• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Did You Cheat? Two Exes Confront Each Other About Infidelity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anticol

Banned
No wonder why he cheated on her, she seems naive as fuck and he seems like a scumbag,she forgiving him and telling him what a nice person he was and he in a way asking or expecting this compliments even after all the shit he did to her.

Both are terrible imo.

Nerazar

Horrible acting.

I would point to the expensive camera equipment, the video editor working from the back and the professional setting overall including the sound design - it's meant to get clicks, not to be real.

They probably acted on a real script, though.

zeemumu

I would point to the expensive camera equipment, the video editor working from the back and the professional setting overall including the sound design - it's meant to get clicks, not to be real.

I think the responses are pre-written but I'm unsure on everything else.

This is awful reasoning, no offense. It was a staged sit down and talk, but that doesn't mean it's acted. Just because it wasn't some cellphone camera in a coffee shop doesn't mean anything

There are some terrible people here. Yeesh. Wait until you're cheated on and see how that shit feels.

A lot of people who cheat have experienced their partners cheat before. I don't think after experiencing being cheated on, it discourages them from cheating tbh. In some cases, it's the very cause of them cheating.

A lot of people who cheat have experienced their partners cheat before. I don't think after experiencing being cheated on, it discourages them from cheating tbh. In some cases, it's the very cause of them cheating.
Dude not me. After knowing how it feels I'd never do that to someone, especially not someone I like enough to be in a relationship with.

edit: just to be clear, I wouldn't do that to someone even if I didn't already know how horrible it feels.

Dude not me. After knowing how it feels I'd never do that to someone, especially not someone I like enough to be in a relationship with.

edit: just to be clear, I wouldn't do that to someone even if I didn't already know how horrible it feels.

No doubt, it's fucked up but I think cheating has been normalized for me.

Malyse

Sr3mrfK.png

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=a.25723208418.32372.595628418&type=3&theater

They are real people. This picture is from October 2015

Them being awkward with each other doesn't make this fake, people.

Them being awkward with each other doesn't make this fake, people.

Maybe not fake, but definitely contrived.

Anyways it doesn't change much. This video isn't even insightful. (Proof = the personal responses in this thread, anger etc. and on Twitter) It's just pandering to people with a touchy subject without offering anything worth discussing. The cheater is just like "well I dunno I just kinda did it"

Goldboy

Cheating on my girlfriend throughout the last two year is the main reason we're still together.
She's a great girl, great sense of humour and personality, but we don't see each other enough and when we do our sex life is pretty drab,

Sleeping with other women behind her back just came naturally to me.

This is incredibly selfish and your attempts to justify it in this thread don't make you sound like any less of a terrible person. Just felt obligated to let you know.

This is incredibly selfish and your attempts to justify it in this thread don't make you sound like any less of a terrible person. Just felt obligated to let you know.

I can see how the act is bad or "terrible", but people are more than just their unfaithfulness in monogamous relationships to reduce them simply by that act and define them as terrible people. It's probably why some of ya'll can't understand why somebody would willingly stay with somebody they know is cheating.

JJMorris

I dunno. One of my close friends is a chronic cheater. He's the type of guy that constantly gets chased by women. Extremely attractive, charismatic, successful and in many ways a genuinely great, nice, guy. But he also cheats. A lot. Sleeps with taken women and has probably cheated on all his girlfriends. I always call him out on it and he knows where I stand when it comes to cheating but I have a hard time being too judgmental of him. We're in completely different situations and I have no idea how I would handle that kind of temptation. It's very easy for me to take the high ground. I think that's also why he often gets away with it and is forgiven. He's just living that life and so it becomes more acceptable.

If he's so charismatic and genuinely great, he wouldn't need to treat his girlfriends as a back-up when meeting other women. I have a difficult time to believe this someone is great if they're that inconsiderate of someone else's feelings. But I've seen stranger things.

Meh, perhaps. It's pretty rampart in almost all firms though (at least what I've seen from multiple people in multiple places.)

Of all the partners I've met from the Big4, about 50% are on their second wives. Not just B4 though, most of the partners/lawyers are all remarried, and I know a lot of them are fucking people in their offices.

Honestly it makes sense to me. When you work with someone for 10 to 12 hours a day, 6 or 7 times a week, eating dinner and lunch with these people, it does kinda mess with you. It's something that people maybe don't consider until they find themselves in the middle of it and then it's too late.

Yeah you build bonds with the people you work with constantly. But it seems the likely hood of cheating increases by the more money you make, which coincides with your professional "success". It's just odd that someone will commit to another, when they obviously still want to enjoy their single life.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I can see how the act is bad or "terrible", but people are more than just their unfaithfulness in monogamous relationships to reduce them simply by that act and define them as terrible people. It's probably why some of ya'll can't understand why somebody would willingly stay with somebody they know is cheating.

If you're willing to sleep behind someone's back rather than working to improve on the relationship you're currently in, then I need no further qualifier to determine whether you're a terrible human being or not. But nothing. Cheating is wrong, and the people who do are selfish shits who will get theirs in time.

If he's so charismatic and genuinely great, he wouldn't need to treat his girlfriends as a back-up when meeting other women. I have a difficult time to believe this someone is great if they're that inconsiderate of someone else's feelings. But I've seen stranger things.

I think because it's been normalized for men, especially "successful" men. Pusherman's post is not only the story of my life but the lives of most of my friends, acquaintances, coworkers and from what I've observed, admittedly anecdotal, from society in general.

If you're willing to sleep behind someone's back rather than working to improve on the relationship you're currently in, then I need no further qualifier to determine whether you're a terrible human being or not. But nothing. Cheating is wrong, and the people who do are selfish shits who will get theirs in time.

Here's something that may blow your mind, people cheat even when there happy with their relationship they're in.

JJMorris

I think because it's been normalized for men, especially "successful" men. Pusherman's post is not only the story of my life but the lives of most of my friends, acquaintances, coworkers and from what I've observed, admittedly anecdotal, from society in general.

Here's something that may blow your mind, people cheat even when there happy with their relationship they're in.

True, if someone were poor and cheated on someone, they would be justified as finacially unsuccessful because how they treat others. While if someone is wealthy and cheated, they would share the causation of it happening because they're rich and successful.

True, if someone were poor and cheated on someone, they would be justified as finacially unsuccessful because how they treat others. While if someone is wealthy and cheated, they would share the cause on the fact that they're rich and successful.

That literally has nothing to do with what I'm saying, but as Bill Maher said, "men are only as faithful as their options".

Happy or not they're still trash.

Ok, I'm trash. Thank you.

I've seen many types of cheaters...those who are unsatisfied sexually and seek fulfillment due to stagnant partners, those who are lifelong and it's their behavior, those who are happy but do it on circumstance. Point is, people cheat like a lot. It's sad.

Did you expect them to say otherwise?

I make no excuses for cheaters, but there is very seldom anything that's black and white.

No, my point is the act can be and probably should be looked as terrible, but I think it's misguided to define people solely on that when there's more to humanity than whether they're faithful or not in a relationship. People are much more complicated. Otherwise based on that logic John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr are Trash.

Goldboy

I get what you're saying, but cheating consistently in a monogamous relationship is a terrible act that can have serious long-term repercussions on someone's mental health and self-worth when they inevitably find out.

Good people can do bad things, but cheating consistently on your partner is a pretty damn terrible act that shows a total disregard for your partner's well-being. If it was a one time thing and they regretted it then it'd be unfair to judge their character, but cheating behind your partner's back with no intention to stop or tell them makes someone look pretty terrible.

I usually make an effort to avoid moral absolutism, so my views on this could definitely change, but there are some acts that reflect so poorly on one's character that I think it's a safe bet to rule them out as somebody with a lot of empathy for others.

If people are going to still fool around (or commit adultery when they're married), & don't want to answer to a man or to a woman about where they've been at, who have they been hanging around with, etc., then why the hell don't they just stay single?

This doesn't just go for men, but women also (Women are just better at hiding cheating on someone than most men are).

I get what you're saying, but cheating consistently in a monogamous relationship is a terrible act that can have serious long-term repercussions on someone's mental health and self-worth when they inevitably find out.

Good people can do bad things, but cheating consistently on your partner is a pretty damn terrible act that shows a total disregard for your partner's well-being. If it was a one time thing and they regretted it then it'd be unfair to judge their character, but cheating behind your partner's back with no intention to stop or tell them makes someone look pretty terrible.

I usually make an effort to avoid moral absolutism, so my views on this could definitely change, but there are some acts that reflect so poorly on one's character that I think it's a safe bet to rule them out as somebody with a lot of empathy for others.

I agree with your first two paragraphs, it's just I don't think cheating reflects much on their overall character but merely one aspect of it and only in the context of monogamous relationships.

If people are going to still fool around (or commit adultery when they're married), & don't want to answer to a man or to a woman about where they've been at, who have they been hanging around with, etc., then why the hell don't they just stay single?

This doesn't just go for men, but women also (Women are just better at hiding cheating on someone than most men are).

I can easily answer this. A lot of people don't stay single due to the stability and intimacy a relationship can provide.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I agree with your first two paragraphs, it's just I don't think cheating reflects much on their overall character but merely one aspect of it.

If you don't care how your actions affect someone you supposedly love, enough that you repeatedly engage in and hide an activity that could spread STDs to them and/or mentally and emotionally destroy them if they ever found out, that says plenty about your overall character.

If you cheat once and feel terrible about it and come clean and try to work out your relationship and not cheat again, that's completely different.

I think the second example can still be a decent human being who made a mistake, while the first example says something about the inherent nature of that person and their ability to disregard the physical and mental health of people they love for selfish, hedonistic reasons.

BamfMeat

No, my point is the act can be and probably should be looked as terrible, but I think it's misguided to define people solely on that when there's more to humanity than whether they're faithful or not in a relationship. People are much more complicated. Otherwise based on that logic John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr are Trash.

I know, I get you, I was agreeing with you. That's why I said cheating is very seldom black and white.

If you don't care how your actions affect someone you supposedly love, enough that you repeatedly engage in and hide an activity that could spread STDs to them and/or mentally and emotionally destroy them if they ever found out, that says plenty about your overall character.

If you cheat once and feel terrible about it and come clean and try to work out your relationship and not cheat again, that's completely different.

I think the second example can still be a decent human being who made a mistake, while the first example says something about the inherent nature of that person and their ability to disregard the physical and mental health of people they love for selfish, hedonistic reasons.

The first time I cheated I felt terrible, but I'm not going to lie that afterward once getting over it, it made it easier the next time I cheated.

I'm only saying this for understanding why people can continue to cheat and reconcile any moral quandaries about it.

xelios

The first time I cheated I felt terrible, but I'm not going to lie that afterward once getting over it, it made it easier the next time I cheated.

I'm only saying this for understanding why people can continue to cheat and reconcile any moral quandaries about it.

As a grown adult, you are fully capable of finding someone who agrees to have an open relationship with you rather than chronically misleading someone who doesn't. If you choose the latter, it does say a lot about you.

As a grown adult, you are fully capable of finding someone who agrees to have an open relationship with you rather than chronically misleading someone who doesn't. If you choose not to, it does say a lot about you.

Judge away. I'm only being honest and providing a perspective for others to get a better understanding. For example, IMO most guys don't want to be with a woman that's ok with being in an open relationship. Ego wise, a lot of men couldn't handle it.

BamfMeat

I agree with you, most won't.

Being a cheater isn't the only characteristic of you, but people will only see the bad.

My husband had a year+ long affair behind my back and gaslighted me about it the entire time. His cheating, while fucking my brain up (and he gets no leeway for that), doesn't define him as the person he is. He is a multi-faceted individual with good and bad points.

At this juncture, we've not determined if we'll stay together, but I understand why he did what he did. My understanding doesn't make it (or what he did) right, but it also doesn't make him literally Hitler.

xelios

IMO most guys don't want to be with a woman that's ok with being in an open relationship. Ego wise, a lot of men couldn't handle it.

And, if they're chronic cheaters, the fact they believe they're allowed to cheat while their partner has to remain monogamous just makes them even worse people, because they completely understand and fear the effects it would have on them if their partners cheated, but still choose to do that very thing to their partners while holding them to a different standard.

And, if they're chronic cheaters, the fact they believe they're allowed to cheat while their partner has to remain monogamous just makes them even worse people, because they completely understand and fear the effects it would have on them if their partners cheated, but still choose to do that very thing to their partners while holding them to a different standard.

I don't necessarily disagree, but hasn't that double standard been the legacy of relationships?

I agree with your first two paragraphs, it's just I don't think cheating reflects much on their overall character but merely one aspect of it and only in the context of monogamous relationships.

Idk, saying "I'm untrustworthy, but only to my partner!" isn't exactly something not to be ashamed about. Everyone is multifaceted; assuming you're not a murderer or something your flaws won't make you "pure evil" but they're flaws that shouldn't be downplayed because maybe a lot of people do it

Idk, saying "I'm untrustworthy, but only to my partner!" isn't exactly something not to be ashamed about. Everyone is multifaceted; assuming you're not a murderer or something your flaws won't make you "pure evil" but they're flaws that shouldn't be downplayed because maybe a lot of people do it

How about somebody who cheats isn't a good reflection of whether or not they're a good person. It could definitely reflect how they're not good at being faithful in a relationship though.

Future

I dunno. One of my close friends is a chronic cheater. He's the type of guy that constantly gets chased by women. Extremely attractive, charismatic, successful and in many ways a genuinely great, nice, guy. But he also cheats. A lot. Sleeps with taken women and has probably cheated on all his girlfriends. I always call him out on it and he knows where I stand when it comes to cheating but I have a hard time being too judgmental of him. We're in completely different situations and I have no idea how I would handle that kind of temptation. It's very easy for me to take the high ground. I think that's also why he often gets away with it and is forgiven. He's just living that life and so it becomes more acceptable.

This is actually a good point. It's very easy to take the high ground when you aren't in the position where you may get tempted day in and day out. Not sure exactly what I'd do. I'm not a fan of cheaters but I'm also not a very jealous person and wouldn't really give a shit about it. I've been in an open relationship before and it was fine

How about somebody who cheats isn't a good reflection of whether or not they're a good person. It could definitely reflect how they're not good at being faithful in a relationship though.
When does something like that not become a "good reflection"? Listing specific conditions needed for you to hurt other people doesnt let you off the hook. Or do people often go "Yes I hurt people in this specific way regardless of context and potential victim"?

BruinsMtB

Banned
Judge away. I'm only being honest and providing a perspective for others to get a better understanding. For example, IMO most guys don't want to be with a woman that's ok with being in an open relationship. Ego wise, a lot of men couldn't handle it.

Lol. I can't deal with being in a relationship that's fair and doesn't hurt my partner because of my ego, but fuck her feelings I still gotta stick my dick in someone new.

When does something like that not become a "good reflection"? Listing specific conditions needed for you to hurt other people doesnt let you off the hook. Or do people often go "Yes I hurt people in this specific way regardless of context and potential victim"?

I don't know, to my credit I've never been caught therefore there hasn't been any hurt as result of it.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Whatever helps you sleep at night. When I was in college and going through relationships relatively quickly I cheated on a few girls felt no remorse about it when I got caught.

I don't know how old you are but as a grown adult I would never deceive my girl like that. Too foul.

THat's not to say you're a bad guy but it's definitely a serious character flaw that you're just brushing off like it's no big deal. People who you love's feelings should matter to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom