popular pop songs are garbage and should be looked down upon. There's the good and the bad wherever you look.

A good song is a good song, whether it be rap, rock, jazz, pop or folk.

Fakeness and tackiness are usually what put me off the most. Something like "I Kissed a Girl" is a great example of a song with zero artistic integrity; every part of it is painstakingly manufactured to make money. You can just picture the record execs rubbing their hands together with glee as they imagine all the free publicity the mildly controversial lyrics were going to drum up.

Show me a pop song that:

A) Isn't interested in appearing artificially cool or edgy
B) Doesn't have insulting stupid lyrics
C) Appears to have been written and performed with some degree of genuine feeling

...and I'm on-board.
See, this is what I was talking about above. You can't judge a whole genre based purely on the music produced by the biggest labels who sign and exploit talented artists. What you described is found in a lot of mainstream music across a range of genres.

Would you say Adele's 'Rolling in the Deep' and 'Someone Like You' lack feeling? Have mind-numbingly stupid lyrics? Are artificial.

Bastille's Pompeii is brilliant. It's more pop rock, but it's still one of the best songs I've heard all year.

Passenger's Let Her Go is a good song too. Basically put him on the map. I wouldn't call it an "example of a song with zero artistic integrity" with "every part of it is painstakingly manufactured to make money". This is him performing it on the streets of Brisbane back in 2011. He's a solo artist who focuses mainly in folk, indie rock (older albums) and pop (latest album), but once upon a time Passenger was actually the name of his band. Their first (and only) album was Wicked Man's Rest, a pop/pop rock album. It's a solid album worth checking out.

Tom Odell's Another Love is also solid. It might be a bit edgy, but there's definite emotion and the lyrics are decent too.

I know many songs above are a blend of pop with other genres, but that's basically the majority of songs out there today. They're still pop songs as much as they are alt-rock or R&B.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
^bleh, stuff like 3 chords and the truth is what makes me hate Christgau. Not that i like any music critic in particular, but he's the worst.

He really is.

Wait... Beyonce didn't write that song?

Wikipedia tells me the writers are Terius "The-Dream" Nash, Beyoncé Knowles, Wesley Pentz, David Taylor, Adidja Palmer, & Nick van de Wall.

Whoever 5 of them are.

Why do people care so much about lyrics

Thats one of the last thing you should care about in music, its way more important for the lyrics to sound phoenically good within the song then to actually have a DEEP meaning. Its a plus to have some cool ass lyrics, but really, isnt the music more important then the words theyre trying to say

I wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment. Good lyrics are an integral part of the song. Poor, thougtless lyrics are one of the easiest things that fuck up a song, imo, and a lot of pop music suffers from this.

Metal would be brusselsprouts.

Sure it's complex (healthy in this analogy), but it still tastes like ass.

ARNIEWRONG.GIF

Plus, as diverse of a genre as metal is, i don't think that constrain all the different subgenres to one exact kind of food is as apt an analogy as comparing it to a whole group of different styles but similar overall structure :p

I wholeheartedly disagree with this sentiment. Good lyrics are an integral part of the song. Poor, thougtless lyrics are one of the easiest things that fuck up a song, imo, and a lot of pop music suffers from this.

Depends on the song, coherent meaningful lyrics are important in a Bob Dylan song, but can be random and nonsense in a Nirvana or a Beck song. Lyrics need to match the tone and feel of the song, good lyrics just effortless fit the song, sometimes that means they just need to sound good rather than actually having any deep lyrical meaning.

PaulloDEC

See, this is what I was talking about above. You can't judge a whole genre based purely on the music produced by the biggest labels who sign and exploit talented artists. What you described is found in a lot of mainstream music across a range of genres.

I actually wasn't trying to condemn the entire genre, which is why I specifically referenced the common elements I dislike. If the songs you've listed pass the three criteria I posted, then I'm totally cool with them.

The point is something is "catchy" because it sticks in the brain. That doesn't mean the brain LIKES it, it means that there is something about the song that, structurally, captures the attention of the brain. If I think of a disgusting image, that is often VERY difficult to shirk, but the fact that it has "caught" my brain in some way does not mean it's actually enjoyable. As I said, brains work in predictable ways, even if taste or qualitative analysis do not.

the worst is when terrible songs get stuck in your head just when you are trying to sleep.

zoukka

Agreed, but does every song have to be a masterpiece of sound with beautiful composition and immersive soundscapes? Is there something so wrong with being able to enjoy a dumb catchy tune?

Nothing wrong with it, but one shouldn't expect praise for sloppy work nor be surprised if some people would vocally oppose such work reaching popularity.

huxley00

I think it is mainly the lyrical content, also its very evident that the artist didn't create the song themselves in most cases.

Thats what j and k-pop is so enjoyable. If you don't understand the langauge, its easier to like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom